Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? (/showthread.php?tid=9827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Gegenji - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:25 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:19 PM)Kage Wrote: I wish to re-name this: Racial RP Doing it Right or Wrong. Tongue

.... Have there ever been any instance in the game of Miqo'te NPCs even actually acting other than "man with extra appendages, possibly better smell etc"?

I mean, I certainly don't see the Miqo'te in the Shroud or those in the U tribe acting... "feral"? Uncivilized in western culture I guess is the best way I can put it. Yes, we haven't seen any evidence to say there aren't, but have there been instances where the Miqo'te act anything other than a man with tails and cat ears? Cultural norms aside of the Nunh etc.

because these species were developed to be flavor and not as in depth setting that others could use to reproduce for the purpose of in depth characterization.  As many nice things as rpers get in this game, actual realistic culture/behavior is definitely not one of them.

So the only thing to do to truly separate from the other human split offs is the little flavor bits of biology.

I'm wondering if it could go too far into the other direction, though. There's something to be said about not having every little nuanced detail of one's culture spelled out for them so that the player can have some freedom with how their particular tribe acts or what have you.

Yes, creativity can thrive under constraints, but it can just as easily be stifled.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Berrod Armstrong - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:27 PM)Kinono Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:22 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:20 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:11 PM)K Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:03 PM)N Wrote: When is someone deemed a tribal Miqo'te character and when a Miqo'te gutterslut?

A lot of people have the wrong idea about them in general so if you even show hints of promiscuity then you're going to get slapped by the judgemental hand of Lord Stereotype.
I find this a good question. For example -- up until recent developments I played Berrod as a very sexually charged character. He sometimes went out of his way to display his attractiveness, down to the sort of clothes he wore. He had zero problem calling lewdly to women in public, and would often strut about with a blatant "You definitely wanna fuck me" attitude. Yet -- he never got the reputation of being a gutterslut. Was it because Highlanders don't have the same sort of societal construct as Miqo'te? I could never figure it out.

Well, if a MIQO'TE does it, it's being slutty. If a Manlander does it, it's just RPing. Obviously we're suffering from fantasy racism. Rolleyes

And if a lalafell does it, a black van shows up in my dri-
[Image: original.jpg]

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Zhavi - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:27 PM)Kage Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:25 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:19 PM)Kage Wrote: I wish to re-name this: Racial RP Doing it Right or Wrong. Tongue

.... Have there ever been any instance in the game of Miqo'te NPCs even actually acting other than "man with extra appendages, possibly better smell etc"?

I mean, I certainly don't see the Miqo'te in the Shroud or those in the U tribe acting... "feral"? Uncivilized in western culture I guess is the best way I can put it. Yes, we haven't seen any evidence to say there aren't, but have there been instances where the Miqo'te act anything other than a man with tails and cat ears? Cultural norms aside of the Nunh etc.

because these species were developed to be flavor and not as in depth setting that others could use to reproduce for the purpose of in depth characterization.  As many nice things as rpers get in this game, actual realistic culture/behavior is definitely not one of them.

So the only thing to do to truly separate from the other human split offs is the little flavor bits of biology.
Zhavi I love you but I think something got cut off or my brain is dying.

So there... isn't really?

Realistic, not reality Tongue

Cultural development and behavioral norms are very shallow in this game. No reason for them to not be, because they're flavor. But it still irritates me. In short, every species in this game is mostly derived from various human cultures, and therefore there's no reason to limit yourself to any "lore" regarding culture so long as you make it make sense with the character's backstory, because there's almost none of it to begin with. The only big differences are the biological ones, and most of those aren't in depth enough to really drive cultural behavior. At least in my opinion. My grumpy opinion. : x

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Warren Castille - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:31 PM)Zhavi Wrote: My grumpy opinion. : x

Pish posh, roleplaying is built, dare I say thrives on these sorts of things.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Kage - 01-28-2015

Well more like if a Lalafell does it, whoever they do it with gets a black van and guys in black suits... I mean.

I think part of why non-Miqo'te don't get the 'slutshaming' is maybe in part, a type of racial confirmation bias. That and who would talk like that to Berrod? I'm sure some(one) may be intimidated to not ever say a thing!

I'm now curious. On a different note.

.... why do lots of FemRoes lean towards Bisexuality or Lesbianism? Not to say it's wrong etc. But I've seen quite a few FemRoes who are more non-hetero than... hetero. xD

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Zhavi - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:33 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:31 PM)Zhavi Wrote: My grumpy opinion. : x

Pish posh, roleplaying is built, dare I say thrives on these sorts of things.

It allows for more freedom, yar. Agreed. But then it doesn't make sense to say 'you shouldn't do that because it goes against established cultural norms' when the established cultural norms are more shallow than a raindrop and really probably doesn't make that much sense when you peel back the outer layers.

RAH RAH RABBLE RABBLE

EVERYONE REBEL!

