Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Discussion] RP Racism? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [Discussion] RP Racism? (/showthread.php?tid=19475)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: RP Racism? - ckingch - 05-25-2017

Those dang knife eared dhalmels in Ishgard and Gridania.

RE: RP Racism? - QalliFlower - 05-26-2017

(05-21-2017, 10:56 AM)Valic Wrote: So I've seen a couple ideas like this thrown around from time to time and I was curious how they go about it. Like do we have any NPC's that make racist remarks based on you being miqo'te or something? Also are there any particular remarks or stereotypes people use? I'm a lil uncomfortable asking this personally but I got curious one day what people could think of that is considered offensive towards an au ra, a roe, or miqo'te etc.

When it comes to in-game examples, this is the most specific I've found.

Show Content

RE: RP Racism? - Arashin Kujqai - 05-26-2017

That's it huh... They don't really stretch too far it seems lol.

My exposure to the game's content is far from complete but yes, while race relations are definitely a theme of the game it isn't laid on terribly thick.

What I found interesting was in the ACN story, where your first big antagonist is a Roegadyn who utterly terrorizes your Miqo'te colleague.  IIRC he never made a dig at her race specifically, but focused more on her being small and weak and not in charge.  He likely had less reason to think or care about race than the NPC quoted earlier (a Wildwood member of the Archers' Guild who wanted to keep his craft "pure").

RE: RP Racism? - Valence - 05-26-2017

While the archer questline goes a great length to portray the underlying racism between gridanians aimed at miqo'te, I don't think Silvairre is a great example in himself, because all his posturing is bloated and over exaggerated, since he actually hides a lot of his feelings behind that, where all his hatred is actually directed at himself, though if you want to know more, I strongly advise you to go on ahead and see why it is so. I don't want to spoil anything with that character. It's true though, that he was probably full of prejudices before, and thus why he relies on them, but that's what makes me say that his forceful, over the top antics are probably not the best reflection of the reality. I think if you want to really read under the lines in that quest, it's best to listen to what Leih Aliapoh has to say on the matter.

For the ACN questline, the motivations of that specific roegadyn pirate are probably aimed at a position of power and domination from his part yes, but it's not so much directed at her size rather than her past that involves... him too. Likewise, it's explained near the end of the questline.

(05-26-2017, 12:58 PM)Valence Wrote: While the archer questline goes a great length to portray the underlying racism between gridanians aimed at miqo'te, I don't think Silvairre is a great example in himself, because all his posturing is bloated and over exaggerated, since he actually hides a lot of his feelings behind that, where all his hatred is actually directed at himself, though if you want to know more, I strongly advise you to go on ahead and see why it is so. I don't want to spoil anything with that character. It's true though, that he was probably full of prejudices before, and thus why he relies on them, but that's what makes me say that his forceful, over the top antics are probably not the best reflection of the reality. I think if you want to really read under the lines in that quest, it's best to listen to what Leih Aliapoh has to say on the matter.

For the ACN questline, the motivations of that specific roegadyn pirate are probably aimed at a position of power and domination from his part yes, but it's not so much directed at her size rather than her past that involves... him too. Likewise, it's explained near the end of the questline.

These are all good points.  I was mostly aiming to answer the OP's question of "what would a racist character say to a Miqo'te" and also emphasize that such attitudes aren't strictly a "bad guy" thing.

If the aim is for the OP's character to have faced racism as part of his background, it seems like the choices are either an extreme case like Silvairre (whose underlying motivations might or might not be explained) or the more subtle "microaggression" type talked about earlier in this thread.  That's an argument based purely on what's in the game, though - players write their characters and NPCs how they will, and that affects our IC experiences as much as backstory does.

RE: RP Racism? - Rosekitten - 05-26-2017

Not sure if it was mentioned and I don't have time to read through all the posts. It also can depend on the area said character is from. Like if they hail from ishgard they may take offense to something different than if the character hailed from Limsa or Uld. 

I can't think of any examples from quests at the moment but I know there was a fair bit of them. Some areas of course had them more out in the open per say than others. Like saying that a ishgardian is related or in relations to a dragon was more or less fighting words as far as I became aware in the story. 

I do remember the lancer quest line it ended or near the end dealt with a duskwight that was pretty stereotypical of what I guess most expect from the duskies? I don't remember the details to great length as it's been a few years when I last completed the quest line...I do remember the npc bringing up something about people would have pointed the finger at him regardless or something like that..long story short and my lack of details here... because he was a duskie he would have been blamed for whatever action had taken place.

RE: RP Racism? - Arashin Kujqai - 05-26-2017

Also just to clarify, I don't plan to use any of this for my char XD. I was just curious how some people went about it and what I could expect in terms of it on the receiving end if I ever RP'd with someone that does.

