Hydaelyn Role-Players
Roleplaying Name Question - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Roleplaying Name Question (/showthread.php?tid=10965)

Pages: 1 2 3

Roleplaying Name Question - Nara'to - 04-06-2015

Howdy all, I come here to ask a question in which I hope I can get an answer to.

Can the name you give your character be the basis for whether others will roleplay with you or not?  I only ask because it has come to my attention by a few people while discussing ways to go about getting random roleplay that my particular name is a big reason for why I am not seeing any random RP.

I would love to hear the views of others so I can know.  My character is the second son of a woman named Nara.  I went by the naming conventions I came across for Miqo'te Keepers and thought it was pretty good.  Sadly most people seem to view my character as an Anime character ripoff.  I can see the similarity but I honestly didn't name my character that way, I really put my heart into my character.  To hear this has me worried.

I really don't want to have to reroll my character and waste over a month of hard work leveling just so I can roleplay with others.  I really need guidance and opinions because this has me greatly worried.

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Kellach Woods - 04-06-2015

It's an unfortunate situation because 1 letter off from Naruto and a Miqo'te (aka what everyone who picks a well-known character name defaults as) is a combination many will stay well clear of.

Honestly now that I've seen the origin of the name it makes a lot more sense and I'd definitely hit you up if I saw you in game.

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Enla - 04-06-2015

For some people it can be; as first impressions are generally vital when it comes to actually deciding whether or not someone might be worth coming out of your shell and engaging. I'd like to think that most people here are of the mind that a willingness to RP and a friendly demeanor are all that is truly needed when it comes to engaging others, but everyone is different and what one person might view as inconsequential could be a deal breaker for another.

Personally I don't really see an issue with the name, yes it made me blink briefly, but overall it fits within the naming conventions for the Miqo'te and even if it didn't it wouldn't hamper my willingness to RP with you if I ever ran into you in the game. My own 'on again off again' crippling shyness, yes - names, not so much really.

Just keep putting yourself out there and be yourself, eventually things will work themselves out and you'll find the people who won't see it as an issue at all. Seems like the simple answer, but being proactive is the best way to meet new people and get RP. Sign up for events, offer your character's services IC in-game, join several linkshells - if it's available and looks like an opportunity to meet new people while also staying true to your character TAKE IT. Don't be disheartened if it doesn't seem to bear any fruit either, just keep on trying and eventually it will. However if it keeps on bothering you and you can't stand it any longer, there is a name change option over at the Mog Station. However I really don't think that would ever be necessary and I hope you don't feel it comes to that.

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Nara'to - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 02:38 AM)Cylin Wrote: For some people it can be; as first impressions are generally vital when it comes to actually deciding whether or not someone might be worth coming out of your shell and engaging. I'd like to think that most people here are of the mind that a willingness to RP and a friendly demeanor are all that is truly needed when it comes to engaging others, but everyone is different and what one person might view as inconsequential could be a deal breaker for another.

Personally I don't really see an issue with the name, yes it made be blink briefly, but overall it fits within the naming conventions for the Miqo'te and even if it didn't it wouldn't hamper my willingness to RP with you if I ever ran into you in the game. My own 'on again off again' crippling shyness, yes - names, not so much really.

Just keep putting yourself out there and be yourself, eventually things will work themselves out and you'll find the people who won't see it as an issue at all. Seems like the simple answer, but being proactive is the best way to meet new people and get RP. Sign up for events, offer your character's services IC in-game, join several linkshells - if it's available and looks like an opportunity to meet new people while also staying true to your character TAKE IT. Don't be disheartened if it doesn't seem to bear any fruit either, just keep on trying and eventually it will. However if it keeps on bothering you and you can't stand it any longer, there is a name change option over at the Mog Station. However I really don't think that would ever be necessary and I hope you don't feel it comes to that. 
Thank you for the reply.  You've given me a better understanding now and I do hope people can look past my characters name.  I honestly didn't know I named my character after something else, I stuck with naming conventions was all.

