Hydaelyn Role-Players
To switch or not to switch? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: To switch or not to switch? (/showthread.php?tid=10972)

To switch or not to switch? - Hel Spites - 04-06-2015

For the last year I've been playing on gilgamesh, but I've been getting a bit tired of the server. I've heard a lot of good things about balmung. It sounds like it's a much more active server with a much bigger roleplayer population, which is nice but I don't really know much else about it beyond the fact supposedly that it's more active. I'd be giving up a small house in gilgamesh if I hopped over so it's not exactly a decision I wan to rush into. I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out by posting what you think of the server.

What's it like? How's the community? How're the roleplayers? How're the RP FCs? Are there a lot of them around or is most of the population centralized among a few? I'd be particularly interested to hear from people that have also switched servers. Was it worth it? Given the chance would you stay or switch back?

RE: To switch or not to switch? - Jerciex - 04-06-2015

Hello!
You are in tough situation. My suggestion is to make alternative character to Balmung and see how it is before making final decision, house and stuff. It is nice to have. All houses are sold mostly here.

Balmung is very nice server and I have been liked it alot here. Even I'm from EU-timezone. Community is active here and I don't regret being here. Only regret is that some events are out of my reach because of timezones, but luckily there is EU-timezone-friendly RPers too, so there is some event for me too. Ofcourse being popular server brings problems like very active RTM-spammer and stuff, prices can be high for people who aren't used to them like they are in Balmung, but it has nothing to do with RPers there ^^ I tell you to come see it yourself.

RE: To switch or not to switch? - Nebbs - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 08:44 AM)Hel Spites Wrote: For the last year I've been playing on gilgamesh, but I've been getting a bit tired of the server. I've heard a lot of good things about balmung. It sounds like it's a much more active server with a much bigger roleplayer population, which is nice but I don't really know much else about it beyond the fact supposedly that it's more active. I'd be giving up a small house in gilgamesh if I hopped over so it's not exactly a decision I wan to rush into. I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out by posting what you think of the server.

What's it like? How's the community? How're the roleplayers? How're the RP FCs? Are there a lot of them around or is most of the population centralized among a few? I'd be particularly interested to hear from people that have also switched servers. Was it worth it? Given the chance would you stay or switch back?

There are some that have switched who would be able to tell you exactly how it compares.

My advice, create an alt and come RP. I know a few who have done and are doing just that.

RE: To switch or not to switch? - Aris - 04-06-2015

Hello!

I moved over from Cerberus for the roleplay scene on Balmung. From my understanding RP on Gilgamesh is a little more private, but there are a couple of weekly events here, as well as rarer occassions like a Royal Ball coming up, a few different bar nights hosting in various private houses, a mixture.

Not often enough, but sometimes I come across random RP'ers around the world, which is really nice. Mostly it's held in Ul'Dah at the Quicksand, where people will be IC usually waiting for walk-up RP. I joined in yesterday with some strangers and they didnt mind at all. Smile Most are welcoming and encouraging. There are unfriendly people but you'll find that on all worlds I guess.

I would stay, I'm very happy here. I don't know if you're interested, but the PvE scene is active too. The PF usually has a static hunting for more members, hunt parties, or general stuff. The only negatives I can think of are that it's much more difficult for EU players, and pretty much all houses are taken, the small ones that were released were gone in a matter of days. It's definitely a very active server.

There are several RP FCs - some are listed here, but HPC is only a small chunk of RP'ers on Balmung and there are quite a few more. For that reason as well, I agree making an alt and visiting would be your best bet! I did that before moving over as well. Tongue

RE: To switch or not to switch? - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-06-2015

Hello!

THe best advice is pretty much what Delni said. While the community is faily large as far as I can tell, the best way to see some of it would be to make an alt and try it out before moving. For a quick sample, I'd pick a class that starts in Ul'dah and look around the Quicksand. It is one of the denser areas for open-world RP that is low-level-friendly.

I'm not too sure what RP on Gilgamesh is like, but RPers on Balmung range from the completely unskilled in combat city/townsperson, to non-adventurer mercenaries, to various forms of law enforcement (Blades, Flames, Sultanswon. Seen a couple Yellowjackets and Adders), to adventurers, and there are a few who play within the Main-Story Quests as Warriors of Light. I'm sure there's a group out there who could match your preferences! (As a generalization of what I've seen, most people do not play with the Echo or Hydaelyn's Blessing, and would not be considered Warriors of Light. Something like a dungeon run or a primal fight IC would be a greater concern to such people.)

RE: To switch or not to switch? - Menelwen - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 09:17 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: THe best advice is pretty much what Delni said. While the community is faily large as far as I can tell, the best way to see some of it would be to make an alt and try it out before moving. For a quick sample, I'd pick a class that starts in Ul'dah and look around the Quicksand. It is one of the denser areas for open-world RP that is low-level-friendly.

This right here is your best bet, and as far as getting a character on Balmung, I would highly recommend using World Alerts. All you do is select the server you want to watch, punch in your email, and as soon as that chosen server opens up for new characters you'll get one, maybe two, email alerts.

I've been using it for the past couple of months and have had no reason to complain. It has helped me get several alts made. Smile

RE: To switch or not to switch? - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 09:37 AM)Menelwen Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 09:17 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: THe best advice is pretty much what Delni said. While the community is faily large as far as I can tell, the best way to see some of it would be to make an alt and try it out before moving. For a quick sample, I'd pick a class that starts in Ul'dah and look around the Quicksand. It is one of the denser areas for open-world RP that is low-level-friendly.

This right here is your best bet, and as far as getting a character on Balmung, I would highly recommend using World Alerts. All you do is select the server you want to watch, punch in your email, and as soon as that chosen server opens up for new characters you'll get one, maybe two, email alerts.

I've been using it for the past couple of months and have had no reason to complain. It has helped me get several alts made. Smile

This thread can be handy too. http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=8957

I've found Balmung's generally open between about 2-6 AM PST. (Which kinda sucks for PST/MST people).