Hydaelyn Role-Players
Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) (/showthread.php?tid=10785)

Pages: 1 2

Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-25-2015

Franz sat on a stool at the Bobbing Cork, waiting patiently. 

The thought of using this small, short, moment of opportunity to simply leave the inn and say nothing about it had occurred. But what would come of it? Jancis would simply keep looking. Write another letter. And he would find himself going to make sure everything was alright. 

There would be no running. Not in an area of the forest he was unfamiliar with. Not when even just sitting on the stool was uncomfortable at best. There was a dulling pain from the boots that push against his legs. From the gloves stretched to fit his hands. From his belt. Standing, it was as if each step was barefoot on the hard ground. 

He could handle these simple pains. Surely, he would either become used to them to where they no longer hurt, or they would simply go away with time. Closing his eyes, he rubbed a sore area of his forehead, but that only seemed to make it worse.

How would he handle this situation?

RE: Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Jancis - 03-25-2015

Jancis matched the key up to the door that was deemed hers, opening the door to the small room.

It had a bed, table and chair, and a basin. She felt even more grateful for the room and all of the amenities it had. She had spent some of the platinum coins Edda had given her on attempting to track down information on the one responsible, some on what she carried in her satchel.

She sat by the basin, removing her over-robe and taking a cloth proceeded to wash up her hair, face, and coat.

The relief in her mind was great that he answered her letter, that he agreed to meet up with her, that his appearance improved, and that she had managed to not get pushed away again. It was a confusing compromise to stay here in the Float than wherever Franz said he was staying, with all his comforts he listed, but it was clearly a very generous offer he gave her.

The brief touch on top of his hand gave her more questions. The subtle draw she felt going by her, the discomfort she showed, and the pain that wasn't the normal look she had gotten use to before. There would be time to ask all these questions after they'd eaten. Eating would provide a comfort he needed and, hopefully, make things less awkward than they were now.

She had to be strong enough for two right now, she reminded herself, that a hero needed to rest. And could feel a security to be able to.

Finishing up, she dressed with her now semi-damped and wiped off robe and kept her belongings with her. Coming back down the stairs she looked at Franz's back. A smile came to her face before she spoke.

"Thank you for waiting. I am ready."

RE: Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-25-2015

Franz rose from the stool. "It would have been a futile attempt to leave. Reckless, even."

"Shall we head down then? I believe it is just outside the building. " He began making his way down the stairs slowly. No sudden or quick movements. He thanked whatever it was he must have believed in at some point for not needing to use the handrail. Even varnished, the wood had a strange texture on his hand. The gloves were enough to deal with. Besides, any noticeable expressions of discomfort would likely cause what he deemed unnecessary worry.

Stepping outside they would be greeted by fresh air, the sounds of the little settlement, and ambience of the forest. To most, it would have been quite enjoyable.

Stepping into the other establishment, they would be greeted and led to a table. Given time to have a discussion in private before the meal would arrive. Taking a seat, he asked more with curiosity than wonder, “so what is this game you had mentioned?”

He would hope it would steer clear of heavier conversation.

"It would have been a futile attempt to leave. Reckless, even."

Jancis nodded and followed Franz. That word, 'reckless', was becoming a theme for the night.

He had used it first, calling Jancis reckless for being so obvious. She had been asking around Limsa, the dockworkers, the merchants, about a man named Jin'li. It was typical to not get answers on anything important, but the reactions worked out well. Some knew something and didn't want to talk. News from some others and gossip about vagrants going missing was sadly another clue.

But Franz was right, her lack of subtle nature made her actions more of a bait; what she didn't fear on one side brought potential harm. She had reversed the word on him afterwards, calling his choice to be isolated reckless. So they were both reckless.

At least this way, two reckless people together had a better chance of surviving.

Jancis had grown up in the Shroud, the sounds and winds, the stronger awareness of the elements made it familiar ground. But she was watching Franz. She had focused her training on people:heal wounds, look for wounds. Poor man seemed doomed either way. He was walking carefully; he was stressed. As she followed him and sat down at the table, she waited to bring it up.

“So what is this game you had mentioned?”

"Ah, yes. It is a fun little thing. Is very easy to learn." Opening her satchel, she brought out a tied handkerchief, a grid design stitched into it. Tied within were small flat white river rocks with one side painted black. She spread it out flat in the middle of the table, giving him half of the pieces, and set up the game to start. "The idea is you cover the other."

She demonstrated the move by starting. "Because no piece should be alone. Want all the pieces to trust you." she said, half joking, half metaphor.

"But each piece is strong in its own way, is it not?"

RE: Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-25-2015

"I think I understand the concept. I know of a similar game. The pieces flip when 'conquered'?" 