I do like the name and I've put alot of heart into Nara.  I really didn't want to have to reroll and after what you said I will keep doing what I am, carefully observing others while learning and eventually put myself out there more.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate it.

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Duskwright - 04-06-2015

One thing important about Roleplay is that you should Always RP something you enjoy. If you like your character name, then by all means keep it. Just because others think it's an anime ripoff doesn't mean it does. (my excuse for things like this, is like. "Show me an anime where there was a mother named Nara and had two children. Cant? then it's not a ripoff.")

Personally, I don't include relations to Amh'ra's Parents, nor did his parents have any other Children, minus the whole " 'ra " part of his name. It was one of those moments where it was like "That name sounds good and fits the character appearance."

I've seen your name around a lot on here and I would've never associated it with any anime of any kind. Just now that you made this post made me realize that it looks like "Naruto" just a tad. Just remember, it's your character. Always enjoy and love the character you RP as, Screw what others think about him! Names are just a very small amount of the character, There is so much more about a Character than their name.

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Enla - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 02:42 AM)Narato Wrote:
(04-06-2015, 02:38 AM)Cylin Wrote: For some people it can be; as first impressions are generally vital when it comes to actually deciding whether or not someone might be worth coming out of your shell and engaging. I'd like to think that most people here are of the mind that a willingness to RP and a friendly demeanor are all that is truly needed when it comes to engaging others, but everyone is different and what one person might view as inconsequential could be a deal breaker for another.

Personally I don't really see an issue with the name, yes it made be blink briefly, but overall it fits within the naming conventions for the Miqo'te and even if it didn't it wouldn't hamper my willingness to RP with you if I ever ran into you in the game. My own 'on again off again' crippling shyness, yes - names, not so much really.

Thank you for the reply.  You've given me a better understanding now and I do hope people can look past my characters name.  I honestly didn't know I named my character after something else, I stuck with naming conventions was all.

I do like the name and I've put alot of heart into Nara.  I really didn't want to have to reroll and after what you said I will keep doing what I am, carefully observing others while learning and eventually put myself out there more.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate it.

If you ever see me in game on any of the characters in my signature, hit me up. Would love to RP. ^^

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Domri Blackblade - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 02:56 AM)Cylin Wrote: If you ever see me in game on any of the characters in my signature, hit me up. Would love to RP. ^^

^I hear only good things about this chica so take her up on that offer.

-
To answer your question, I saw nothing wrong with your name. I also don't watch anime so maybe that's why I didn't make the connection to 'Naruto'. And even as it is pointed out it still doesn't really stick out to me or bother me for that matter.

If all else fails, maybe make a thread in making connections? I really don't think your name is a problem at all.

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Chris Ganale - 04-06-2015

I would never have associated a name like that with the anime unless it was pointed it out to me. This may or may not be because I have two characters myself that explicitly share the exact same names as ones from another series, and a third that comes damn close.

If people are avoiding you on the basis of your name being similar, then fuck 'em, they're not important.

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Kalooeh - 04-06-2015

Probably because most people making characters based on popular anime characters or at least have the names or names similar to them tend to be not very serious and often enough trolls that like to screw with rp'ers.
There's been times I've rp'd with people with anime names before just because why not they may do it well, and then the person ends up saying they're actually such and such character from another universe  or end up being lol random and trolling people so I end up putting them on ignore and pretending they're not there, or reporting them if they continue to harass me and/or others around me trying to rp and be serious about it. So now as a result I'm largely very iffy and now on the defense for wondering if someone is trolling or wants to lol-rp. Lol-rp is fine, but it's better for a group of friends rather than public/random rp and can be annoying for people who don't want to deal with that.
And there's a difference between being silly with your rp or having a silly character and lol-rp.

