Hydaelyn Role-Players
Cliche RP Elements - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Cliche RP Elements (/showthread.php?tid=76)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: Cliche RP Elements - Faust - 07-12-2010

Yeah, I prefer game time just because it expedites otherwise boring things. I wouldn't want game time to follow real time, because then you don't get to play at certain hours game time, but it would be best I think if a real life day was 2 or 3 game days (at least for the purposes of RP).

My impression is that the game clock is partly there for the purpose of making those things make sense. Traveling across an entire region in 10 minutes on foot doesn't make much sense, unless that ten minutes is actually a few hours. When I log off for the night, my character isn't sleeping for the night, they're taking days off to rest.

But I really don't think it matters so long as everyone in your RP circle is on a similar page.

Re: Cliche RP Elements - DAISHI - 07-12-2010

Faust Wrote:Yeah, I prefer game time just because it expedites otherwise boring things. I wouldn't want game time to follow real time, because then you don't get to play at certain hours game time, but it would be best I think if a real life day was 2 or 3 game days (at least for the purposes of RP).

My impression is that the game clock is partly there for the purpose of making those things make sense. Traveling across an entire region in 10 minutes on foot doesn't make much sense, unless that ten minutes is actually a few hours. When I log off for the night, my character isn't sleeping for the night, they're taking days off to rest.

But I really don't think it matters so long as everyone in your RP circle is on a similar page.

You know... I really like your take on the time system. Wow I played since nearly day one and never really though of it like that. Good job.

Re: Cliche RP Elements - DAISHI - 07-12-2010

Arzy Wrote:<rant>

Hmm ... the question is, what makes those elements cliche? Lots of people using it? The same can be said about jeans then, per se. As long as the RPer that's currently putting the element to use has some sense of logic and creates a realistic area, I see no problem in it. Of course, it's kinda avkward when 10 people at once are using that element (as long as it's not story required). The RPers that make these elements called "cliche" are usually meta-gamers or god-modders, a sensible RPer knows what element to use and when to use it.

I personally encountered few of those RPers that used one RP element far too often. For example, the demonic possession: The normally mediocre fighter turns into an invincible terminator because of a demonic possession and no-one can defeat him. It kinda lifted the feeling of unrealism and to yell: "I've defeated the Pandemonium Warden and I can't beat you, wtf?!" But that doesn't mean that another demonic possession cannot be RP'd epically, if done by a good RPer. I dunno, I just get the feeling that calling some elements cliche because bad RPers use it is generalising and pretty much saying: "Someone already did this or this is too old, don't do it".

</rant>

Time section: Ehh....No way I would ever wait several days to cross the mountains/borders/dimensions. Game time, first choice. Following the RP in RL-time can get eventually boring.

If 15 people in a shell are all getting demon possessed, it is getting cliche, in my opinion. What I would do once I felt it started getting cliche would RP that the person claiming to be possessed was actually a loon. I'd start responding with "He's off his meds again..." or something to that effect. If the possessed individual started RPing they were wielding some grandiose strength, my counter would be "Stares at <insert name> as they swing wildly in circles, appearing drunk". Your right to RP something does not necessitate I have to RP into your vision.

Re: Cliche RP Elements - Aveline - 07-12-2010

Quote:I'd start responding with "He's off his meds again..." or something to that effect. If the possessed individual started RPing they were wielding some grandiose strength, my counter would be "Stares at <insert name> as they swing wildly in circles, appearing drunk".

Yep that's pretty much what I did too. "RARG I'm craaaazy man! I murder people left and right! WATCH OUT FOR ME! Cower in fear or I will kill you where you stand! In the middle of Jeuno!"

Me: /em stares at ______ with eyebrows raised and quietly points at the guards two feet away. "Go for it."

Re: Cliche RP Elements - Seraphine Felstar - 07-12-2010

Really I think time and days of the week in FFXI was just a crafting/gardening/magic thing. They wanted to add some in game element to it and thought having to wait an entire real life in game day was too long. Other then those three areas it has no other effect on the game as far as I know.

