Hydaelyn Role-Players
How does your RL reflect into your character? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How does your RL reflect into your character? (/showthread.php?tid=11013)

Pages: 1 2 3

How does your RL reflect into your character? - SicketySix - 04-08-2015

So it's no secret that RP can be a way of taking on another life.
Often it's someone we wish we could be and so on. However that being said, I'm sure in our characters there are shadows of who we actually are as a person.

What similarities do you share between you and your RP character?

I will go first as to give some sort of example.
For instance.....

MANASA "ROWDY" REED

#1. He loves boats, the ocean, beaches, things like that. I also do as well, I have my own 18ft boat I take out and go fishing or just go for a cruise. I try to spend a great deal of time on the water during the spring/summer

#2. He is a loner, usually sticking to himself. I'm also like that. I'm incredibly friendly, and enjoy having friends, but more often than not, I'm in my own corner, tucked away by myself.

#3. He can be a complete asshole sometimes, totally un-afraid to speak his mind, or to answer a question with complete and brutally honesty. Me on the other hand, not so much an asshole, but I can be rude at times, and very up front with an opinion if asked for mine.

#4. He is a relationship pro when it comes to other people's lives, but absolutely clueless in his own. Myself, I can always tell when someone is flirting with a buddy, but I don't know how many times I've walked away from what I thought was an innocent friendly conversation just to have my buddies be like "uhh bro, way to blow her off" and I'm clueless to wait they are referring to.

So these are just a few examples, share some of yours!

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - Maril - 04-08-2015

I try to keep my characters as far away from my own personality as possible. However they are influenced by my general way of thinking.. And then I just really like red hair irl, used to have my hair colored that way but then it started falling out. I like having hair better so, today it's just Nailah that has it ^^ We might also have similar taste in men, sorta-kinda.

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - ChewableMorphine - 04-08-2015

I like this idea!
Flynt "The Hyena" Reddard

IC: Snooty rich prick with no sense of morals or a care about anybody but himself.
OOC: Middle class, frugal dork who prefers to care for a close ring of friends.

IC: Swears like a sailor
OOC: Swears like a sailor

IC: No concern for fellow life, combat crazed
OOC: Generally pacifistic

IC: Charismatic, devils advocate
OOC: Not as loud, but equally charismatic.

IC: No filter, chronic liar and a cheat
OOC: Slight filter, not fond of lying, can't cheat for the death of him

IC: Unapologetic
OOC: Horrible, horrible guilt streaks

On a physical aspect, facially identical, ICly obviously proportionally larger due to playing somebody far older than IRL Flynt.

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - CrimsonMars - 04-08-2015

I am nothing like Chiyo irl, except that we both like martial arts and girls.

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - Chris Ganale - 04-08-2015

Ganale basically is me with a longer military career and martial skills. Otherwise his past reads having huge chunks out of mine, and most of his likes and dislikes (catgirls!) are mine except for the rain, but he happens to have a disability that acts up in the rain and I don't.

Tahz is intended to be a reflection of all my good traits and none of my bad ones, which is why he's pretty one-dimensional. His being a goody-goody, wannabe knight-in-shining-armor is a reference to the fact that I don't seem to be emotionally capable of playing a villain or evil character. A few of his history things reflect me as well; I chose the specific number of challenges in which he failed to become nunh for a reason.

Seno is from another setting, where I explicitly made him to be a cooler me, and it's reflected in a lot of his actions and tastes. Less so in FF because obviously it's not a modern setting, but it's still there.

The others are either pre-existing characters I just took and modified or otherwise have very few noticeable traits. Ghost is also from another setting where he is another copy of me, but not so much here.

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - Cynel1 - 04-08-2015

Cyneler is a Bit like me with Being socially awkward and saying the wrong thing sometimes.

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - N'velhi Tia - 04-08-2015

I'm pretty much the opposite of my main, N'velhi.

Velhi repels most people with a foul mouth. He patronizes pretty much every stranger he crosses paths with, precipitates fights and is outright gross (flicks booger, openly scratches at his groin, belches, farts as loud as can be) in public. He doesn't take care of himself nor anyone else.

I, on the other hand, usually attract people with a sanguine outlook on most things, am usually behaved in public (depending on who I'm with, don't judge) and take good care of myself, and I'm usually very helpful and forgiving. I'm also not particularly fond of how tribes function.

I'm also not a pirate, contrary to popular belief.

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - ArmachiA - 04-08-2015

I think some of Armi's core beliefs are the same, but we're not really that much alike is most aspects.

IC: Shy, kind of introverted. Doesn't like being in large groups. Better one on one or in small groups.
OOC: Extroverted, friendly, not afraid of people, better in large groups than one on one.

IC: Has entire personalities for her plants and loves romance novels. Likes to Garden, likes to make tea. Collects stuffed animals. Favorite color is White.
OOC: Yeah none of the above. Armi is way cuter than me. I'm kind of gothy. Favorite colors are Red and Black.

