Hydaelyn Role-Players
RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. (/showthread.php?tid=2911)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - FreelanceWizard - 09-02-2013

(09-02-2013, 10:18 AM)Eva Mhirravi Wrote: So there's one pretty serious implication about the whole Nunh/Tia thing that I've never heard mentioned... okay, so if only the Nunh is allowed to breed, does that mean every other male in the tribe isn't allowed to have sex at all? So every Tia is a virgin? That doesn't seem like a very realistic prospect to me. Thoughts?

In theory, that'd be the case. In practice, there's probably "cheaters" who go around the system, homosexuality, and the like. In RL, in theory, no one who's in a standard, Western, monogamous marriage should sleep with someone outside of their marriage, but the statistics indicate otherwise. Smile There's also the possibility that non-procreative sex is okay, but since we don't know anything in lore about birth control, that's speculative at best. All we know from the lore is that the cultural norm is indeed that tia don't get to bed the females of the tribe.

Of course, since this is a fairly grey area, you have the freedom, IMO, to write it as you like for your character's backstory.

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Eva Mhirravi - 09-02-2013

(09-02-2013, 11:22 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(09-02-2013, 10:18 AM)Eva Mhirravi Wrote: So there's one pretty serious implication about the whole Nunh/Tia thing that I've never heard mentioned... okay, so if only the Nunh is allowed to breed, does that mean every other male in the tribe isn't allowed to have sex at all? So every Tia is a virgin? That doesn't seem like a very realistic prospect to me. Thoughts?

In theory, that'd be the case. In practice, there's probably "cheaters" who go around the system, homosexuality, and the like. In RL, in theory, no one who's in a standard, Western, monogamous marriage should sleep with someone outside of their marriage, but the statistics indicate otherwise. Smile There's also the possibility that non-procreative sex is okay, but since we don't know anything in lore about birth control, that's speculative at best. All we know from the lore is that the cultural norm is indeed that tia don't get to bed the females of the tribe.

Of course, since this is a fairly grey area, you have the freedom, IMO, to write it as you like for your character's backstory.

Pretty much everything about my character is screwed up since I thought Eva up (and rolled her, but rarely played) before any of the new naming and tribe lore came out (When DID that come out by the way?).

My idea now is that Eva's mother was probably in some sort of secret tryst with a Tia and ended up pregnant. The Tia would be exiled and the mother given the choice of abandoning the child or being banished as well. I'm thinking she gives up the child which is how Eva ends up in Ul'duh with no tribe prefix. As for having a surname I'm thinking despite the fact that Eva doesn't care much for cultural norms she's none too close to her father (perhaps because, though she's unwilling to admit it, she feels inadequate for being sired by an "unworthy" Tia) and thus refused to take his name. I'd imagine "Mhirravi" would just be a name she thought up that sounded pretty. I dunno.

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - FreelanceWizard - 09-02-2013

(09-02-2013, 11:42 AM)Eva Mhirravi Wrote: Pretty much everything about my character is screwed up since I thought Eva up (and rolled her, but rarely played) before any of the new naming and tribe lore came out (When DID that come out by the way?).

My idea now is that Eva's mother was probably in some sort of secret tryst with a Tia and ended up pregnant. The Tia would be exiled and the mother given the choice of abandoning the child or being banished as well. I'm thinking she gives up the child which is how Eva ends up in Ul'duh with no tribe prefix. As for having a surname I'm thinking despite the fact that Eva doesn't care much for cultural norms she's none too close to her father (perhaps because, though she's unwilling to admit it, she feels inadequate for being sired by an "unworthy" Tia) and thus refused to take his name. I'd imagine "Mhirravi" would just be a name she thought up that sounded pretty. I dunno.

To satisfy your curiosity, the naming conventions posts are from 3/12/13. Smile

I think your backstory's eminently reasonable. It explains why your character isn't keen on tribal society, why she has a non-standard name, and why she grew up in Ul'dah. It also fits with the lore. As for the last name, I think that's a great reason that can come up in RP (or be artfully dodged in RP, producing more RP as people try to pry into the truth of the matter Smile ). In a number of fantasy canons, orphans and others who don't know their surname take a name of their choice. Or, of course, you could adapt a concept from A Song of Ice and Fire and say that, for instance, that's the last name of all children who grew up in the orphanage where she did (the Mhirravi Home for Wayward Souls?) -- assuming, of course, that works with your backstory. Smile

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Sanran - 10-16-2013

There was some talk about a Linkshell for this at some point Smile, is there any known one on Balmung server?

I currently just moved to Balmung so i am just asking what is out there Smile

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Celeste - 10-16-2013

Probably mentioned, but I was curious. If each tribe only has one Nunh, what happens when two male characters of the same tribe has the last name "Nunh"

Do we have a Highlander situation going on here, or what?

