Hydaelyn Role-Players
Au Ra Character Creation Screens discussion! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Au Ra Character Creation Screens discussion! (/showthread.php?tid=11291)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Wymsical - 04-25-2015

There's honestly tons of potential for both tribes and their reasoning to come to Eorzea. Last bastion holding out against the Garleans, a land particularly rich in aether, a new place to explore, ect ect. There's lots of potential reasons for nomads or tribes to change locales as well. 

I definitely don't think it's fair to pass judgment on Xaela that don't come from a particular tribe or perhaps had some reason for leaving a tribe. Au Ra lore is a little more open-ended and that gives roleplayers a ton of different ways to deviate or simply reference their race's origin. Variety, as long as it's well-done and researched variety, is great and adds lots of dimension.

Edit: Also, Kismet has a very strong point about what an unforgiving world FFXIV is set in. I think we forget about that sometimes because of the art style.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Zhavi - 04-25-2015

(04-25-2015, 07:39 PM)Septha Wrote: Omg I want that bobcut so bad.

That 60s bobcut

I need this.

This only burns my further need to be the most kawaii of them all. 

In all seriousness though, I actually like the female look (even if I'm one that tends to hate the cute, this is oddly an exception). The male's eye look horrrrible in my opinion and is my main turn off for them. 

Also not all nomads are all rugged. Nomad is an archtype from which smaller ones are born from (example gypsies). Quite a few, mostly southeast asia, tend to be less rugged...but also have a hard male dominant system where the males have to be hardened and the females have to just be beautiful. I could go on for days on nomad sociology as well (I'm actually studying that right now) but bleh, let's not. It's just a video game after all, we don't have to force exacts on fantasy. If we did, magic wouldn't exist.

Eeeps, my mistake! The ones I've looked at (central eurasia and africa, though not all african groups, as there are many) all had been; southeast asia is actually an area I had never really delved into.

Please note it was a self-preference -- I don't expect anyone to need to enjoy the things I enjoy. One of the things I very much enjoy in my rp is to pull from rl, and endlessly fixate on details. It's not something everyone enjoys, I understand, but I do very much enjoy it for myself and those who enjoy getting into the nitty gritty with me. Smile

edit - and too, most of my points were to demonstrate that there is room for tragedy in nomadic groups, certainly not to say or to encourage everyone to have to play that way.

I've always encouraged people to play the way they want. It doesn't mean everyone will want to play with you, but there will always be others who will, and that's all that really matters.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Aaron - 04-25-2015

That black haired au Ra with the pinkish red eyes might be my waifu.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - K'nahli - 04-25-2015

Given the fact that we're not from Eorzea, I have little choice but to write the tribal thing off to a degree. Granted, I knew my character's family would be dead long before any of this lore came out, but I understand the pain of knowing that many, many Au Ra will be presenting similar stories. I can't really blame people for that but I do hope some people bring over the tribal aspect with them if they can find the means to. I'll certainly keep my eyes open and see if there's anything of interest that I could perhaps get my character interested in with regards that since I don't like deviating from the lore.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Spiritual Machine - 04-25-2015

(04-25-2015, 07:09 PM)Meena Wrote:
(04-25-2015, 07:03 PM)Moonlit Wrote:
(04-25-2015, 06:57 PM)Meena Wrote: I'm just hoping that the people who pick Xaela, know the lore and come up with a believable story. ._.;

Then again, a part of me knows most of it will be....
"I was raised by hyur"
"My clan was abusive so I left"

And I think this is okay. Some may see it as cliche, others may see it as creative, and some just won't care. People can decorate their sandbox as they please, so to speak. We can choose not to play in it.
xD I know, but their lore is so rich! It is like someone is stabbing me in the stomach every time I hear those sort of lines.

Everyone kinda just, makes up a sob story and rolls with it. Like whoa, why is everyone in Eorzea so unfortunate? Why does the player need to be the -last- superspecialsoleremainingpersonleftoftheirtribewhoshehatedbecauseitwasabusiveandsoshewasadoptedbyhyur.
Their lore is so rich? Where is it all then?

Oh, here it is.

Xaela: "Unlike their sister clan, the Raen, who lead solitary lives hidden behind the savage peaks of Othard's eastern reaches, the Xaela are free spirits who roam the vast western steppe in close-knit tribes hunting, gathering, and warring as their ancestors have for countless generations."

Raen: "Unlike their sister clan, the Xaela, who bloody the land with their endless tribal conflict, the Raen have embraced a life of tranquility and solitude, long abandoning the nomadic lifestyle of their ancestors to settle the deep valleys of Othard's mountainous eastern reaches. Only on rare occasions will one emerge from the valley mists to seek adventure in realms afar."

Emphasis mine.

So do Raen have to come up with a believable story too? Because we really can't extrapolate any useful lore from Yugiri's situation--it's too unique (selfless defender, last of her people, lives with huyr, made leader of a group of refugees).

What we do know is that Xaela sojourn in the western regions of Othard. If anything, that makes them a more common presence on most of the continent than their reclusive kin. That also makes them more likely to have encountered the Garlean march first. Remember that Doma in the far eastern mountains was one of the last city-states to be brought under Garlean rule.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - allgivenover - 04-25-2015

[Image: 2d9ac30c.jpg]

Check out this edgelord dream boat.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Zyrusticae - 04-25-2015

If there's a skin tone option that completely matches the scale color, I may be able to make this race work for me. Maybe. Possibly. Gotta wait 'til Monday I guess...

(04-25-2015, 03:54 PM)Jana Wrote: (And it's like that in BnS too, wtf)
Show Content

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - ArmachiA - 04-25-2015

I for one cannot wait to be an upbeat Gothic Lolita Xaela Princess.

I love Armi far too much to ever make my Au Ra my main, but main-alt? Possible.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Cato - 04-26-2015

(04-25-2015, 08:13 PM)allgivenover Wrote: [Image: 2d9ac30c.jpg]

Check out this edgelord dream boat.

Is he named XxDarkSephirothArthasxX? Big Grin

I'll reserve my full judgement until we get to play around with the character creation for ourselves. I have to echo the concern that the scales/horns feel tacked on though. At least the men are a lot less human looking than the other playable races so they have that going for them at least.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Meena - 04-26-2015

....am I the only one disturbed that the MAX HEIGHT for females is only 5'2? Like.. 5'2? Thats the average height for a 14 year old in my country.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - EveyVorai - 04-26-2015

(04-26-2015, 12:49 AM)Meena Wrote: ....am I the only one disturbed that the MAX HEIGHT for females is only 5'2? Like.. 5'2? Thats the average height for a 14 year old in my country.

Why ya'll gotta be short shaming, eh?

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - Cato - 04-26-2015

(04-26-2015, 12:49 AM)Meena Wrote: ....am I the only one disturbed that the MAX HEIGHT for females is only 5'2? Like.. 5'2? Thats the average height for a 14 year old in my country.

You're not the only one. Though it seems this is what the masses want - creepily short females paired with much bigger guys who look like they'll snap their women in two. Rolleyes

Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just isn't to my personal tastes.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - allgivenover - 04-26-2015

I guess being as tall as the average 14 year old in someone's country is pedophilia now. Better update all the RP police rules quick.

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - ArmachiA - 04-26-2015

THe average height for all women in Japan in 5'2" though >.>

(For comparison the average height for ladies in the US? 5'4". Come on now, 5'2" isn't extreme at all)

RE: Au Ra Character Creation Screens! - allgivenover - 04-26-2015

(04-26-2015, 01:00 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: THe average height for all women in Japan in 5'2" though >.>

PEDOPHILE NATION CONFIRMED