Hydaelyn Role-Players
*sighs at Queues as DPS* - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: *sighs at Queues as DPS* (/showthread.php?tid=4438)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Oroban - 09-16-2013

(09-16-2013, 05:07 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Dunno what your times are, Kerr and Oroban, but I'd be happy to help you out tonight after my WoW raid.

Tanking gets a lot better at the higher levels.
I'll be around pretty much til...5am or so, haha. Once you're around I might try my hand at Halitali, since I'm getting tired of Copperbell and lower...time to move on up!

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Kerr - 09-16-2013

(09-16-2013, 05:07 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Dunno what your times are, Kerr and Oroban, but I'd be happy to help you out tonight after my WoW raid.

Tanking gets a lot better at the higher levels.

The weekends for me. I'll be around all day this Friday and Saturday. Getting Defiance at level 30 has been a huge help. The mob I'm hitting never looks away from me, so it's only the occasional heal aggro from adds that's a problem for me. The real issue is other players, mos of the time. I had a sunken temple run recently (my first time) where the DDs were so horrible to me that I almost seriously put down my axe for good. When they rage quit when we couldn't make it past the first boss, I was honestly grateful. And a few hours of fishing and plg leveling later, I was back to grinding fates. Is the level 41 dungeon any more forgiving?

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - LeCard - 09-17-2013

(09-16-2013, 05:01 PM)Oroban Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 04:58 PM)Kerr Wrote: Lately, I've been getting a little discouraged as a tank. I love the class and I love to help people, but I think there comes a time when everyone needs to step back from abuse or frustration and take a break. That's why my fisher is at level 32 right now. Heh. Anyway, what I wanted to say was: I know I'm not the best tank ever, but I can learn. Most people want to be good at their class/job; to be valued. Be kind to your tanks, advise them when you can. Most will listen. 

And if they don't, you can poke me to help you. I'm probably just fishing. Big Grin Level 37 and climbing.
I know what you mean, I've only been a tank for a few days and it's burning me out already. Run a copperbell party, tell the new people about the bosses, and an archer (of course it's an archer.) at the last boss decides; "Ignoring the adds and focusing on the boss the entire fight is the better plan, you must be new or something." We proceed to barely win the fight, with about 6-7 extra giants in the room with us at that point, mind you. His comment then? "That fight took too long, you guys should do more damage."
since i'm seeing this fight being discussed I thought I'd bring up an interesting strategy a group of mine used. Pull the boss to where the second set of adds come in. Let the tank pull everythings hate and DPS spams AoE (works best if you have THM). The adds drop like flys and your still focussing dmg on the boss. also, as an added bonus, when the limit break is ready everyone is in one spot, meteor it up and watch things drop.

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Oroban - 09-17-2013

(09-17-2013, 12:59 AM)LeCard Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 05:01 PM)Oroban Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 04:58 PM)Kerr Wrote: Lately, I've been getting a little discouraged as a tank. I love the class and I love to help people, but I think there comes a time when everyone needs to step back from abuse or frustration and take a break. That's why my fisher is at level 32 right now. Heh. Anyway, what I wanted to say was: I know I'm not the best tank ever, but I can learn. Most people want to be good at their class/job; to be valued. Be kind to your tanks, advise them when you can. Most will listen. 

And if they don't, you can poke me to help you. I'm probably just fishing. Big Grin Level 37 and climbing.
I know what you mean, I've only been a tank for a few days and it's burning me out already. Run a copperbell party, tell the new people about the bosses, and an archer (of course it's an archer.) at the last boss decides; "Ignoring the adds and focusing on the boss the entire fight is the better plan, you must be new or something." We proceed to barely win the fight, with about 6-7 extra giants in the room with us at that point, mind you. His comment then? "That fight took too long, you guys should do more damage."
since i'm seeing this fight being discussed I thought I'd bring up an interesting strategy a group of mine used. Pull the boss to where the second set of adds come in. Let the tank pull everythings hate and DPS spams AoE (works best if you have THM). The adds drop like flys and your still focussing dmg on the boss. also, as an added bonus, when the limit break is ready everyone is in one spot, meteor it up and watch things drop.
Yep, that's what I'd been doing is dragging him to the second boulder to let the DPS AoE. But tonight I moved onto Halatali, and the joy of teammates who refuse to kill the fire wisps and thus get us all incinerated. Joy! Laugh

(09-17-2013, 01:03 AM)Oroban Wrote: Yep, that's what I'd been doing is dragging him to the second boulder to let the DPS AoE. But tonight I moved onto Halatali, and the joy of teammates who refuse to kill the fire wisps and thus get us all incinerated. Joy! Laugh
hehe, I did that tonight on my alt(MRD) why do the DPS insist on charging ahead to their doom? I try to set things up with markers for a nice clear order of when things die, and some DPS jumps the gun and gets all the mobs locked on them... This isn't XI where the archer pulls and then the tank steals the hate easily. nope in XIV who ever hits it first is GOING to take damage, and a decent amount too. I end up spamming my AoE just to get things attention, and that's not cheep on the TP cost.

