Hydaelyn Role-Players
Is it considered "weird" to play a Miqo'te? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Is it considered "weird" to play a Miqo'te? (/showthread.php?tid=18500)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Is it considered "weird" to play a Miqo'te? - Raeje - 02-10-2017

I'm of the same view as everyone else. Race doesn't matter, it's what you feel your character belongs as that matters. If you're feeling a little unsure about playing "another cutesy cat girl", don't be. Although there are those few players who see cattes as nothing more than the race of those who want to be all cute, sexy, and adorable, that's not true. I know a hell of a lot of extremely well played Miq'ote, who leave that cuteness behind, even though they are the stereotypical sexy race. So go ahead and play the race. If you want to play a sexy Miq'ote, go for it, because it's your character, so you can play it however you like. If you don't want to go down the cute route, and want to avoid all of that stereotypical stuff, go the complete opposite way. Sure, there may still be people who say you're weird, or whatever, but ultimately, it's your character. Don't let others decide how you play them, or what race you chose to be.

RE: Is it considered "weird" to play a Miqo'te? - Edda - 02-10-2017

(02-08-2017, 03:39 PM)Drej Wrote: I've decided to Fantasia my main character into a Seeker of the Moon. She was previously a Roegadyn, then an Elezen, and briefly a Hyur, but my brain and I have finally settled on the fact that her, erm, brusque personality would work fine on a Miqo'te.

Persistent fantasia usage is far more likely to weird people out than just another miqo'te.

I'm not accusing you of anything, obviously it's fine if you wanted to mess around with the different races before settling on one you really wanted to play. Just something to keep in mind.

RE: Is it considered "weird" to play a Miqo'te? - C'kayah Polaali - 02-13-2017

If you enjoy the race, then play one. I've played Miqo'te for years, and I've enjoyed the hell out of them.

I am curious about the misconception "Miqo'te are by far the most popular race", though. Maybe on Balmung, I suppose, but if you look at the NA and EU servers as a population, they're about as popular as Hyur. If you look at all the servers, Hyur edge them out (on Japanese servers, according to the 2016 census, Hyurs tie with Lalas as the most popular race!)

I think people tend not to notice Hyurs. Miqo'te stand out. Ears and tails. Ears and tails.

RE: Is it considered "weird" to play a Miqo'te? - sersi - 02-13-2017

i've actually noticed they seem to have diminished - when played pre-HW most areas were an ocean of cat-folk (On Balmung) - I left for a time and came back and now the races seem a bit more proportioned.

RE: Is it considered "weird" to play a Miqo'te? - Nero - 02-13-2017

Statistically speaking, Miqo'te and Hyur make up the bulk of the player (and by extension, roleplayer) population, which means that statistically, the chances of a "weird" roleplayer being a Miqo'te are relatively high, hence the stigma. It's basically just a cognitive bias.

RE: Is it considered "weird" to play a Miqo'te? - Drej - 02-16-2017

(02-10-2017, 07:32 PM)Edda Wrote:
(02-08-2017, 03:39 PM)Drej Wrote: I've decided to Fantasia my main character into a Seeker of the Moon. She was previously a Roegadyn, then an Elezen, and briefly a Hyur, but my brain and I have finally settled on the fact that her, erm, brusque personality would work fine on a Miqo'te.

Persistent fantasia usage is far more likely to weird people out than just another miqo'te.

I'm not accusing you of anything, obviously it's fine if you wanted to mess around with the different races before settling on one you really wanted to play. Just something to keep in mind.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely aware of how weird that can be. I wasn't actually in the roleplaying scene during the time of all the fantasia-ing, so I think the only confusing thing was temporarily having my Hyur running around with a Roe name until I got paid that week.

RE: Is it considered "weird" to play a Miqo'te? - The Glowing Onyx - 02-19-2017

Everyone is just another <race> until they bring them to life.

