Hydaelyn Role-Players
Known diseases in Eorzea? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Known diseases in Eorzea? (/showthread.php?tid=10501)

Pages: 1 2

Known diseases in Eorzea? - Maril - 03-09-2015

Hello! 

I am in the midst of writing a story for one of my characters, and in it I thought to include the mention of one or more diseases of various severity. The problem I am facing is that I do not recall ever hearing of any as I've quested through the world. I can think of aether sickness, but that's really about it. 
So I was wondering if you guys had heard of any diseases known to roam about in Eorzea, or if you have had some that you have designed yourself put into play. 
And possibly their ways of being cured, if there is one. I've always presumed that there must be some, though with the existence of healers I don't know if they could feasibly spread like we see the flu do in RL, as an example - as people, maybe save for the poorest, would likely go see a healer at the first sign of a disease. 
What's peoples takes on it?

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - Bryn - 03-09-2015

Cancer is a thing in Eorzea, and is called Canker.

There was a 'Hyuran Blight' which affected Gridania at some point and, as the name suggests, only killed Hyur.

And of course, Crotch Rot.

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - Y'lani - 03-09-2015

I've heard scurvy mentioned a few times in the Limsa Lominsan main story quest. If I recall correctly, this employer said he hoped all of his pirate men would get scurvy. Otherwise, I'm sure we'll see lore-senpai Sounsyy swoop in sooner or later. Big Grin

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - thesunalsorises - 03-09-2015

Green Rot is mentioned in one of the post moogle quests, and all that was said about it is that it causes intense stomach pains.

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - Sounsyy - 03-09-2015

Well here's a few diseases/illnesses that I've seen described in game.

Aether Sickness - When an individual has been exposed to an excessive amount of aether.
Pox - Eorzea's Measles. A recent outbreak of the pox has afflicted the young Doman immigrants in Mor Dhona.
Greenrot - Not much known about this uncurable disease. According to Fernehalwes, Lominsan merchants attempted to sell placebos for the disease off as actual cures, causing the Arcanist's guild some woe. Greenrot may be related to the plague which claimed Nym 1,600 years ago.
Crotchrot - Could be a gambit of any RL venereal disease. Possibly Herpes, Gonorrhea, or Chlamydia.
The Scurvy - Yes, the scurvy. Eat your Sauerkraut. According to the Sauerkraut food description, all Lominsan trade ships have a very large stock of cabbage aboard.
Blight - Disease commonly carried by chigoes and other vilekin.

I'm sure there's several more out there that I can't think of off hand. A lot of these you'll only see mentioned in Levequests or some scant reference in a side quest.

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - Bryn - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 04:20 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Greenrot - Not much known about this uncurable disease. According to Fernehalwes, Lominsan merchants attempted to sell placebos for the disease off as actual cures, causing the Arcanist's guild some woe. Greenrot may be related to the plague which claimed Nym 1,600 years ago.

... Interesting. I think it's the Triad card for the Tonberry which states that it's rumoured the Tonberries carry a 'pestilence'.

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - Edgar - 03-09-2015

The Allagan Rot: An ancient Allagan disease that, based on the fight with ADS, was not only horribly virulent and deadly, but apparently WEAPONIZED to be used on intruders.

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - Askier - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 04:20 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Well here's a few diseases/illnesses that I've seen described in game.

Aether Sickness - When an individual has been exposed to an excessive amount of aether.
Pox - Eorzea's Measles. A recent outbreak of the pox has afflicted the young Doman immigrants in Mor Dhona.
Greenrot - Not much known about this uncurable disease. According to Fernehalwes, Lominsan merchants attempted to sell placebos for the disease off as actual cures, causing the Arcanist's guild some woe. Greenrot may be related to the plague which claimed Nym 1,600 years ago.
Crotchrot - Could be a gambit of any RL venereal disease. Possibly Herpes, Gonorrhea, or Chlamydia.  
The Scurvy - Yes, the scurvy. Eat your Sauerkraut. According to the Sauerkraut food description, all Lominsan trade ships have a very large stock of cabbage aboard.

I'm sure there's several more out there that I can't think of off hand. A lot of these you'll only see mentioned in Levequests or some scant reference in a side quest.
Always wondered, does casting "Cure" enough times remove them?

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - Aysun - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 05:21 PM)Askier Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 04:20 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Well here's a few diseases/illnesses that I've seen described in game.

Always wondered, does casting "Cure" enough times remove them?
Obviously not, or there wouldn't be people weeping outside the Conjurer's guild. I imagine even with magical healing methods, diseases are still a really real problem in Eorzea.