IC: Kind of passive. Not really much of a fighter. Has no temper to speak of.
OOC: I am brash and loud, and I will fight you if necessary. While 90% of the time I don't have a temper - I tend to speak very neutral - 10% of the time I will be on your ass.

IC: Not even a little snarky.
OOC: Do you know how hard it is for a snarky player to play a non-snarky character? I deserve a medal.

IC: Not a jealous person.
OOC: Not a jealous person.

This is actually an intentional decision I make with all my characters because I honestly believe I would play a jealous character WRONG and make them a little too possessive. Since I'm not a jealous person myself, I honestly have no frame of reference and feel like I would make it more of a parody of people less open then me and it could turn insulting.

IC: Bit of a broken bird.
OOC: I'm long past the Broken Bird part of my life. Was able to come to some semblance of sanity years ago.

IC: Immature for her age.
OOC: Immature for her age Tongue. I still think I'm 25.

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - Aaron - 04-08-2015

Me and Aaron are nothing alike save for the heavy sarcasm. 

Physically though he's nothing like me either (tho I wish I had white hair omg yes)

He IS based physical and appearance wise off my obsession with the ice element. Not sure if that's counted though.

Other than that me and him are different. Im not a loner in the slightest nor am I reserved. I try to get along with everyone when I can.

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - Erik Mynhier - 04-08-2015

My rp is not so much based on my life as it is now but more based on my life 10-15 years ago when I was an officer in the service. Granted the rp is very fantasy based, but the core of it is based off of missions both real and training.

Erik's personal rp is basically a fantasy rp version of my early life, with names and events changed but basically the same.

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - Domri Blackblade - 04-08-2015

Besides hating feet and liking women, not much. I really try not to make my characters anything like me and I have a tendency to avoid those that do RP themselves because I worry about OOC/IC bleed when my characters (who tend to be major jerks in a lot of situations) inevitably insult them and their player by proxy.

They may think about situations in strange ways because of my strange social tics, but I really do let them take the reins and try to write them as well rounded, very different-from-me people.

They do tend to influence each other, however. But that's a different topic.

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - Berrod Armstrong - 04-08-2015

Berrod likes to work out, so do I. 

Uh. 

That's about it lol.

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - Zelmanov - 04-08-2015

I done some flippity floppity with my character

physically: 

Nothing is similar exception for the eyes. He is way more fit and handsome than I ever could be. 

Intelligence: Similar or at least Orrin possesses the same potential for book smarts as I do. He is not a downplay or an idealization of my own intelligence.

history/background: 

Orrin's only recently journeyed outside of Coerthas, I fly outside country and continent frequently

Orrin's adopted and parents unknown, though he accepts them as his own. I am well aware of my heritage, accept it and have my biological parents raise me. Both Orrin and I have parents that at least, to my knowledge seem happy together from 2 diverse backgrounds.

Orrin has a Military/Court background, I do not have that, though according to my grandfather(who is Japanese, yes) I am of Samurai lineage so I guess it comes for that.

Personality:  This is where we are the most alike and different at the same time. 

Both of us tend to pay no mind, not resort to force if not necessary. However where I am more passive and tolerant, Orrin by definition of being an Ishgardian is more confrontational and opinionated. However my RL personality tempers Orrin from less religious Zealot to moderate.

Orrin's more impersonal and not one for lasting relationships, more like alliance via proximity. 

Orrin also has the confidence that I severely lack. He can flirt, get shot down and keep going. I can talk to women fine, just not women I like (though he looks miles better than I do, so that may help XD) 

Both of us love our fine alcohols

In short, Orrin and I would not get along if we existed in the same world. Not enemies, but awkward. We do not share enough similarities to be pals or enough common ground to talk about to be drinking buddies. 

Which is fine by me to make a character that can be likeable but not someone I can necessarily get along with.

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - Zhavi - 04-08-2015

I recently realized I tend to make my characters have dark hair and eyes, which I have irl. Asides from that, there is really not much Zhi and I share in common (besides common things -- for example, she changes her manner depending on who she's speaking with, same as me (and most people, I'd imagine), just in different ways). Skinny little shit that she is.

RE: How does your RL reflect into your character? - Seriphyn - 04-08-2015

I am a slender and well-spoken low-ranking United States Air Force technician from London with a university education from Scotland who can't compete with the jacked gym dogs that does permeate some areas of the profession.

Kale is my opportunity to indulge in being all hardened, buff, gruff, and militaristic with a big dick also. While I enjoy theoretical discussions IRL, for example, Kale absolutely despises it. He is aggressive, and can be rude if he thinks you're being a waste of space. His way is the only way, and you are all measured by what tangible good you can bring to a situation. Compare an ESTJ (Kale) with my ENFP.