So, by the very fact that you intend to roleplay, you aren't "just another" anything. Smile

Make what you enjoy and you'll forget all about those criticisms because you'll be too busy roleplaying.

RE: Is it considered "weird" to play a Miqo'te? - Kang - 02-25-2017

People that go out of their way to be different, just for the sake of being different, and criticize other people for liking something that's popular, are every bit as bad as people that go out of their way to jump on bandwagons and criticize other people for being different. In fact, they might just be a little worse IMO because they honestly should know better.
I'll give an example. I play Star Wars: The Old Republic. My main is a Jedi Knight. Heroic, soft-spoken, good with a lightsaber, has an evil Sith twin brother. My friend plays a Smuggler, born on Corellia (for those who aren't familiar with Star Wars, the famous Smuggler from the movies, Han Solo, was also born on Corellia), is a hotshot pilot and a major flirt. Both of our characters share several common tropes with our classes and archetypes.

We've met a few people in our time with the game who would constantly shrug off certain ideas for stories or characters because "blah blah someone's done it before." These people would go out of their way with characters and even styles of dress, just for the sake of being "original" in their minds.

As much as my friend and I will try to add unique flairs to our characters when we can, we will not apologize for how "unoriginal" or overplayed our characters are. For two reasons:

A) Part of SW's charm from the beginning was its tribute to familiar archetypes. 

And more importantly:

B) These are the characters that speak to us the most. They're the ones we are the most passionate about playing and writing about, and we like them just the way they are. Whether other people play similar characters doesn't change that fact.

tl;dr Play what you like. If Miqo'te is the race that makes the most sense to you then that's what you should be playing. What matters is you've created the character that can bring the passion of RPing out of you the most. If someone wants to criticize you for being unoriginal, they're probably not someone you want to be RPing with anyway.

RE: Is it considered "weird" to play a Miqo'te? - Parth Makeo - 02-25-2017

(02-25-2017, 06:30 AM)Kang Wrote: People that go out of their way to be different, just for the sake of being different, and criticize other people for liking something that's popular, are every bit as bad as people that go out of their way to jump on bandwagons and criticize other people for being different. In fact, they might just be a little worse IMO because they honestly should know better.
I'll give an example. I play Star Wars: The Old Republic. My main is a Jedi Knight. Heroic, soft-spoken, good with a lightsaber, has an evil Sith twin brother. My friend plays a Smuggler, born on Corellia (for those who aren't familiar with Star Wars, the famous Smuggler from the movies, Han Solo, was also born on Corellia), is a hotshot pilot and a major flirt. Both of our characters share several common tropes with our classes and archetypes.

We've met a few people in our time with the game who would constantly shrug off certain ideas for stories or characters because "blah blah someone's done it before." These people would go out of their way with characters and even styles of dress, just for the sake of being "original" in their minds.

As much as my friend and I will try to add unique flairs to our characters when we can, we will not apologize for how "unoriginal" or overplayed our characters are. For two reasons:

A) Part of SW's charm from the beginning was its tribute to familiar archetypes. 

And more importantly:

B) These are the characters that speak to us the most. They're the ones we are the most passionate about playing and writing about, and we like them just the way they are. Whether other people play similar characters doesn't change that fact.

And this is a problem I hardly see in final fantasy (maybe because I too try to be original but not that hard)
If people want to play archetypes or be unoriginal then to me that's more dedication. As a writer, there are many ways you can write the 'heroic, soft spoken' Jedi knight in universe. Maybe his origin is nothing special but an approachable slate is better to rp with than someone who has carved in it.

If people have an issue with you playing the archetypes then they need to relearn what makes a character. Boring characters even have fun moments. Even if a story seems rehashed or done before, the contents are what make it. Anyone can write Mario saving the princess but look how many times its happened, and one time, Bowser joins you in your quest with peach!

I've joked before about this but if I ever see someone playing a character named Average Joe and he was just that in RP, i would love that person forever.