Hydaelyn Role-Players
Au Ra girls and Padjali - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Au Ra girls and Padjali (/showthread.php?tid=11351)

Pages: 1 2

Au Ra girls and Padjali - Blue - 04-28-2015

So... has the thought tickled anyone's mind yet?

It just occurred randomly to me today while playing around with the character creator. I've always wanted to make a child character (not necessarily a Padjal, but definitely not a Lalafell, I don't like chibis >_< .... ), and I've finally achieved this by making an Au ra girl with both breast and height sliders to 0, plus face 2 and lastly the short emo haircut. I think there is no youngest look you could make than this.

[Image: 553ea95922c39229733b617f.jpg]

I'll be the proud RPer of a 14-16 years old Au Ra refugee! I cannot wait.

But back to topic. I don't know if there is any gear that can erase the tail as of now (aside the UGH eventstar coat), but if there was.... is anyone out there tempted to use an Au Ra girl to RP a Padjal?

Who would do it, and how/why?

And who wouldn't do it? *raises hand, is more than happy with the Au Ra child*

And if you stumbled on someone who was doing it, how would you react? Would you set Gridania on fire, or play along?

Discuss, in a civil way!

RE: Au Ra girls and Padjali - Spethah - 04-28-2015

I am one for visual closeness. I would rather see someone use a Midlander and just explain that they have stubs for horns right now which makes them not entirely visible than have someone as an Au Ra with horns in the wrong place and scales that I simply cannot ignore. Not to mention they have to sound convincing that they are a Padjal and from what I've experienced so far with the people that have tried, it's been a major failure and that's just with Midlanders. Auri will not help.

RE: Au Ra girls and Padjali - Blue - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 03:00 AM)Septha Wrote: I am one for visual closeness. I would rather see someone use a Midlander and just explain that they have stubs for horns right now which makes them not entirely visible than have someone as an Au Ra with horns in the wrong place and scales that I simply cannot ignore. Not to mention they have to sound convincing that they are a Padjal and from what I've experienced so far with the people that have tried, it's been a major failure and that's just with Midlanders. Auri will not help.

You've got to admit however than with the shorter height than any-but-lala race and the horns factor, a Au Ra girl will be much closer to a Padjal look than a midlander male or female could ever achieve. They're just too tall.

(Also if I'm not mistaken, Face 1 can be ridden almost entirely of scales, and the rest could probably be covered with a robe, so tail aside, there definitely are ways to pull it off.)

RE: Au Ra girls and Padjali - Hyakki - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 02:43 AM)Blue Wrote: And if you stumbled on someone who was doing it, how would you react? Would you set Gridania on fire, or play along?

Mamushi wouldn't buy it at all and thinks the individual is crazy. The course of action is to smile, nod, and exit as quickly as possible to avoid conflict. Crazy people tend to lash out when you doubt them.

OOC, I am of the same opinion as Septha. The appearance isn't believable.

RE: Au Ra girls and Padjali - Meena - 04-28-2015

I'm sort of.. against roleplaying the races as anything else than what they actually are visually. I know that the padjal are a thing but they are such a rare thing and they are -only- from our knowledge found in Gridania. You would need to only roleplay in gridania and never upset that balance. Given how suspicious of outsiders gridanians are that would make it doubly difficult.

RE: Au Ra girls and Padjali - DrDucker - 04-28-2015

i am of the mind of - do whatever you please!

if people tend to take it as bad OOC, then are they the people you really would be rping with consistently anyways? the people that take it in stride IC would be the people you'd be doing stuff with anyways

also, the floodgates to me, are open when miqo'te dragoons became a thing

but thats just me, i find it easy to suspend disbelief in a fantasy genre

RE: Au Ra girls and Padjali - Spethah - 04-28-2015

I've always believed you can do what you wish in fantasy so long as you make it believable. I've seen a few people at the moment that have been an extremely convincing Au Ra that's just hiding their appearance under a cloak. It can be done guys and you have the right to do it, I just personally prefer a visually look due to the fact I remove name tags when RPing for the same reason.

Thanks for the responses all, I was really curious to see how people would open to this idea.

I mean, personally I don't have a problem. We already have people RPing full-blood Garleans, with third eye and all, and there's also people RPing Au Ra even though it isn't a playable race -just yet-, so I wondered how far from them Padjali were located in the community's mind.

If anyone ever decides to give this a try, please lemme know how you do it and if you enjoy the experience, as well as how your RP is received by others!

RE: Au Ra girls and Padjali - Warren Castille - 04-28-2015

The Padjali are a different sort than, say, a Garlean or a Miqo DRG. They're an extremely rare race created by the Elementals to help protect the forest, and (currently) the only people granted Succor besides the WoL. Miqo'te dragoon is rare, but not impossible. There's a whole nation of full-blood Garleans. Padjali are basically relegated to NPC-tier accessibility - You could do it, sure, but you'd be limited to only operating in the Shroud and you've got all the burden of putting the forest first.

With what we know about them at this current state in time, it doesn't seem fun or fulfilling. Subjective opinion is subjective.

