Hydaelyn Role-Players
Miqo'te naming - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Miqo'te naming (/showthread.php?tid=10497)

Pages: 1 2 3

Miqo'te naming - Break - 03-09-2015

I was wondering if it is viable to use names outside of the naming convention, like a "urban Miqo'te" instead of a tribal one.

RE: Miqo'te naming - Enteris - 03-09-2015

Several players do this and it's generally accepted. Most of those said players often have some sort of backstory to explain why their name is not tribal as well, such as breaking away from the tribe for reasons and wanting to express that with their name as well, being raised in another fashion (by Hyur, elezen, what have you), otherwise abandoned/orphaned and as such did not grow up in a tribal environment.

Edit: I would even wager that most RPers don't even bother asking why the miqo'te name is so nontribal as it is a rather common occurrence.

RE: Miqo'te naming - Break - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 10:22 AM)Enteris Wrote: Several players do this and it's generally accepted. Most of those said players often have some sort of backstory to explain why their name is not tribal as well, such as breaking away from the tribe for reasons and wanting to express that with their name as well, being raised in another fashion (by Hyur, elezen, what have you), otherwise abandoned/orphaned and as such did not grow up in a tribal environment.

Edit: I would even wager that most RPers don't even bother asking why the miqo'te name is so nontribal as it is a rather common occurrence.
Thanks for answering.

RE: Miqo'te naming - Nebbs - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 10:22 AM)Enteris Wrote: Several players do this and it's generally accepted. Most of those said players often have some sort of backstory to explain why their name is not tribal as well, such as breaking away from the tribe for reasons and wanting to express that with their name as well, being raised in another fashion (by Hyur, elezen, what have you), otherwise abandoned/orphaned and as such did not grow up in a tribal environment.

This.

I'd also add that following that Moon thing falling to the ground we are rebuilding and in the chaos things can change as people find new ways to cope.

RE: Miqo'te naming - FreelanceWizard - 03-09-2015

Just as a historical side note, way back when 1.0 was released, there were no naming conventions posts -- so a bit of retconning was required for people to fit their names into the released lore. In addition to the cited examples, some have gone with their name being a corruption of their actual name or a nickname; for instance, while her in-game name is L'yhta and fits conventions, my character goes by "Lyta" among non-miqo'te because she dislikes them butchering the pronunciation. Another approach is that your character's family has been living in the city-states for so long that they've largely assimilated and use hyur naming instead. If you have a really "out there" name, you can always say it's a nickname or a title you got in your backstory, and that you like it so much you've made it your "official" name.

The important thing, IMO, is to have a justification for your name -- since it'll come up in RP. I know L'yhta's asked people about their names before if they seemed out of the ordinary, just as a way of making conversation.

RE: Miqo'te naming - K'nahli - 03-09-2015

While it's viable, urban NPCs don't seem to stray from the conventions regardless - if that has any bearing on your answer. Though you could put that down to SE wanting to further advertise what would otherwise be the norm, name-wise.

RE: Miqo'te naming - C'kayah Polaali - 03-09-2015

One thing I see a lot of from the heavier RPers (dude! I just called them fat!) with non-traditional names is that their character's name is actually a pseudonym. "My tribal name is L'kenthi, but call me Kenthy. I hated my tribe." I've met a lot of people whose characters were adopted by non-Miqo'te following the Calamity, as well. Many of those will have non-traditional names.

People often have all sorts of reasons to change their names in real life, and these all apply, as well. C'kayah is only one quarter Keeper, but he adopted his maternal grandmother's surname because he felt that his Seeker suffix didn't really apply if he had left his tribe for good.

RE: Miqo'te naming - Gone. - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 10:22 AM)Enteris Wrote: I would even wager that most RPers don't even bother asking why the miqo'te name is so nontribal as it is a rather common occurrence.

It's true. Most people never ask Vetiver unless I bring it up first.

Just really not that important in the grand scheme of things, especially since tribal life is seemingly phasing out in modern Eorzea.

