Hydaelyn Role-Players
"Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" (/showthread.php?tid=7495)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Griffith! - 07-17-2015

I barely know where to start, having never edited a wiki before. But if it's anything like the BBCode on forums I'll be okay.

...is it? Anything like BBCode?

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Xydane - 07-17-2015

(07-17-2015, 03:50 PM)Griffith! Wrote: I barely know where to start, having never edited a wiki before. But if it's anything like the BBCode on forums I'll be okay.

...is it? Anything like BBCode?

Yes, it is. You're just taking a template (you can make your own or use someone else's if they allow it, which is usually at the bottom of their Wiki page), and mashing up a lot of codes together. You'll be constantly previewing your Wiki page in order to edit and format it to your choosing.

It's not difficult really but just time consuming because you're editing a page to your style. I spent an day working on mine because I was editing colors, sections, and all that good stuff.

To start, simply go on the FFXIV Wiki page and on the top right portion is a "Log In" section. Simply log in using your Username and PW that you use to access the FFXIV HRC. I would suggest looking at other people's Wiki page for ideas and like I stated before, if they post that their template can be used.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-17-2015

Wiki code's....not too scary. It's basically shorthand for HTML code blocks, so you can use them interchangeably. (Don't mix wikitable code with regular <div> or <tr> tags though. ...it'll become suffering)

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - LadyRochester - 07-17-2015

Yeah... Especially since my "updates" lately tend to be rather half-assed.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Chris Ganale - 07-17-2015

(07-17-2015, 12:50 PM)Lilia Lia Wrote: (Edit) One thing I'd like to do is add more NPC rumours. Specific NPCs, like guildmasters or NPC vendors. I'm not sure whether or not that's really done though or considered appropriate.

Nothing wrong with that. My GF did that for a bunch of her characters, most notably Sabine Aislihn, who has interacted with the vast majority of the guildmasters due to at least poking at each of the crafts/gathers.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Jana - 07-17-2015

I couldn't figure out how to get a picture to show up in the morning so I gave up \(´・ω・`)/

I napped and ate so I'm giving it another try but still not having any success. How can I get an uploaded image (thissun) to show up in the wiki page?

(07-17-2015, 06:03 PM)Jana Wrote: I couldn't figure out how to get a picture to show up in the morning so I gave up \(´・ω・`)/

I napped and ate so I'm giving it another try but still not having any success. How can I get an uploaded image (thissun) to show up in the wiki page?

reference it with File:Ss%2B(2015-07-17%2Bat%2B04.51.40).jpg

If this is for the character infobox though, you only need to put the filename in.

...although, I'd suggest to rename and reupload if possible, so you have an easier time using it.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Jana - 07-17-2015

(07-17-2015, 06:18 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: If this is for the character infobox though, you only need to put the filename in.

Oh, that's what I was doing wrong.

I've got a basic page up now, you can see it here!

(07-17-2015, 06:47 PM)Jana Wrote:
(07-17-2015, 06:18 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: If this is for the character infobox though, you only need to put the filename in.

Oh, that's what I was doing wrong.

I've got a basic page up now, you can see it here!

Looks nice! If you've got formatting questions, lemme know and I can try to help out.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Viola - 07-17-2015

Yeah, I need to add alot of stuff for Viola, but I need a little bit of help with getting around to it. I lack reading comprehension sometimes.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Dante Abigor - 07-19-2015

I diiiiiiid iiiiiiiit!!! (a month or two ago. Now I gotta do it again ; )

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Kurt S. - 07-19-2015

Update? Haha I havent even really started on most of the wikis to my 4 ;n;

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - banndsand - 07-19-2015

I still need to create one for one of my characters, though I'm waiting until I've figured out which direction I will take her first. As for the other three, they're coming along slowly... Very slowly.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Paradox - 07-20-2015

I sometimes want to make a wiki. I have one started. Sort of. Well, finish the one I'm working on. I just..ugh. It seems like a lot of work for something that I wonder if people will even pay attention to, or I worry about it becoming metagame information for someone trying to start nonsense, so every time I want to work on it, I end up going 'bleeegh'. It's also a case of /effort a lot of the time.

RE: "Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki" - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-20-2015

(07-20-2015, 03:58 AM)A Wrote: I sometimes want to make a wiki. I have one started. Sort of. Well, finish the one I'm working on. I just..ugh. It seems like a lot of work for something that I wonder if people will even pay attention to, or I worry about it becoming metagame information for someone trying to start nonsense, so every time I want to work on it, I end up going 'bleeegh'. It's also a case of /effort a lot of the time.

I see people bring up the "metagaming" issue of having a wiki a little too often when there's a REALLY easy solution to it. If there's info you wouldn't want someone to know, don't put it there. A few people I know basically just have a small bio, picture of their character and maybe a acquaintances/rumors section. Stuff that people could pick up on if they were wandering around or looking to RP with a given character.

I also know others who have a designated "RP Hooks" section. (because I copied the idea from someone else).