Hydaelyn Role-Players
Of Pasts and Presents - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Of Pasts and Presents (/showthread.php?tid=10767)

Pages: 1 2 3

Of Pasts and Presents - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-24-2015

Eva paces back and forth in the hallway, practically wearing a hole in the carpet. Vaughn would not be pleased at being bothered... but who else could she ask?

She had seen the man in action though, a steely precision in his eyes and arms that belied his usual tenderness. Arrows flying straight and true, with barely a moments aim. Also, if the rumors were true, it was not only arrows he was skilled at launching. She knew so little of his past in truth, whispers of chains and brothels, of ships, blood and steel.

Sighing she knocks on the door of his office, "Vaughn, It's Evangeline, might I come in?"

RE: Of Pasts and Futures - Antain - 03-24-2015

Vaughn laid on the couch in the back of his office, book on his chest and golden hair cascading off the edge and dusting the floor. Even asleep, he exhibited grace. Nights have been rough, and this was his only chance at real sleep. After all, he needed to be awake for...

The knock at the door made him jump. It took him a moment to register the voice as Evangeline's, but when he did, he launched himself from the couch, bookmarking his place in the novel, and ran his fingers through his hair to smooth it down. Adjusting his clothes and checking his breath (satisfactory), he smiled as he opened the door. "Ah, Lady Evangeline. Please, come in." He moved aside to let her pass. "What may I help you with?" He took a second before adding as an afterthought, "Angora's not missing, is she?"

RE: Of Pasts and Presents - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-24-2015

Evangeline blinks, "Ah, sorry, I didn't mean to bother you." She enters the room, "No Angora isn't missing... I think?"

"I don't know where she is, but I haven't checked under the couch yet. That's not why I came though."

Her long robes swoosh around as she makes her way to the large desk in the center of the room, "I wanted to ask you a favor... and I wanted you to teach me something."

"I know I bugged you about the cannon." She pokes her fingers together, "But the truth is..."

She blushes, "I've never actually fired a gun."

RE: Of Pasts and Presents - Antain - 03-24-2015

Vaughn tilted his head in curiosity at her actions, then blinked at her confession. Slowly, a smile crept on his lips as he let out a soft chuckle. As abrasive as this woman was at times, she did have her adorable moments.

"Then it's a good thing one doesn't need pistol training to fire a cannon." He slides himself into the tall chair behind the desk and takes out a key, unlocking the center drawer and pulling a hefty-looking black hinged box out of it. "A cannon is a brutish weapon meant to punch large holes in the sides of ships. Or walls, as the case may be."

He took out another key and unlocked the box, opening it to show a pistol the size of the gemscope on the edge of his desk. It was nestled in rich purple velvet, an ivory handle to a dark steel barrel, etched with delicate filigree gold vines. It was a well-maintained piece, that's for sure. not even a speck of dust dared to fall upon it.

He smiled at Eva. "This...used to belong to someone I was very close to. Only Jaques knows about this. And now, since he trusts you with his workshop, I trust you with this knowledge." He sighs and sits back, crossing his legs and placing his delicate hands on his knees, allowing her to touch the pistol should she choose to. "A well-placed bullet will do more damage to what you fight than a cannon ever will."

"But... the higher mass of a cannonball means..." She drops it, perhaps firearms are not as simple as she had assumed. Reaching out tentatively lifts the pistol in her hands, "It's heavier than I would have thought."

She fiddles with it for a few moments, feeling the weight of the springs on the hammer and trigger. "I... I heard some bits of your past, but I know little in truth."
[/align]
Evangeline runs a thumb across the sights, "I did not know it included something such as this. Even I can tell this is not the weapon of a simple bandit. This is a noble's piece."

"I assume it still fires?"

He smiled. "It used to be a noble's, yes. Then...my Captain obtained it." He lifted the velvet lining to reveal more compartments underneath, containing cleaners, tools, and a few boxes of bullets.

"Yes, it does still fire. Did you wish to try?"

"Your captain...?" She fiddles with the various tools, "I'm assuming the noble did not survive the encounter."

"I would very much like to fire it but there is an unfortunate problem."

She nudges him playfully, "Someone said we weren't allowed to have gunpowder in the house. You're not suggesting that you broke the rule, are you?"

He smirked at her, biting his lower lip as he tilted his head back and chuckled. "I have not broken that rule. I do not have gunpowder on site." He looked at her with a raised brow and a teasing grin. "I'd like to think nobody does."

He leaned forward. "But there's a place near the workshop's entrance where Jaques and I set up a firing range. It's hidden for the most part, and with the workshop being a 'mining shaft', the noise isn't unheard of." He smiled. "I need to keep in practice after all. And...if you're interested in a small boom with large damage, yes, I could teach you. Just...nobody else must know. Jaques will, of course, but no one else. I...don't think they'll understand."

RE: Of Pasts and Presents - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-25-2015

"O-oh..." Evangeline looks nervous, "Of course, I haven't broken it either. No gunpowder around this house, not even a little teensy bit"

"Haha..."

"Ha...."

"A firing range though! That could be..." She pauses, "Safer. I'm not exactly convinced I can make a bullet go anywhere close to where I would like." She bows, "I would very much like for you to teach me."

"I will of course, keep it secret. However I'm not sure why." She nudges him playfully once more, "Nothing sexier than a man with a big... powerful... pistol." There is much winking involved.

RE: Of Pasts and Presents - Antain - 03-25-2015

Vaughn raised a brow in slight amusement, chuckling at her. "Right..." He started to put everything away and back into the desk drawer. "I'm not exactly proud of everything I've done, so this secret has to be kept. I fear if others knew...well, I don't think we'd have much of a house left. Cautionary, and..." He sighed.

"I don't want my past to color what others think of who I am now."

Evangeline looks longingly at the pistol as it is nestled away. "Ah."

"I wouldn't worry too much about that though Vaughn. I'm not sure anyone in this house is." She gives what she hopes is a reassuring back rub.

"We are the Phoenix Rose, after all." She smiles, "If we couldn't rise from the ashes, we'd have to change our name."

"We're all colored by our past here." She taps the brand on her cheek, "But it doesn't define our future."

RE: Of Pasts and Presents - Antain - 03-25-2015

He smiles. The first genuine smile Eva has seen from him since she arrived. "Yes, you're right. Still, I will not flaunt it. There's no use doing that either."

He stands from his seat and tilts his head at her. "So, when would you like to start? It will take me a bit to set up, after all." He stretches with a light yawn. "And Jaques will be back soon, I think.." He looks out the window. "Yes...he'll be home soon."

Evangeline laughs, "And how do you know that exactly? Lover's intuition?"

"As for starting, I'd love to as soon as you're able. Shall we meet again tomorrow, at that site you mentioned?"

RE: Of Pasts and Presents - Antain - 03-26-2015

Vaughn chuckled. "If you call knowing his schedule 'lover's intuition', then sure."

He tilts his head with a small grin. "Tomorrow, hmm? You're very eager." He ran his delicate fingers through his long hair. "I guess I should get started on supplying the site." He smiles. "Anything else I can help you with? Any further questions?"

RE: Of Pasts and Presents - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-26-2015

She rolls her eyes, "You could have let me believe..." Nodding, "Yes! Very eager."

"I don't think I have any other questions." She stands and bows slightly, "Tomorrow then?"