Hydaelyn Role-Players
RPC Race Demographic Poll - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RPC Race Demographic Poll (/showthread.php?tid=12348)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - M'isha - 07-02-2015

I spent my first month trying out so many races from Roe to Lala and back to Miqo'te again. I only haven't tried Au Ra because I don't own HW yet.
For me it came to the charming way the developers have given life to miqo'te. The characterization of their tails and ears is so wonderful simply in terms of  character animation. All of the races have great individuality I learned, but I could not forget the balance of cuteness and feistiness of miqo'te. I see many Au Ra lately, far more than miqo'te--this poll surprised me! I wish I saw more Elezen, personally. I think the culture is well-developed just like the Elvaan of FFXI.

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - Sylentmana - 07-02-2015

(07-02-2015, 08:35 AM)M Wrote: I spent my first month trying out so many races from Roe to Lala and back to Miqo'te again. I only haven't tried Au Ra because I don't own HW yet.
For me it came to the charming way the developers have given life to miqo'te. The characterization of their tails and ears is so wonderful simply in terms of  character animation. All of the races have great individuality I learned, but I could not forget the balance of cuteness and feistiness of miqo'te. I see many Au Ra lately, far more than miqo'te--this poll surprised me! I wish I saw more Elezen, personally. I think the culture is well-developed just like the Elvaan of FFXI.
It seems, when you get down to basics, people just love characters with tails.Laugh

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - Caspar - 07-02-2015

(07-01-2015, 09:35 PM)Misuzu Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 04:41 PM)Caspar Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 04:07 PM)Lilia Lia Wrote: Results are surprising so far.

Lots of Au Ra, actually less than I was expecting really, but also less Miqo'te.  I imagine a lot of Miqo'te changed into Au Ra compared to the other races.

So few Lalafell.  I'm not sure what to make of this actually, since outside the RPC I think they were the third most popular race pre-Au Ra.  Maybe some Lalafell were sipping Fantasia too?  But that seems like more of a stretch and I can only think of one I know who did that and she's probably not in this thread.
It's cause we are in short supply. But more seriously, I figure many cant take us seriously because of our tiny size.

I bet our numbers would double if the boob slider actually did something. Pathetic, but true.
That's also true, sadly. One of the things you give up when you play Lala, and probably a big part of why it's not a very popular race.

I picked Lala because it gives a character's heroic accomplishments more impact visually if they're far smaller than their enemies. I also picked Lala because even if they're supposedly taken as seriously as adults of other races in setting, they still resemble children to players. I figure some players will feel protective of the fat popoto bebehs, and experience more sympathy when they suffer hardships.

So it goes both ways. I want to exploit the disconnect between the stereotypical cute Lala who is glib and sociable, and show just how "wrong" feeling Virara is, and how that might induce some unease or even fear. At the same time, while wanting her taken seriously, I guess I also end up exploiting the fact that Lalas often aren't. It's a good and bad thing, I reckon.

And of course no race can beat us in cuteness.

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - Gegenji - 07-02-2015

(07-02-2015, 10:17 AM)Caspar Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 09:35 PM)Misuzu Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 04:41 PM)Caspar Wrote:
(07-01-2015, 04:07 PM)Lilia Lia Wrote: Results are surprising so far.

Lots of Au Ra, actually less than I was expecting really, but also less Miqo'te.  I imagine a lot of Miqo'te changed into Au Ra compared to the other races.

So few Lalafell.  I'm not sure what to make of this actually, since outside the RPC I think they were the third most popular race pre-Au Ra.  Maybe some Lalafell were sipping Fantasia too?  But that seems like more of a stretch and I can only think of one I know who did that and she's probably not in this thread.
It's cause we are in short supply. But more seriously, I figure many cant take us seriously because of our tiny size.

I bet our numbers would double if the boob slider actually did something. Pathetic, but true.
That's also true, sadly. One of the things you give up when you play Lala, and probably a big part of why it's not a very popular race.

I picked Lala because it gives a character's heroic accomplishments more impact visually if they're far smaller than their enemies. I also picked Lala because even if they're supposedly taken as seriously as adults of other races in setting, they still resemble children to players. I figure some players will feel protective of the fat popoto bebehs, and experience more sympathy when they suffer hardships.

So it goes both ways. I want to exploit the disconnect between the stereotypical cute Lala who is glib and sociable, and show just how "wrong" feeling Virara is, and how that might induce some unease or even fear. At the same time, while wanting her taken seriously, I guess I also end up exploiting the fact that Lalas often aren't. It's a good and bad thing, I reckon.

And of course no race can beat us in cuteness.

You know there'd be a ton of max-slidered Lalagirls running around if that was a thing. I'd just be happy if I could put some muscle on my popoto rather than having to imply it all the time. Laugh

But yeah, the size difference between hero and villain is a fun one for me too. Which is why my Warrior and DK in WoW were both Gnomes. After seeing a Gnome Warrior tank Onyxia, I was hooked on the idea. Something the size of her claw just sitting there taking her hits like it ain't no thang.

