Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP and Theology - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP and Theology (/showthread.php?tid=45)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: RP and Theology - Aveline - 03-30-2010

Interesting thing just came up in my Greek lit class. The primary Olympian gods/goddesses numbered 12 in total, and in daily Greek life it was common to say "By the Twelve!" as in "I swear by the Twelve, I didn't steal your sheep, Amenekos!"

Did anyone's characters swear by any deities in XI? Do you plan to in XIV?

My character Niami was raised in Mhaura, around sailors so she would always say "Altana's tits!" when something surprised or amazed her. Big Grin

Re: RP and Theology - Mho - 03-30-2010

I had a throwaway Sin Hunter character who'd mutter curses under her breath in Old Mithran when she was annoyed, most of which were made-up sufficiently guttural words. I usually had a rough idea of what they meant in case anyone asked, but many of them were 'swearing by the land' sort of. The few she got asked about meant things like "land-canker."

I also have a hot-tempered healer who sometimes (rarely) curses up a storm. "Prom" as a vulgar slang shortening for Promathia figures into her cursing a fair amount, she's said things like "Prom's chains!" when venting exasperation. She tries to avoid swearing by Altana, because her boyfriend is religious and frowns on blasphemy, but "Etna" as an irreverent shortening of Altana has slipped out once or twice too. :oops:

Re: RP and Theology - Eva - 03-31-2010

My character on FFXI was extremely religious, to the point of refusing to even speak Altana's name, feeling it blasphemous. Sure, it slipped a few times when he was angry or shocked, but he had always regarded her as the goddess, or the dawn goddess.

Towards the end of my time RPing him, he began to regard Altana less and less, instead taking on a more abstract worship of the sky itself - often talking about its moods, emotions, and misgivings. I figure if there is a god or goddess of the sky in FFXIV, than Kes's father will probably be a devout worshipper. Otherwise he will probably just continue to regard the sky as something sacred.

As for Kes, there's a very good chance she may be atheist. I've still got a few ideas bouncing around in my head, but I want to know more about these deities and the rest of the lore before I make any final decisions on that front.

Re: RP and Theology - Nanapariri - 04-18-2010

Well some of mine would use "Goddess" or "Altana" and one would say "By the Goddess". My favorite was an expression another player made up and most adopted though. "Bloody Chains" or "Chains" which was a shortened version of "By Promathia's Chains".

I think I'm going on the Ancient Greek model and using "By the Twelve" and maybe something relating to the patron god I go with. I still feel this religious system is based off the Greek. The more I read the more I feel of it.

Re: RP and Theology - Varov - 04-20-2010

With 14, My character will definately be going along with the Goddess of Navigation. I haven't really considered how he would react theologically, but I feel like he would react more supersticiously than religiously or piously. Offering up something to the wind and the water before sailing - etc.

As for the actual name of the Goddess, he'd probably curse up a storm with a nice little addition about "Llymlaen's fins!" or what have you. He's generally insulting to everyone, so...

Re: RP and Theology - Zhavi - 04-20-2010

If I do wind up playing a keeper she'll undoubtedly be stuck on the Lover, so it's likely when very frustrated she'd snap out something like, "By one and eleven, that is enough!"

She'd be moderately pious (if rather irreverent) so she'd be more likely to curse by what the gods are known for than by names. Things like "Navigator save you." Or perhaps, "Fate-weaver stake you to rot!" or "Lover bless."

And as I familiarize myself with them there'll be more, but it's far more likely my char will be using one or two epithets commonly rather than many.

Re: RP and Theology - Nanapariri - 04-26-2010

I like your idea Brisa because it does fit a polytheistic model where one god is seen as responsible for a certain thing.

I'm thinking most likely in this world view a person would swear or devote most time to thier patron but when faced with a particuliar problem would invoke the patron god of an activity.

"By the twelve" might come out when one wants to make the largest most pronounced point. You're not just invoking one god but all. lol.

Re: RP and Theology - Aveline - 04-26-2010

"Thal's balls" is commonly said around Limsa Lominsa LOL

Re: RP and Theology - Menoe Valkyria - 05-17-2010

Mythis Wrote:Interesting thing just came up in my Greek lit class. The primary Olympian gods/goddesses numbered 12 in total, and in daily Greek life it was common to say "By the Twelve!" as in "I swear by the Twelve, I didn't steal your sheep, Amenekos!"

Did anyone's characters swear by any deities in XI? Do you plan to in XIV?

My character Niami was raised in Mhaura, around sailors so she would always say "Altana's tits!" when something surprised or amazed her. Big Grin

Endinka did. If you made her angry you could often hear her saying "Great Goddess" or "For goddesse sake" or" I swear by Altana" thought I think i recall her using the first two the most. I'm sure her cousin would have scolded her if she had ever herd Endi saying those things; since her cousin was a priestess afterall. XD

Re: RP and Theology - DAISHI - 06-17-2010

A desert culture of nomads? What crazy nonsense. Big Grin