Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Balmung] Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Making Connections (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Thread: [Balmung] Limsa Lominsa RP Connections (/showthread.php?tid=7584)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - Gar - 07-11-2014

[LO/LS/PS] XI:7

IC: XI:7 is a multi-faceted corporation living under the motto "Noblesse Oblige" or the obligation of those with power or influence to use it for the greater good. The ultimate goal is to bring the Seventh Dawn to the world, ushering in an age of peace. However, that goal is far from reach, so the company works to bring the world closer one day at a time. Needing resources to make a great change in the world, they are invested in manufacturing, transportation, research and development, and any other market they can use to invest in the realm.

OOC: Think ShinRa, but for the good guys. XI:7 is a very public company, so they work within the law and work to uphold the law, however I added in Predatory Society because they are aggressive in gaining territory of influence and doing what they can to gain more power. Some areas of the company works like a mafia because they believe in having the power for themselves so someone corruptible won't have it.

We are always happy to bring in new recruits, however we only bring people into the FC who maintain a level of appropriate behavior, both IC and OOC. We have no interest in becoming an overly large company, so we bring in those we can actually get to know and play alongside with.

Plot Rant: While our company can go a lot of different directions with plots and being involved with them, we have a couple of long-standing story arcs. The first is about a rival corporation named "Genesis." Genesis was created by a group of Ala Mhigan refugees and on the surface is a corporation similar to XI:7. However, the true goal is to lead the world into its own destruction, so that a new order can be built from scratch. They want to erase every race that is not Hyur and stop the use of magic so that there is an equality in the masses. They keep a clean record, so this plotline deals a lot with corporate espionage/warfare that happens beyond the public eye.

Another plotline is that of the Smiling Demon, an alias given to a man that travels the realm wearing a smiling mask. This man (or whatever he is) preys on those who have lost loved ones that they feel they cannot live without. Since the Calamity, there has been many he could reach out to. He strikes a deal with these broken hearted individuals in order to bring their loved ones back, however they are not as they once were. The plotline revolves around investigating the nature of this man's dark deals and finding a way to stop them all together.

I only rant about these because both could easily be opened up to involve more of the community. Now, I'm not saying "You should be interested in my plot!" I'm perfectly fine keeping the plots in house, however if there are those who want to jump in and play a part, I'm more than happy to oblige.

I also like the idea of more community-based plots, so if enough people get interested/involved, I'd happily help brainstorm and plan new plots for everyone to sink their teeth into.

RE: Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - Melodia - 07-11-2014

(07-10-2014, 07:59 PM)Zhavi Wrote: What we need:

A "local" hangout, so to speak, something that when people say "I'm having a hard time finding rp in Limsa" we can point out "oh, have you tried going to ____ ?"

This is something that will need to be developed organically as well as theoretically; we can posit places all day, but if no one actually goes there, it won't happen.  

One idea would be the Rum'n'Rumble, but the major drawback to that is that it's difficult for new rpers who aren't on the RPC to stumble across it, and would take rp away from the streets.  I'm not particularly fond of the Wench or Bismark, but there is that little gem tucked away next to the aftcastle: The Missing Member.  Major drawback?  It's cramped.  But it does feature balconies!

What about you guys?  What are your favorite places in Limsa to rp or, barring that, favorite places that you wish you could find more rp in?

Ideas

I love tossing ideas back and forth, so please do throw out some of your own!  Some very basic seeds I had in my head that could maybe develop into something greater:
  • Bounties
  • Treasure hunting (details would need to be ironed out, and someone would need to be willing to take helm, but it would be neat for there to be a pot at the end of the rainbow for those who find it)
  • Disappearances potentially tied in to some sort of magical whatsits.
  • Murdering something on the loose (would need someone to play the murdering something) -- double whammy: have the murdering something hanging out in revitalized hangout spot, and people need to figure out who and how.  Possibly allow for eventual capture + turning into authorities end in escape
  • Carnival.  Everyone loves carnivals, right?  Especially when they involve booze and wenches, yo ho!
  • Mysterious artifact with some sort of magical application that causes Negative Whatever that keeps popping up and disappearing.

