Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lore panel answers - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lore panel answers (/showthread.php?tid=8695)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Lore panel answers - Aldotsk - 10-18-2014

So basically, the Amdaporean character of mine isn't fully breaking the White Mage rule there xD

I am glad at least.

RE: Lore panel answers - Mae - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 09:22 PM)Merri Wrote:
(10-18-2014, 08:51 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
(10-18-2014, 08:34 PM)Aya Wrote:
(10-18-2014, 08:09 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: So, uh, yeah. You are perfectly justified in playing a regular Joe if being that super-special snowflake doesn't sit right with you.
How could there ever have been any question about this? O.O

The story line is an obvious single-player story thrust upon an MMO.
I was hoping that they would explain that the Echo is actually more common than the super-special-snowflake storyline was suggesting.

But NOPE!

This was actually answered in 1.0 to an extent, but no so much in ARR. The echo isn't common in relation to the general populace. There are, however, a lot of people who awoke with the echo. It was inferred that the Path of the Twelve (which disbanded after the calamity) had many members. Again, in comparison to the general populace, a couple hundred people scattered across Eorzea is next to nothing. It's not as exclusive as people seem to think, though. At least, it wasn't during 1.0, and some of those characters are still around.

The path of the twelve was only secretive because they were fearful of people figuring out about their "gift" and being afraid of them. Not because it was five or six people working in the dark.

If you want your character to have the echo, give it to them. If you don't abuse it, most people shouldn't really care. It's a part of the world, and opens doors to interesting possibilities that would otherwise be unfeasible.

But yeah. Just my opinion, on top of what was established in 1.0

Show Content

Pretty much everything Merri said. The Echo is uncommon when you consider the entire population. But since it is canon that adventurers have certain qualities (aetheryte travel, for example) that set them apart from the rest of the population, it could be argued that the Echo is fairly common within the adventurer population -- it's just a matter of people knowing/realizing it's there. 

I'm actually surprised that more people RP not having the Echo, even as a latent thing that they don't ever use or acknowledge. It honestly didn't seem to be that big of a deal to me as long as it wasn't being abused.

RE: Lore panel answers - Aya - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 10:30 PM)Mae Wrote: I'm actually surprised that more people RP not having the Echo, even as a latent thing that they don't ever use or acknowledge. It honestly didn't seem to be that big of a deal to me as long as it wasn't being abused.
I prefer to have different totally super powers! ^_^

RE: Lore panel answers - Ciel - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 10:30 PM)Mae Wrote: Pretty much everything Merri said. The Echo is uncommon when you consider the entire population. But since it is canon that adventurers have certain qualities (aetheryte travel, for example) that set them apart from the rest of the population, it could be argued that the Echo is fairly common within the adventurer population -- it's just a matter of people knowing/realizing it's there. 

I'm actually surprised that more people RP not having the Echo, even as a latent thing that they don't ever use or acknowledge. It honestly didn't seem to be that big of a deal to me as long as it wasn't being abused.

As someone who technically has it, it's kind of hard to use it effectively in RP.  I've acknowledged certain aspects of it, such as understanding other languages aside from Eorzean Common, but the whole part about stepping or looking into a person's past really toes the line of meta and player consent, and opens the door to someone with the Echo saying "Well it's on your character's wiki page, I totally saw that happen with my magical snowflake powers".

For this reason, I try to be extremely careful with it and what it can do, much less disclosing that she has it.

RE: Lore panel answers - Kailia - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 09:29 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(10-18-2014, 08:07 PM)Melkire Wrote: Q: Has there been a slow revival of White Mage and use of Succor, or is the main Player Character the one and only WHM outside of the Padjal?

A: You, the Warrior of Light, are the one and only chosen to do this. (Oda: There are other ways of getting white magic. There are other groups trying to revive white magic using nefarious means.)

(Emphasis mine.)

Interesting...

...though the implications for PC White Mages are rather more complex now.

Alas that the archive of the stream is only available to those who want to pay.

So if there's officially other ways of getting white magic, my character finding a soul stone in The Sunken Temple of Qarn (Which was from the 6th era, when white and black mages were pretty common), fits the lore after all. She just got the white magic seperate from the main story. Works for me!

RE: Lore panel answers - Seriphyn - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 10:35 PM)K Wrote:
(10-18-2014, 08:07 PM)Melkire Wrote: Q: Has there been a slow revival of White Mage and use of Succor, or is the main Player Character the one and only WHM outside of the Padjal?

A: You, the Warrior of Light, are the one and only chosen to do this. (Oda: There are other ways of getting white magic. There are other groups trying to revive white magic using nefarious means.)

(Emphasis mine.)

Interesting...

So if there's officially other ways of getting white magic, my character finding a soul stone in The Sunken Temple of Qarn (Which was from the 6th era, when white and black mages were pretty common), fits the lore after all. She just got the white magic seperate from the main story. Works for me!

I'm not exactly a lore expert in magic, but something tells me it does not.

