Hydaelyn Role-Players
How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') (/showthread.php?tid=11487)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - ZacharyVolfire - 05-06-2015

Usually  I try to keep to lore as accurately as possible but i also allow freedom of evolution so to speak?

My usaul argument for lore breakers depend on what they do.

If its: I don't like this part of lore cause its stupid or wont fit my character. - then I'm sorry but youll either need to make your character fit or try to find another bit of lore that can.

If its: I based "this part" on the lore but also thought if I did this it fit/ -oh ! tha'ts a great idea!! also what if this this this could happen based on that fact? * goes and invites other's to discuss*

We're all human so if we try alittle bit we can probably get alogn and work out differences and what not.

Summary on Roleplaying with lore
In our real world we are filled with infinite possibilities. If a Blind man can climb Mt. Everest. A small village turn into a metropolis. Etc. Etc.

If a character challenges or messes with the lore abit who are we to straight up say "That's not right." Its their character for a reason. Now if they god mod or become nigh indestructible correct them tell them why they're too 'op' or bending the rules only in their favor.

Myself as an example. When experience a new universe in a game. I always put my self in it first. It's egotistical but i want to imagine what kind of life I lived if i was in this world. Would i have the same hobbies. Would I have the same interest? Would I pursue a easy life or go through strife i have known before.If someone tells me No you can't do that that's impossible? How would my race, skin color, ideals, height, weight ,and even mroe factors play with the lore standpoints and work i need. I'd ask why ot better understand what i may be doing wrong and better my self.? we as humans(and other*) Are sentient and can learn can change and evolve. Whoever harassed you had no right too. All I can say is try to settle it with a open mind and they still refute or harrass you. Have a monk German Suplex them.

...and sorry for the long post.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - McBeefâ„¢ - 05-06-2015

(05-05-2015, 10:24 PM)Edgar Wrote:
(05-05-2015, 02:41 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: For example, over a year ago, me and some friends went out to see the Grindstone, wearing Flame overcoat gear. Some dude comes along and in-characted declares we're 'pretenders' for wearing the overcoats outside city walls. Like, not real Flames, or some shit. I called him out for that BS in /tells, but he proceeded to dismiss me and shut me down by insisting it was all in-character and I was making it out-of-character...utter bullshit, of course. By its passive-aggressive wording IC, it was clearly designed as a meta-assault on me and my friends' RP.

I had the same experience as Koporo roleplaying a Sultansworn and I swear to god the way this attack went down you and I encountered the same fucking person.

Generally with R'elend, I'll send a tell OOC to see if they're going to play along.

When I play with him in the Quicksand breaking up fights and such, I'll tell them something like, "I intend to have R'elend detain and remove you from this situation, you will have options for what happens after."

If people are like 'fuk u' then I just won't do it.

To me starting a fight in the quicksand (Or anywhere in Ul'dah) and having the blades show up, is kind of a privilege. I'm adding immersion to your RP!

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Qhora Bajihri - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 12:09 PM)Gegenji Wrote: My big issue comes when they try to involve some of my other friends, who might not be so open to such things. How does everyone else handle that sort of thing? You're dealing with an... odd situation that you're relatively okay with, and then they want to bring a friend of yours?

I had some issues like that in WoW, since I'm also a roll-with-it kind of person. I'd end up being friends with a smattering of individuals outside the "group" so to say because I'd indulge their powerplays, and because I was happy to have my character "lose" to make them happy and keep their story going. Meanwhile, those "inside" the group would constantly ask me why I even spoke to this person, or warn me that I should stay away from them as much as possible.

It was all sorts of unpleasant and awkward for me trying to play diplomat. I ended up just keeping the friendships separate to try and keep both groups as such happy. I'd do little one-on-one scenes with the powerplayers, maybe even forum stories, but if they asked if anyone else I knew might like to join in, I'd make excuses rather than go where I knew they weren't wanted and avoid conflict.

Don't have that problem in FFXIV, but I keep to myself much much more than I did back then.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Gegenji - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 12:55 PM)Qhora Bajihri Wrote: It was all sorts of unpleasant and awkward for me trying to play diplomat. I ended up just keeping the friendships separate to try and keep both groups as such happy. I'd do little one-on-one scenes with the powerplayers, maybe even forum stories, but if they asked if anyone else I knew might like to join in, I'd make excuses rather than go where I knew they weren't wanted and avoid conflict.