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - Sounsyy - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 05:21 PM)Askier Wrote: Always wondered, does casting "Cure" enough times remove them?

Well, considering Blight and Canker are both afflictions which can (sometimes) be removed with Esuna or Leeches, I think that'd be more the spell you'd want. Cure seems reserved for physical injuries.

The Lv45 Scholar Quest "For Your Fellow Man" sends you to the Warmwine Sanitorium in upper La Noscea to help heal the wounded soldiers there. There's a few interesting snippets from the quest text:

Quote:However, [Alka Zolka's] most recent translations offer insight into their activities during times of peace. Apparently, scholars would use their talents to help the sick and infirm, and they were even instrumental in combating a virulent plague which once threatened to engulf all of Nym.

I believe the plague they are referring to in this instance is Green Rot, but cannot confirm. So take with grain of salt. We do know Nym was eventually wiped out by a plague. Could be the same one or could be different.

Quote:Rakusa Farusa is happy to accept your assistance, and tells you of five patrons suffering from a variety of lingering conditions. Rather than treat their symptoms with restorative magicks, he implores you to address the underlying cause by leeching the impurities from their bodies.

So Cure/Physick seems to only work on removing pain and other symptoms, treating physical wounds. However, does not seem to be able to stop the cause of medical conditions, such as diseases or cancers. Whereas Leeches, much like its vilekin namesake, seems to be purposed for draining bad humours from the body and stopping a sickness at its source. (Ie. germs, infection, virus)

Quote:Moor Leech
A blood-sucking leech. Used by barbers, chirurgeons, and chymists alike to drain the tainted humours from an ill patient.
Quote:Chigoe Larva
Chirurgeons of the fallen city of Gelmorra once used chigoes to leech the dark humours of the infirm until it was realized the patients were contracting additional maladies as a result of the treatment.

So, it looks like the Esuna/Leeches spell was the safe, magical alternative to using real leeches and other vilekin as they may carry diseases of their own.

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - Sounsyy - 03-10-2015

Credit goes to Hut for finding this one!

Creeping Death - A disease carried by Chigoes in the Black Shroud. (Possibly one in the same disease as Bryn's Hyuran Blight.) Killed any Hyur who contracted the disease.

Eggs Over Queasy Wrote:The Chigoe, you see, is one of the few creatures capable of transmitting the disease known as the Creeping Death. Until relatively recently, any Hyur who contracted this ghastly illness would almost invariably perish. Indeed, a single outbreak once claimed the lives of a third of the Hyuran population here in Gridania. That was a long time ago, of course. With the medicines available to us now, the Creeping Death is not the killer it once was. Even so, it is best to halt any new outbreaks before they occur. Thus we gather chigoe eggs on a regular basis in order to assist the Trapper's League with their ongoing research.

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - Hyakki - 03-10-2015

(03-09-2015, 06:16 PM)Aysun Wrote: Obviously not, or there wouldn't be people weeping outside the Conjurer's guild. I imagine even with magical healing methods, diseases are still a really real problem in Eorzea.
They are weeping because the elementals wouldn't allow the conjurers to heal, not because the healing wasn't enough.

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - Aysun - 03-10-2015

Which means that they couldn't just magically fix it, is my point! XD

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - Maril - 03-10-2015

Thank you so much for the replies everyone. 

This has lead me to wonder if the cold is around, to which I must ask, have you ever seen any NPC's sneeze? 
Goobues sneeze, so maybe they're infected by a kind of goobue cold?

RE: Known diseases in Eorzea? - Merri - 03-10-2015

I have a whole mess of these back from 1.0 when I was compiling lore~

Ceruleum Eye: An affliction which causes the infected eye to cloud a deep blue. Causes temporary blindness, paralysis, and nausea, among several other symptoms.

Saint Allene's Fire: An extremely lethal disease, capable of killing off those afflicted in a matter of days. Unknown symptoms.

The Crimson Flux:
A disease that can be obtained from drinking contaminated water. Unknown symptoms.

Dodo Rage: A plague which causes savage aggression in Dodos. It is transmitted through Ladybug bites.

Blackroot Rose Syndrome:
The leaves of the Blackroot Rose, when consumed, cause nightmarish visions and induce extreme fits of violence.

All of that comes from this ancient thread.
Unfortunately, the site that housed the levequest descriptions is now defunct, so getting the raw leve text would require a bit more digging. I think Gamerescape still has old leves, though.