Hydaelyn Role-Players
Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies (/showthread.php?tid=10813)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Erik Mynhier - 03-26-2015

(03-26-2015, 10:09 PM)Alothia Wrote: Maybe a better option for this summit is to hold it here so that we have a written record of what was said, and so that people can go back and reference what the FCs do in one thread. *shrug* Just a suggestion so that we're not being constrained by the damned character limit in game.

A complete transcript will be posted after the event. True it will not show pms but neither would it if the event was here and people pmed eachother here.

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Alothia - 03-26-2015

(03-26-2015, 10:31 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 10:09 PM)Alothia Wrote: Maybe a better option for this summit is to hold it here so that we have a written record of what was said, and so that people can go back and reference what the FCs do in one thread. *shrug* Just a suggestion so that we're not being constrained by the damned character limit in game.

A complete transcript will be posted after the event. True it will not show pms but neither would it if the event was here and people pmed eachother here.

No, I know that much. But it is going to be a lot to deal with with a lot of people and a lot of character limits. At least if it was done here or in another sort of chat, like maybe a skype group (which is what we used for our old summits) it would be easier to keep track of things.

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Erik Mynhier - 03-26-2015

(03-26-2015, 11:25 PM)Alothia Wrote:

No, I know that much. But it is going to be a lot to deal with with a lot of people and a lot of character limits. At least if it was done here or in another sort of chat, like maybe a skype group (which is what we used for our old summits) it would be easier to keep track of things.

I cannot run skype, but I can run ts. If someone who has the time wants to set a room for the evemt as a supliment added to the event I cam add the info to the event page. I simply dont have the time set it up but open to it being a thing.

Ps, I wish the rpc had a chat room.

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Magellan - 03-26-2015

(03-26-2015, 01:59 PM)Melkire Wrote:
  • Witnessed and interacted with two complete strangers who were roleplaying in the Coffer & Coffin before my friend and I strolled in to do likewise.
That might've been me! The Coffer & Coffin is the favorite watering hole of one of my characters Smile I remember a pair of miqo's strolling in on me one day. Even if it wasn't you....

.... while I did not join in directly with their rp, we emoted with each other on the fringes, which was a great & fun world-building feeling.

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Melodia - 03-27-2015

Yeah....maybe a subforum devoted to just FC interaction and their rp.... *points at older posts from yesterday*

And yes.,...I realize I am a smartass.

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Alothia - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 06:57 AM)Melodia Wrote:

Yeah....maybe a subforum devoted to just FC interaction and their rp.... *points at older posts from yesterday*

And yes.,...I realize I am a smartass.

If I had any ability to do those things, I would. Unfortunately, that needs to be brought up with Freelance and not harped on here. Hence why I've made suggestions as well.

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - FreelanceWizard - 03-27-2015

So, yes, chat is coming. Smile We have hit our Patreon milestone for that, so I'll be buying and installing the chat software in April.

As for an FC interaction forum, the RPC did have one of those in the past (the Leaders' Roundtable). Originally, it was only visible to FC leaders, but it was eventually opened to be visible to all with only FC leaders able to post. The reason I removed the forum was because it got approximately one post per 6 months -- it was deader than a lone Garlean in the middle of the Sagolii Desert. The feedback I got from FC leaders was that they didn't want to plot in public, whereas the community's reaction to a private forum for FC leaders was, unsurprisingly, quite negative (I believe I spoke out against it myself before getting the magic admin hat Tongue ).

I have no problem bringing a forum for cross-FC interactions back, but I'm not incredibly enthusiastic about doing so if it's going to continue to be unused (since it'd just add clutter).

#magicAdminHat

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Ardent Ghost - 03-27-2015

I'm really surprised to see how many people are resistant to this, particularly since many FC leaders have come forward outright stated that they have no interest in 'controlling' anything within the community, much less sticking around a 'meta-clique'. I for one can assure that its not Black Sun Vanguard's intentions when signing up for this, its more of a chance to see what alliances and contracts can be made with other FCs (Such as resource trade, information, allies for similar causes, ect.). Sure, you can use the forums to do this, but sometimes getting ahold of someone on an opposite schedule can be a pain, much less being sure if an FC you are hunting down is even active anymore.

I think a lot of roleplayers across Eorzea want a more united RP scene outside their usual group of friends, and if connecting some FCs can help with that, I can't see why it would be a bad thing.

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 04:48 PM)Ardent Ghost Wrote: I'm really surprised to see how many people are resistant to this, particularly since many FC leaders have come forward outright stated that they have no interest in 'controlling' anything within the community, much less sticking around a 'meta-clique'. I for one can assure that its not Black Sun Vanguard's intentions when signing up for this, its more of a chance to see what alliances and contracts can be made with other FCs (Such as resource trade, information, allies for similar causes, ect.). Sure, you can use the forums to do this, but sometimes getting ahold of someone on an opposite schedule can be a pain, much less being sure if an FC you are hunting down is even active anymore.

I think a lot of roleplayers across Eorzea want a more united RP scene outside their usual group of friends, and if connecting some FCs can help with that, I can't see why it would be a bad thing.

While not in a FC currently, I think I can address some of this.

