Hydaelyn Role-Players
Flynt needs lore - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Flynt needs lore (/showthread.php?tid=10670)

Flynt needs lore - ChewableMorphine - 03-19-2015

So, as most of you know, my character is generally a humor oriented joke type that serves moreso as an NPC/FATE character than a single role character. The only problem is people actually want to know what's his deal, I've been pulling excuses out of my ass this entire time and it worked.

So I'm gonna let the RPC help me out here, seeing how the vast majority of you were 'victims' of the Hyena once or twice, be it through gambling or combat. Throw me some headcanons you'd believe would suit Flynt. Generally having this kind of feedback means others would share similar ideas, and will probably melt down into one big Chuck Norris joke.

All that is for sure is that he's wealthy, has living parents, has a gambling problem, educated, and has an affinity for Allagan/Garlean/Garlond technological advances (The fists are illegally tampered Ironworks gauntlets). 

So tell me, RPC: Who is Flynt? Where did he come from? Why is he here? Where'd all the money come from? What's the deal with that suit? Have fun with it, be as silly or as serious as you'd like; I'm genuinely interested and would like to give Flynt a solid backstory.

[youtube]gjVmeKWOsEU[/youtube]

RE: Flynt needs lore - Y'lani - 03-19-2015

I'll throw both my joking and non-joking ideas at you. Take them as you will!
  • Flynt is the half-lalafell bastard child of Sultana Nanamo Ul Namo.
  • Flynt is a Garlean loyalist spy.
  • Flynt grew up middle-class until his papa won the lottery.
  • Flynt was very poor until senpai noticed him.
  • Flynt invents well-respected goods under an alias.
  • Flynt is a mama's boy and gets all of his money from her.
  • Flynt has a hobby of extorting people.
  • Flynt is one of those Golden Saucer mafia men.
  • Flynt works at a cathouse.
  • Flynt is the Karate Kid.
  • Flynt is an Ishgardian xenophobe.
  • Flynt makes money off of peoples' hate.
more to come. maybe.
edit: I just realized I haven't roleplayed with you. We should fix that sometime! Big Grin

RE: Flynt needs lore - ChewableMorphine - 03-19-2015

(03-19-2015, 08:25 PM)Y Wrote: I'll throw both my joking and non-joking ideas at you. Take them as you will!
  • Flynt is the half-lalafell bastard child of Sultana Nanamo Ul Namo. (No-yeah-no-canon)
  • Flynt invents well-respected goods under an alias. (But what would he make... Huh)
  • Flynt is a mama's boy and gets all of his money from her. (I actually really like this one)
  • Flynt has a hobby of extorting people. (Confirmed)
  • Flynt is one of those Golden Saucer mafia men. (Hmmm, if it's actually possible...)
  • Flynt is an Ishgardian xenophobe. (Ishgardians suck anyways, confirmed.)
  • Flynt makes money off of peoples' hate. (Actually--)

RE: Flynt needs lore - Enla - 03-19-2015

(03-19-2015, 08:31 PM)☆Flynt Reddard☆ Wrote:
  • Flynt invents well-respected goods under an alias. (But what would he make... Huh)

A line of fashion for the discerning individual. He does have pretty good taste most of the time, I could totally see him having his own line of outfits, glasses, hats, or even beauty products.

RE: Flynt needs lore - Melkire - 03-19-2015

He's Hildibrand's younger brother and the son of Byregot and Menphina's Godbert and Julyan Manderville who came into his share of the family's fortunes when his older brother ran off to go be an inspector. As previously mentioned, he gets all his money from Julyan as he is the quintessential Mama's Boy.

The catch is that he's actually adopted, and the Mandervilles took him in. He's really a castoff bastard son of Rhalgr, and only Godbert and Julyan are privy to this information.

#ridiculous headcanon
#but it's MY headcanon

(03-19-2015, 08:38 PM)Cylin Wrote:
(03-19-2015, 08:31 PM)☆Flynt Reddard☆ Wrote:

A line of fashion for the discerning individual. He does have pretty good taste most of the time, I could totally see him having his own line of outfits, glasses, hats, or even beauty products.

Hmmm... so now we have his current occupation. Now we simply need a backstory. I'm writing up the wiki as we speak.

(03-19-2015, 08:41 PM)Melkire Wrote: He's Hildibrand's younger brother and the son of Byregot and Menphina's Godbert and Julyan Manderville who came into his share of the family's fortunes when his older brother ran off to go be an inspector.

I'd pay to see art of that. I could vaguely hint at it, since I'm not a big fan of self-insertion even for comedy purposes. But it fits so well I really want to include it somehow.

RE: Flynt needs lore - Warren Castille - 03-19-2015

My headcanon for Flynt that I'm pulling out of my ass right now:

Flynt's a product of money, boredom, and luxury. He's educated, but not using it. He's well-off, but he's not a businessman. He's learned how to fight and probably would have a record if his folks couldn't just buy his way out of prison time. I see him as a bored young man trying to make a name for himself any way he can - Be it by fighting and beating people or by just being needlessly eccentric. I don't think Flynt knows himself (not to get all meta in this thread) and as a result, he just does whatever. What kind of weirdo wears a suit in the desert? No one, so Flynt does. What sort of person tinkers with magitech? Not many, so Flynt does openly.

tldr: Troubled young man with a lot of potential just needs some direction in life. Right now he's living for the moment, but that's not satisfying. Give him some personal growth, some actual conflict. Make him care about someone or something instead of simply being distracted by it, then threaten to take it away and see if he finds something worth fighting for other than himself.

/ramble off

(03-19-2015, 08:46 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: tldr: Troubled young man with a lot of potential just needs some direction in life. Right now he's living for the moment, but that's not satisfying. Give him some personal growth, some actual conflict. Make him care about someone or something instead of simply being distracted by it, then threaten to take it away and see if he finds something worth fighting for other than himself.

/ramble off

I think you just wrote Travis Touchdown's bio, and subsequently Flynt's description in a nutshell.

copypastes to the wiki page now with some revisions

RE: Flynt needs lore - Sophia_Grave - 03-19-2015

Flynt's one of those characters whose wiki would probably be just a big PC rumor section and absolutely no concrete information otherwise.

RE: Flynt needs lore - Gharen - 03-19-2015

A young man, scarred by a past he cannot let go, A failed actor that lost his last big role of that of a Manderville man to a true Manderville man, and with such loss he could simply could not let go of the part, and so, he does what a not so Manderville man can.