Hydaelyn Role-Players
Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations (/showthread.php?tid=11112)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - Domri Blackblade - 04-15-2015

I'd be surprised if anyone here isn't RPing some kind of 'exception.' I can name a handful of very out in the open interracial couples off the top of my head and, as is my understanding, that's not a very good thing in Eorzea. I would consider an open, loving interracial couple an exception. That's just me and my perception of it.

I don't think it's inherently bad to RP exceptions. I know I'm prone to roll my eyes when I think something is a bit much of a stretch, but I try to be fair and not judge if I haven't gotten to meet them ICly.

If someone can make the story work in a way that satisfies them, great. If I personally feel that I don't wish to be a part of it, far be it from me to get in their way. People write what they like; that's really the only secret to this whole topic. They envisioned a character. They wrote the character. They started RPing the character.

The beauty of it all is if I don't like it, I don't have to deal with it.

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - Verad - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 05:43 PM)Flashhelix Wrote: I'm pretty sure that how Faye put it is quite possibly the most polite way anybody could. It's not believable. How is somebody supposed to put it? Because looking at a character concept that isn't very believable and going "That's not very believable" doesn't exactly constitute a personal attack or passive-aggressive jab at any group.

We recognize that some players have limited imaginations, and will roleplay with them regardless of their ability to believe in things.

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - Flashhelix - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 05:49 PM)Verad Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 05:43 PM)Flashhelix Wrote: I'm pretty sure that how Faye put it is quite possibly the most polite way anybody could. It's not believable. How is somebody supposed to put it? Because looking at a character concept that isn't very believable and going "That's not very believable" doesn't exactly constitute a personal attack or passive-aggressive jab at any group.

We recognize that some players have limited imaginations, and will roleplay with them regardless of their ability to believe in things.

(04-15-2015, 05:43 PM)Flashhelix Wrote: passive-aggressive jab

[Image: 10664059-Happy-Young-Hispanic-School-Boy...-Photo.jpg]

you nailed it!

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - Verad - 04-15-2015

Well, I can't claim all the credit. I was given some excellent models in the thread. Standing on the shoulders of giants and so-forth.

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - Harmonixer - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 05:03 PM)Ette Wrote: I mean once more for me it just boils down to: Who cares?

While I stick closer to lore in this setting there ARE things that are plausible if not rare and I’ve taken interest in inside other settings. Like. . . I don’t roleplay  to impress people with how staggeringly lore friendly my characters are. I roleplay to have fun. So if I have to choose between something that gets me excited to write about and something I enjoy or appeasing internet strangers who I wouldn’t have played with anyway I’m just. . . Gonna choose the former?

And as someone who isn’t playing anything too lore bendy at the moment I would much rather play with say, a Roegadyn dragoon than someone who is playing an Elezen archer if the former is more fun and engaging.

TL;DR
“Because it’s fun.” I say as I shrug a whole lot.

You know, there was a ton of posts in this thread that I found myself agreeing upon. Others, had me frowning a little because I didn't quite agree, but I respected it all the same.

Then I read this one and said: "I should prolly hang out with this person." The offer is extended! I did it!

Moving on to the topic. Ish.

I think I mentioned before, but I can vouch for OP. I'll be the first to admit a few times I came across things they said and thought that this was likely someone I should be careful around because 'shit, they might judge me', and 'maybe i should avoid this person'. Having numerous encounters with several people that share the same opinions of OP, not a single one of them has been a dick to me. In fact, the only people to outright be rude to me, very likely have no clue they were simply because they have their heads too far up their own asses. The opinions aren't the problem, it's the people.

There is some legitimately nice people around here, much to my surprise. Helpful and nice at most times. I haven't been snubbed for wanting to RP with someone. It's never been an 'this is our circle of clearly lore-centric only people' and even when I watched someone try to bring their SUPER CATGIRL SNOWFLAKE into the fray, not one of those people were rude about it. They even tried to help them justify it! Spending quite a bit of time trying to figure out ways for it to work, ways to make it fit in with the lore and how strange, the person in question only saw it as an attack!

It was a shame, really. None of them said 'you can't rp with me' or 'i won't rp with you'. I'm sure they won't go out of their way to RP with them, but they definitely didn't make it hostile.

I wrote this whole section about half breeds, but I deleted it on second thought. Anyway, use your brains people. I'll repeat myself again:

"It's always about presentation." One hundred percent.

Are you a dead guy who lost his girlfriend or are you a shambling corpse that was denied eternal rest because of unfinished business?

Are you a rich pretty gal noble or are you a incredibly narcissistic well-off lady with daddy issues and a habit of cuttin' your 'enemies'

Are you a catboy ninja or a... eh, someone will figure the rest of that out.

It is, exactly what you make it. Learns to present things well.

disclaimer: don't take my examples are gospel, i don't hate catspeeps, i don't hate anyone. The singularity is coming anyway, you're all fucked.

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - Faye - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 05:40 PM)Tiergan Wrote:
(04-15-2015, 05:26 PM)Faye Wrote: <snip because super long>

Faye, I heart you, but I have to admit that when I read "Ultimately it's just folks choosing self-gratification over believability which as the OP stated isn't inherently bad and doesn't mean I won't RP with anyone, I just may not always think it's the best decision, so I try to shy away from it myself." it was a little off-putting.

