Hydaelyn Role-Players
Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Rules for Event 2 in first post) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Forum: Chronicled Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Rules for Event 2 in first post) (/showthread.php?tid=7548)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Aya - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 12:33 PM)Whittledown Wrote: Yeah, there's not going to be a lot of sympathy for the non-collared.  Even the collared folk Hornet thinks should have taken their own heads rather than do what they did.  But she's a hard-ass like that.
No question about it.  There is no compulsion defense for accessory to mass murder.  We should be looking for a triggering device not a disabling one for those collars.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 12:34 PM)Aya Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 12:33 PM)Whittledown Wrote: Yeah, there's not going to be a lot of sympathy for the non-collared.  Even the collared folk Hornet thinks should have taken their own heads rather than do what they did.  But she's a hard-ass like that.
No question about it.  There is no compulsion defense for accessory to mass murder.  We should be looking for a triggering device not a disabling one for those collars.

I'm tempted to agree actually. After she found out what happened, Nat was pretty shocked to find that people willingly helped orchestrate it.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Kage - 07-14-2014

Kage's biased for Natalie but he was extremely grateful that Natalie has some limits. But he's definitely still got "double standards" in mind on one character in mind.

If he could, for the killing of several hundreds of people he had half a mind to sign some kill on sight orders to Private and Corporal Brass Blades.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Coatleque - 07-14-2014

Suddenly I'm glad I was not present this weekend o.O

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-14-2014

EITHER WAY. I'm pretty happy with the excitement level, and am looking forward to see how things develop!

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Warren Castille - 07-14-2014

Blood on the Sands: An exploration in morality.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Melkire - 07-14-2014

Some OoC commentary from Mr. Saturday Cartoon Villains Organizer is in order. Warning: here be potential spoilers regarding bygone events.

1. No one on the offensive knew exactly what they were causing a distraction for. The one most in the know was Osric, who only knew that Jin'li would be inside the city and up to... something.

2. Fun fact: Southern California imports the majority of its water from the Colorado River. That means that Los Angeles, one of the largest cities in the United States, is extremely dependent on a non-local source in order to support its population, to the point where the local drought this past year forced local and state governments to consider water restrictions/rationing. Supporting a large population with imported resources is difficult, but not impossible. I've heard tidbits here and there from Kahn'a: apparently there are already several efforts underway to shift Ul'dahn dependence from local to non-local sources.

3. Bottled drinks should still be safe, meaning repercussions for unwitting patrons of the Quicksand and other such establishments should be, for the most part, nil... as those drinks would have been bottled prior to the Atrocity (I like that name). This might be enough to hold over parts of the population.

4. IRL, the average human can go for up to 100 hours (three to four days, usually) without water. Same should go for Hyur, and from there you can extrapolate expected needs for the other races.

5. There will definitely be consequences and repercussions for those involved in the event. There's no getting out of this cleanly for anyone who works, willingly or otherwise, for Jin'li.

6. This is what happens when you let the flashy, nonsensical frontal assault distract you from the real threat. You get Jin'li in ur base, killing ur d00dz.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 12:33 PM)Whittledown Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 12:31 PM)Aya Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 12:22 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: For an OOC look on what Franz/Merc knew ICly, a lot of the bad guys weren't told what was happening. We were just hired to cause a diversion. 

Needless to say, some of the non-collared bad guys *cough cough* may want to do something about it. It will be interesting to see how he hears of the poisoning, you know, living with Kage and Nat.
Good luck with that defense when you next come back to Ul'dah :-]

Yeah, there's not going to be a lot of sympathy for the non-collared.  Even the collared folk Hornet thinks should have taken their own heads rather than do what they did.  But she's a hard-ass like that.

The big thing to consider here is that the hired folk didn't even have a clue what the plans were. I'd say quite a few of us were upset/disgruntled about what happened, and there will probably be some side-changing. From an OOC perspective, I don't think Franz wants Jin'li's money anymore. ...it's probably poisoned too. Geek

But IC perspective, the only person who really knew Franz was there was Natalie. (Pretty obvious when they heard each other talking). Kage probably has a sneaking suspicion too, but we haven't RPed anything about that yet.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Coatleque - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 12:46 PM)Melkire Wrote: You get Jin'li in ur base, killing ur d00dz.