I'm of the opinion that most of the stuff that comes out nowadays has already been done before. That applies to movies, books, and television. It can also apply to RP so people should be careful not to do something that has already been done to death.

Re: Cliche RP Elements - Faust - 07-12-2010

The biggest effect, I think, was shops, particularly guild shops, that are only open during certain hours. I think they wanted to have shops that opened and closed, and for whole days to go by within the course of a single session (so you could easily see the environments at different times of day, like sunrise and set, without playing absurd hours). They probably figured that people wouldn't like it if you had to wait really long periods of time just to buy something or see a certain environmental effect.

Re: Cliche RP Elements - DAISHI - 07-13-2010

Crystal Wrote:Really I think time and days of the week in FFXI was just a crafting/gardening/magic thing. They wanted to add some in game element to it and thought having to wait an entire real life in game day was too long. Other then those three areas it has no other effect on the game as far as I know.

I'm of the opinion that most of the stuff that comes out nowadays has already been done before. That applies to movies, books, and television. It can also apply to RP so people should be careful not to do something that has already been done to death.

Solomon was of the same opinion when he opined in the Book of Ecclesiastes "There is nothing new under the sun".

Re: Cliche RP Elements - Seraphine Felstar - 07-13-2010

Who am I to argue with Solomon? Laugh Seriously, being completely original nowadays is rough. George Lucas himself admits a lot of his work was "borrowed" from others and how many copy his works in turn? - Best most can do is come up with a storyline they hope is enjoyable and fresh.

Re: Cliche RP Elements - Nanapariri - 07-13-2010

Like I posted before some people can breathe new life into cliches. I've rped cliches but I read up a lot on what everyone else was doing with said cliche and didn't copy them exactly. I added my own spin I didn't copy it exactly which in literature is called plagerism.

Lucas and everyone used other work, ancient mythe etc, as a starting point. He would've ben cliche if he'd of made Luke's story that of Hercules just changing the names and making it in space but he didn't. Theres is nothing wrong with archtypes or themes but just plain copying another rper since he got attention is cliche.

For instance the possession thing one person did it in a shell and did it well and then suddenly tons popped up with it and we had competeing "demons" and it just got into more of an "Epeen" contest ending not well. All because these people copied the first person, the way they behaved etc, and it ruined the first person's character.

Re: Cliche RP Elements - ArmachiA - 07-13-2010

I hereby claim that FFXIV's big cliche will be Pirates (Says the girl who is playing one)

Re: Cliche RP Elements - Hiname - 07-13-2010

What about ninja-raptor riding zombie-pirates?

Re: Cliche RP Elements - Tyriont - 07-13-2010

Maybe, maybe not. I got that feeling at first, which irked me since I've been playing a pirate for years in FFXI. But thinking about it, it's well-established that there's a sizeable pirate presence in Limsa...there were a decent number of characters who played knights from San d'Oria, since that was a sizeable organization in game lore...I don't recall it being considered a cliche. What it all boils down to is how they're played. If we start seeing huge numbers of pirates constantly parading around, killing people left and right with no retaliation then it might become a problem...but for now, I'm hoping it'll just be like everything else and will be a popular choice that is mostly played well.

Yay, optimism.

Yay, hopefully not deluding myself.

Re: Cliche RP Elements - ArmachiA - 07-13-2010

I played a pirate in FFXI too, my guild was called the Crimson Pirates XD.

Since pirates (And Privateers, too) have such a strong presence in FFXIV, I see people having many ships. And yeah, some people will run around without regard for law Tongue

Re: Cliche RP Elements - Aveline - 07-13-2010

Niami was a sort-of pirate in FFXI. XD She was born and raised in Mhaura, started out as a thief with a love of the sea, became a bard and (with the later expansion) embraced the life of a corsair. SINGING PIRATE. Ahaha.

This time around I think I've had my fill of piracy, but yeah I expect to see many in-game.

I also think there are going to be a loooot of orphans out for revenge on the Garleans. Garleans are the new orcs.

Re: Cliche RP Elements - Shamadconde - 07-13-2010

Not just orcs. Never forget the Yagudos and Quadavs!