Hydaelyn Role-Players
Racial RP: How do YOU do it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Racial RP: How do YOU do it? (/showthread.php?tid=9827)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Miqo'te RP: You're doing it wrong - N'velhi Tia - 01-28-2015

I personally created my two Miqo'te because the tribal way of living interested me. My current main, N'velhi could be deemed a savage by Ul'dah, lacking proper mannerisms (walks about on all fours on occasion, urinates in public, has no problem with public nudity nor does he understand why others do etc.) and I thoroughly love RPing him.

Problem is, like most Tias, he strives to be Nunh, unlikely to happen given his manners, but works dilligently on getting himself a tribe. Now, this crass Tia often makes crude remarks to females; doesn't respect them until they've proven to be capable huntresses. He wants to build relationships with females, start his own polyamorous tribe and become Nunh. For this reason I've not roleplayed him in public, mainly due to me probably being labeled another guy in it for the ERP (really, I'm more than happy to fade to black during sexy times). And, honestly, I'm at a loss on how to fix that.

When is someone deemed a tribal Miqo'te character and when a Miqo'te gutterslut?

RE: Miqo'te RP: You're doing it wrong - Parvacake - 01-28-2015

For me, names have never thrown me off until they're deliberately trollish.

Hell, the first person I RPed with on this server was Endemerrin. I didn't bat an eye at the name lol. I just thought his baby opo-opo was cute!

RE: Miqo'te RP: You're doing it wrong - Cato - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 12:52 PM)Ritual Wrote: I don't really see this thread getting anywhere any time soon, all that has been established is that there is a split in how people believe something should be RPed, or how they perceive cultures, other people, basically what has been established is what everyone's talking about, not every character will act to lore or to their culture, not everyone has the same views, a vast majority of people are different, which is pretty much what the discussion is about. There is no right and wrong, these are just concepts created by society or a culture, individuals also have their own ways of saying what is right or wrong, saying that other people are RPing a Miqo'te wrong has no real basis, there is no objectivity in that and that is why discussions like this will keep going and going because everyone has their own views on subjects like this. 

This thread has a good potential of just becoming another hot-pot discussion like ERP, you can have you're own views, but lets not try to enforce these views on others, agree to disagree and move on, because this will just go around and around and won't end until people just tire of the thread until another comes a long.

So long as people remain civil I don't really see the problem. I mean, if we want to get technical there's all sorts of different aspects of role-play that have been discussed in the past - but that doesn't mean there aren't new people looking to weigh in on those subjects.

Plus there's a lot of posters - myself included - who enjoy a good debate and these sort of threads tend to be very active.

RE: Miqo'te RP: You're doing it wrong - K'nahli - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:03 PM)N Wrote: When is someone deemed a tribal Miqo'te character and when a Miqo'te gutterslut?

A lot of people have the wrong idea about them in general so if you even show hints of promiscuity then you're going to get slapped by the judgemental hand of Lord Stereotype.

RE: Miqo'te RP: You're doing it wrong - Warren Castille - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:03 PM)Nvelhi Tia Wrote: I personally created my two Miqo'te because the tribal way of living interested me. My current main, N'velhi could be deemed a savage by Ul'dah, lacking proper mannerisms (walks about on all fours on occasion, urinates in public, has no problem with public nudity nor does he understand why others do etc.) and I thoroughly love RPing him.

Problem is, like most Tias, he strives to be Nunh, unlikely to happen given his manners, but works dilligently on getting himself a tribe. Now, this crass Tia often makes crude remarks to females; doesn't respect them until they've proven to be capable huntresses. He wants to build relationships with females, start his own polyamorous tribe and become Nunh. For this reason I've not roleplayed him in public, mainly due to me probably being labeled another guy in it for the ERP (really, I'm more than happy to fade to black during sexy times). And, honestly, I'm at a loss on how to fix that.

When is someone deemed a tribal Miqo'te character and when a Miqo'te gutterslut?

It's nitpicking, but there's zero reason to do this when miqo'te don't have paws or pads.

RE: Miqo'te RP: You're doing it wrong - Kage - 01-28-2015

I wish to re-name this: Racial RP Doing it Right or Wrong. Tongue

.... Have there ever been any instance in the game of Miqo'te NPCs even actually acting other than "man with extra appendages, possibly better smell etc"?

I mean, I certainly don't see the Miqo'te in the Shroud or those in the U tribe acting... "feral"? Uncivilized in western culture I guess is the best way I can put it. Yes, we haven't seen any evidence to say there aren't, but have there been instances where the Miqo'te act anything other than a man with tails and cat ears? Cultural norms aside of the Nunh etc.

RE: Miqo'te RP: You're doing it wrong - Berrod Armstrong - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:11 PM)K Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:03 PM)N Wrote: When is someone deemed a tribal Miqo'te character and when a Miqo'te gutterslut?