I've had a couple good parties that let me do my job and tank, but those are too far and few between. It is quite draining to have to tell the party what to do the entire way because no one knows how to not attack the mob that is happily wailing on me, but is marked number 3 and we are still killing number 1... I feel so sorry for tanks after playing my first few trips of halatali and toto-rak as a tank.(is it really worth the instant que times?)

(09-17-2013, 01:18 AM)LeCard Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 01:03 AM)Oroban Wrote: Yep, that's what I'd been doing is dragging him to the second boulder to let the DPS AoE. But tonight I moved onto Halatali, and the joy of teammates who refuse to kill the fire wisps and thus get us all incinerated. Joy! Laugh
hehe, I did that tonight on my alt(MRD) why do the DPS insist on charging ahead to their doom? I try to set things up with markers for a nice clear order of when things die, and some DPS jumps the gun and gets all the mobs locked on them... This isn't XI where the archer pulls and then the tank steals the hate easily. nope in XIV who ever hits it first is GOING to take damage, and a decent amount too. I end up spamming my AoE just to get things attention, and that's not cheep on the TP cost.

I've had a couple good parties that let me do my job and tank, but those are too far and few between. It is quite draining to have to tell the party what to do the entire way because no one knows how to not attack the mob that is happily wailing on me, but is marked number 3 and we are still killing number 1... I feel so sorry for tanks after playing my first few trips of halatali and toto-rak as a tank.(is it really worth the instant que times?)
We did fine up until the last boss of it, where the arcanist and thaumaturge completely ignored the dalaalalalala whatever and the noxious, whereupon the small explosions added up and killed the Thaum. Not to mention the bigheaded healer who thought he should run around in front, open chests in the middle of fights, and constantly cast aero on every enemy no matter what. It's like running a preschool class.

(09-17-2013, 01:21 AM)Oroban Wrote: It's like running a preschool class.
^ that [Image: frustrated.gif][Image: frustrated.gif][Image: frustrated.gif][Image: frustrated.gif][Image: dazed.gif]

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - LiadansWhisper - 09-17-2013

If you focus those adds down and then turn immediately back to the boss, you have plenty of time to kill adds and get the boss down.  I've done it on a number of occasions.  Bad DPS are bad.

(09-17-2013, 01:53 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: If you focus those adds down and then turn immediately back to the boss, you have plenty of time to kill adds and get the boss down.  I've done it on a number of occasions.  Bad DPS are bad.
Yeah, when I played it as DPS, I had no problem running around and killing them on my pugilist. The two DPS I had literally didn't care, even though I made sure to stop them outside the room and explain the stages. The best part was the jerky healer kept screaming at them and I just...phoned it in at that point.

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Trigonxv - 09-17-2013

wow reading all this despite queue times makes me feel like a godly dps since I always go after adds in every boss fight and follow my marks accordingly and if no marks I usually attack the monster the tank is not attacking

(09-17-2013, 02:13 AM)Trigonxv Wrote: wow reading all this despite queue times makes me feel like a godly dps since I always go after adds in every boss fight and follow my marks accordingly and if no marks I usually attack the monster the tank is not attacking
Wait, is that how DPS see it? "If the tank doesn't take the time to mark everything, I'll just go after something he's not keeping the attention of?" Because sometimes I either forget to mark, or I have DPS that like to initiate if I take the time to do it. Running around is never fun.

(09-17-2013, 02:13 AM)Trigonxv Wrote: wow reading all this despite queue times makes me feel like a godly dps since I always go after adds in every boss fight and follow my marks accordingly and if no marks I usually attack the monster the tank is not attacking

You want to always attack whatever the tank is attacking.  If you don't, you'll almost certainly pull threat.  Then, because the healer is healing you AND the tank at the same time, the healer will soon out-threat you and end up tanking.

(09-17-2013, 02:19 AM)Oroban Wrote:
Wait, is that how DPS see it? "If the tank doesn't take the time to mark everything, I'll just go after something he's not keeping the attention of?" Because sometimes I either forget to mark, or I have DPS that like to initiate if I take the time to do it. Running around is never fun.
hmm u may be misinterpreting what I am saying I am talking about after the tank has pulled and aggro the mobile usually attack what it does not target, and as for marking I am saying for the most part people get what to do but when marks go down I make sure for follow them

(09-17-2013, 02:21 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:

You want to always attack whatever the tank is attacking.  If you don't, you'll almost certainly pull threat.  Then, because the healer is healing you AND the tank at the same time, the healer will soon out-threat you and end up tanking.
also whenever I do its never an issue I I make sure to watch my damage output

(09-17-2013, 02:28 AM)Trigonxv Wrote: also whenever I do its never an issue I I make sure to watch my damage output

It's just easier on the tank - especially at low levels - if you stick with his target.  Tanks are playing with half (if that) of their toolset, and they don't get really good snap-threat until about level 40.

(09-17-2013, 03:44 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 02:28 AM)Trigonxv Wrote: also whenever I do its never an issue I I make sure to watch my damage output

It's just easier on the tank - especially at low levels - if you stick with his target.  Tanks are playing with half (if that) of their toolset, and they don't get really good snap-threat until about level 40.
yeah my post was for more 40 and up if I see tank in trouble I spam  some slow and  to alleviate some damage done