Hydaelyn Role-Players
Why pre-arrange romantic RP? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Why pre-arrange romantic RP? (/showthread.php?tid=20177)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Why pre-arrange romantic RP? - Kieron Lohengrin - 08-19-2017

As a DM these days I get more of a kick out of watching my players' characters develop a relationship over time, instead of my own. It's a bit of a cheat though and counts as pre-arranged since we've already known each other IRL for years. But it's great fun putting other toons to the test in dungeons / IC situations and watching their forged-by-fire romance develop, especially if they started off as childhood friend archetypes

RE: Why pre-arrange romantic RP? - SapphireSkylines - 08-22-2017

(07-26-2017, 01:12 PM)Iteza Wrote: Hmm. I can see how sometimes it'd fit the purpose, like setting up a backstory, or maybe a couple just wants to stick together. Makes sense!

I personally try to avoid it, because it just has to be a spectacular ship for me to be on board. I am a huge fan of characters impacting one another and being a catalyst for growth. I don't think I could rp slice of life romance, not that there is anything wrong with it! 

What I could see working out for prearrangement may be like... One sided love! Like you make sure the person is ok with your character crushing on them, so it doesn't get weird.

Gem x Wendy! Gem x Weeennnddyyy....!

RE: Why pre-arrange romantic RP? - Kerrath - 08-23-2017

for me my character's romance was pre-arranged because my girlfriend plays ff14. it's about that simple.

in any other case, though, i think organically-generated romance plots are better. in fact, i think that the less you care about your character's sexual success, the better of a romance roleplayer you have the capacity to be. the best romance roleplayers are the ones who actively find new and creative wrenches to throw in the machine.

i really enjoy rocky romance stories wherein one or both characters have severe personality flaws. a large part of storytelling is the investigation of the human condition and romance is an excellent vehicle for exploring the nature of a person.

RE: Why pre-arrange romantic RP? - Ritsu - 08-24-2017

Personally I am a fan of letting things happen naturally. I have a SO that plays the game as well and neither of us mind each other having different partners. I had a relationship IC with another player for about 2 years. My SO still wanted to do lovey dovey on his main, so I made him a character.

But even though I made the character "for" him, IC interactions were to determined if the characters got together or not. First one I made? Failed so hard, but it was still fun to RP! The second one eventually worked out (good thing too cause I wasn't changing this one) But it took YEARS. I mean..I am still sitting on a bonding for those two.

Now? I would rather do romantic RP with a close friend or my beloved. For a few reasons. 1.) Anxiety, while it wasn't so bad when I first moved here. It is amp'ed up now. 2.) Since I have been here I have seen so much drama from bleed/bad endings. I rather just avoid it.

Would I still let it happen naturally, yups! If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Sometimes two characters just don't flow well together.

RE: Why pre-arrange romantic RP? - Lydia Lightfoot - 08-24-2017

I love that my thread is still going on, a month later. :3 It seems there's a lot of interesting perspectives to be shared about the topic! 

<3

RE: Why pre-arrange romantic RP? - Eyrisunn Bleistyrwyn - 08-29-2017

I've always assumed when people pre-arrange on MMOs, they're looking for leads vs. trying to find a set-in-stone partner from the get go, such as would be the case in a one-on-one setting via forums or messengers. Like, they would wait until they were in game with a scene prompt in mind, initiate it, and figure out how compatible they were from there. Is this not case? It seems to me like doing it this way, there is still enough of a random factor (as long as it's not assumed that the relationship will successfully be made) that the relationship could begin organically, since it's not much more manufactured than being set up with a potential hook-up at the bar by a friend. 

If they are looking for a manufactured, "We're already in a relationship, now let's kith," on the first scene, then I would suspect these people are simply more comfortable in somewhat of a sandboxed one-on-one setting. Or perhaps they have issues with control (EDIT: This is a major red flag in a potential RP partner), and they find a scenario most enjoyable when it follows a loosely laid plan. Or perhaps they're just used doing family-type RPs where you typically have to find people to play your immediate family members, etc. 

I also suspect that many requests such as these are by new characters, which is different from trying to push a fully developed character into the arms of another. 'Matured' characters seeking pre-arrangements online signals to me that they're either sandboxing, or that they're perhaps trying to navigate a range of sensitivities that they're trying to avoid triggering--something that is safely done by negotiating a scene beforehand.

The assumption that it's shallow and a misdirected attempt to create a story is unfortunate; with my RL SO, pretty much the bulk of what we do with our one-one-one stories, and they're some of the most fulfilling situations I've ever had the pleasure of diving into.