Hydaelyn Role-Players
Garlean RPers, question about Garlemald dialect... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Garlean RPers, question about Garlemald dialect... (/showthread.php?tid=1077)

Garlean RPers, question about Garlemald dialect... - SamusKnight2K - 10-05-2011

I've noticed there's several people who RP as being former Garlemald citizens. Seeing how there's several Garleans living in Eorzea (I won't name the NPCs as to avoid spoilers.) this isn't a problem at all. But what does strike me as curious is everyone acts as if Garleans have their own form of language. However quests as of late (including the recently introduced Grand Company ones.) depict Garlean soldiers speaking the common tongue found here in Eorzea. Overall it just has me curious, where was it ever mentioned that Garleans had their own language? I'm not trying to dictate ways to RP, but it simply had me curious.

Also, if it's true that the imperials don't have their own dialect will RPers still continue on pretending that they do?

EDIT: I know it could be chalked up to that since the "Echo" allows us to understand all forms of dialect from beast tongue to other unknown languages. Yet that doesn't explain how even NPCs can understand dialect from Garleans, and that no mention is ever made about it.

Re: Garlean RPers, question about Garlemald dialect... - Smiling River - 10-05-2011

I am unsure of the exact instance you are referring to (spoiler tags ftw) so I am unsure of this case and its impact on lore. Personally I just think it is a lot more interesting and fun to RP minor differences like that.

Are you sure the Garleans in this case do not know Eorzean? Maybe they are speaking the common tongue?

I think in some instances SE sort of breaks the fourth wall, because it /is/ a MMO which is trying to appeal to people who might be intrigued by the story, but not the full emersion of the world around them. Small details such as language difference might be overlooked by the SE writers, in exchange for easy to understand storyline. Most players, heck a lot of RPers even, might not have even thought about any language difference, and how it might affect their character/background.

Re: Garlean RPers, question about Garlemald dialect... - SamusKnight2K - 10-06-2011

Okay, here's what I mean...

Show Content

It could just be said that Garleans speak both the common tongue (Eorzean or in this case, likely Hydaelyn) and their own language. The point I'm trying to get at however is where is it that Garlemald citizens are said to have their own dialect? As it's understood, Eorzea is part of the "Three Great Continents" according to the Lodestone. All but Eorzea were conquered by Garlemald and thus converted into a single realm ruled by the Imperials. I'm not going as far to state that it's impossible for them to have their own language, but merely understand as to where it came from is all. So far I haven't found anything that hints they do, but more evidence pointing towards that they all share the same language.

As more lore is revealed to us I'm simply wondering as well how that will be handled if it is revealed that Garlemald commonly speaks the same tongue as found in Eorzea.

Re: Garlean RPers, question about Garlemald dialect... - Smiling River - 10-06-2011

I would just roll my eyes at SE writers/developers, is how I'd handle it. I am not sure honestly, to me following lore in the case that they do state that there is one common language would be a step down from taking into account various languages.

As for the specifics you mentioned in your spoiler:
Show Content

Personally, I've not seen anything to compelling to switch me over to the "one language" camp, but that said I am not even sure if I recall exact cases (if there are any) where it /did/ make clear that Garleans have their own language. So, it's up in the air for now - but since I am a linguistics nerd I prefer the multiple languages.

Re: Garlean RPers, question about Garlemald dialect... - Merri - 10-06-2011

That's a tough question. Honestly, until SE comes right out and says it, all sides have valid points. There could be a universal tongue, those Garleans they do speak "Eorzean" could simply just be well versed in it, or the echo could play a part. It's really impossible to know which is which.

Show Content