Hydaelyn Role-Players
10 Common Errors “Spell Check” Won’t Catch - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 10 Common Errors “Spell Check” Won’t Catch (/showthread.php?tid=271)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: 10 Common Errors “Spell Check” Won’t Catch - Monadi - 07-24-2010

Faust Wrote:I'm generalizing and there are exceptions.

Probably best to leave it right there.

Re: 10 Common Errors “Spell Check” Won’t Catch - Faust - 07-24-2010

I just find it a bit ridiculous that abstaining from alcohol should invoke any kind of affront. I know that different cultures have different values about alcohol use, but I think most recognize that to abstain is ideal, even if they wouldn't choose it for themselves. While this isn't the first time that someone has wrongly assumed that I look down on all drinkers, it is easily the most egregious.

Frankly, it was an ignorant statement and ignorance is no crime, but warrants correction just the same. It's not my intent to make an affair out of it-- just setting the record straight.

I'm actually not sure why some dude making a joke about being drunk warranted a correction of "actually, I don't drink" in the first place, as I honestly doubt he meant it about you personally. Wink

Come now though, this is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Let's talk about bad spelling, instead. Bad spelling is always interesting.

Re: 10 Common Errors “Spell Check” Won’t Catch - Goliam - 07-24-2010

Bear Wrote:ohhhhhhhh, your one of those guys that thinks everyone who drinks is a vacuous moron.

The comment that launched a half-dozen rages.

Goliam Wrote:
Bear Wrote:ohhhhhhhh, your one of those guys that thinks everyone who drinks is a vacuous moron.

The comment that launched a half-dozen rages.

I'm angry on the internet! Evil

also, this: http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

Re: 10 Common Errors “Spell Check” Won’t Catch - Renaise - 07-24-2010

I'm hungry on the internet...

Damn you Man v Food... damn you...

*drools*

Re: 10 Common Errors “Spell Check” Won’t Catch - Goliam - 07-24-2010

MEANWHILE, BACK ON THE TOPIC:

I hate that (at least fire-fox) can't differentiate between 'Your' and 'You're'. I always find myself having to go back and edit that.

Re: 10 Common Errors “Spell Check” Won’t Catch - Faust - 07-24-2010

Monadi Wrote:I'm actually not sure why some dude making a joke about being drunk warranted a correction of "actually, I don't drink" in the first place, as I honestly doubt he meant it about you personally. Wink

Come now though, this is supposed to be a happy occasion! Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who.

Let's talk about bad spelling, instead. Bad spelling is always interesting.

I was just making banter. It's not as though I figured anyone would actually care about my personal drinking habits. I'm never angry on the internet, btw. I'm very rarely angry at all because it causes me immense disappointment in myself to experience such a waste of an emotion. That said, the fastest way to catch shit from me is to give it to me, and I happen to enjoy giving it back.

As for spelling, I don't find it particularly interesting. English uses non-phonetic spellings, essentially dooming everyone to make mistakes from time to time. A relatively simple change of "the rules" would prevent most people from ever making a spelling error in their entire lives. Instead we prefer to continue the tradition of making someone memorize the spelling of every single word in their vocabulary. And while it seems like a trifling issue, the longer we continue it, the longer we inconvenience ourselves, and the sooner we fix it the easier it will be. Though I can barely fathom a world where such a thing would be addressed.

Re: 10 Common Errors “Spell Check” Won’t Catch - Kashemia - 07-25-2010

Bela Lugosi ftw!