Hydaelyn Role-Players
Technology related lore question - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Technology related lore question (/showthread.php?tid=10070)

Technology related lore question - Magellan - 02-12-2015

How far can I take this idea:

I have a cait sith minion. I want to make it canon for my character.

No, I don't mean for it to be thee cait sith. Its a doll, that my character made , as a companion/play toy for her carby.

Either through engineering or magic I would also like the toy to walk, and possibly produce sound (speech would probably be pushing it too much). I know machinist is coming out, but don't want to bank too heavily on unknown lore.
So, my question to you all is: is there any currently available lore that would support my little stuffed frankenstein, through either mechanical or magical means?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

RE: Technology related lore question - FreelanceWizard - 02-12-2015

Well, we know mammets can move independently, and they can also eventually develop personality (the Goldsmith quest line discusses this). So, yes, this is something that seems to be already possible within the bounds of existing lore.

RE: Technology related lore question - Magellan - 02-12-2015

(02-12-2015, 12:06 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Well, we know mammets can move independently, and they can also eventually develop personality (the Goldsmith quest line discusses this). So, yes, this is something that seems to be already possible within the bounds of existing lore.
I see. Mammets came at the tail end of my last stay in Eorzea (I've just returned) so I know very little about them. I shall commence with the Googling. Thank you, oh kind Wizard of Freelancing.

RE: Technology related lore question - Sounsyy - 02-12-2015

Seconding what Freelance said. "Clockwork Servitors" or "Mammets" is what you're going for. These are made by Goldsmiths with a bunch of tiny parts and silver/gold metal bits to conduct the inner works of however exactly they function. What gives them a seeming... sentience or personality is their Mammet Core. We don't know exactly how the minute details work, only that it does and is represented quite a bit in lore. I'd look into the various Minion descriptions on Gamerescape or in your own Minion Guide. There's some tidbits on there about mammets and how they function and such. ^^

RE: Technology related lore question - Siha - 02-12-2015

Doesn't the Mammet Heart even give the Magitek armor in the MSQ a bit of a personality too? I could be wrong but I thought that was something I remembered.

RE: Technology related lore question - Cliodhna Eoghan - 02-12-2015

trick out a mammot. .__.
steiner is clio's ic buddy and he's a mammot that's basically been "refurbished" with a vanguard model toy, thus giving him "NEW LIFE WITH A WONDROUS FORM OF EXISTENCE, BESTOWED UPON HIM BY HIS BENEVOLENT MISTRESS WHO SAW HIS SHATTERED AND BROKEN HUSK OF A BODY AND RECOGNIZED HIS INNER GLORY, THUS REALIZING THAT HE, STEINER, WAS THE ONLY ONE WORTHY OF SUCH HONOR AND TRIBUTE!" according to him....as you can see; he has quite the personality.

in any case; with all the "wind up" minions; i don't see why you can't apply the same logic and "frankenstein" the two together, as you put it ;3

RE: Technology related lore question - Magellan - 02-12-2015

Thank you all for the helpful replies Smile

You ever been working on a concept for a character or a story, and the pieces just seem to be fitting together?

I started with an idea of 'well, I want Sola to make jewelry, so I'll make her a goldsmith ICly'.

But then the more I thought about it, the more I though; 'Well, I actually want her to be more of a tinkerer, and make some kind've unique stuff (ICly)'. And you all have just informed me that stills fits in perfectly with my ICly goldsmith idea.

*puts a cigar in mouth* "Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?"

You all are tremendously wonderful!