So there you have it.  Suggestions, ideas, running wildly around shouting random things in the hopes that something sticks are welcome -- I'll take all of it.  Big Grin
The Member is good, but yeah, the space is tight. Though the little walkway outside and the balconies offer a bit of an open addition that would allow spillover of folks to chat there. I mean, the Quicksand really doesnt have a ton of space either to be honest, but folks have used the railing as a means to subsidize the seating or lack thereof. , and many just move outside to chat more anyway.

The Wench is good for a bar setting. I do like that, and the tables offer good intimate discussion settings, unless you are a Lalafell and then the space between the seats makes you feel like Bruce Wayne and Vicky Vale in the 1989 Batman movie. *waits for someone to know the scene I am referencing....long table? Bueller?*

The Bismarck would be better is it wasn't right there with the culinary guild. Frustrated

The docks are good for the shady types and I know we have used it. But not really a hub for folks. That's the trickiest part....so many good places once into the city, but a central spot for new folks and such is needed. Like the Anchor Yard, the Docks, the Aftcastle area, some areas tucked away like the Arcanist Guild lower level, etc. And I agree. The Rum n Rumble may be too out of the way for some folks who want to rp in town.

As for ideas? I'm always up for political intrigue and clashing dynamics in town. Criminals, Yellowjackets, the friggin' Maelstrom officers, Pirates and Smugglers? Surely these forces need to clash at some point. I am personally tweaking my alt, Melodia to use as a Yellowjacket within the city, so if anyone else wants to make an alt and join that'd be awesome. I'd love to hear from some of the different FCs and groups that have posted or SHOULD post. LOL! We need to get more input.

*Lala puts stepstool soapbox away and waits.*

RE: Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - ArmachiA - 07-11-2014

Let's use the Rum N Rumble!

(biased)

For serious though, I think the best way to shuffle RP would be somewhere prevalent - like the bars mentioned above - and use the RNR for events 0 like the Fight Club or Beach Parties) and for more private RP (Since it's a small house). We're still working on getting it set up, but once it is we'll start trying to shuffle people to it as well. For the "Big hotspot" the Member is my favorite spot. I really like it there even if it is small. I really like the Bismark too, it's like the only restaurant spot available in the game, I'd like to see it used more.

On Storylines, and I can't stress this enough, for now we need to stay away from FC storylines. If an FC came in and said "Well, lets get people involved in our storylines" it will make it seem like Limsa RP is pushing that particular FC. The last thing we want to do is play any kind of favorites while this is being set up. For now, I suggest very small introductory plotlines that anyone can get involved it and doesn't focus on one person/FC. It shouldn't be anything complicated and it would be good for those who want to help Limsa's RP issue to get together to come up with something.

Also, the Night Blades consider their home in Limsa, with most of it's contacts there. I just need to do a write up so you can add it to the list bllarrgg

(07-11-2014, 11:01 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: Let's use the Rum N Rumble!

(biased)

For serious though, I think the best way to shuffle RP would be somewhere prevalent - like the bars mentioned above - and use the RNR for events 0 like the Fight Club or Beach Parties) and for more private RP (Since it's a small house). We're still working on getting it set up, but once it is we'll start trying to shuffle people to it as well. For the "Big hotspot" the Member is my favorite spot. I really like it there even if it is small. I really like the Bismark too, it's like the only restaurant spot available in the game, I'd like to see it used more.

On Storylines, and I can't stress this enough, for now we need to stay away from FC storylines. If an FC came in and said "Well, lets get people involved in our storylines" it will make it seem like Limsa RP is pushing that particular FC. The last thing we want to do is play any kind of favorites while this is being set up. For now, I suggest very small introductory plotlines that anyone can get involved it and doesn't focus on one person/FC. It shouldn't be anything complicated and it would be good for those who want to help Limsa's RP issue to get together to come up with something.

Also, the Night Blades consider their home in Limsa, with most of it's contacts there. I just need to do a write up so you can add it to the list bllarrgg
Everything here= Yes! I think doing something similar story wise to what folks are doing in the Sands episodic thread, would be valuable. we have all the elements in place to make a very solid plotline. I think the key to setting up a good one is to make it general but allows itself to touch all the FCs and groups based in Limsa...that will allow them to feel the ties to the city more and attract folks to come to see what the hullabaloo (damn right I used that word. Laugh )  is all about.

