Hydaelyn Role-Players
*sighs at Queues as DPS* - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: *sighs at Queues as DPS* (/showthread.php?tid=4438)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Aleister - 09-12-2013

(09-12-2013, 11:09 AM)Rahal Wrote:
(09-11-2013, 11:09 PM)Aleister Wrote: I agree with her on this...

Also.. Not trying to sound mean or anything but why is there a thread for this? :l Dps queues have always been like this in any mmo with a 'duty finder'. Just gotta befriend a tank or healer and ask them/join them when they do stuff.. Saves the hassle with dealing with annoying derpy randoms.

Edit: Also I'm a Warrior tank and if you need a queue for any dungeon 1-50 (Except AK.. I tend only to do that annoying place with people I know a bit, sorry.) Hit me up and if I'm not busy or anything I most likely will not decline your request for help. I <3 the Titan fight btw.. Just saiyan.

Hey you still need to help me through AK you know! :p
YES YES YES WIDDLE REIKO. Got me a healer like Koko and get Chance and we'll do it! >:l Cause apparently EVEN HEALERS can derp as we saw with that random one..

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Lament - 09-12-2013

(09-12-2013, 01:01 AM)TheCurls Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 12:37 AM)Lament Wrote: ...then rolled greed on every single piece of caster gear (that he didn't deserve)...

If you rolled Need, his Greed roll wouldn't even come up. I think it's commonplace where people just roll Greed on everything just because they'll eventually level another class. At least that's what I do (unless a party member realllly wants something, then I'll pass), but I'm generally queuing from the Dutyfinder LS.

Hurp. I meant Need, yes. In my defense, it was early in the morning! ...Not in my defense, I should've been asleep.

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Quuyn - 09-13-2013

Question. I play a healer but recently I've been wanting to start as a DPS because I want it to be easier to farm mob drops for crafting. Now, I'm leaning towards Summoner because I'm sitting on high level Conj and a level 15 Arcanist.

Essentially I'm lazy! SO DPSers, I was wondering how Summoner's damage was. And is it worth it to level it, or should I start from scratch with something like a Lancer?

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - LiadansWhisper - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 04:03 AM)Koyu Wrote: Question. I play a healer but recently I've been wanting to start as a DPS because I want it to be easier to farm mob drops for crafting. Now, I'm leaning towards Summoner because I'm sitting on high level Conj and a level 15 Arcanist.

Essentially I'm lazy! SO DPSers, I was wondering how Summoner's damage was. And is it worth it to level it, or should I start from scratch with something like a Lancer?

They don't really have any burst, it's all DoTS from what I understand.  And I don't believe they have a true "AoE" until level 40 I think?

Why don't you just farm mobs using Holy?!

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Korin - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 04:03 AM)Koyu Wrote: Question. I play a healer but recently I've been wanting to start as a DPS because I want it to be easier to farm mob drops for crafting. Now, I'm leaning towards Summoner because I'm sitting on high level Conj and a level 15 Arcanist.

Lancers are fabulous. I'm really enjoying it myself despite the fact I have no idea what I'm doing! It's all a matter of personal preference, though - I've tried conjurer and archer for the sake of a ranged DPS class and I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd hoped. That said, I'm on the ps3 and kiting as an archer just looks...a bit silly.

From what I gather summoners aren't that great for burst damage. I'm told you all just spread diseases...and then wait.

Of course I might be slightly biased towards lancer what with it being my main. I've levelled a bit of pugilist too, that's also quite fun - I guess in the end it boils down to whether you want to play melee or ranged.

Just my opinion on that, though! I'm really quite bad on the DPS side of things (who am I kidding, i'm bad at all of it ;__; ) but I figured i'll throw what I've learned and/or heard of so far at you. c:

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Oroban - 09-13-2013

Now that I dropped Titan (Thank you thank you, Liadin), I'm actually going to pick up Gladiator tomorrow after work to level up and tank a bit. It's especially crucial because I actually DID have a bad (well, more uninformed, though I tried to explain the boss tricks) tank today in Brayflox. We kept wiping because "Take the dragon out of the poison" kept registering as "Move yourself out, but let the dragon keep regenerating." My soul hurt, but we kept at it and got the hang of it.

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Quuyn - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 04:48 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Why don't you just farm mobs using Holy?!

Hrnnngh -Switches to Red Chakra- I CAN DO THIS.

But yeah, chucking rocks at things even with Cleric stance is horribly tedious and takes ages. And Dots might actually be perfect if I can just insta cast all over like 5 things and watch them die.

Considering I'm looking for this purely to farm mobs, as I don't have any intention of using it in raids unless, of course they need me to. (Who am I kidding I'll be RPing.) SO I think Summoner might be perfect... Minus the tacky outfit. -Huffs-

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - LiadansWhisper - 09-13-2013

(09-13-2013, 05:01 AM)Koyu Wrote:
(09-13-2013, 04:48 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: Why don't you just farm mobs using Holy?!

But yeah, chucking rocks at things even with Cleric stance is horribly tedious and takes ages. And Dots might actually be perfect if I can just insta cast all over like 5 things and watch them die.

