Hydaelyn Role-Players
Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay (/showthread.php?tid=11358)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - K'nahli - 04-28-2015

Does anyone with any experience with tarot card and fortune telling RP, or those whom have ideas for roleplaying their future Astrologian, have any advice, tips or resources for those who are completely new to it?

It sounds like something that might be incredibly difficult to wing on some basic and recurring details so I'd like to get as much information as possible.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Cliodhna Eoghan - 04-28-2015

i've been to a couple ic, one was an event here (sadly i didn't get time to actually get a reading) i got one from a hod tavern night (i can't recall the name but it was one of the cutest little lala's and they were actually doing a reading with cards as i answered their questions) and the third was a private session with erik and the card reader ic. (they had us pick two numbers over tells for a couple of the cards and then they proceeded with the reading from that point on) the ones i was able to get were very accurate....both ic and ooc surprisingly o__O

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Wymsical - 04-28-2015

Actually, this is what I'll be doing with my astrologian. I've purchased a particular Tarot deck and will be doing an actual reading in tandem with the roleplay instead of using randomized cards or numbers online. I considered using an Oracle deck but I'm not as familiar with that format. Plus, the concepts on the standard 78-card Tarot deck are easily translated to XIV, at least ones with more traditional illustrations and meanings. I'll also be using different spreads depending on what the person she's reading wishes to know. 

I hope people will like that extra bit of 'authenticity'; I really enjoy reading Tarot and this was the perfect way to incorporate it!

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - cuideag - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 12:35 PM)Wymsical Wrote: Actually, this is what I'll be doing with my astrologian. I've purchased a particular Tarot deck and will be doing an actual reading in tandem with the roleplay instead of using randomized cards or numbers online. I considered using an Oracle deck but I'm not as familiar with that format. Plus, the concepts on the standard 78-card Tarot deck are easily translated to XIV, at least ones with more traditional illustrations and meanings. I'll also be using different spreads depending on what the person she's reading wishes to know. 

I hope people will like that extra bit of 'authenticity'; I really enjoy reading Tarot and this was the perfect way to incorporate it!

That is really rad and I wish I had the patience to do the same. I'd be interested in seeing how it plays out as well!

(04-28-2015, 12:35 PM)Wymsical Wrote: Actually, this is what I'll be doing with my astrologian. I've purchased a particular Tarot deck and will be doing an actual reading in tandem with the roleplay instead of using randomized cards or numbers online. I considered using an Oracle deck but I'm not as familiar with that format. Plus, the concepts on the standard 78-card Tarot deck are easily translated to XIV, at least ones with more traditional illustrations and meanings. I'll also be using different spreads depending on what the person she's reading wishes to know. 

ohh let me know when you do, i love getting readings done >u<

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Dogberry - 04-28-2015

I've done IC tarot readings, as well. Most of it has been for large groups of people waiting. I've done three card spreads, mostly one card draws for brevity, and a full "star" formation for the few sessions where I had the time. I do actually have the cards, and I do "real" readings.

I intend to host more events with Iskierka telling fortunes, but planning and logistics keeps me from making it a regular thing. If we band together, we can probably host larger events for people. All I know is, every time I've offered tarot readings IC, I have been completely overrun by people, and have spent hours doing one-card readings because that is all I've had time for. It's always been a lot of fun, but it's also a lot of work and I usually spend hours trying to organize people and trying to balance giving personal attention to people who came to the event and trying to make sure I see as many people as possible.

Speaking of which, Clio, I owe you a reading. Bug me on Dogberry and I'll switch over to Iskierka for you.

As for the actual RP, while Iskierka is a witch and does actually do magic, she will admit that any claims of her being an "oracle" are merely for entertainment purposes, and that she does not actually see the futures. She admits that while cards do have specific meanings, they are broad enough that she can apply them to any situation on the spot, and that what she's really doing is reading people and telling them what they need to hear. When pressed about her readings being her just stating the obvious, her defense is that most people don't really want to hear obvious common sense, so she dresses it up as mysticism and most people seem more willing to accept it.

(04-28-2015, 12:54 PM)Dogberry Wrote: I've done IC tarot readings, as well. Most of it has been for large groups of people waiting. I've done three card spreads, mostly one card draws for brevity, and a full "star" formation for the few sessions where I had the time. I do actually have the cards, and I do "real" readings.