RE: Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - Gar - 07-11-2014

(07-11-2014, 11:01 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: On Storylines, and I can't stress this enough, for now we need to stay away from FC storylines. If an FC came in and said "Well, lets get people involved in our storylines" it will make it seem like Limsa RP is pushing that particular FC. The last thing we want to do is play any kind of favorites while this is being set up. For now, I suggest very small introductory plotlines that anyone can get involved it and doesn't focus on one person/FC. It shouldn't be anything complicated and it would be good for those who want to help Limsa's RP issue to get together to come up with something.

I won't disagree with your overall point. My group and I are more than happy to participate/help with whatever it is the people want. Hell, I'm more than happy to just participate in something and have zero responsibility.

But I don't agree there is going to be any favoritism. This is a community project. From what I've seen, its about getting more RP going and more connections made. There doesn't have to be one storyline at a time. By that same argument we won't be able to use anyone's FC house because that would be pushing that FC. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here.

Keeping it vague and open has its definite perks, but whatever happens someone has to be writing the rules. RP doesn't have a natural order like the real world does. Even basic physics has to be agreed on by everyone involved. I don't care who or what it is, but there has to be a body making decisions.

Like Rurutani mentioned, it'd make sense to connect FCs ands groups to it alongside individual characters. So let's make peoples' houses RP spots and interconnect plotlines. I'm not going to worry about who's more popular, but what RP we can create for the community.

RE: Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - FreelanceWizard - 07-11-2014

I generally try to avoid both big "city-wide" plots, as well as law enforcement/player-run city RP. I've had and observed exceedingly bad experiences with both in the past, so I avoid them and the places where they take precedence over other types of RP. (This is just me speaking here; I can't speak for the rest of Mysterium. For all I know, everyone else in the FC might be jonesin' for just that sort of RP. Smile )

Personally, I think the best approach is to actively get RP started in a hotspot and out of FC houses, then keep this thread active and updated so people can see what they might want to get involved in. Between those two elements, cross-pollination of RP should occur organically. Smile That's just my two gil, though.

EDIT: I suppose I should clarify what I mean by "city-wide" plots. By that I don't mean "an FC has a plot that's open to anyone," I mean "a group of people decide to be STs for everyone and expect everyone to consent to, react to, and participate in their storyline." The former is awesome. The latter is not.

(07-11-2014, 11:50 AM)Garryson Wrote:
(07-11-2014, 11:01 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: On Storylines, and I can't stress this enough, for now we need to stay away from FC storylines. If an FC came in and said "Well, lets get people involved in our storylines" it will make it seem like Limsa RP is pushing that particular FC. The last thing we want to do is play any kind of favorites while this is being set up. For now, I suggest very small introductory plotlines that anyone can get involved it and doesn't focus on one person/FC. It shouldn't be anything complicated and it would be good for those who want to help Limsa's RP issue to get together to come up with something.

I won't disagree with your overall point. My group and I are more than happy to participate/help with whatever it is the people want. Hell, I'm more than happy to just participate in something and have zero responsibility.

But I don't agree there is going to be any favoritism. This is a community project. From what I've seen, its about getting more RP going and more connections made. There doesn't have to be one storyline at a time. By that same argument we won't be able to use anyone's FC house because that would be pushing that FC. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water here.

Keeping it vague and open has its definite perks, but whatever happens someone has to be writing the rules. RP doesn't have a natural order like the real world does. Even basic physics has to be agreed on by everyone involved. I don't care who or what it is, but there has to be a body making decisions.

Like Rurutani mentioned, it'd make sense to connect FCs ands groups to it alongside individual characters. So let's make peoples' houses RP spots and interconnect plotlines. I'm not going to worry about who's more popular, but what RP we can create for the community.
I agree, but I think the point ArmachiA was making was along these lines. Our FC, the Night Blades, runs a big story in Limsa, but it's open and others join in, and we publish it a big open rp (a la the Sands rp in Ul'dah) only it's being pushed by the FC of Night Blades....what she is concerned with (and correct me if I am wrong) is that there would be a perception that our FC was pushing the evnt to have folks join the FC, etc.

So I don't think she means disregard the FC element, just not "This RP sponsored by the Mt. Dew FC" aspect.

LOL...right? Or am I dead wrong?