So basically more or less what I did... good to know. I definitely feel like I'm playing diplomat at times, hearing one side complain about the other. And yet, here I am playing with both and I like to think that I'm enjoying myself with all of them? Sad

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Desu Nee - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 01:07 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(05-06-2015, 12:55 PM)Qhora Bajihri Wrote: It was all sorts of unpleasant and awkward for me trying to play diplomat. I ended up just keeping the friendships separate to try and keep both groups as such happy. I'd do little one-on-one scenes with the powerplayers, maybe even forum stories, but if they asked if anyone else I knew might like to join in, I'd make excuses rather than go where I knew they weren't wanted and avoid conflict.

So basically more or less what I did... good to know. I definitely feel like I'm playing diplomat at times, hearing one side complain about the other. And yet, here I am playing with both and I like to think that I'm enjoying myself with all of them? Sad
A fact of life is that sometimes, only because two people are friends with you, doesn't necessarily mean they will be friends with each other. Honestly, in this case, I'm the one who's winning, since I'm having the most fun, and that's what counts, really.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Nero - 05-06-2015

I'm a very firm believer in the idea that anyone who goes on the Internet has an obligation to become their own filter. Ignore the bits you don't like, pick out the parts that you do. If you see something you don't like, pay it no mind and move on, which is exactly what I do. Powerplayers, absurd lore breakers, people ICly calling my character out for bullshit reasons, whatever you can think of. They are perfectly free to play whatever character they want however they'd like, in the same way that I am perfectly free to retcon them out of existence for my own convenience and sanity.

You could make the reasonable argument that this is exceptionally close-minded of me, and that by doing this I am removing the arguably most intriguing part of online role play--that is, new situations emerging and new characters spontaneously making themselves known, forcing me to adapt and improvise. You wouldn't be wrong. That said, I'm a working adult. I consider my time to be quite valuable. I have better things to do than wasting seconds of my life acknowledging or dismissing the latest half-primal son of Bahamut or Alphinaud's ex-boyfriend or the secret black ops assassin of the Scions whose name is only written in the margins of discarded middle school lab notebooks or outdated issues of The Punisher.

At one point I used to be more than willing to give people the benefit of the doubt and to roll with the punches--however, years and years on the Internet has taught me that there is absolutely no quality control, and that if you give an inch of exception, people will gleefully take a mile. So at the most, I'll humour them with one or two superficial sentences of affirmation or vaguely apathetic brushing-off and then continue on my merry way.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - TheLastCandle - 05-06-2015

I tend to quietly ignore it and don't go out of my way to roleplay with the person. I don't generally blacklist anyone based upon their roleplay. To me, when you blacklist someone, you're saying, "This is a person who has absolutely nothing of value to say in any aspect of the game that I participate in." And I find that rather harsh, frankly. I may not choose to include your half-dragon half-Esper who traveled from the world of FFVI after being hit with an X-Zone spell in my character's roleplay, but I might run dungeons or PvP with you.

My blacklist is reserved for RMT's and people who are blatant jerkwards OOC.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Meena - 05-06-2015

I excuse myself swiftly from the conversation and inwardly swear at the lore breaking commencing. Surprisingly, i've only met a few people all from the same guild who are all especially good at running with the lore in the opposite, non appropriate way.

I tend to be rather picky at the end of it. @_@;

PleasenodomanelezenninjasfromahyurfamilyEveninthelondonfanfestthedevssaidDomawasHyurandYugirirace.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Zhavi - 05-06-2015

(05-06-2015, 01:22 PM)Nero Wrote: I'm a very firm believer in the idea that anyone who goes on the Internet has an obligation to become their own filter. Ignore the bits you don't like, pick out the parts that you do. If you see something you don't like, pay it no mind and move on, which is exactly what I do. Powerplayers, absurd lore breakers, people ICly calling my character out for bullshit reasons, whatever you can think of. They are perfectly free to play whatever character they want however they'd like, in the same way that I am perfectly free to retcon them out of existence for my own convenience and sanity.

You could make the reasonable argument that this is exceptionally close-minded of me, and that by doing this I am removing the arguably most intriguing part of online role play--that is, new situations emerging and new characters spontaneously making themselves known, forcing me to adapt and improvise. You wouldn't be wrong. That said, I'm a working adult. I consider my time to be quite valuable. I have better things to do than wasting seconds of my life acknowledging or dismissing the latest half-primal son of Bahamut or Alphinaud's ex-boyfriend or the secret black ops assassin of the Scions whose name is only written in the margins of discarded middle school lab notebooks or outdated issues of The Punisher.