RE: Miqo'te naming - Kage - 03-09-2015

(03-09-2015, 05:23 PM)hauntmedoitagain Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 10:22 AM)Enteris Wrote: I would even wager that most RPers don't even bother asking why the miqo'te name is so nontribal as it is a rather common occurrence.

It's true. Most people never ask Vetiver unless I bring it up first.

Just really not that important in the grand scheme of things, especially since tribal life is seemingly phasing out in modern Eorzea.
Honestly, barring a one liner or two, I don't think anyone ever said aloud "Why is a lalafell named Kage Kiryuu?" No one ever said anything to him or me.

Outside of "is your name a -insert anime reference here- reference?" I've found many people... don't really go "omg your name is not exact to lore", though I've seen more Seeker males get flack Tia or Nunh or not.

RE: Miqo'te naming - kitakaze - 03-11-2015

(03-09-2015, 04:36 PM)C Wrote: One thing I see a lot of from the heavier RPers (dude! I just called them fat!) with non-traditional names is that their character's name is actually a pseudonym. "My tribal name is L'kenthi, but call me Kenthy. I hated my tribe." I've met a lot of people whose characters were adopted by non-Miqo'te following the Calamity, as well. Many of those will have non-traditional names.

People often have all sorts of reasons to change their names in real life, and these all apply, as well. C'kayah is only one quarter Keeper, but he adopted his maternal grandmother's surname because he felt that his Seeker suffix didn't really apply if he had left his tribe for good.

Excellent point. Sazhi'to has lived in Limsa for long enough that he doesn't question names unless they are particularly outlandish. It's rude to make fun of a name! 

Mholi on the other hand is likely to mispronounce Elezen names, insist on using proper Miqo'te Keeper names, and ignore Tribal prefixes with Seekers. 

It's all down to personal decisions!  Both yours and your character's :)

RE: Miqo'te naming - Alothia - 03-11-2015

Alothia's name is what it is because 1. Like it was said, I didn't know the conventions beforehand, 2. I didn't know what RP was and so had no intention of RPing at the beginning, and 3. There were no name changes until recently and forget leveling another character.

As RP went on, though, I did have to come up with justification as to why her name is more hyuran. Alothia's parents were traditional Keepers until they met each other. They fell in love, which is friggin' weird for Keepers, and Aly's father wanted to stick around, also unheard of. So they left the clan, found a little place in the Shroud near Hyrstmill, and changed their names so as to fit in better. I figure that's a good an answer as any.

RE: Miqo'te naming - Cato - 03-11-2015

It's definitely possible for a Miqo'te to embrace a name that distances themselves from their tribal roots. A lot of Miqo'te are essentially just Hyur-with-cat-ears when it comes to those that have embraced Eorzean society anyway.

For tribal Miqo'te that remain tribal Miqo'te, however, it's a bit more complex. They'd likely be expected to adhere very closely to their people's traditions. If they didn't, then it's very likely that they'd be exiled or at the very least viewed with disdain.

Which, in turn, can stimulate quite a bit of intriguing IC conflict!

RE: Miqo'te naming - V'aleera - 03-11-2015

(03-11-2015, 01:30 PM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: It's definitely possible for a Miqo'te to embrace a name that distances themselves from their tribal roots. A lot of Miqo'te are essentially just Hyur-with-cat-ears when it comes to those that have embraced Eorzean society anyway.
I prefer to be called an Elezen-with-cat-ears, thanks.

Also, when referring to the multitudes of Limsan kitties that dress and talk like pirates, please respectfully refer to them as Roe-with-cat-ears.

And any Miqo'te that ever talks about money or commerce should be called a Lala-with-cat-ears.

RE: Miqo'te naming - C'kayah Polaali - 03-11-2015

(03-11-2015, 11:50 AM)kitakaze Wrote: Mholi on the other hand is likely to mispronounce Elezen names, insist on using proper Miqo'te Keeper names, and ignore Tribal prefixes with Seekers. 

That could neeeeeever come back to bite her in the ass with C... Wink

RE: Miqo'te naming - Coatleque - 03-11-2015

My next character will be a Seeker named C'mon Gais