In the OP, it was advertised as "solving problems". This heavily implies WAY more action than the infomercial setting that was later argued as the point.  ...I think it was bolded somewhere above, but after the split/migration, I can honestly say I'm not going to be reading back trying to find it.

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Melkire - 03-27-2015

(03-26-2015, 11:48 PM)Magellan Wrote:
(03-26-2015, 01:59 PM)Melkire Wrote:
  • Witnessed and interacted with two complete strangers who were roleplaying in the Coffer & Coffin before my friend and I strolled in to do likewise.
That might've been me! The Coffer & Coffin is the favorite watering hole of one of my characters Smile I remember a pair of miqo's strolling in on me one day. Even if it wasn't you....

.... while I did not join in directly with their rp, we emoted with each other on the fringes, which was a great & fun world-building feeling.

Was a male miqo' and a male middie. There was a male lalafell and a female hyur present (least I think it was a hyur). Not sure if you, but emoting on the fringes def happened, and it was fun. Big Grin

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Erik Mynhier - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 04:52 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(03-27-2015, 04:48 PM)Ardent Ghost Wrote: I'm really surprised to see how many people are resistant to this, particularly since many FC leaders have come forward outright stated that they have no interest in 'controlling' anything within the community, much less sticking around a 'meta-clique'. I for one can assure that its not Black Sun Vanguard's intentions when signing up for this, its more of a chance to see what alliances and contracts can be made with other FCs (Such as resource trade, information, allies for similar causes, ect.). Sure, you can use the forums to do this, but sometimes getting ahold of someone on an opposite schedule can be a pain, much less being sure if an FC you are hunting down is even active anymore.

In the OP, it was advertised as "solving problems". This heavily implies WAY more action than the infomercial setting that was later argued as the point.  ...I think it was bolded somewhere above, but after the split/migration, I can honestly say I'm not going to be reading back trying to find it.

Allow me to clarify this as it seems to be a source of a lot of animosity. The problems needing solving I refer to are the fc-centric problems facing any given fc. I will give you an example. Should you attend or watch the stream, the Red Wings, in the course of our presentation, will state that we are having an issue finding crafters willing to help us build airships. We have several lv50 (all classes) crafters, but our assumption is that crafting the ships will require at least an 8 man party. Now not being able to build thee ships is a big problem for us and airships have been very central to our storyline. Now the DEVs have stated that small fcs will be able to join together to help eachother, which helps the issue. But our problem in point is only one other small FC has offered to join with us. So this problem we have I feel will be solved in this summit.

Other fcs also have problems/needs/issues like that. When I say solve problems I do not mean server wide issues and role play policy, I mean issues in FCs. That is why this is a FC event. I can surely be blamed for poor wording, but not for dark intent. That said I hope you will all set aside your suspicions until you see what it is we are doing. I know that is a lot to ask, but do try.

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Ardent Ghost - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 04:52 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

Ah, I see. I must have read over that. But on that note, one could assume that this could involve solving the issue of FCs roleplaying outside their FC (not saying this is a problem, saying that some people wish more FCs were public involved.). Or perhaps an issue could be that a particular FC hasn't had much luck integrating into a community, and wants help doing so. Instead of viewing the glass half empty, people could hope for the best and see how this summit plays out and hope for a glass half full. c:

Edit: Late, didn't see the post above mine.

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Chris Ganale - 03-27-2015

I had immediately taken the phrasing "settle issues" (actual phrasing) to refer to any issues that one FC may have with another. Which is still a far cry from the implications being thrown around that some sort of mafia-esque league of FC nations is the goal here. And that's saying a lot considering I'm easily the most pessimistic person around that is most likely to jump to conclusions of nefarious activity on others' parts.

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 05:12 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: [clipped for space]

But that's just it. Perhaps the wording in the OP message was too vague, possibly mis-worded or simply written in a way that it was interpretted differently.

Bolded for empasis.
(03-17-2015, 04:20 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: The goal of this Summit is to bring together active Free Companies of Balmung to meet, interact, story plan, settle issues, and foster cooperation with other FCs for larger activities.

Nowhere in this message does it say anything about the OOC benefits or uses that you implied were the goal. Instead, what I (and likely others) see is a largely IC-centric assembly of only large RP Free Companies, which can easily be made to look like it is for the goal of trying to potentially merge individual FC plots into some giant timeline, make some form of homogenous "standard RP", or otherwise present something that people may take as such without knowing the context behind it. 

I've read the entirety of the thread before the split, but many times, these, and other more organizational/mechanical issues were brushed aside. By calling it a "summit" people are going to assume that it's not an FC Informercial. It's going to be seen as a group of FC leaders meeting together to have some form of discussion, as stated in the OP message, about the topics bolded. And when that was brought up, the explanation used to try to refute that didn't address the questions. It answered what was not asked. 

If the goal of the FC Leader Meetup was to discuss how to better organize FC resources for future content, why not directly state it that way?

RE: Interaction of Multiple Free Companies - Chris Ganale - 03-27-2015

(03-27-2015, 05:30 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Erik Mynhierfoster cooperation with other FCs for larger activities.

Nowhere in this message does it say anything about the OOC benefits or uses that you implied were the goal.

Says right there.

EDIT: -Looks at wonky coding- ....Meh. Point got across.

EDIT2: Also, flag on bullshit. It's not all big FCs. I don't even recognize half the FCs in that list.