Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP etiquette question - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP etiquette question (/showthread.php?tid=10187)

Pages: 1 2

RP etiquette question - Khoure - 02-19-2015

okay so, I'm brand new to rp, I've always really wanted to give it a shot but never found the time nor chance before. I used to play around with rp on a forum when I was twelve, but in-game rp is a bit different by definition.

I've seen that some people like to rp in /say, especially in the quicksand. I was wondering, if people do that, does that mean it is open for others to join in? For example, the other day two people were talking about their different weapons and the guy mentioned treants, and how having an axe was useful against them. My character, Synglona Eyrinebbwyn, was raised on the sea, with a family of low-level pirates. She's barely ever been on land until now, when she decided to 'test her fate' among other things by becoming an adventurer. She chartered a course straight for Ul'dah on the idea that the gladiator's guild had the closest fighting style to her established 'swashbuckling' swordplay (later she will find rogue's guild to be closer, but by then she will hopefully be an accomplished paladin).

Based on that concept, I realized that Synglona has never seen a Treant, and has only heard vague mentions of 'crazy gridanians using spirits as an excuse for everything' and ridiculously fabricated tales of around the world, picked up at port cities. I wanted to have her jump in and ask something along the lines of "I'm sorry to interrupt, but treants? Living tree monsters really exist!?" but I wasn't sure if that would be okay, or if they would get annoyed at me bumping in out of nowhere.

so to make a long story short- does RPing in /say indicate an open invitation to join in? Or is it still considered semi-private between the people role playing? Also if there are any other unspoken etiquette rules, I'd like to hear about them. I know the basics (ie don't godmod, don't be a d-bag, and so on..) but almost nothing that is specific to mmo RPing

edit: apparently my brain wanted to play a trick on me, because I spelled my own character's name wrong twice OTL

RE: RP etiquette question - Cato - 02-19-2015

Any role-play that takes place outside of private instances can safely be assumed to be open to outsiders. It may be worth sending the role-player(s) in question a polite whisper to ask if they're open to having another character join in though.

RE: RP etiquette question - Alothia - 02-19-2015

(02-19-2015, 12:57 AM)Khoure Wrote: okay so, I'm brand new to rp, I've always really wanted to give it a shot but never found the time nor chance before. I used to play around with rp on a forum when I was twelve, but in-game rp is a bit different by definition.

I've seen that some people like to rp in /say, especially in the quicksand. I was wondering, if people do that, does that mean it is open for others to join in? For example, the other day two people were talking about their different weapons and the guy mentioned treants, and how having an axe was useful against them. My character, Lyngsona Eyrinebbwyn, was raised on the sea, with a family of low-level pirates. She's barely ever been on land until now, when she decided to 'test her fate' among other things by becoming an adventurer. She chartered a course straight for Ul'dah on the idea that the gladiator's guild had the closest fighting style to her established 'swashbuckling' swordplay (later she will find rogue's guild to be closer, but by then she will hopefully be an accomplished paladin).

Based on that concept, I realized that Lyngsona has never seen a Treant, and has only heard vague mentions of 'crazy gridanians using spirits as an excuse for everything' and ridiculously fabricated tales of around the world, picked up at port cities. I wanted to have her jump in and ask something along the lines of "I'm sorry to interrupt, but treants? Living tree monsters really exist!?" but I wasn't sure if that would be okay, or if they would get annoyed at me bumping in out of nowhere.

so to make a long story short- does RPing in /say indicate an open invitation to join in? Or is it still considered semi-private between the people role playing? Also if there are any other unspoken etiquette rules, I'd like to hear about them. I know the basics (ie don't godmod, don't be a d-bag, and so on..) but almost nothing that is specific to mmo RPing

Honestly, if people are RPing in /say, I'd say go for it. If they don't want to be bothered, they'll usually do it in party chat. But if you're worried, why not just shoot them a /tell? Always a good way in case you're worried about it. ^^

RE: RP etiquette question - Gaspard - 02-19-2015

It depends. For example, if you're un an open city environment, or a public pub like the quicksand, than I am rather sure that's a very open invitation to join in. There's no reason to visit a pub or the likes as a roleplayer to have a 'private play' so to speak, not involving others.

Now, Should you encounter roleplayers in some secluded part of a map, doing things in /say, it might be that they're simply not expecting anyone to show up. Therein, a tell 'might' be better then just jumping into it.

Otherwise I have to agree with the rest here. Most people that want things to stay private do so through grouping up with the individuals or taking the RP to /tells. If neither is present, just go for it, or throw them a short OOC question if you can butt in.

RE: RP etiquette question - Khoure - 02-19-2015

thanks guys! I suspected as much in regards to the openness (they were using /say at the quicksand after all), but I'm also new to this and feel better having confirmation, though at the same time was a bit afraid that sending a tell might interrupt their rp flow since it's OOC. I think I'll do that the next time I feel like my character would actually jump into a conversation.

RE: RP etiquette question - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-19-2015

If you ever happen to encounter Franz somewhere, I'm likely IC. Feel free to poke any time if it looks interesting to you!

RE: RP etiquette question - Gaspard - 02-19-2015

Don't worry, 99 percent of people around here are very helpful and forthcoming

RE: RP etiquette question - Nebbs - 02-19-2015

For me, if I see a toon I may just RP at it and see if there is any response. This can be in known RP locations but also anywhere else I bump into likely RPers.