Sometimes it can be fine though, and I mean look at my sig. One of my characters is "Twin Rova". Usually I get a positive reaction from it and the other zelda-based characters I've met seem to get a lot of positive reactions too.... but to be fair it could be because of where the character name/base is from. Quite a few people love zelda... and while a lot of people love Naruto too, a lot of people hate it and honestly the character from the anime can be super obnoxious. It's also a character people will often emulate and be super obnoxious with. Hell even outside mmos people will copy the most obnoxious parts of a character and act like them because they're being lol so random, don't care what people think of me. And sometimes it's just people shooting for a Chaotic alignment and ending up deep in the Chaotic stupid zone.

So it's expected that people see a name similar to something from an anime, especially a fairly obnoxious character to begin with, and be wary about the player and their motives or want to just avoid them entirely (because let's face it, that interaction can be draining to say the least), even if that's not the player's actual intention and the character isn't actually anything like the anime character.

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Nicholas Graveshire - 04-06-2015

I will admit, I had to do a double take when looking at your name. I've known and seen RPers that use anime names, and whether you meant to or not, it might make people steer clear. I don't have room to talk. My first RP character's name was Bramblestar from the Warrior's Cats series whose RP fan crowd was not the greatest. Your name is fine. You picked it. It's yours. Work it!

I have seen you post a couple of threads of the making connections topic, and I'm usually nervous to reach out to people. If you can deal with a somewhat rude, arrogent, proud-but-intelligent doctor, then Nick might be the buddy for you! I'm currently running a clinic in Coerthas because of the MSQ story events for 2.55 and if you'd like to stop by for a physical or for a drink in the tavern below his office, I'd love to RP with you. Just message me on here or in the game.

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Qhora Bajihri - 04-06-2015

From someone who roleplayed with someone named Fhqwhgads, don't sweat it.

I'd never have assumed your character was named after Naruto unless he did some weird sexy jutsu stuff. People who automatically assume he is are probably the kind of ludicrously overly critical that you might not want to befriend anyway. His name's perfectly in line with the conventions, including one of the family names the generator gives out. My character's not from the Southern Water Tribe.

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Meena - 04-06-2015

I never noticed your name looked like naruto until you pointed it out. 
._.

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Nebbs - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 02:06 AM)Nara Wrote: Can the name you give your character be the basis for whether others will roleplay with you or not?

Yes

If it is stupid I will ignore you

If it is a well known character I will think you are new to RP or of limited imagination, I will RP with you but expect things to be at the beginner maybe also god emoting end of the spectrum.

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Ilwe'ran - 04-06-2015

You just have to look at the naming convention for the male Moonkeeper and to look at some japanese name to know that you will always have a name sounding like some japanese/anime ones as soon as you follow those conventions :

Quote:Miqo'te moonkeeper male naming convention :
First son: 'a
Second son: 'to
Third son: 'li
Fourth son: 'sae
Fifth son: 'ra
Sixth son: 'ir
Seventh son: 'wo
Eighth son: 'ya
Ninth son: 'zi
Tenth son: 'tan

Show Content

Cannot be helped and someone who would blame you for this, well, do they really worth your attention ?

RE: Roleplaying Name Question - Menelwen - 04-06-2015

(04-06-2015, 09:52 AM)Ilweran Wrote: You just have to look at the naming convention for the male Moonkeeper and to look at some japanese name to know that you will always have a name sounding like some japanese/anime ones as soon as you follow those conventions :

Quote:Miqo'te moonkeeper male naming convention :
First son: 'a
Second son: 'to
Third son: 'li
Fourth son: 'sae
Fifth son: 'ra
Sixth son: 'ir
Seventh son: 'wo
Eighth son: 'ya
Ninth son: 'zi
Tenth son: 'tan

Show Content

Cannot be helped and someone who would blame you for this, well, do they really worth your attention ?

^ Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Though I will admit, if I had seen you before reading the story behind your characters name, I probably would have PM'd you with the link to this video. NINJA INFO CARDS