Hydaelyn Role-Players
Broken or Stolen Character? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Broken or Stolen Character? (/showthread.php?tid=10566)

Pages: 1 2

Broken or Stolen Character? - Nebbs - 03-13-2015

I have been trying to recreate Nebula Stardancer but it seems there is one already! And it is using her look too.

So I am wondering if somehow the system messed up or someone has stolen her?

If you have stolen her, please give her back!

Her Stolen Loadstone Page

RE: Broken or Stolen Character? - SessionZero - 03-13-2015

She's naked on her lodestone page.

Blush

...l-lewd.

RE: Broken or Stolen Character? - Warren Castille - 03-13-2015

Define "recreate?" It certainly seems strange that the character exists as you wanted to make her. MRD5 in no armor, too? Very strange.

RE: Broken or Stolen Character? - Nebbs - 03-13-2015

Yes like a fantasia was used

RE: Broken or Stolen Character? - Gaspard - 03-13-2015

What happened to your old nebula?

Did  you delete her? Did you rename your old Nebula into something new?

Chances are that someone in your proximity / 'friend' group decided to screw with you and make a PC with that name the moment you dorpped the name. So unless 'Nebula Stardancer' is a canon name from some other show / material someone has done this consciously to nab that name and 'copy' you, so to speak.

(03-13-2015, 07:28 AM)Gaspard Wrote: What happened to your old nebula?

Did  you delete her? Did you rename your old Nebula into something new?

Chances are that someone in your proximity / 'friend' group decided to screw with you and make a PC with that name the moment you dorpped the name. So unless 'Nebula Stardancer' is a canon name from some other show / material someone has done this consciously to nab that name and 'copy' you, so to speak.

Two possibilities, I did have an alt that held the name when she took a married name, that I then deleted. But that was like a 1st level char.

The other is someone Name  Changed to get it.. but why make her look the same.. it's all rather strange.

RE: Broken or Stolen Character? - Gaspard - 03-13-2015

Then everything points that it was atleast consciously done, in the sense that they wanted to take that name from you, have it for themselves.

So whether the motivation was to actually screw with you or simply because they want to emulate you is probably out in the open until you find out who it is, which might be unlikely.

You'll be better off giving the name a light alteration or adding an unique type of letter to it (or a ') at the end. Chances that you'll get that specific name back are slim to none unless you contact FFXIV support directly, and even then you might not get it back.

I have reported it as a bug or potential harassment and recreated Nebula Stardancer'

Hm. You might have screwed yourself when you deleted the alt. For some reason XIV has a hard time letting go of characters. For example, in the 1.0 the name "Sei Ikari" was acceptable. Eventually, her player wanted to redesign her look (and Fantasia wasn't an option) so she deleted Sei and rerolled her.

Suddenly, the name "Sei Ikari" wasn't acceptable any longer. She had to change it to something else for the duration of 1.0. When we were given the option to transfer for 2.0, we did, and the name "Sei Ikari" was still unaccepted. There's no one on Balmung with that name, but no one's allowed to use it. For some reason. Then, for some reason, she wasn't allowed to change to Sei Castille either post-bonding.

tl;dr: Server might not have noticed you deleted her, lodestone might be caching that data.

(03-13-2015, 07:42 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Hm. You might have screwed yourself when you deleted the alt. For some reason XIV has a hard time letting go of characters. For example, in the 1.0 the name "Sei Ikari" was acceptable. Eventually, her player wanted to redesign her look (and Fantasia wasn't an option) so she deleted Sei and rerolled her.

Suddenly, the name "Sei Ikari" wasn't acceptable any longer. She had to change it to something else for the duration of 1.0. When we were given the option to transfer for 2.0, we did, and the name "Sei Ikari" was still unaccepted. There's no one on Balmung with that name, but no one's allowed to use it. For some reason. Then, for some reason, she wasn't allowed to change to Sei Castille either post-bonding.

tl;dr: Server might not have noticed you deleted her, lodestone might be caching that data.

Gods I hope you are right.. so much do I hope that.

RE: Broken or Stolen Character? - Cato - 03-13-2015

Did you let other people know of your plans in advance? If so, it's possible that someone is either playing with you or trying to be spiteful at your expense.

Of course, it's possible that it's simply a technical fault though I've had character names of mine stolen before in other MMO's so I know all too well how nasty some role-players can be.

As someone who had to change the name of his FFXI main after years due to server merges, it's never fun to have to reidentify with your character. At best, this is a technical snafu. At worst, it's someone intentionally fucking with you.

No matter which it is, though, there's no way to really... do anything about it. The report might help if it is just dead data stuck in a tube somewhere, but you can't inherently prove that that's "your" name. Still, I hope it works out for you.

RE: Broken or Stolen Character? - Mae - 03-14-2015

... Sorry to break this to you, but it's not a glitch with Lodestone or SE holding onto a name...

I actually saw this character just about a week ago while I was running up to Maelstrom Command on Mallow. I even stopped to make a few random emotes at 'you'... I didn't even think twice about it, I just assumed that maybe you had gone and name-changed back for some reason and that you hadn't leveled Marauder/Warrior yet. 

Oh, and the character WAS wearing clothes while she was standing in the Drowning Wench. I don't know what's happened to them since.

... Think positive for now, maybe? It could be the work of someone who's friendly to you and was nervous that someone was about to take your old name and drag it through the mud (seen it happen...)

RE: Broken or Stolen Character? - Nebbs - 03-14-2015

(03-14-2015, 12:42 AM)Mae Wrote: ... Sorry to break this to you, but it's not a glitch with Lodestone or SE holding onto a name...

I actually saw this character just about a week ago while I was running up to Maelstrom Command on Mallow. I even stopped to make a few random emotes at 'you'... I didn't even think twice about it, I just assumed that maybe you had gone and name-changed back for some reason and that you hadn't leveled Marauder/Warrior yet. 

Oh, and the character WAS wearing clothes while she was standing in the Drowning Wench. I don't know what's happened to them since.

... Think positive for now, maybe? It could be the work of someone who's friendly to you and was nervous that someone was about to take your old name and drag it through the mud (seen it happen...)

Thanks Mae, I am being positive and have created her with a ' at the end of her name. My characters are more than a name/label anyhow.

Somehow, I think it can't be good and that it really it says more about others that would do this than me.

Another thing for "all the F#ks I don't give" pile.

RE: Broken or Stolen Character? - Aysun - 03-14-2015

Once you rename or delete a character, that name is fair game for others. It's not a glitch, as was stated. I have to wonder why you're recreating her after going through so much to kill her and another RPer's offspring without consent though.

I think that's why I'd just never give up my main's name even I'd I was done RPing her. Too attached!