Hydaelyn Role-Players
Newbie Here! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Newbie Here! (/showthread.php?tid=10488)

Newbie Here! - Break - 03-08-2015

Hello everyone!

I am new to both the game and RPing, still learning the game's lore. I haven't even created a character yet, because I'm waiting for Balmung to open and also haven't even chosen a job yet so any tips are welcomed, I'm leaning towards a Miqo'te DPS right now.

Also a bit about myself, I tend to be very shy and awkward when starting a conversation but not when I'm talked to, the reason why I decided joining the community is because I just got out of a depression and thought that RPing would help me with my socialization skills and having a good time doing something fun is never a bad thing to do, if you wanna know anything about me feel free to ask.

I really hope I can become a active part of the RP community. By the way, English isn't my main language, yet, so sorry for any mistakes.

Thanks for the attention. Big Grin

RE: Newbie Here! - Kestrael - 03-08-2015

Welcome! Your English seems great. Hope to see you around.

RE: Newbie Here! - Elaris - 03-08-2015

Welcome to the community!
I'd say a Miqo'te DPS is the best way to go for a new player.
As for class I'd say Archer was the easiest one for me to pick up as a new player.
Hope to see you around Balmung soon enough!
  Smile

RE: Newbie Here! - Faye - 03-08-2015

Hello there, welcome to Balmung! It's good to have you here! Big Grin Your English is perfectly fine, so don't fret it!

RE: Newbie Here! - Heart Quintessence - 03-08-2015

Welcome to Balmung!  Your English is impeccable.

As someone else who is also waiting (to get into Balmung), and looking to build a Miquo'te, we'll be in he same boat. Try really early in the morning.

RE: Newbie Here! - Maril - 03-08-2015

Welcome! Smile

RE: Newbie Here! - Nebbs - 03-08-2015

Welcome and here's hoping you can find the time when this server opens the doors.

Quite a lot of people would fit your profile so be reassured with that, and I would recommend finding a nice FC that supports newcomers to RP. That can make a world of difference to confidence and fun.

The Linkshell tab at the top of the page will give you some possibilities, and maybe even some ideas for your character.

RE: Newbie Here! - Break - 03-08-2015

Thanks for the kindness. I'll have to pass on the Bard, brings back some bad memories and doesn't really fit my style. My options are pretty much getting nailed down to Dragoon or Ninja, so do you guys mind answering a few questions?

- How is the Dragoon hate going?
- How hard is it to resist the urge to jump in the middle of an AoE?
- How does the Ninja's mudras work?
- I can see the differences between them, but could someone resume the pros and cons?
- Is the Monk REALLY just about maintaining GL stacks, back attacking and Flanking?

RE: Newbie Here! - Ligardian Dreamer - 03-08-2015

Hello and welcome!

Have fun! And, "may the path in the light of the crystal" be filled with many memories and experiences!

RE: Newbie Here! - Kurt S. - 03-08-2015

(03-08-2015, 08:37 PM)Break Wrote: Thanks for the kindness. I'll have to pass on the Bard, brings back some bad memories and doesn't really fit my style. My options are pretty much getting nailed down to Dragoon or Ninja, so do you guys mind answering a few questions?

- I can see the differences between them, but could someone resume the pros and cons?
- Is the Monk REALLY just about maintaining GL stacks, back attacking and Flanking?

Yes monks are all about them greased lightnings. GL I and II don't do much but hit GL III and you're suddenly erasing everything in sight. 

Both Dragoons and Monks rely on your positioning. Though I think Dragoons are a bit more forgiving in that department.

Jumping in the middle of an aoe will still damage you. Elusive Jumping (level 35 job skill iirc) out of an aoe is a very satisfying feeling, made doubly so when you Spineshatter Dive(level 40 job skill) back into your enemy's face.

Granted, I'm no expert in these classes and I have yet to be a ninja. So take these words with a pound of salt maybe. 

Also, from one non-native english spokener to another, your English is good don't fret about it. If you're not confident about it, dive into some RP and WILL get better over time.

(03-08-2015, 09:01 PM)Ice Cream Sandwich Wrote:
(03-08-2015, 08:37 PM)Break Wrote: Thanks for the kindness. I'll have to pass on the Bard, brings back some bad memories and doesn't really fit my style. My options are pretty much getting nailed down to Dragoon or Ninja, so do you guys mind answering a few questions?

Yes monks are all about them greased lightnings. GL I and II don't do much but hit GL III and you're suddenly erasing everything in sight. 

Both Dragoons and Monks rely on your positioning. Though I think Dragoons are a bit more forgiving in that department.

Jumping in the middle of an aoe will still damage you. Elusive Jumping (level 35 job skill iirc) out of an aoe is a very satisfying feeling, made doubly so when you Spineshatter Dive(level 40 job skill) back into your enemy's face.

Granted, I'm no expert in these classes and I have yet to be a ninja. So take these words with a pound of salt maybe. 

Also, from one non-native english spokener to another, your English is good, don't fret about it. If you're not confident about it, dive into some RP and you WILL get better over time.

#sorry #doublepost #forgothowtoeditposts

RE: Newbie Here! - Break - 03-08-2015

Also, from one non-native english spokener to another, your English is good don't fret about it. If you're not confident about it, dive into some RP and WILL get better over time.
Thanks A LOT, but to see if I got it right
Monk relies on GL and flanking to deal constant damage while Dragoon also relies on flanking, but not as much, and can use jumps to get in and out of position when needed. Is that it?

(03-08-2015, 09:25 PM)Break Wrote:

Thanks A LOT, but to see if I got it right
Monk relies on GL and flanking to deal constant damage while Dragoon also relies on flanking, but not as much, and can use jumps to get in and out of position when needed. Is that it?

Monks are very reliant on positioning and GL so yeah. 

Dragoons rely on attacking from the sides to maximize damage right up until 50 where you can really start attacking from behind without being a bit redundant. And yes Jumps help you rushdown an enemy or jump away from danger.

RE: Newbie Here! - Rosamund - 03-09-2015

(03-08-2015, 08:37 PM)Break Wrote: - How does the Ninja's mudras work?

Different mudra combinations allow you to use different abilities. Some of them give you buffs (like Huton, increased attack speed, and Suiton, allows you to use Trick/Sneak Attack in combat) and others do direct damage (Raiton for single target, Katon and Doton for aoe). The CD is 20 seconds and you just weave that into your normal rotation whenever it's off CD. It can take a bit of time to memorise the combinations but you get the hang of it whilst you level to 50.

Hope that helps and welcome to the RPC!