Hydaelyn Role-Players
Persistent RP parties - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Persistent RP parties (/showthread.php?tid=650)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: Persistent RP parties - NillaShadow - 09-16-2010

MereLee Wrote:In the Gridania storyline, our avatar speaks to moogles ... so in the RP we didn't talk to the moogles ??

I like moogles, kupo~ T_T

Moogle

Short answer, no because everyone saw that same scene in which they talked to those same moogles, and you obviously didn't all talk to the same moogles at the same time.
Long answer, maybe. If the rest of the group has already established (OOC or IC) that they didn't talk to the moogles, then you could have talked to the moogles, or maybe you talked with different moogles. Two ways to handle this are to elect someone within the group who experiences the scenes exactly, or just determine that nobody experiences the scenes exactly (although I don't think this should be in general rules because that should be up to the players).

Re: Persistent RP parties - MereLee - 09-16-2010

Understood: up to the group... whatever fits them better

Thanks for explaining ^^

Re: Persistent RP parties - Verence - 09-16-2010

Mooglespeak is presented as a rare and surprising gift, so if everyone and their dog runs around being able to speak to moogles, it kind of offsets things. It's probably best to avoid saying your char can speak to moogles as it would instantly make them a hugely important center of attention and it might get difficult explaining why they weren't/aren't more involved in Gridanian affairs.

Re: Persistent RP parties - Chveya - 09-17-2010

But our characters didn't speak to moogles. An NPC did.

Re: Persistent RP parties - Satisiun - 09-17-2010

Chveya Wrote:But our characters didn't speak to moogles. An NPC did.

Except that ...
Show Content

Satisiun Wrote:

Except that ...
Show Content

.... Oh.

Re: Persistent RP parties - MereLee - 09-17-2010

Satisiun Wrote:

Except that ...
Show Content

Awww... you didn't had to go that far...

Just in the opening, you can read the subtitles of what the moogle says, that simply implies that your character understood what the moogle said too. ^^

Else... we would read "Kupo kupo kupopo" or something like that...just like with the chocobos... they do "Waaark" and then a comment like (This chocobo looks sad).

P.D. Gridania opening is the best !! xDD
Moogles moogles moogles !! and suspended in the air~~ o.o

MereLee Wrote:P.D. Gridania opening is the best !! xDD
Moogles moogles moogles !! and suspended in the air~~ o.o

It's definitely the funniest. I laughed so hard. Even rolled another character later so I could see it again. Big Grin

Re: Persistent RP parties - Blade - 09-25-2010

This actually is a big part of my own RP group that I still run in FFXI. In many ways we approach our RP as a 'retelling' of the story in FFXI and when we feel that we have told all the stories that can be told in XI, the same group will move to XIV and presumably follow the same structure.

But in many ways our group has modeled much of the 'Persistent Party' mold that you have with most FF RPGs. It started out with three RPers, and then it got larger, bringing in more members, etc. Since, in a way, this RP group doubles as a mission static, there is an active role on my part (since I schedule) to set events such as missions and quests (which have real IC importance to us) on specific days when all members can attend and so that people don't get left out of the storyline. More or less, for us, the party dynamic was born when a group of adventurers mutually bore witness to an Ahriman telling of the return of the Shadow Lord (Nation missions 2-3). It's been a lot of fun actually, since you get this mix of adventurers who aren't really all that great friends at first but witness horrible news of the Shadow Lord's return and all of them can't just sit idly by and watch as Vana'diel gets destroyed, so they have to learn to get along and grow together, which is what has happened in this LS.

How the game treats cutscenes has always been an issue since it sets your character in the spotlight and as the sole hero of Vana'diel... especially awkward since many of the missions that these cutscenes happen on you can't even do solo if you tried. But part of what is fun about the storyline is to be the characters shown in the cutscenes, lots of epic stuff happens in those... as a result we have people sort of fudge it and assume that characters in the cutscene are addressing our group and not just one individual. It is not the smoothest option but people like this one, you get the best of both worlds I suppose.

Bad parts about this set-up: it potentially can discourage new members. Someone might miss out when we fought the Shadow Lord, but arrive in time to defeat the Zilart princes. In cases such as this we try to not have characters flaunt their victories... instead of talking about how WE in particular defeated the Shadow Lord and poking at new people about how they did NOT, we talk about the return and defeat of the Shadow Lord as common knowledge. We handle the Divine Might RP in a similar fashion... we aren't going to be pointing out to new RPers later on "check out my fancy earring that you don't have." Generally, yeah, we don't do things that would upset people for having missed out on earlier stuff. Likewise our characters don't see themselves as the predestined heroes of Vana'diel hand-picked by the Goddess to save the world... our characters treat themselves more like they are regular people thrust into epic adventures largely against their will. Everyone was really shocked when
Show Content

But even in that case, thoughts dissipated after one of us said "Just... don't think about it. I don't like thinking that I'm following on some predestined path." And that was that.

