Hydaelyn Role-Players
How does everyone here think materia works? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How does everyone here think materia works? (/showthread.php?tid=11326)

Pages: 1 2

How does everyone here think materia works? - OttoVann - 04-27-2015

I want everyones various headcannons on materia please. All of it. Simple thread, but Im hoping to really incorporate materia into rp soon. Otto needs it since hes so powerless

RE: How does everyone here think materia works? - Aaron - 04-27-2015

I  assume it works like the type you use

Fire materia grants artificial fire use, strength materia strengthens your weapons integrity, mind and intelligence makes you smarter. Savage Might increases your damage output. 

Etc etc.

RE: How does everyone here think materia works? - Cliodhna Eoghan - 04-27-2015

really curious to see the replies on this one OuO ive yet to use materia in rp myself but this looks interesting.

RE: How does everyone here think materia works? - Gone. - 04-27-2015

Some form of strange Goblin magic I'd assume.

RE: How does everyone here think materia works? - Marisa - 04-27-2015

Placebo effect. Everyone just thinks materia makes them stronger because that's what they've been told, and nobody can really prove otherwise. Meanwhile, Mutamix laughs hysterically while rolling around in gil.

RE: How does everyone here think materia works? - ProvaDiServo - 04-27-2015

With Materia I essentially RP'd it as a modification to a stock attack. I used Shards to give an element and in conjunction I'd make attacks.

So something like...
Quote: Anne stocks a small pure glowing yellow materia, and an ice shard into the chamber of her blades hilt. She charges her blade with a few revs, and fires a pinpoint beam of ice aimed at her opponents feet to ensnare her foe!

RE: How does everyone here think materia works? - Steel Wolf - 04-27-2015

...wow, y'know what? I never even considered materia as an RP vehicle. I think we'll expect a Sounssy Signal on this one, but if the RP potential on this topic is like I think it is, I may have a way for my character to be a believable Dark Knight.

....bit of deus ex machina, which I'm not a fan of, but...well, I sorta wrote myself into a corner with her lack of magickal ability and knowledge. And I was going to use the mechanic in that whatever fuels DRK power is something that she's "attuned to" anyway...

I'm with Clio here. VERY curious about this thread's responses... :3

RE: How does everyone here think materia works? - Cailean Lockwood - 04-27-2015

I always assumed Materia is the same as in FF7. Condensed, materialized magic of sorts.

RE: How does everyone here think materia works? - Kellach Woods - 04-27-2015

Influences certain properties of the weapon/armor it is attached to, but overall affects the person rather than the object.

Fire materia make you more immune to fire as per the game's own systems, etc.

RE: How does everyone here think materia works? - DoomsdayClock - 04-27-2015

I'd be of the mind that others have suggested..that it affectvand augments the item its attatchted to. Honestly I've never seen anyone really rp it out and now that its been said I think its an awesome schtick idea, especially for a PC like Otto who could afford to really play with it.
Easily could become solid rp of finding someone icly who can apply it....the trails of aquiring certain types...
There is a ton that can be done with this.

RE: How does everyone here think materia works? - Warren Castille - 04-27-2015

Materia in XIV is a little different than VII's. VII has materia formed in places of powerful magical vicinities, but XIV makes it clear that materia are formed from equipment being turned into their base function. The relic quest even ends up with you converting your relic to make materia to fuel a Zodiac weapon!

I'm of the opinion they "work" by enhancing something aetherially. A weapon with augments cuts better by way of magical edge, armor is enhanced to resist attacks better, or help the wearer move more to lessen the hindrance of wearing it. It's not really defined how much the materia help, but it's certainly an interesting idea.

So with that in mind--the materia offering those enhancements to a weapon....would it be canonically feasible that a weapon would have so much materia infused in it that it becomes a source of wieldable magical power?

Or is there some sort of limit on how much materia a weapon can have before it just....turns into an aether bomb? I imagine the amount of slots is essentially this limitation in "gameified" form.

Pardon the possibly stupid line of questions, I'm just tossing concepts at the wall here.

RE: How does everyone here think materia works? - Warren Castille - 04-27-2015

(04-27-2015, 08:39 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: So with that in mind--the materia offering those enhancements to a weapon....would it be canonically feasible that a weapon would have so much materia infused in it that it becomes a source of wieldable magical power?

Or is there some sort of limit on how much materia a weapon can have before it just....turns into an aether bomb? I imagine the amount of slots is essentially this limitation in "gameified" form.

Pardon the possibly stupid line of questions, I'm just tossing concepts at the wall here.

Forbidden Melding is a thing! It allows someone to risk affixing materia to a piece of gear that's already "full." In 2.0, blowing up a meld means losing the materia but in 1.0? Failing a meld meant you lost the materia and the thing you were attaching it to. This meant that by trying to further push the boundaries on something's limits you could cause the whole thing to melt down.

Think of it like overclocking your computer. When done correctly there's an enhancement of performance with limited risk to the whole. When done recklessly there's a lot of instability and a precedent for crashing. Overmelding is basically the same thing.

RE: How does everyone here think materia works? - FreelanceWizard - 04-27-2015

Sounsyy will surely be here shortly with references, but conceptually, materia in XIV is the crystallized aetheric energy of the memories and experiences of the person using the object that was converted into materia. That's what the whole spiritbonding thing is all about. With that in mind, I view materia largely as Warren does; it magically alters the piece of equipment into which its melded, making it lighter, faster, sharper, or what have you. There's a finite limit to how much particular pieces of equipment can be enhanced in this way, which is why there's a limit to the number of melds you can perform, and why too many melds destroys the materia (or, back in 1.x, the whole item). I seem to recall Mutamix or one of his associates explaining why that's the case; my recollection is that it has to do with the aetheric capacity of different materials, but I'll be the first to admit I'm probably misremembering that. Smile

I know I posted a rep-up, but it bears repeating here--thanks for the food for thought, Warren. This helps out my conceptualizing immensely.

Of course, I'll await further discussion...and this runs the risk of that deus ex machine/special snowflake thing...but I'm not sure I have a lot of other ideas that fit, short of balling up the charrie sheet and Fantasia'ing.

*watches the thread* O__O