Hydaelyn Role-Players
Opinions on Padjal Characters? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Opinions on Padjal Characters? (/showthread.php?tid=10221)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Opinions on Padjal Characters? - Hihimi - 02-21-2015

Hello! I was curious to know what everyone's opinions on Padjal characters are...I'm tempted to make one but I want to know how taboo it is, or if it's not even lore friendly at all...
From what I can see in game, Padjals are extremely rare, but new ones are still being born--thus leaving "Unaccounted for in lore" Padjals... If this is wrong, please tell me!

Now, on to the RP. She'd obviously be a White Mage OOCly and ICly, and not announce her white magic to everyone she meets...One of the things I noticed in various quests is their "Masquerade" as normal, albeit very powerful, conjurers...Probably to put the population's minds at ease. She'd not be a casual kind of character who sits around in a tavern--rather, a person who does stuff and leads expeditions to purify the corrupted areas in the wilds of the black shroud. As for how I'm going to get her horns, I don't really know yet... Everything else seems to be doable with character creation and careful outfitting, though.

Finally, note I will not go through with this idea if too many people are against it. I know that upsetting someone is an eventuality, but I'd prefer to gauge how many people will get upset beforehand, and abstain if it's an overwhelming no. Thanks!

RE: Opinions on Padjal Characters? - Edvyn - 02-21-2015

i have a bad feeling about this

RE: Opinions on Padjal Characters? - Ashren Dotharl - 02-21-2015

The short and simple answer is no, it's not even remotely lore friendly.

RE: Opinions on Padjal Characters? - reinadancer - 02-21-2015

(02-21-2015, 09:51 AM)Hihimi Himi Wrote: One of the things I noticed in various quests is their "Masquerade" as normal, albeit very powerful, conjurers...Probably to put the population's minds at ease. 

I've been through the WHM story twice and I never got that impression. O.o I thought the general population knew that the Padjal were blessed by Elementals with White Magic.

Also, you mention the horns yourself a bit later, and that's my major question. How is a perpetual child with horns going to masquerade as anything other than Padjal? It's -potentially- possible that less educated populations of Limsa and Ul'dah might not immediately know what she is, but most anyone in Gridania would know a Padjal when they see one.

RE: Opinions on Padjal Characters? - DrDucker - 02-21-2015

sounds dangerous

that said, if you want to do it, do it - just be aware of the repercussions from people that like a more canon setting

(02-21-2015, 10:13 AM)Reina Dancer Wrote:
(02-21-2015, 09:51 AM)Hihimi Himi Wrote: One of the things I noticed in various quests is their "Masquerade" as normal, albeit very powerful, conjurers...Probably to put the population's minds at ease. 

I've been through the WHM story twice and I never got that impression. O.o I thought the general population knew that the Padjal were blessed by Elementals with White Magic.

Also, you mention the horns yourself a bit later, and that's my major question. How is a perpetual child with horns going to masquerade as anything other than Padjal? It's -potentially- possible that less educated populations of Limsa and Ul'dah might not immediately know what she is, but most anyone in Gridania would know a Padjal when they see one.
They don't really masquerade as anything as far as I know, anyone who is a resident of Gridania knows what and who the Padjal are. Any child chosen by the Elementals is taken away to the Stillglade Fane to be trained in White Magic. While there may be Padjal we have yet to meet, the lore doesn't really leave much wiggle room for "unaccounted for" Padjal because the Elementals pick them specifically, it's not really some random thing that happens and no one knows about it.

If you're going to play a Padjal, you may as well play the Warrior of Light as well. You're pretty much afforded the same level of mary sue.

RE: Opinions on Padjal Characters? - reinadancer - 02-21-2015

I will also add that the vast majority of the RP community is very likely to just say no to this. It's hard enough just getting a White Mage character to be accepted, much less a Padjal.

RE: Opinions on Padjal Characters? - Kage - 02-21-2015

It'd be easier for a character to be finding some other means of using white magic and the succor ala Vegas Fanfest lore panel than to say my character is a padjal.

(02-21-2015, 10:18 AM)Reina Dancer Wrote: I will also add that the vast majority of the RP community is very likely to just say no to this. It's hard enough just getting a White Mage character to be accepted, much less a Padjal.
Just to add onto this, most characters who color outside the lines in general tend to have a difficult time getting accepted by the RP community as a whole. People who play races outside the currently playable races tend to be viewed with skepticism at best, and out right rejection at worst. Things such as Allagan, Voidsent, Dragons, or something entirely made up are pretty common taboos, Padjal not so much but it's definitely on par.

My advice is do what you want if you think you'll have fun with it, but if you're looking for community acceptance and mass appeal, this isn't a good idea.

RE: Opinions on Padjal Characters? - Hihimi - 02-21-2015

Yeesh. There goes that Idea then.

RE: Opinions on Padjal Characters? - Desu Nee - 02-21-2015

Anything remotely close to WHM or Gridania structure will be received as well as if you were half void-sent half Allagan being a spy of the Garleans.
This game has so many taboo rps it's hilarious. Not saying that's bad, I've seen way worse communities and here you're not screamed Mary Sue left and right, but yeah.

Regarding Paldjaa, I had the same idea a while ago and dropped because really, Paldjaa are chosen ones for Gridania, and leaving it makes as much sense as if you're a Nunh and it's out there adventuring. But honestly, we were kinda harsh with how we approached this on this thread.

(02-21-2015, 10:38 AM)Hihimi Himi Wrote: Yeesh. There goes that Idea then.
You could rework into something more plausible! Maybe a Conjurer trying to replicate WHM abilities, that's canon!

RE: Opinions on Padjal Characters? - Hihimi - 02-21-2015

I don't even know why this is so taboo, tbh, White mages that AREN'T padjal seem more taboo to me. Mind explaining that, anyone?

RE: Opinions on Padjal Characters? - Edvyn - 02-21-2015

(02-21-2015, 10:39 AM)Desu Nee Wrote: we were kinda harsh with how we approached this on this thread.
i don't see any posts that could be considered harsh. OP wanted opinions, OP got opinions Cool

(02-21-2015, 10:23 AM)Ashren Snow Wrote:
(02-21-2015, 10:18 AM)Reina Dancer Wrote: I will also add that the vast majority of the RP community is very likely to just say no to this. It's hard enough just getting a White Mage character to be accepted, much less a Padjal.
Just to add onto this, most characters who color outside the lines in general tend to have a difficult time getting accepted by the RP community as a whole. People who play races outside the currently playable races tend to be viewed with skepticism at best, and out right rejection at worst. Things such as Allagan, Voidsent, Dragons, or something entirely made up are pretty common taboos, Padjal not so much but it's definitely on par.

My advice is do what you want if you think you'll have fun with it, but if you're looking for community acceptance and mass appeal, this isn't a good idea.
Frankly, the whole RP community as a whole is a massive hogwash. At least 75% of the RP in FF is in close knotted FC groups, with their own story that overlaps, and more often than not doesn't fit another rp in another FC, and while I agree Lore should be respected, appreciated and used as to work your character, one shouldn't do something to please everyone, because that's nigh impossible, and any interesting idea that COULD be worked respecting lore is normally shot down because some people make Lore a rulebook instead of a guideline.

Regarding playing outside playable races, I agree 100%. It's hard to take seriously a Garlean without something covering the third eye and being a spellcaster, and I say that by personal experience, and who the hell would rp themselves as a dragon, lol.