As with how our group interacts with others, we are the only FFXI RP LS on Siren and so I can't speak for how this would've worked. Another group might not like RPing with people who play themselves as the heroes of the game, and I can understand the reasons why. I suppose how I would resolve this is that our characters, when interacting with another RP group, wouldn't talk about their more extensive activities. This is something we already do to make the story make sense... most NPCs don't treat you like you are some badass who just saved the world. Most don't even seem to know of your activities. So we resolve this through keeping our mission progress secret... we argue that were we to tell the truth of our activities it could lead to widespread panic or people would just panic. I think this is what the game wants for your character anyways.... as Lion says
Show Content

That all being said it isn't a flawless model, but what has resulted is a very closely knit band of adventurers, with a lot of complex reasons to travel with each other, and I have found very fulfulling.

Re: Persistent RP parties - MereLee - 09-25-2010

Oh Avina I like how you described and solved everything !!

I would love to be in a canon group/party/linkshell but I'm so disappointed that people around here just shun the idea; Nilla's recruiting post haven't get any application beyond mine -.-

I had the same idea about "addressing to the group" instead of a single character and sincerely I like it that way better, instead of "being just an observer".

I wonder if anyone there would like to join me (and Nilla I guess, tho I don't think I'm entitled to talk for someone else,) to form a Canon RP Party/linkshell. I really believe it will be a lot of fun, plus you would get all things done (storyline, quests, bosses, etc.) and support to do others (such as crafting, leveling and what not).

Re: Persistent RP parties - Kurb - 09-25-2010

I'm confused all I do is add people to the old friend list and try to rp or just party with them as much as I can.
I did an RP raid once it gave me a headache.I resolved this by going into dungeons clearing them and bringing in rp members and using the setting itself.But I have a feeling I've missed the point haven't I.
One thing I would love to see is a FF14 besieged on the server god I hope that happens.Imagine different LS's holding different parts of the city while under attack :bounce: ehhh it's way off.Tried and tested method for myself i suppose

Re: Persistent RP parties - MereLee - 09-25-2010

I have never RP ... and if it wasn't cuz I found about the RPC, I would be playing at Mysidia right now, the normal way as anyone else: only grinding and looking for something else to do cuz "I'm bored" (<-- frequently muttered by players around me, either I know them or not).

Re: Persistent RP parties - Blade - 09-25-2010

Satisiun Wrote:1) You can have your private RP, but in effect you also have to sacrifice the ability to interact with other people. Basically, you will use Final Fantasy XIV as a multi-player role-playing game, instead of a massively multi-player online role-playing game, in which only a set number of players is communicated with and interacted with throughout the game, so long as you are playing through the entirety of the game's actual storyline.

Think of it almost like playing Baldur's Gate with several other players at the same time, in that regard.

2) You forsake the storyline, and permit yourself to interact and communicate with the other people in the game without fear of forcing one's own activities involving somehow being the world's amazing, epic savior to us all on other people. It isn't like you will miss out on opportunities of great character development, or even amazing stories or experiences by doing this. Sometimes you make your own.

This definitely does strike me as a very rude resolution to people who would like to do this. There is a third option which you don't seem to want to acknowledge: if an RPer RPs as a character in a canon RP LS, and makes an effort to keep these side activities secret or otherwise not bring them up when they interact with non-canon-RPers. If someone RPs their character in such a way to not bring such matters into question, where is your issue? You'd be choosing to not RP with someone on the entire basis that out-of-character you have decided you don't like their other RP activities

Satisiun Wrote:And one counter-argument I can see being made is, "Well, what if my character never speaks of it?" To that I say ...

... c'mon. Really? You nor anyone in your band will ever talk of the epic, melodramatic, bard's tale-worthy events that you are partaking in? That just won't fly, barring you're a mute. Undecided

Not that hard to do. My whole RP LS in XI has managed this. The game doesn't treat you like much of a hero in XI for doing all the things you do, NPCs seem largely unaware of your activities. It really isn't all that difficult. For example, to not discuss the ending of the Rise of the Zilart plotline, we (IC) decided that
Show Content
It requires some creativity but honestly, if someone finds a way to do it, so that it doesn't interfere at all with your RP, again, who are you to say they shouldn't be allowed to RP with non-canon-RPers. If the only thing that is keeping them away from RPing with you is things that they do outside of your personal IC interactions with them, you are basically choosing to just exclude them for OOC info you have on them and not because of anything they actually did to you.

Re: Persistent RP parties - Satisiun - 09-25-2010

Avina Wrote:10-car-sized pileup of words.

Yeah, um. Though I didn't respond to anything after that post, with the exception of just a playful response to Asyria? I had already agreed and found both respectable and brilliant the further plannings and ideas that had been made by the original maker of this thread. 10 days ago.

So. Yeah. Apologies, and I mean no disrespect, but I pretty much put my thoughts to bed a while ago and won't be taking time to respond thoroughly to your rebuttal. I just wouldn't have anything else to say beyond what I just said: The compromise that was come up with already was a good one; I just never got around to responding, is all.