RE: Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - ArmachiA - 07-11-2014

you're right Ruru Smile

Also Freelance, it wouldn't be running the whole city, the purpose of the story lines would only to give people a reason to talk to one another, and only those who want to participate. THE THEORY is doing that story line will make it seem Limsa is more active, thus more people will then show up in Limsa without the need of a story line.

RE: Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - Zhavi - 07-11-2014

First, I want to reassure Free and anyone else who is leery about city-wide plots that it is genuinely not my intention to sorta encourage people to conform to something over anything else. Whenever I do plotting, or have something unique to my character, I always try to leave outs for other people (example: the stuff I'm doing with ShayRei, Path, and everyone else -- we've set things up in a particular way, but if a player comes along who doesn't like the stretching we've done with the lore, it's open enough that we can kinda skirt around those bits so the player who doesn't like them doesn't have to interact with them) in case it's something they don't want involvement in. Granted, nothing is perfect, but that's what I got. Smile

So, in this case, kinda piggybacking on what ArmachiA said, it isn't to define the parameters of the city, but to create a small space that feels alive and interactive. A place where your character can find connections easily, and get involved in something that's already running if you want to, while still being free to start your own plot bits and be supported and have people in place who you can connect with. Granted, yes, it's impossible to do anything that will appeal to everyone equally, but I honestly do want to give it the ol' college try. Sort of one of those things that, ideally, a new rper to the server/city could get involved in easily but, at the same time, get out of if it doesn't suit them.

That's why one of my first ideas was some sort of treasure hunt. It can touch on all sorts of people (the hunters themselves, people who are called upon for expertise, people selling secrets, maybe law-types trying to protect bystanders and/or get rid of contraband treasure bits, etc) and still be easy to get into (you'd hear rumors everywhere in the city) and get out of (interpersonal character issues aside).

Beyond that, I've been thinking about what Freelance said (starting with rp hotspots), and I think, honestly, that we can do both. Because, when it comes down to it, it's easier to get more people involved when they know or have at least been around each other. If we all do our individual rp in one concentrated location for awhile, our characters will see and become familiar with each other to some extent. As a result, we'd be able to nudge out little rp cues easier. There'd be something of a core (not a clique, and there is a difference) to help push things along that would be relied upon, and then we could spread out and reel in those who weren't aware of said hotspots or plot options.

So, I dunno, what do you guys think about focusing on a hot spot first for a little while, and once we get regular activity then switch over to plot-talk?

Re: Yellowjackets

One way to avoid the I'd-rather-not-deal-with-player-run-city-stuff thing would be to have Ruru and whoever joins him (please join him) create a fuckup unit. That way, citizen characters could just brush them off (oh, it's just you guys. I'll report you to your sergeant for harassing me) if they didn't want to deal with them, while players like me who are looking for a more active antagonist presence (in the form of policing) would have it. Best of both worlds, maybe? Good idea, bad idea?

RE: Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - Raz - 07-12-2014

One way to avoid the I'd-rather-not-deal-with-player-run-city-stuff thing would be to have Ruru and whoever joins him (please join him) create a fuckup unit. That way, citizen characters could just brush them off (oh, it's just you guys. I'll report you to your sergeant for harassing me) if they didn't want to deal with them, while players like me who are looking for a more active antagonist presence (in the form of policing) would have it. Best of both worlds, maybe? Good idea, bad idea?
[/quote]

I think this is a good of idea. Something like that would be open for those who want to engage, non-restrictive for those who say, want to leave, and easy to pass on if you're not interested. Something in that vein is also very open to a lot of different characters (for example: a petty criminal like Razz would actively try to avoid them or get into scraps with, but a citizen who he was hired to steal from might go to them. IC repercussions and all that jazz). If it is something like a policing force however, I think it's important not to impose on IC players unless they're interested (which has happened to me in Ul'dah , kinda put me off) so as to avoid the player-run-stuff.

Bleh. Apologies if this is a nonsensical wall of text but there's my two Gil.

RE: Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - Aerghwab - 07-14-2014

The most interesting thing about Limsa, to me, is that conflict of the "old ways" versus the new order. While Ul'dah has that classical "law/order vs the criminal element," Limsa is in the unique position where its governing law in many cases used to be its criminal element, including Admiral Merlwyb and Storm Marshall Eynzahr. I'd love to see events that bring those two "sides" of Lominsan society together, employing different means to a common goal. 