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Nnejo - 10-16-2013

There have been instances where some tribes have more than one Nunh.

EDIT: Where are all the tribal Miqo women on Gilgamesh? I've seen far more "city cats" and I'm starting to get worried no one chose the tribal route save for a handful that I have seen around.

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Naunet - 10-16-2013

(10-16-2013, 10:11 AM)Qih Lyehga Wrote: There was some talk about a Linkshell for this at some point Smile, is there any known one on Balmung server?

That would be the Hipparion Tribe! Smile We've got a whole desert nomad society and culture worked up for ourselves. It's been a blast.

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - FreelanceWizard - 10-16-2013

Since a tribe is really just a large collection of groups controlling different territories, you can have more than one nunh. However, you can only have one nunh per territory. Think of "tribe" as similar to a Native American nation; the 26 tribes are more like that, consisting of many territories, each of which has one nunh, some tia, and 20 to 50 women.

To the question about the LS, Tribe of the Distant never materialized. I don't know if there's anything else similar about except the Hipparion Tribe.

(10-16-2013, 10:47 AM)Celeste Wrote: Probably mentioned, but I was curious. If each tribe only has one Nunh, what happens when two male characters of the same tribe has the last name "Nunh"

Do we have a Highlander situation going on here, or what?

The lore states that it's possible for tribes to have multiple nunhs. It's also reasonable to assume that there isn't just a single K tribe, or a single U tribe. Rather, there are numerous groups that live separately and may or may not interact with one another on a regular basis.

(10-16-2013, 12:00 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: However, you can only have one nunh per territory.

Nope!

Quote:Depending on its size, a tribe may have multiple nunh (a ratio of one nunh per ten to fifty females is average).

Source: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61150-Miqo-te-Naming-Conventions

(10-16-2013, 12:01 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 12:00 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: However, you can only have one nunh per territory.

Nope!

Quote:Depending on its size, a tribe may have multiple nunh (a ratio of one nunh per ten to fifty females is average).

Source: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61150-Miqo-te-Naming-Conventions

That link doesn't tell the whole story. Indeed, I see your lore reference and raise you two: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61260-Sunseekers-Ways-to-become-nunh-other-than-the-listed-ones?p=980471#post980471 and http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61187-Male-Sunseeker-Miqo-Surnames?p=979682#post979682

The first post indicates that it's one nunh per hunting ground (which I've loosely termed a "territory"). The second post indicates that one becomes nunh of an area by acquiring territory of their own (you can also split off to form a new tribe, per http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61187-Male-Sunseeker-Miqo-Surnames?p=979252#post979252, but that makes you an outcast).

So, per those dev post clarifications, a tribe can have multiple nunh. A territory has only one.

(10-16-2013, 12:35 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: So, per those dev post clarifications, a tribe can have multiple nunh. A territory has only one.

Urgh. This would pretty much destroy the structure we've developed for the Hipparion tribe over the past several months. Honestly I think I may just ignore/handwave it. It's vague enough... >_>

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Sanran - 10-16-2013

(10-16-2013, 11:59 AM)Naunet Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 10:11 AM)Qih Lyehga Wrote: There was some talk about a Linkshell for this at some point Smile, is there any known one on Balmung server?

That would be the Hipparion Tribe! Smile We've got a whole desert nomad society and culture worked up for ourselves. It's been a blast.

Thanks so much Smile

Also, I should have added this in my last post is there any movement of Keepers of the Moon roleplay?

Thanks in advance Chocobo

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Ildur - 10-16-2013

I wouldn't worry too much about it, Naunet. The roleplayers-made Hipparion Tribe is not different, in practical terms, from any Linkshell or Free Company: it's a user made group with a user made microcanon. As long as it doesn't contradict the metaphysics or the 'hard' facts of ARR's lore, it shouldn't really matter that it's an odd tribe as far as the lore is concerned.

RE: RPing Miqo'te Tribes. - Celeste - 10-16-2013

Show Content

(10-16-2013, 01:12 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 12:35 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: So, per those dev post clarifications, a tribe can have multiple nunh. A territory has only one.

Urgh. This would pretty much destroy the structure we've developed for the Hipparion tribe over the past several months. Honestly I think I may just ignore/handwave it. It's vague enough... >_>

Sad I would say that you can handwave it, though. As Ildur said, there's enough difference among social groups that a variance like that wouldn't be terribly strange.

I can also think of some ways to rejigger things to fit in if you want to be exacting about lore. Perhaps the tribe has a lot of territories that are very close together, and they view themselves more as one unified tribe as opposed to segregated territories? Maybe they interpret hunting grounds more loosely (for instance, covering different types of game in the same physical area)? I'm not familiar with the Hipparion Tribe's LS canon, but maybe one of those ideas helps.