Considering I'm looking for this purely to farm mobs, as I don't have any intention of using it in raids unless, of course they need me to. (Who am I kidding I'll be RPing.) SO I think Summoner might be perfect... Minus the tacky outfit. -Huffs-

ACTUALLY...that's exactly what I was doing tonight on Garrosh.  :O

But I digress - I mean using the Holy spell.  Huge AoE, stun effect, pretty, and does a ton of damage!

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Jove - 09-13-2013

To be honest that's petty much level 24 Arcanist for me so far, I almost get a sadistic pleasure out of it. Send in the pet to tank, mob attacks pet, apply DoTs, just watch as the mob's health falls all the way down, usually dying before any of the DoTs finish.

But with pet control and pet healing, emnity management, you can easily take on a few mobs at a time, cast the DoTs and sit back. It's pretty damn relaxed, even if a mob takes you by surprise, you've got a mini tank there to distract them.

I can't imagine Summoner being that different, just meaner pets and deadlier DoTs. I believe also at around level 40, there's a spell that spreads your DoTs from a target to surrounding enemies?

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Oroban - 09-14-2013

I decided to level up Gladiator a bit...and, well, it's pretty fun! I'm currently level 16 and just tanked my first Sastasha party before I decided that 5am was a good bedtime. First time tank and a first time healer, and we handled it pretty easily. Now I just need to repeat tomorrow to get the full plundered plate set...

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - LeCard - 09-14-2013

(09-13-2013, 03:15 PM)Jove Wrote:

To be honest that's petty much level 24 Arcanist for me so far, I almost get a sadistic pleasure out of it. Send in the pet to tank, mob attacks pet, apply DoTs, just watch as the mob's health falls all the way down, usually dying before any of the DoTs finish.

But with pet control and pet healing, emnity management, you can easily take on a few mobs at a time, cast the DoTs and sit back. It's pretty damn relaxed, even if a mob takes you by surprise, you've got a mini tank there to distract them.

I can't imagine Summoner being that different, just meaner pets and deadlier DoTs. I believe also at around level 40, there's a spell that spreads your DoTs from a target to surrounding enemies?
The ACN spell that spreads the love is the Level 30 class quest skill. You have to be under Aetherflow and it uses one Aetherflow with each cast(meaning a possible 2 casts off one cast of Aetherflow.) However, since it consumes you Aetherflow you lose a cast of the absobtion spell for everytime you cast the spreading skill.

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Oroban - 09-16-2013

I'm starting to get why people don't like to tank as much as DPS, honestly. It's like watching kindergarteners at day care half the time. I'm only tough enough to do the first three dungeons (Well, I'm high enough tank level to DO Halitali, just no confidence I'd survive it) and all I see all day erry day is DD characters deciding that they're gonna poke whatever they want, whether or not I firmly have its focus. Oddly enough, I'm still having tons of fun. Most of the time.
/Masochist?
Anyway yes, here's one more person who'll take some of your queue time down, until I lose hope!

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Cato - 09-16-2013

I enjoy tanking, but it tends to be pretty hit and miss. Sometimes I'll stumble across a brilliant group of players that are experienced or simply willing to listen to feedback and learn how to defeat a particular boss that they're struggling with. I actually enjoy the latter type of group more, since it feels a lot more satisfying when the last boss finally falls to the ground.

However, I have absolutely no patience for players that...well, have no patience! I loathe it when I'm trying to look out for the party and another player - usually a DPS, though I've had a couple of healers do it as well - runs ahead and pulls enemies before I have a chance to mark targets and gain their undivided attention. Even if the culprit doesn't die the situation feels rather messy and I've seen groups break apart with insults thrown my way for being a 'bad tank' even though I've done nothing wrong.

I suspect situations such as the scenario I described are one of the reasons as to why so many players end up avoiding tanking or healing altogether. I'm certainly not perfect and make my own fair share of stupid mistakes whilst tanking, but I do my best to own up and apologise to the other members of my party when it happens. I'm getting a little tired of players expecting a dungeon run forged through the duty finder to go flawlessly and with absolutely no mistakes made. Even at the highest level of raiding - and I speak from experience since I did a lot of high end raiding back in WoW - wipes happen. It's better to strive to identify and remedy the problem after laughing it off instead of raging and quitting the moment one player makes a mistake.

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Oroban - 09-16-2013

Now that I've been on both sides, I'm still hesitant to throw around the 'bad tank' label, but honestly, SOME tanks just aren't so great...like I had a tank in Brayflox's Longstop who just never dodged dragon breath, or lured Aiatar off of the poison, and then complained that we DD characters just weren't doing enough damage. While the boss was regenning.

RE: *sighs at Queues as DPS* - Cato - 09-16-2013

(09-16-2013, 05:11 AM)Oroban Wrote: Now that I've been on both sides, I'm still hesitant to throw around the 'bad tank' label, but honestly, SOME tanks just aren't so great...like I had a tank in Brayflox's Longstop who just never dodged dragon breath, or lured Aiatar off of the poison, and then complained that we DD characters just weren't doing enough damage. While the boss was regenning.

I think some players are just willingly ignorant to the idea that something they are doing might be the reason the rest of the party is failing at their tasks in turn. As a general rule I tend to give each player I come across three chances to consider feedback before I write them off as a lost cause.