I intend to host more events with Iskierka telling fortunes, but planning and logistics keeps me from making it a regular thing. If we band together, we can probably host larger events for people. All I know is, every time I've offered tarot readings IC, I have been completely overrun by people, and have spent hours doing one-card readings because that is all I've had time for. It's always been a lot of fun, but it's also a lot of work and I usually spend hours trying to organize people and trying to balance giving personal attention to people who came to the event and trying to make sure I see as many people as possible.

Speaking of which, Clio, I owe you a reading. Bug me on Dogberry and I'll switch over to Iskierka for you.

As for the actual RP, while Iskierka is a witch and does actually do magic, she will admit that any claims of her being an "oracle" are merely for entertainment purposes, and that she does not actually see the futures. She admits that while cards do have specific meanings, they are broad enough that she can apply them to any situation on the spot, and that what she's really doing is reading people and telling them what they need to hear. When pressed about her readings being her just stating the obvious, her defense is that most people don't really want to hear obvious common sense, so she dresses it up as mysticism and most people seem more willing to accept it.
[Image: pokemon_entei.gif]
*stares at post*
[Image: 28813177]
*stares at sig*

i thought that was two different people. o___________________O;;;;;;
still that would be dapper if you have time for it at some point! Big Grin thank you for remembering about it >u<

MOST DEFINITELY

People are often surprised that I play Iskierka.

(04-28-2015, 12:54 PM)Dogberry Wrote: I've done IC tarot readings, as well. Most of it has been for large groups of people waiting. I've done three card spreads, mostly one card draws for brevity, and a full "star" formation for the few sessions where I had the time. I do actually have the cards, and I do "real" readings.

My Au Ra will handle things completely differently but variety is fantastic! I'd actually love to do events revolving around fortune telling, maybe even listing the different readers and their style/speciality in some IC fashion! It'd be great to arrange sometime after HW launch! I'd love to discuss it.  c:

(04-28-2015, 01:04 PM)Dogberry Wrote: MOST DEFINITELY

People are often surprised that I play Iskierka.
well before i further derail this (in a mod thread to boot... Blush ) amazing job, you've had me thinking it was two people up till this point! Laugh

Yeah, I definitely think if we got a bunch of us together and held events we could serve people that want their fortunes told with the time and attention needed to make for fun RP without feeling rushed or having to let people down. I know when I've done it I've always been disappointed that I've had to leave people out. I certainly don't like letting people down. Plus, even with the fine folks of Soliloquy managing front of house, the sheer amount of people and work doing every reading and coming up with something for everyone was actually pretty mentally exhausting. It's why I haven't done another event. I want to cool my heels a little bit because it's a lot of work. I think we can divide this labor pretty easily.

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Nebbs - 04-28-2015

Yes nebbs has done several palm readings and more strange reading... spray paint chromatograph of your aura?

Also Clouse does card readings  http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=10939&highlight=clouse

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Lutra - 04-28-2015

I am very excited for this aspect of RP! I've never actually given readings to others before, but it is a long term interest of mine. I have a few books on the subject I'll be picking up closer to release to refresh myself.

My only personal caution is to wait until we actually see the cards Astrologians receive? Unless I've missed the lore somewhere, I don't think there is any mention of full tarot decks in the game. (Please feel free to correct! I'd love to read more about the in game lore given on fortunetelling/astros.) I'd imagine that the cards we'll be using will be far more limited than IRL.

I know of some others that are just using full decks at the moment, and that's fine too! I guess I just want to see what is available lore-wise, firstly. :3

RE: Astrologian And/Or Tarot Card Roleplay - Mercer - 04-28-2015

Depending on what system you use, it's pretty darn easy to do. I used to do it with my magic character in City of Heroes. The simpler the system the better, make sure it's straightforward and easy to describe.

(04-28-2015, 03:04 PM)Lutra Wrote: My only personal caution is to wait until we actually see the cards Astrologians receive? Unless I've missed the lore somewhere, I don't think there is any mention of full tarot decks in the game. (Please feel free to correct! I'd love to read more about the in game lore given on fortunetelling/astros.) I'd imagine that the cards we'll be using will be far more limited than IRL.

You're correct that the in-game Astrologian deck is much smaller than a Tarot one (6 or 8 cards, that I recall). That is likely for a gameplay reason since many more would jus hamper smooth skill use. I have been making the assumption that the cards Astrologians use are very particularly chosen and aesthetically tuned ones for the purposes of battle and healing, and that other card decks for more 'mundane' purposes could very well exist. Not explicitly stated in lore, but I wouldn't say it's a far stretch. Cards and fortune telling have spanned time and cultures! Using such a small deck would be very limiting for fortune telling.