RE: Lore panel answers - Jana - 10-18-2014

My character's still the only one I know of IC who has the echo, which has led to her keeping it kind of a secret. A lot of RPers seem to play soldiers or mercenaries as opposed to titled adventurers though, maybe that has something to do with it...

RE: Lore panel answers - Aduu Avagnar - 10-18-2014

(Emphasis mine.)

Interesting...

Except Qarn comes from Belah'dia which is 6, whereas White Mages were common in 5th.

RE: Lore panel answers - Mae - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 10:34 PM)Ciel Wrote:
(10-18-2014, 10:30 PM)Mae Wrote: Pretty much everything Merri said. The Echo is uncommon when you consider the entire population. But since it is canon that adventurers have certain qualities (aetheryte travel, for example) that set them apart from the rest of the population, it could be argued that the Echo is fairly common within the adventurer population -- it's just a matter of people knowing/realizing it's there. 

As someone who technically has it, it's kind of hard to use it effectively in RP.  I've acknowledged certain aspects of it, such as understanding other languages aside from Eorzean Common, but the whole part about stepping or looking into a person's past really toes the line of meta and player consent, and opens the door to someone with the Echo saying "Well it's on your character's wiki page, I totally saw that happen with my magical snowflake powers".

For this reason, I try to be extremely careful with it and what it can do, much less disclosing that she has it.
The visions, totally can understand how people would want to avoid using those. But the ability to understand languages seems benign enough.

I had actually thought about putting Echo-accessible(?) scenes/memories on my wiki page about a month ago... I wonder if I should go ahead, just as sort of experiment.

RE: Lore panel answers - Ciel - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 10:57 PM)Mae Wrote:
(10-18-2014, 10:34 PM)Ciel Wrote:

The visions, totally can understand how people would want to avoid using those. But the ability to understand languages seems benign enough.

I had actually thought about putting Echo-accessible(?) scenes/memories on my wiki page about a month ago... I wonder if I should go ahead, just as sort of experiment.

That's actually a very interesting idea, wish I'd thought of it!

RE: Lore panel answers - Jana - 10-18-2014

Actually, if I remember correctly, the echo manifests in different way for different people. Minfilia and the PC can see into the past and such, but many people don't have such a wide array of gifts. Being able to resist tempering and understanding other languages seem to be the only constant. I might be mis-remembering though.

RE: Lore panel answers - Kailia - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 10:48 PM)Nako Wrote:

(Emphasis mine.)

Interesting...

Except Qarn comes from Belah'dia which is 6, whereas White Mages were common in 5th.

Ah but this here is from this websites wiki:

Fifth Astral Era
1500 (YA)
- Grand Companies come together to prepare for the Sixth Umbral Era.
- Many White Mages abuse their power and the art begins to die out.

Sixth Umbral Era
Element: Water
1500 (YA)

- A Great Flood submerges and damages many parts of Eorzea. Possibly caused by the Archons.
- Shatotto, a very talented thaumaturge, casts Meteor to bring down a 'Star' and uses the fragments to create the first Stardust Rod.

So it is still possible for the last remaining white mage to of left a soul stone in the temple. They didn't just dye out over night. If anything the Fifth Astral Era, and Sixth Umbral Era, began in the same year. It only said that the art Begins to die out. So it is still possible to find such a treasure within them ruins I would believe.

RE: Lore panel answers - Sounsyy - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 11:02 PM)Jana Wrote: understanding other languages seem to be the only constant. I might be mis-remembering though.

Actually in 1.0, the Player Character was the only Echo user in all of the Path of the Twelve who had the ability to understand all languages. So it's more likely a rare trait. The only two commonplace traits are the ability to go inside other people's minds and resist tempering. That we've seen so far.

(10-18-2014, 10:35 PM)Kailia Wrote: So if there's officially other ways of getting white magic, my character finding a soul stone in The Sunken Temple of Qarn (Which was from the 6th era, when white and black mages were pretty common), fits the lore after all.

The War of the Magi between Black Mages and White Mages was actually fought during the 5th Astral Era. While the Temple of Qarn supposedly existed in the 5th Astral Era, it was a temple for wielders of Black Magic, not White. The temple was later used as a burial tomb for Belah'dia's royals afterwards. Their treasures were entombed with them. So highly unlikely that there are White Mage soulstones in Qarn. Amdapor, yes, Qarn, no.

RE: Lore panel answers - Aduu Avagnar - 10-18-2014

edit ----

Sounsy answered it better

RE: Lore panel answers - Merri - 10-18-2014

(10-18-2014, 11:21 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: While the Temple of Qarn supposedly existed in the 5th Astral Era

Belah'dia was actually a 6th Astral Era civilization, so Qarn wasn't around during the 5th Astral Era. Belah'dia was, however, a nation formed by the descendants of the black mage civilization that existed during the 5th Astral Era. There's a tie there, but Belah'dia did not exist during the war of the magi. :>