RE: Au Ra girls and Padjali - FreelanceWizard - 04-28-2015

If one were going to do it, the Au Ra are relatively close in appearance, I suppose. One could handwave the tail and scales if desired. This might be a useful approach for NPCs in a plot, perhaps.

With that in mind, though, the Padjal are quite rare and pretty important magically, religiously, and politically in Gridania. That sort of thing is something I shy away from and I generally advise others to as well; only heartache and tears lie down the road of RPing something of such significant import and power. Beyond the reactions from other PCs to it, you also have to come up with a reason why you're not spending most if not all of your time working with the other Seedseers to run the city-state's affairs. All in all, it's a pretty tricky thing that I don't know is likely to work out very well in practice, I'm afraid.

(04-28-2015, 09:43 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: If one were going to do it, the Au Ra are relatively close in appearance, I suppose. One could handwave the tail and scales if desired. This might be a useful approach for NPCs in a plot, perhaps.

With that in mind, though, the Padjal are quite rare and pretty important magically, religiously, and politically in Gridania. That sort of thing is something I shy away from and I generally advise others to as well; only heartache and tears lie down the road of RPing something of such significant import and power. Beyond the reactions from other PCs to it, you also have to come up with a reason why you're not spending most if not all of your time working with the other Seedseers to run the city-state's affairs. All in all, it's a pretty tricky thing that I don't know is likely to work out very well in practice, I'm afraid.

Well, while it's true that there certainly are more full-blooded garleans in the world than Padjali, there certainly isn't more in Eorzea. Except for the important generals, the imperials we find in castrums all belong to the countries the Empire seized and conquered.

And yes, I do know of how limited Padjali would be in terms of where they can go and what they can do. I Roleplayed an Immortal on FFXI (they were the profession behind Blue Mage job, the elite of the Empire in charge of protecting the Empress. In short, much like Sultansworn), and as that character I could not leave the imperial city. However, you also brought up an interesting point that I did not think about. This could be an easy route to RP a full-fledged White Mage and suffer no community scorn for doing so, since Padjali can use Succor.

All in all, I am seeing even pro's and con's in this. I suppose it will ultimately fall on the roleplayer to decide which route is best. Thanks for sharing!

RE: Au Ra girls and Padjali - Warren Castille - 04-28-2015

There's a world of difference between working in a city and being a pillar of it.

RE: Au Ra girls and Padjali - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-28-2015

(04-28-2015, 09:17 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: The Padjali are a different sort than, say, a Garlean or a Miqo DRG. They're an extremely rare race created by the Elementals to help protect the forest, and (currently) the only people granted Succor besides the WoL. Miqo'te dragoon is rare, but not impossible. There's a whole nation of full-blood Garleans. Padjali are basically relegated to NPC-tier accessibility - You could do it, sure, but you'd be limited to only operating in the Shroud and you've got all the burden of putting the forest first.

With what we know about them at this current state in time, it doesn't seem fun or fulfilling. Subjective opinion is subjective.

(04-28-2015, 09:43 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: If one were going to do it, the Au Ra are relatively close in appearance, I suppose. One could handwave the tail and scales if desired. This might be a useful approach for NPCs in a plot, perhaps.

Adding to Warren and Freelance's posts, I would like to also remind that the Padjal aren't just super-special Hyuran and Elezen children that were chosen by the Elementals. They also come from long-time established families that have been living in the Black Shroud. What this would imply is that they are not only incredibly rare, but certain families that have been known for producing powerful conjurers (like hearers) are much more likely to be selected by the Elementals to become Padjal. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to believe that Gridanians would almost expect that a new Padjal came from one of those families.

An Au Ra on the other hand, also has horns in the wrong places, scales and a tail. I could see one being used as a placeholder NPC, but not necessarily a character due to how rare Padjal are. (No to mention that most padjal horns are asymmetrical)

Additional/helpful reading on Padjal:

Sounsyy post here: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=10257&pid=150168#pid150168
SE post here: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61317-Padjal-Naming-Conventions?p=983986&viewfull=1#post983986

RE: Au Ra girls and Padjali - Saefinn - 04-28-2015

I'd say do it how you feel works for you and your character. If they don't look right to you, then it won't work. Some artistic license is permissible given the limitation of the character creator. For my Garlean alt, I stick a pair of Garlond goggles on a Hyur and add the 'Garlean Third Eye' to any description of when he walks in and introduces himself. Likewise, if a character has an injury. I dunno if people would find it hard to believe an Au Ra character is actually a Padjal, but personally? It would work for me, because I don't just visualize a character just based on what I see on my screen, but if a person's descriptions are good enough, then that will contribute well to the image.

I would say, you can break the boundaries of the character creator, but of course, once you start pushing too far out of the boundaries of lore, that's when people might get uncomfortable.

Of course, this is within reason as well, "hey I've got a Roe, let's RP him as a Lalafell" I would say "buy a Fantasia you tight bastard". Wink

RE: Au Ra girls and Padjali - Gone. - 04-28-2015

I think a short, youthful Hyur Midlander would still be a (slightly) better fit with a bit of imagination, but hey, I say go for it if you want. Either way, I want to RP with any Au Ra that adorable.