He picked up one of the stones. Smooth. Simple. In a way, it was comforting to hold the textureless rock.Looking down at the grid, he laid a stone down onto one of the grid, flipping over the opposite colors in between. 

"Like this?"

There would likely be time before the meal arrived. He relaxed slightly in the seat. If it was one thing the Shroud was good at, it was a calming atmosphere. Even as an outsider, the simple sounds of nature we pleasant. The sounds of the elementals would be lost on him regardless. 

As the game progressed, he smiled some. It was an entertaining game.

"Yes, yes that is right."

He picked up on it so easily, and despite how Jancis thought it could be a simple way to talk, she was wrong. Instead, her eyes were on the board and wrapped up in the game.

Unexpectedly, he played as if he knew the game and she was the one learning. Staring at the board, she would move only to have her pieces taken. It was fun but required concentration and eventually got a corner, she cheered a little to herself.

By the end, Franz had over half the board, two-thirds, though she didn't stop trying to put down pieces until there were no more moves.

"You win. Dare say you are a natural." Laughing lightly, the board was cleared off and reset though she didn't make the first move. 

Maybe she had been pressing too much. When everything was survival with no recovery. Had that all Franz done these pasts days? It had been over a moon and was the man quietly crying out for comfort? The questions could wait... at least a little while. This is what she wanted; what she insisted on. That not all wounds were physical.

"It is better this way." She said randomly, looking away from the board at him.

RE: Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-26-2015

"It's nice. ...not thinking about other topics." 

He'd nearly forgotten what it was like to relax without worry. Yes, there was the night with Mirke. And he'd spent plenty of days drinking or otherwise eating much more than he'd needed, but binge consumption was not relaxing. It was evading stress. Or trying to drown it out. What Jancis had done was take his mind off his problems. The little game had allowed for all of that. 

He briefly wondered what food was selected by the cooks to arrive at the table. He hadn't taken the time to check if there was notice of the daily selections. Not that it mattered much. One thing he could be thankful for since waking up in the cottage was that his sense of taste had not become damaged in some way. And there was never a shortage of fresh vegetables from the Shroud. 

Not a moment after he had thought of food, came the server with a tray. Set on the table were some utensils, plates, and of course the first course. Laid down was a warm dish with walnuts, chestnuts and a selection of local squash and mushrooms. Seasoned lightly, the natural flavors were allowed to mix, giving it an earthy, yet comforting appeal.

He noticed his mouth was watering from just the aroma. It was slightly embarrassing. 

"Shall we put the game aside for a moment?" Sitting at the table in such a way, one might have assumed there was more to the relationship than two people in need of peaceful times.

RE: Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Jancis - 03-26-2015

"Yes, yes. Thank you kindly." The gratitude went to the server as Jancis picked up the edges of the cloth 'game-board' and moved it to the far side of the table. Her smile returned to the servers as the platters were put down, family style, trying to show how much she appreciated their help.

She didn't wait for Franz to start, quickly taking her own scoops of food from each type. Just one spoonful. It wasn't for the reason to only nibble or eat like a bird. She was truly hungry after making haste once receiving his letter to meet him here; the past days required a lot of food for the amount of walking and energy used. But if he was waiting for her to prepare a plate, then she wanted to do it with haste so he could prepare his too knowing she was taken care of.

Besides, it's not like he could eat the rest, right?

His concern for her and others was very apparent. She had realized it with his sour cold words last the met. It took her far too long to realize the ploy; and by then they had both departed. But that was the past with other pains. Here they were in a warm place with warm food, the elements serene at present.

"Is nice of them to serve us here. I did learn how to interact with others in Gridania bringing out food." She commented, waiting for his plate to fill before she started to eat. "Lady Aya spoke of her staying here in the past. Was a guard at the northern border of the Hedge, I believe she mentioned singing and doing odd jobs here when that was done."

Her small chitchat continued between quiet breaks of eating. Drifting from talking about Aya, she spoke about figuring out how to make apple tarts in a skillet for Lady Leanne and a little gambling game they had played, the people at the pilgrimage and the stories, working with flower pressing and finding the early spring blossoms, and reading about a mysterious ink that would bring senses to life when written with.

"Will be worth trying, even if the snails are poisonous to make the ink. Dare think I can handle them, even if I have to build up some resilience to the toxin."

Jancis kept looking at Franz as she spoke, trying to be open about her thoughts and ideas. But she didn't want to just yak away. Halfway through her plate, she reached over to get some of the remaining food and asked, "I have thought about what you said before; about having books. Are any your own? Things you have written down?"

Her intention wasn't just polite conversation. He had spoken about lost memories before. Forgetting about Edda and staring at her. Did he write down things in case they'd slip away. Even if her curiosity was unfounded, it would be nice to know more and she waited politely attentive for his answer.