At one point I used to be more than willing to give people the benefit of the doubt and to roll with the punches--however, years and years on the Internet has taught me that there is absolutely no quality control, and that if you give an inch of exception, people will gleefully take a mile. So at the most, I'll humour them with one or two superficial sentences of affirmation or vaguely apathetic brushing-off and then continue on my merry way.

This is pretty much how I operate. Ain't nobody got time for that shit!

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - KitKat - 05-07-2015

I skipped to the end of this thread when I read that people still have a problem with someone bending a little bit of the lore to play one of the ten jobs SE provided us with. Who gives a damn if someone wants to play a White Mage? Why should their RP be less valid than the person who plays a monk or a paladin? Maybe I don't want to play those classes.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Seriphyn - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 01:45 AM)KitKat Wrote: I skipped to the end of this thread when I read that people still have a problem with someone bending a little bit of the lore to play one of the ten jobs SE provided us with. Who gives a damn if someone wants to play a White Mage? Why should their RP be less valid than the person who plays a monk or a paladin? Maybe I don't want to play those classes.

Because my particular interpretation of the lore doesn't make room for the idea that PCs can be white mages (though I haven't actually encountered white mages in-character yet, nor would Kale really know what they are).

I'm not going to start shit over it, so likewise, I shouldn't expect to have a different interpretation of the lore forced on me where PCs -are- allowed to be white mages.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - ArmachiA - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 01:51 AM)Seriphyn Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 01:45 AM)KitKat Wrote: I skipped to the end of this thread when I read that people still have a problem with someone bending a little bit of the lore to play one of the ten jobs SE provided us with. Who gives a damn if someone wants to play a White Mage? Why should their RP be less valid than the person who plays a monk or a paladin? Maybe I don't want to play those classes.

Because my particular interpretation of the lore doesn't make room for the idea that PCs can be white mages (though I haven't actually encountered white mages in-character yet, nor would Kale really know what they are).

I'm not going to start shit over it, so likewise, I shouldn't expect to have a different interpretation of the lore forced on me where PCs -are- allowed to be white mages.

Bingo.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - KitKat - 05-07-2015

And once again, this "community" proves that it's not actually a community at all. Real proud of you.

Mod note by FreelanceWizard: User was warned for this post (section 1, minor, intentionally provocative in a negative manner). Again, refute a point if you like, but content-free snipes are not permitted.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Cato - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 02:32 AM)KitKat Wrote: And once again, this "community" proves that it's not actually a community at all. Real proud of you.

You've already admitted to not reading through the entirety of the thread and now you're just making vague passive aggressive statements that aren't really adding a whole lot to what has been a very civil and interesting debate.

I have to admit I'm not too sure what you want people to say. Everybody is entitled to role-play whatever they like - nobody is denying that right. Yet if such a right exists then it's only fair for people to have no obligation to acknowledge or accept anything they find to not align with their preferred style of role-play.

It's not 'mean' and it's hardly going to cause the community to crumble apart at the seams. 

As for me? I'm happy to role-play with pretty much anybody provided their character and role-play remains plausible. That's the key point for me - and in turn I'm perfectly happy for people to shun my own character for whatever reason they see fit.

RE: How to properly react to RP you don't like (or 'Punting the Puppy') - Edda - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 01:45 AM)KitKat Wrote: Who gives a damn if someone wants to play a White Mage?
No one, really.
(05-07-2015, 01:45 AM)KitKat Wrote: Why should their RP be less valid than the person who plays a monk or a paladin?
It's not!
(05-07-2015, 01:45 AM)KitKat Wrote: Maybe I don't want to play those classes.
And you don't have to!

The beauty of this "community," as you said, is that when so many people come together, obviously there are going to be disagreements and different interpretations of the lore. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure this happens in like every MMO to ever have an RP community, ever. I think it's a good thing, to have different opinions and stuff. Balmung is a huge server, so that's even better! If some people think that White Mage RP is a no-no... Fuck 'em! Who gives a damn about them? You have my guarantee there are just as many people on Balmung who are fine with the concept as there who are not. Find the ones who are, do what you enjoy and have fun!

Haters gonna hate, etc etc.