A lot of people have the wrong idea about them in general so if you even show hints of promiscuity then you're going to get slapped by the judgemental hand of Lord Stereotype.
I find this a good question. For example -- up until recent developments I played Berrod as a very sexually charged character. He sometimes went out of his way to display his attractiveness, down to the sort of clothes he wore. He had zero problem calling lewdly to women in public, and would often strut about with a blatant "You definitely wanna fuck me" attitude. Yet -- he never got the reputation of being a gutterslut. Was it because Highlanders don't have the same sort of societal construct as Miqo'te? I could never figure it out.

RE: Miqo'te RP: You're doing it wrong - N'velhi Tia - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:14 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:03 PM)N Wrote: I personally created my two Miqo'te because the tribal way of living interested me. My current main, N'velhi could be deemed a savage by Ul'dah, lacking proper mannerisms (walks about on all fours on occasion, urinates in public, has no problem with public nudity nor does he understand why others do etc.) and I thoroughly love RPing him.

It's nitpicking, but there's zero reason to do this when miqo'te don't have paws or pads.

I'm well aware it's not usually done. However, having been a hunter most of his life he started to adapt to other apex predators, couerls, mainly. It's why he has also sharpened his own teeth.

RE: Miqo'te RP: You're doing it wrong - Gegenji - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:20 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:

I find this a good question. For example -- up until recent developments I played Berrod as a very sexually charged character. He sometimes went out of his way to display his attractiveness, down to the sort of clothes he wore. He had zero problem calling lewdly to women in public, and would often strut about with a blatant "You definitely wanna fuck me" attitude. Yet -- he never got the reputation of being a gutterslut. Was it because Highlanders don't have the same sort of societal construct as Miqo'te? I could never figure it out.

Well, if a MIQO'TE does it, it's being slutty. If a Manlander does it, it's just RPing. Obviously we're suffering from fantasy racism. Rolleyes

RE: Miqo'te RP: You're doing it wrong - Parvacake - 01-28-2015

I think it's because most people see miqo'te and think "sex kitties, heat, pheromones, oh my!"

Highlanders make me think like highlanders of old: loud fighters who will smack the barmaid's ass as she trounces by.

RE: Miqo'te RP: You're doing it wrong - Cato - 01-28-2015

It depends on how it's done. The stereotype tends to click when that's all a particular character ends up doing...and let's be honest, a lot of Miqo'te role-players do spoil things for the rest of their brethren by desperately seeking ERP at every turn.

Obviously not every Miqo'te role-player should be tarnished with the same brush but at the same time I can't blame people for being wary.

RE: Miqo'te RP: You're doing it wrong - Zhavi - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:19 PM)Kage Wrote: I wish to re-name this: Racial RP Doing it Right or Wrong. Tongue

.... Have there ever been any instance in the game of Miqo'te NPCs even actually acting other than "man with extra appendages, possibly better smell etc"?

I mean, I certainly don't see the Miqo'te in the Shroud or those in the U tribe acting... "feral"? Uncivilized in western culture I guess is the best way I can put it. Yes, we haven't seen any evidence to say there aren't, but have there been instances where the Miqo'te act anything other than a man with tails and cat ears? Cultural norms aside of the Nunh etc.

because these species were developed to be flavor and not as in depth setting that others could use to reproduce for the purpose of in depth characterization. As many nice things as rpers get in this game, actual realistic culture/behavior is definitely not one of them.

So the only thing to do to truly separate from the other human split offs is the little flavor bits of biology.

RE: Miqo'te RP: You're doing it wrong - Knight Kat - 01-28-2015

I don't understand the point of stating that a thread is invalid, or not getting anywhere. There have been quite a few threads lately that almost derailed into debates about Miqo'te. This thread -needed- to be made, and I give Warren kudos for starting it.

I have only been in this community for a year, but I feel like I am looking at a third generation of Balmung RPers. Seriously, I know some of you, but some of you other people... Who are you!? Laugh

Sometimes topics once talked about, even in great detail, should be brought up again when there is a new group of people to chime in and benefit. As always, if someone doesn't like the thread then they should ignore it. Let everyone who wants to participate in the discussion do so. If we are wasting time, it is our time to waste.

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Kage - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:25 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(01-28-2015, 01:19 PM)Kage Wrote: I wish to re-name this: Racial RP Doing it Right or Wrong. Tongue

because these species were developed to be flavor and not as in depth setting that others could use to reproduce for the purpose of in depth characterization.  As many nice things as rpers get in this game, actual realistic culture/behavior is definitely not one of them.

So the only thing to do to truly separate from the other human split offs is the little flavor bits of biology.
Zhavi I love you but I think something got cut off or my brain is dying.

So there... isn't really?

RE: Racial RP: You're doing it wrong - Kinono - 01-28-2015

(01-28-2015, 01:22 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

Well, if a MIQO'TE does it, it's being slutty. If a Manlander does it, it's just RPing. Obviously we're suffering from fantasy racism. Rolleyes

And if a lalafell does it, a black van shows up in my dri-