S'why I always play strat games defensively! Till the AI runs out of resources trying to zerg me.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Aya - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 12:49 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 12:33 PM)Whittledown Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 12:31 PM)Aya Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 12:22 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: For an OOC look on what Franz/Merc knew ICly, a lot of the bad guys weren't told what was happening. We were just hired to cause a diversion. 

Needless to say, some of the non-collared bad guys *cough cough* may want to do something about it. It will be interesting to see how he hears of the poisoning, you know, living with Kage and Nat.
Good luck with that defense when you next come back to Ul'dah :-]

Yeah, there's not going to be a lot of sympathy for the non-collared.  Even the collared folk Hornet thinks should have taken their own heads rather than do what they did.  But she's a hard-ass like that.

The big thing to consider here is that the hired folk didn't even have a clue what the plans were. I'd say quite a few of us were upset/disgruntled about what happened, and there will probably be some side-changing. From an OOC perspective, I don't think Franz wants Jin'li's money anymore. ...it's probably poisoned too. Geek

But IC perspective, the only person who really knew Franz was there was Natalie. (Pretty obvious when they heard each other talking). Kage probably has a sneaking suspicion too, but we haven't RPed anything about that yet.
From an IC perspective you're even worse than the collared folk, willing accessories to mass murder.  So.. good luck if you try to return to Ul'dah, don't mind the armed mob!

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Kage - 07-14-2014

Well let's just say this, people don't and did not like that some people did some roughing up for the Syndicate when they were being blackmailed. ICly Kage knows certain people wanted Nat's head for orchestrating an event to try and help her dear friend that turned into a debacle. He scrambled around to try and stop any of that sort.

How do you think people will react to the death of hundreds? Knowingly? Even at the threat of one's own life?

I honestly expect that people will be on two sides of the spectrum. Rise to crush Jin'li and those who are helping him knowing full well what has and is going to happen. The other, those who lose morale and are defeated leading to riots etc.

I'm pretty sure the Syndicate will be going full force to stopping this. Their wealth is going to take a hit because of the artificially inflated cost of imports. Funds to go to the brass blades and Immortal Flames to crush them. They certainly won't be happy about all the decontamination and flushing out of the water sources that aren't natural. But any groundwater? That's fucked.

(07-14-2014, 12:46 PM)Melkire Wrote: 6. This is what happens when you let the flashy, nonsensical frontal assault distract you from the real threat. You get Jin'li in ur base, killing ur d00dz.

To be fair this seems to be less a conscious choice on the part of the defenders, and more just the way it was GMed. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldnt present it like this.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Warren Castille - 07-14-2014

Everyone breathe. We're all invested, yes, but we should remember we're discussing the actions of our characters first and foremost.

Osric's post is on the money. This isn't a "everyone in Ul'dah on 7/12 is dead" situation, but it's going to increase tension. It's almost amusing how similar the MSQ from 2.3 lines up with this sort of thing.

There are plans underway to alleviate, but not remove, the looming threat of dehydration. There are plans underway to handle potential events on the way.

The victory means nothing if you don't have to overcome something to attain it.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Melkire - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 12:53 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 12:46 PM)Melkire Wrote: 6. This is what happens when you let the flashy, nonsensical frontal assault distract you from the real threat. You get Jin'li in ur base, killing ur d00dz.

To be fair this seems to be less a conscious choice on the part of the defenders, and more just the way it was GMed. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldnt present it like this.

From what I've heard, there was supposed to have been a conscious effort from the defenders inside the city to keep a watch out for any potential subterfuge.

Apparently that fell through for numerous reasons.

*shrugs*

(07-14-2014, 12:52 PM)ExKage Wrote: I'm pretty sure the Syndicate will be going full force to stopping this. Their wealth is going to take a hit because of the artificially inflated cost of imports. Funds to go to the brass blades and Immortal Flames to crush them. They certainly won't be happy about all the decontamination and flushing out of the water sources that aren't natural. But any groundwater? That's fucked.

Think like a shark. Those water supplies have to come through SOMEONE's trading outposts, from someone's business, from someone's caravans. The deaths of hundreds or thousands of commoners means nothing in the face of unrivaled profits AND the ability to increase your own station by cutting off your rivals' heads.

The Syndicate goes where the money goes, and right now that's in the hands of dying citizens willing to pay any price for water.