RE: Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-26-2015

Table set and dishes served, he waited for Jancis to pick what she found appetizing first. She had been the one to express hunger, even if he had found himself vying for the food just as much. He was not worried if they finished everything. Surely a proper establishment would have additional plates ready for any number of patrons. Taking no time after Jancis, he arranged the various foods onto a plate, giving each just enough space to remain separate, but allowing them to each be served with a large enough amount to experience the flavors. A meal should be enjoyed, after all.

"I would expect as much from an inn and related services. Is it not their job to do so?" He wasn't quite sure where his expectations of such service had come from, but it was likely something he had become accustomed to over time. At the mentioning of Aya, he'd considered asking more, but that could be saved for a later time. He could suffice with a single question on the matter. "Was that before or after her time in Ishgard?"

He listened as she talked of other things. Of making desserts, handcrafts, and other things. THe ink had sounded quite odd. He wasn't completely sure if she was serious. But when books were mentioned, he was fast to reply. "No, none of them are personal. There were a few...translated copies of the same, but it was only a matter of reading preference. I can't say I ever saw the need in keeping a log of one's life." 

A slight shrug. It wasn't a comfortable topic, his past. "Even if I had at some time, it wouldn't be here. And these days? I've begun to simply live each day at a time. Can't be sure what may change each day. I'd rather not be reminded. It's not a pleasant feeling to know that I may wake up remembering so part of my past that completely changes my view on life." There was a short pause as if he was contemplating more. "Or to wake up grasping at fragments of oneself."

The small smile had faded already. "Apologies. Did not mean to darken the mood..."

RE: Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Jancis - 03-27-2015

Jancis gave him a curious look. "Did not darken it for me. I like knowing more about you." Her reply was not apologetic or comforting. She stated a fact, eyes going back to the spiced squash and nuts she had gotten more of. 

She had commented lightly about not being sure about Lady Aya's time in Ishgard and wanting to find out some time next in Ul'dah, or "the Jewel", if the Quicksand wasn't too busy. But now they were talking about Franz; with his dark sad expression consuming what small reprieve he had mustered. Was it he longed for ignorance for fear of knowing something painful? That was the view on life to be out of the way? He needed time to recover. Recovery and helping him was beyond all other curiosity. He was not a matter of interest for the sake of knowing; he was a man of good heart and a person that needed to be treated as such.

He was not a tool, that point rang in her mind with all too familiar a connection. In the depths of the Shroud, she had been trained for something that was not human. She was a utensil for survival and nothing more. The reaches of pain wracking from her heart at such memory was quelled by a calming breath. She looked back at him with an empathetic gaze and a small sad smile.

"In youth," she phrased carefully, "I tried to remember things. I had thought, mayhaps, there was something in my mind that would give me some kind of purpose. For many Turns there was none. Least I believe it is Turns for what I did keep. After a time I did write down what I could, anywhere. Reminders with the bark and upon the stones I would climb. When I was ready, it did help piece together much. Once I realized and remembered, then I was able to pull free and pick my own life."

"It is important to rest, though, Master Franz. Is said 'Life is easier with eyes closed' and all must needs shut their eyes to rest. Tell me what you would like to talk about, then. And do."

RE: Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-28-2015

"I'm not sure myself. It can just be so difficult to handle each day sometimes. Knowing that my own identity is something beyond my grasp. It leaves much thought on who I was. What I had done. The man I became. When only able to remember the wrongs I have committed, it does not lend to a very positive outlook on life."

"But what do you mean you tried to remember things? For so much that you've learned of me, I feel I know so little of you. Could we speak of that? Who you are. What makes you come to the conclusions you do? Why you are even spending time with a such a broken person as myself?"

He thought upon her previous words. Rest. Even if life was easier to simply stop looking at the bad things, it wasn't quite an option. At least not to him. To even merely survive, he needed to embrace the life he was living now. But could he continue to cling onto the forgotten past?

RE: Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Jancis - 03-28-2015

"I own nothing of greater value to give you."

It took a few minutes to comprehend the questions and requests. It wasn't the mindset she had; at least.

"I am. Ah, is a good question; I know who I want to be. My first solid memories are learning. I was trained to learn and survive; that was my role. I am no tool," she stressed that point, "but I was made into one. For many Turns I accepted that lie."

Digging into her robe, she pulled out a very old map. The corners had long since rubbed soft and many of the crease folds had been done so many times the parchment broke apart. Carefully, she unfolded and pieced it together. It was an old crude map of the Shroud covered in marks, erase marks, and new marks layered; most of the activity in the northeastern corner.