You may not have meant it that way, but for those of us that are being labeled as 'inauthentic' because we're not playing Isghardian Elezen or Ala Mhigan Highlanders, it sort of reads like:

"Ultimately, these people want to make characters that please themselves over making characters that are believable and lore-abiding. I'm not saying this is inherently bad or anything and I'll still RP with someone whose character is more about satisfying the player's wants over being a realistic character -- I just don't think it's a good idea."

If that's how you actually feel, that's okay. But I also don't think it's unreasonable to expect people might be sore about how they were labeled.

Maybe it's worthwhile to say I don't think self-gratification is a bad thing. In the end that's why we all RP, even why we all chat and debate here on the RPC. This is how we spend our time, it's for our own enjoyment. "Self-gratification" was probably not the best term in retrospect given the negative connotation. But I don't believe there's anything wrong with choosing a character you want to play over the lore or anything else. I'm certainly no lore nazi myself--while I try to never "break" it I do frequently "bend," and while it may not be my own practice, if someone wants to RP even something as extreme as a Garlean Miqo'te princess who can shoot lazer beams, screw the lore and let 'em if that's what they have fun with! We're here to have fun, and how lore fits into that "fun" is different for every individual.

I also don't believe playing an exception, say a Miqo'te dragoon, is "inauthentic"--it just can be a bit harder to accept and need some extra reasoning behind it to explain it away if it's going to make sense given the game's lore. It's certainly not lore-breaking or "wrong," just harder to believe at face value without full context given.

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - Flashhelix - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 05:54 PM)Verad Wrote: Well, I can't claim all the credit. I was given some excellent models in the thread. Standing on the shoulders of giants and so-forth.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, really

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-15-2015

I want to bring back Natalie Mcbeef from the dead just so I can have people be mad at me for Lore things again.

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - ChewableMorphine - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 07:50 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: I think the reason that catdrg gets so much scrutiny is because we know that Ishgard is xenophobic as fuck, and that Dragoons are a symbol of their nation's might.

In-game description Wrote:Of all the things that are symbolic of the nation of Ishgard, few are more recognized than the dragoon.

Hm. This is gonna get reeeaaal awkward as I show my lack of world culture.

Real-world France has a reputation for being similarly xenophobic. Preliminary glances at wikipedia of all places gives us this link detailing an "award" given out to prominent French folks who embrace - gasp! - the English language. It's similar to the Razzie Awards, only instead of being fun at the sake of bad movies, it's mocking someone for not being French enough. It has been brought to my attention, however, that this is far from the prevailing national attitude and is probably not the best example.

Similarly, this link discusses how internally, France is also phobic against itself; speaking a dialect or language other than French in school is grounds for punishment.

It's not too far-fetched to think that Ishgard would be as accepting to "lesser races" as the French are to fat, cheeseburger eating Americans butchering their language.

And then letting that guy join their special forces.

Do I wanna pull the eugenics card and make allusions to WW2 SS operatives or let the shitstorm do it's own thing.

Ishgard is so bad that Garlemald accepts more immigrants into their special ops, going as far to making one a Legatus, Rhitatyn Sas Arvina.

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - Val - 04-15-2015

Have we, at any point, considered the possibility that SE said screw the lore and threw a bunch of races in a faction for the sake of variety?

Not trying to make any direct claims or anything. Just.. you know. Throwing it out there.

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - Faye - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 05:54 PM)Harmonixer Wrote: I think I mentioned before, but I can vouch for OP. I'll be the first to admit a few times I came across things they said and thought that this was likely someone I should be careful around because 'shit, they might judge me', and 'maybe i should avoid this person'. Having numerous encounters with several people that share the same opinions of OP, not a single one of them has been a dick to me. In fact, the only people to outright be rude to me, very likely have no clue they were simply because they have their heads too far up their own asses. The opinions aren't the problem, it's the people.

There is some legitimately nice people around here, much to my surprise. Helpful and nice at most times. I haven't been snubbed for wanting to RP with someone. It's never been an 'this is our circle of clearly lore-centric only people' and even when I watched someone try to bring their SUPER CATGIRL SNOWFLAKE into the fray, not one of those people were rude about it. They even tried to help them justify it! Spending quite a bit of time trying to figure out ways for it to work, ways to make it fit in with the lore and how strange, the person in question only saw it as an attack!

I think this post is really important. We forget that people can have different opinions and still be friends, still be kind, still respect each other, still RP together. "I don't agree with you" does not mean "I hate you."

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - Domri Blackblade - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 06:01 PM)Val Wrote: Have we, at any point, considered the possibility that SE said screw the lore and threw a bunch of races in a faction for the sake of variety?

Not trying to make any direct claims or anything. Just.. you know. Throwing it out there.

... Huh?

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - Chris Ganale - 04-15-2015

He's saying that there's the possibility that we're thinking about lore three or four times harder than SE did, and that they just set races to groups because they thought it looked good at the time.

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - V'aleera - 04-15-2015

Qualify "believable". Not "likely". Not "normal". "Believable". Define exactly what that term means in the context of roleplay in a fantasy setting.

RE: Reasoning for irregular race/nationality combinations - Val - 04-15-2015

(04-15-2015, 06:03 PM)Chris Ganale Wrote: He's saying that there's the possibility that we're thinking about lore three or four times harder than SE did, and that they just set races to groups because they thought it looked good at the time.

Pretty much this.