Often I get "(I'm ooc)" as a response or nothing. But often I also get an IC response and sometimes lovely RP.

I realise some people are shy an also new to this, try and find a suportuve positive RP friend(s) or FC.

And if you see me ... poke me, I might bite Smile

RE: RP etiquette question - SicketySix - 02-19-2015

I'm actually going to disagree with the majority here saying that it can usually be defined as /say RP being open to everyone. It actually, seems to be quite the opposite to me, both from personal experience, and watching the experiences of others.

However that being said, about the worst that will happen if you try to join in on the conversation without asking first, will just lead to them ignoring you are even there.

I'd say send a /tell and ask if it was okay.

RE: RP etiquette question - Kage - 02-19-2015

Most of us here at RPC operate under the assumption that if it is in /say that it is open and free game. Party, linkshell (if dedicated to RP), or /tell are the more private channels. One of the big things that might be the exemption is if you are in a place that is generally empty (mostly open-world) as it may be something that people have planned (an outing, trip or quest) so I would say sending a /tell would garner you the best response in that situation.

The other exception is having a reasonable expectation of how far and how much a character can hear. The /say reach is pretty far. And can also clip through big heavy Quicksand doors :>

/yell has a very big radius and /shout reaches the entire map zone you are in.

RE: RP etiquette question - Kestrael - 02-19-2015

Like the others said, a tell is a good idea. Also I think it's mostly a common sense sort of thing. If they are talking about something that doesn't seem private (family, relationship, etc) it should be fair game in a pub or other communal hang out.

Also, yay! Another Roe! I am away atm but if you ever see Kestrael Grymstahlwyn feel free to come rp with me! No tell necessary.

RE: RP etiquette question - Unnamed Mercenary - 02-19-2015

(02-19-2015, 10:21 AM)A Wrote: I'm actually going to disagree with the majority here saying that it can usually be defined as /say RP being open to everyone. It actually, seems to be quite the opposite to me, both from personal experience, and watching the experiences of others.

However that being said, about the worst that will happen if you try to join in on the conversation without asking first, will just lead to them ignoring you are even there.

It's hard to judge. If it's happening in a tavern, I expect it to be open. But it doesn't mean people have to respond. If people were say, strolling around the city, or in some other secluded area, I would see it as more private. 

While generally never done enough, communication is key. If you're worried about intruding, that's when I'd send an OOC tell to one of the people. The worst they can say is "no". At the same time, many RPers also have a [RPer, walkups ok] tag on their search info. I would count anything as open unless they OOCly state it isn't, at that point.

RE: RP etiquette question - C'kayah Polaali - 02-19-2015

(02-19-2015, 10:39 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(02-19-2015, 10:21 AM)A Wrote: I'm actually going to disagree with the majority here saying that it can usually be defined as /say RP being open to everyone. It actually, seems to be quite the opposite to me, both from personal experience, and watching the experiences of others.

While generally never done enough, communication is key. If you're worried about intruding, that's when I'd send an OOC tell to one of the people. The worst they can say is "no". At the same time, many RPers also have a [RPer, walkups ok] tag on their search info. I would count anything as open unless they OOCly state it isn't, at that point.

This, right here.

There's a difference between an RP being OOCly open and being ICly open. If I go to the Quicksand and RP C'kayah having a conversation with a contact about some contraband that's coming into Ul'dah, I'm clearly doing it OOCly because it's intended to be overheard, and because shady deals happen in shady bars, and because walkup RP could happen because of it. Other RPers are OOCly welcome to jump in. At the same time, if some random person walked up while C'kayah and his contact were having this conversation and tried to butt in, they would not be ICly welcomed into it. Because, hey, it's still two criminals talking crime.

RE: RP etiquette question - Khoure - 02-19-2015

this is more complex than I thought 0.0 so I guess the consensus is that sending an OOC tell potentially breaking their flow is better etiquette than slipping in potentially uninvited?

(02-19-2015, 10:34 AM)Kestrael Wrote: Also, yay! Another Roe!

yeah, Roe's are pretty interesting! I'm also playing a duskwight, but my main on Lamia is a moon cat. It's so cool getting to use such tall characters compared to my Miqo'te. Synglona is at the top of the height slider, and I just got to the story quest (Ul'dah starting point) where you meet Raubahn. It's almost surreal getting to tower over him.

RE: RP etiquette question - Cato - 02-19-2015

Don't let the subtle complexities overwhelm you too much. It's worth noting that the role-playing community is made up of a lot of different role-players who hail from all sorts of different backgrounds.
Some role-players have absolutely no problem with strangers approaching them during a scene even if they're out in the middle of nowhere. Don't feel as though you have to message someone to ask permission to get involved in their role-play. 

You might that you're more interested in actually role-playing than indulging in the sometimes lengthy song and dance of gaining someone's permission. If they don't respond to a couple of direct IC prompts then it may be a solid sign that they're not really worth interacting with in the first place.

I know when I'm engaging in role-play, regardless of whether it's a planned or spontaneous affair, I always make it a point to keep a scene open to outsiders getting involved and actively welcome them if their character and style meshes well with my own.

You'll also find that the RPC isn't necessarily representative of the entire community of role-players present on Balmung. For various reasons a notable portion of role-players don't post on this site at all, so feel free to take much of the advice here with a pinch of salt as in some cases the views parroted here aren't true across the board. Wink