"I believe I spent most of my life up here. There were many caverns and keep hollowing trees to live in. Could see the snow of the northern reaches in the thinning winters, but was almost rare to see the sun through the thick canopy of the Twelveswood. It was two others and myself. Here I kept them safe and they taught me how to keep myself safe. Life for life. They would leave time-to-time and eventually needed me to be in town and I began to realize how vast the world was. Began to question what kind of tool I was; asking freely brought a great punishment." While she was easily answering, it wouldn't be hard to see the pain in her eyes as the words held more vivid pictures for her. She took a breath to calm down and continue.

"So I began to write down things. Anywhere. Everywhere. In books on pages. On trees into the bark, on stones high up. I would find them again and cling to those memories, even those few words held many more within their script. Thaliak saved me; gave me a small opportunity to know I was not alone, I was no tool. I could do more than simply survive. I can thrive and feel and experience life and support others to experience their own. I am far more than any tool. I have one book that every word meant far more to me than the simple story within. So I took her name as my own, that I could be Jancis and fly to unknown lands and make life better and escape the cage of constructed life."

"They saw that, she far earlier than he. The moon falling changed things; I would not dare say for my favor, but it sped along my liberation. Would I have ever felt truly the lack of care to protect them from the woodwrath mayhaps sooner... boldy say I am glad that never came. For my part, at least."

Jancis murmured quietly after a minute, “No guilt is forgotten so long as the conscience still knows of it.” Her attention focused back on him. To gain trust was to give it first, and she had amples amounts to give, but she understood a bit more on this self-imposed exile. Every memory one of pain, a confusion of guilt and responsibility with no reward or goal beyond it. Still he fought on, still he answered her.

"Is hard because guilt is so loud to those of good heart. I am sure the other memories lie within, Master Franz, if not for these other weights that drown out their words. Are like those birds that roam the Shroud, when attacked their neck plumage fluffs." She demonstrated with her hands, fanning them out with grand display. "Shall always appear bigger than they truly are?"

RE: Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-29-2015

As he listened to all Jancis had to say, Franz could not help but wonder how Jancis had managed to live such a life. From what she had said, it was awe-inspiring to him. 

"I would never have known such about your past. Thank you." And he truly meant it. "I hope that one day, I will have such strength as well."

A few short moments later, the food dishes were cleared and a small dessert brought out. To Franz, it merely looked like a doughy lump with pieces of apple that had been baked just to completion, the inside still warm and soft. A sweetened rolanberry sauce was included as well. 

"Should we retire for the night after this? I will promise to still be at the Float in the morning."

Dipping a small torn piece of the dessert into the sauce, "especially if they continue to keeping making something such as this. I dare say I'll have a completely different issue if I even were to attempt to leave."

RE: Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Jancis - 03-29-2015

"You like pastries, then?"

She humbly thanked the server for bringing out the fruity dish, admiring it. She felt very humble after what Franz had said, the churning inside was not as bad to recount what happened years ago.

It would be redundant to repeat that she believed he already had such a strength. Something that brought him to this land instead of his home. His generosity and the example he had always made in front of her.

Still she was honest at the risk of souring what was a delicious desert.

"I can see your discomfort. Are you sure you wish to retire? I can try helping."

RE: Drifting Afloat in Fallgourd (closed) - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-31-2015

"Most foods, actually." It wasn't something he was sure to elaborate on. It wasn't every day he could find himself mostly at peace, and he already felt rather guilty after having spoiled the mood on more than one occasion already. He tore another small piece off the pastry. It would be a shame to waste it.

"Having the opportunity to try local ingredients is nice." He was unsure what made the occasion so important. Was it from having nearly starved so many times in the desert when he was merely a mercenary? Perhaps some residual feeling displaced onto him from the Elezen. Maybe it was from the past he could not recall. Or it may have been some combination. The desire to not only enjoy a meal, but to share it with another was seemingly important. Even still, a feeling of guilt and dread could not leave him.

There was a brief, distant smile. One that made separation apparent. "Thank you for the evening. I can promise I will still be here in the morning." Rising from his seat, he quietly push in the chair, and retrieved a few coins to leave on the table for the services rendered.

As he began to make an exit, he spoke in just loud enough of a voice for her to hear. "I may have been injured, but I still have my pride. Please trust I will be fine without assistance." It left a cold feeling, keeping Jancis at a distance, but it was the only way he knew to act. Franz believed that she would have wanted nothing more than the opportunity to help him though his troubles. But as a Garlean, as a mercenary, even, help was unfamiliar.

"Please, have a good evening, Jancis. The inn staff can point you to my room should you need anything." And with that, he left the small restaurant made his way back to the inn. The stairs leading to the room would be unpleasant, but they would not be particularly painful.