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Gegenji - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:33 PM)Kage Wrote: .... why do lots of FemRoes lean towards Bisexuality or Lesbianism? Not to say it's wrong etc. But I've seen quite a few FemRoes who are more non-hetero than... hetero. xD

I don't think it's just FemRoes. I've seen quite a bit of GLBT disposition across almost all the races.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Warren Castille - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:39 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:33 PM)Kage Wrote: .... why do lots of FemRoes lean towards Bisexuality or Lesbianism? Not to say it's wrong etc. But I've seen quite a few FemRoes who are more non-hetero than... hetero. xD

I don't think it's just FemRoes. I've seen quite a bit of GLBT disposition across almost all the races.

Can confirm. There've been more than a few nights where the Grindstone turns into a Taco Bell after the first elimination round.

I AM NOT ASHAMED OF THAT SENTENCE AT ALL.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Kinono - 01-28-2015

I'm definitely guilty of this, and I have nothing to point to to say Kino should or shouldn't be totally okay with it (barring bringing up modernity) other than the fact that that one shopkeeper lady was totally okay with announcing to passing strangers she was marrying another lady.

But yeah, I dunno. Kinono is totally okay with it.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Kage - 01-28-2015

It's just been in my experience watching/reading/interacting/etc that FemRoes were more of the Bisexual/Lesbianism.

Lots of Catboy loving. Also Hyur.

I was just curious because the majority of femroes I have met were Bisexual or Lesbian so I was wondering if it was something in the game, their characteristics, or player-made/choice.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Berrod Armstrong - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:40 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Can confirm. There've been more than a few nights where the Grindstone turns into a Taco Bell after the first elimination round.

I AM NOT ASHAMED OF THAT SENTENCE AT ALL.
Female roes as played by thirsty males: A realm reborn.
Sounds mean, but it's a big possibility! Lovely Roe ladies with other lovely Roe ladies...
 /collartug
what...was the question again?
...and when does Balmung open...?

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Flickering Ember - 01-28-2015

Hm. In the thread this conversation originated from, I thought we were talking miqo'te literally being Rped as hyur wearing ear and tail accessories. Now I wonder if Alothia thought I meant city miqo'te/non-tribal miqo'te. But I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Didn't we establish in one of the threads that city miqo'te are more common than tribal miqo'te? Eh, I can't keep up with it all.

The core of this discussion, I feel, goes back to craving a variety of stories and characters, not unreasonable. But we can't control what other people play, as much as we try to find that variety. There is little to be done other than being the change you want to see and choosing who you surround yourself with. We can't look down on people for doing something that seems overdone. They are having fun the way they want to.

And yeah, I certainly think a non-tribal fits the lore of Eorzea well.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Alothia - 01-28-2015

//magicadminhat

Look, I see this thread getting off topic talking about people RPing futas and whatnot. I'd like to ask that if you're not going to talk about the main topic, and you're not going to do it in a respectful manner, that you don't talk at all. 

There is no need to call anyone out for anything. You don't like the way they do something, that's fine. You don't need to put them out here for everyone to see. Let's keep it respectful please.

//friendlyreminder

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Alothia - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:50 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote: Hm. In the thread this conversation originated from, I thought we were talking miqo'te literally being Rped as hyur wearing ear and tail accessories. Now I wonder if Alothia thought I meant city miqo'te/non-tribal miqo'te. But I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Didn't we establish in one of the threads that city miqo'te are more common than tribal miqo'te? Eh, I can't keep up with it all.

The core of this discussion, I feel, goes back to craving a variety of stories and characters, not unreasonable. But we can't control what other people play, as much as we try to find that variety. There is little to be done other than being the change you want to see and choosing who you surround yourself with. We can't look down on people for doing something that seems overdone. They are having fun the way they want to.

And yeah, I certainly think a non-tribal fits the lore of Eorzea well.

Oh, I was never taking the conversation as people playing Miqo's as LITERALLY hyur wearing ears and tails. That would be...odd.

Twelve, I hope I never run into someone who actually does that.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Telluride - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:46 PM)Kage Wrote: It's just been in my experience watching/reading/interacting/etc that FemRoes were more of the Bisexual/Lesbianism.

Lots of Catboy loving. Also Hyur.

I was just curious because the majority of femroes I have met were Bisexual or Lesbian so I was wondering if it was something in the game, their characteristics, or player-made/choice.

Playing a character who isn't afraid to try to flirt with Femroes... a lot... I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's largely player choice.

Now, I HAVE seen NPC Femroes with those suggested tendencies (at the Aleport docks and Missing Member, for example), but I've seen just as many, if not more, Female Roe NPCs expressing their interest in the males of their kind, too.

If there is something more to it than just what a player chooses, I'd be keen to know, and really, that goes for people playing female Miqo'te in much the same way, which is also apparently common, though it may have a little more credence, considering the tight sexual competition in Sun Seeker lore.