Heroic dissonance in general is something I like a lot. Fat superheroes, tiny tanks, past-their-prime protagonists. There's something innately entertaining to me about seeing someone who doesn't look at all suited to the role they're in. Whether it be on purpose or chance of fate.

Being adorable helps a lot too, I really enjoy all the cutesy stuff you can do as a Lala. Like leghugs. Blush

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - Flickering Ember - 07-02-2015

(07-02-2015, 10:30 AM)Gegenji Wrote: Being adorable helps a lot too, I really enjoy all the cutesy stuff you can do as a Lala. Like leghugs. Blush

And it is adorable to RP with too!

Ember just wants to be with her lalafell friends!

[Image: iStock_000017639921XSmall.jpg]

And snuggle with them.

[Image: 4293371248_4e58ff7d7b_z.jpg?zz=1]

I always imagine her looking kinda sad when she is just standing next to them but much happier when she is plopped down closer to them.

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - Gegenji - 07-02-2015

(07-02-2015, 11:21 AM)Flickering Ember Wrote:
(07-02-2015, 10:30 AM)Gegenji Wrote: Being adorable helps a lot too, I really enjoy all the cutesy stuff you can do as a Lala. Like leghugs. Blush

And snuggle with them.

I always imagine her looking kinda sad when she is just standing next to them but much happier when she is plopped down closer to them.

I have found pictures of Ember and Chachan.

[Image: dog_and_rabbit-normal.jpg]

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - -no longer matters- - 07-02-2015

(07-02-2015, 11:21 AM)Flickering Ember Wrote:

And snuggle with them.

Yeah I love seeing Lalafell's around and interacting with them. I really adore the relationship between Raubahn and Nanamo and Biggs and Wedge in game! I'd love to find myself a little Lalafell RP buddy for War Siren!

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - Milloux - 07-02-2015

I currently main a Wildwood, but really want to jump in to playing my Sea Wolf roe a bit more  -- probably will once I level her a bit... and get over being so shy about walk-up RP!

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - Jana - 07-02-2015

(07-02-2015, 10:30 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(07-02-2015, 10:17 AM)Caspar Wrote: And of course no race can beat us in cuteness.
...I'd just be happy if I could put some muscle on my popoto rather than having to imply it all the time. Laugh

No race is cuter than Lala, and I say that as a Miqo'te main. To the point where I Fantasia'd OOCly into a Lala for a little while, and liked it so much I made an alt using the same sliders to run around and be cute with. I played an Elin Slayer (hugesword DPS class) on Tera, and eventually all of the big weapon classes, because I also like the size dissonance in that sense.

also muscle sliders for everybody when SE?????

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - Zyrusticae - 07-02-2015

Not gonna lie - if Lalas were less... popoto-like, as in actually having something resembling real anatomy, I would have rolled one. As it stands, I would have been much happier with something in-between Miqo'te and Lalafell but no such option exists, so here we are.

I have the opposite problem with the boob slider, btw - it doesn't go small enough on non-Lala races. It's not even close to flat, which is where the REAL minimum of the slider always aught to be. I will forever be shaking my fist in the general direction of developers that continuously fail to provide in this regard.

Miqo'te kids, amusingly enough, are much closer to what I would have liked from Lalafell:

[Image: cDXbU5o.jpg]
[Image: eG4mZcg.jpg]

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-02-2015

[[steps in as a mod]]

Please try to stay on-topic everyone.

This thread is not about the character creator options. It's about why you picked the race[s] you RP with.

[[steps out]]

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - DoomsdayClock - 07-02-2015

Why choose when I can just be anything? ::shuffles deck of persona :: Cool

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-02-2015

[Image: oucVmaV.png]

...yet I only play as Franz. The rest were just little one-off character creator funtimes. ...although Unnamed Mercenary has seen parts of the world. ...before I adjusted my main to be Franz.

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - cuideag - 07-03-2015

When I rolled a character in beta, she was a kinda foxy Roegadyn lady. I wasn't feeling it, though. Come early access, I ended up rolling a lalafell and I have enjoyed it ever since. It was mostly a very shallow aesthetic choice - I though it would be rad playing a tiny popoto that beats the snot out of big giant things. I wasn't wrong. Everything else kind of fell into place after that. Seeing so many different reactions to lalafell IC has been pretty fun, too.

Ended up rolling a Highlander alt a while after. Almost went Roegadyn again but I couldn't work out a face that looked angry enough for my liking, so she ended up a sufficiently onery Highlander and has been giving people nasty looks ever since.

RE: RPC Race Demographic Poll - Clover - 07-03-2015

Hyur forever.
I'm also active on two Au Ra alts, but I didn't pick them because I have many alts anyway.