So speaking for myself, the treasure hunt angle sounds like it'd be right up my alley and would put a twinkle in Hwab's eye for sure. Once a pirate... Smile But aye, first things first: a nice li'l RP hotspot where characters of all types can mingle without it seeming forced. And that's the kicker: the Bismarck is a little too high-falootin' for Hwab's sensibilities, and I doubt I'm alone there. Then there's the Drowning Wench, which is always full of non-RPers. The Missing Member is a bit on the small side, but rubbin' elbows is what we want people to do, right?

I feel like I might be coming across as a bit.. limiting, with all of the options I'm suggesting being taverns. I know many folks are averse to "Tavern RP," and to be fair it is often stifling, but in the smaller communities I've played in (MUDs, NWN persistent worlds) taverns and town squares and the like were simply where people went to get a party started. The real RP happened when somebody said "Yanno what? To hell with them orcs. Let's take up arms and raid their camp!" or a DM took interest and decided to make something happen. The beauty of Limsa Lominsa is that, at least in comparison with Ul'dah, we are that smaller community. It should be easier for us to do things like that.

RE: Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - ArmachiA - 07-15-2014

(07-14-2014, 05:05 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: I'm all in favor of plots that don't mandate participation or split continuity. In Ul'dah right now, for instance, there's a plot that, if you don't consent to it, more or less puts you in a completely different IC continuity than those who do. I try to avoid those sorts of things because they're not my cup of tea and, as I mentioned, they make RP quite difficult (not to mention how confusing they can be to totally new players trying to break into RP). Note that I'm not trying to denigrate this plot; I'm just pointing out that it's not my style, and I would personally like to not have to avoid RPing in a second city. Sad

A treasure hunt -- so long as the MacGuffin isn't something like, oh, the cure to a lethal plague cast o'er the land -- is a good way to do that. People can get involved, or not, as they see fit, and it has the particularly nice advantage of letting people opt out entirely ICly ("Uh-huh, a great treasure. And you heard that from a drunken privateer at the Wench while he had two whores giggling on his lap? Yeah, you go chase after that entirely real treasure..."). What I really would like to avoid is anything where those involved in the plot are living in a completely different continuity because of what the plot does.

Those kind of plots, for a city, are the kind of thing I'm trying to actively avoid because it is such a problem in Ul'dah. Anything that would be thought of by me, I obviously can't think for anyone else, would just be to get people Roleplaying in the city and not have some kind of overarching plot that suddenly defines the entire city and how the people must RP there. The treasure hunt is good, it's a one off plot that gets people into the city. Then later they can grab a beer, then other people will see people grabbing a beer and go "Oh hey people RP here" and start showing up on their own.

The biggest thing we need to do is get people into the city. There's a perception that things only happen in Ul'dah and we need to change that.

RE: Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-15-2014

You could do a plot about going to the carteneau flats and fighting Gridania and Ul'dah for Allagan relics, because you guys are pretty good at that T_T.

RE: Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - ArmachiA - 07-15-2014

Ul'dah is the new Lastok

/ffxijokes.

RE: Limsa Lominsa RP Connections - Melodia - 07-15-2014

(07-11-2014, 04:30 PM)Zhavi Wrote: Re: Yellowjackets

One way to avoid the I'd-rather-not-deal-with-player-run-city-stuff thing would be to have Ruru and whoever joins him (please join him) create a fuckup unit.  That way, citizen characters could just brush them off (oh, it's just you guys.  I'll report you to your sergeant for harassing me) if they didn't want to deal with them, while players like me who are looking for a more active antagonist presence (in the form of policing) would have it.  Best of both worlds, maybe?  Good idea, bad idea?

I would love to have folks talk to me and we can kind of figure out what we want to do. I will need to kind of work on my character for it, as she's only level 15. But, I do think that if a couple folks joined me, we could set up a pretty solid law enforcement arm in the city. And with that in place we can start having some bigger scale rp with the criminal folks in the city. Plus, that actually gives an excuse for folks like the Sultansworn to come and engage with the law folks in Limsa when necessary. Smile 

If anyone wants to kind of brainstorm on the Yellowjacket side, please pm me and we can discuss here or in game.