RE: RP Racism? - PSDuckie - 05-26-2017

Tyll'a, for one, hates Garleans.  Although that's a bit fair, as his sister died at Carteneau.  But still, he's much more likely to draw his blades against a Garlean than he is to talk to one.

That said, there is one ex-Garlean that he considers a friend.

RE: RP Racism? - Yian Kutku - 05-27-2017

There's also the possibility of... I'm not sure whether it's still considered straight-up racism, but it's definitely some sort of prejudice.

Specifically, instead of being racist against Elezen or Miqo'te or Au Ra, one might instead discriminate against Gridanians, or Ishgardians, or Ul'dahns. We've all heard the generalizations of "all Ul'dahns are money-grubbing", or "all Limsans are pirates", or the somewhat ironic "all Ishgardians are xenophobic".

I was thinking about this mostly with regards to my Sharlayan-origin character, and the dim view the Old Sharlayans have against Eorzeans. The Sharlayan stereotype is to dismiss Eorzeans as uncivilized savages, which strikes me as having the same thought-space as racism, even if Eorzeans come in all sorts of races and cultures.

RE: RP Racism? - LiadansWhisper - 05-27-2017

There's a scene that takes place in front of...I think it's the Lancer building? Between some Wildwood Wailers and a Duskwight. It's pretty terrible.

RE: RP Racism? - Narissis - 05-30-2017

(05-27-2017, 01:17 AM)Yian Kutku Wrote: I was thinking about this mostly with regards to my Sharlayan-origin character, and the dim view the Old Sharlayans have against Eorzeans. The Sharlayan stereotype is to dismiss Eorzeans as uncivilized savages, which strikes me as having the same thought-space as racism, even if Eorzeans come in all sorts of races and cultures.

As far as I can tell, Sharlayan and Garlemald are similar in that respect... Sharlayan is the enlightened magic civilization that pities Eorzea for its lesser arcane advancement, and Garlemald is the enlightened technology civilization that pities Eorzea for its lesser scientific advancement.

Obviously, the foreign policy of the two is, on the other hand, diametrically opposed. Sharlayan be like "we're the magic master race so we're just gonna isolate ourselves from the dirty less-magic peasants" while Garlemald be like "we're the tech master race so we're gonna 'enlighten' the luddite peasants whether they like it or not".

(05-27-2017, 01:41 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: There's a scene that takes place in front of...I think it's the Lancer building?  Between some Wildwood Wailers and a Duskwight.  It's pretty terrible.

There's also a little vignette at Buscarron's Druthers where a drunk patron assails a Duskwight in the yard.

RE: RP Racism? - Valence - 10-31-2017

Necroing that thread because I eventually ended up going through the SB Bard quests. That are about the Autumn War.

So the WW2 comparison wasn't that poor actually (although in the case of Eorzea it seems to have stuck way longer). It seems to be rather similar, where mostly old Gridanian people and a nationalistic fringe still clings to loathing Ala Migho, but aside from those, vindicative feelings seem to have mostly vanished to make way for the more modern Eorzean Alliance, and helping in the liberation of Ala Migho. 

Without spoiling, it is however mentioned that a specific buried secret could change drastically the view of all gridanians if it was to be unearthed. So... the Autumn War scars are still healing apparently.

[Image: USA8KPK.png]

[Image: QzaVOU2.png]

RE: RP Racism? - Staccato - 11-01-2017

One thing to caution people about when things such as racism and/or nationalism comes up in rp is to be concious of creating situations that can end up crossing the IC/OOC line, even if its not intended.  

For example, my character, a hyur, one day was hanging out at an rp event with some new friends that she had made.  Unfortunately, the chat scroll can make it difficult for me to keep up sometimes, and so i missed many of the comments made by one friend, a miqo, because I was trying hard to focus on another conversation.   

Once things had cleared a little at the event, the new miqo friend asked my character about how she felt about her "midlander privelege".  At the time, the question absolutely floored me and made me pretty uncomfortable OOC, and I was left wondering what my character had done.  Upon reflection, it could have been an opportunity for character growth, but it really had taken me by surprise. 

After an OOC conversation with the characters player,  i better understood how and why that comment had come up ICly fron their perspective.  Admittedly I did not agree with all of their points at the time,  and some I still question,  but I do better now see their points.  

Yet still, part of me is a bit anxious about attending large events where I know there will be a ton of chat scroll, because chances are I will miss something someone says and that could heavily affect how my character is viewed henceforth, in a way I didn't want or didn't intend.

RE: RP Racism? - Kieron Lohengrin - 11-02-2017

(11-01-2017, 12:33 PM)Staccato Wrote: "midlander privelege"

I play a Highlander and that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard

You would've been well within your rights to instablacklist tbh