Hydaelyn Role-Players
Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? (/showthread.php?tid=4124)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - Ravinous - 08-30-2013

(08-29-2013, 07:34 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: My Topaz Carby tanks better than 90% of the tanks I've run into.  :-\

Usually has a third or double the HP more than the average tank. Never go soloing without it. Tongue

Arcanist for the win! Big Grin

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - LiadansWhisper - 08-30-2013

(08-30-2013, 03:45 AM)Clover Wrote: Oh, so that's how it is. I saw a tank kindly asking the arcanist to put their Topaz away, and I'd been wondering why. The mystery unfolds now!

This is good to know for the day I have to take the Arcanist route, which I'll be forced to play if I want to become a White Mage. I'll try to keep my pets away when in dungeons *nods*.

You only have to get Arcanist to 15 to play White Mage.  Smile  You don't get Topaz Carbuncle until 15 anyway and if you really don't like damage dealing, you can just stop there.

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - Ravinous - 08-30-2013

Stacking Bio/Bio II/etc and chaining Mana Spikes and Drains. All that damage with little to know pull. If the tank is pulling enough mobs, I to busy renewing DoT tokens to cast a single Rune (well until I get Rune II), which is the only ability I find pulls away enemies from a good tank if spammed to much.

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - LiadansWhisper - 08-30-2013

(08-30-2013, 03:55 AM)Ravinous Wrote:
(08-29-2013, 07:34 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: My Topaz Carby tanks better than 90% of the tanks I've run into.  :-\

Usually has a third or double the HP more than the average tank. Never go soloing without it. Tongue

Arcanist for the win! Big Grin

Yeah, it also seems to have far higher threat generation.  The only thing that it can't pull off of is a Medica-spamming healer.

Then again, Medica seems to generate more threat than Flash. -_-  I'm pretty sure it's counting Overheal against you.

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - Rinh Hallani - 08-30-2013

(08-29-2013, 09:51 PM)Draheim Wrote: Please, use your emerald Carby's for dungeons when you have a tank!

I always do. I mean, nobody told me to do it but it just made logical sense to not use a tank pet when there's already a tank in the party...

As for the obsession with carbuncles, well, they're cute. ^^

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - Moondoggie - 08-30-2013

Ah so that's what it is. I've not really leveled Arcanist yet for White Mage  so didn't know what the Emerald and Topaz mean. Will have to watch for that one in future if the Tank is having problems.

But yes sometimes at least in the lower level dungeons i've been doing you get a tank who doesn't really understand what being a tank means. The worst case was one guy who left me to pull aggro by healing him then when the mobs ran to me he saw a chest and decided opening that was more important than stopping me from being overwhelmed. Saw the pet used well in Tam Tara to hold the last boss in the middle which frees up the tank to help clear adds.

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - Corelyn - 08-30-2013

Actually, I was drawn to the Arcanist's RP value in the brains behind it all, the versatility both in playing and RP, and the nigh-limitless possibility of an entirely mathematically-based method of aether manipulation (read: MAGICKS *wiggle fingers*). Carbuncle... I don't care one way or the other. it's a facet of the class. Corelyn uses hers more like an omni-purpose tool/pet than a Pokemon. She's not about to go sic it on some creature, then sit back. She's more apt to do her thing and just let her Carbuncle go apeshit in its own way without giving it straight-up commands.

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - Asyria - 08-30-2013

I never liked pokemons. Like, at all.
I just make fun of the "a wild X appears" which I originally thought was a Dragon Warrior thing (A wild Slime appears! Fight? Run?)

I play Arcanist because Summoners and Scholars seem to be awesome. I always liked Summoners in FF games, I love the fact they have that same endgame look as FF Tactics ones and Scholars are cool too.

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - Tagyr - 08-30-2013

Carbuncles are shiny little fluffy pets, while on top of that being pretty useful. Whenever there are a bunch of them out it looks like the beginnings of some kinda miniature rave show.

As a MRD I find the little buggers interesting. It has helped since I am learning to tank, and in both instances there was a Topaz out. I wasn't aware that they had so much Enmity generation though, I was just thinking I wasn't geared/doing my job right when I could claw mobs off the shiny punching bag.

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - Kouen Elfrit - 08-31-2013

(08-30-2013, 10:52 AM)Asyria Wrote: I never liked pokemons. Like, at all.
I just make fun of the "as wild X appears" which I originally thought was a Dragon Warrior thing (A wild Slime appears! Fight? Run?)

I play Arcanist because Summoners and Scholars seem to be awesome. I always liked Summoners in FF games, I love the fact they have that same endgame look as FF Tactics ones and Scholars are cool too.
Summoners where awesome as huge AoE, but if they had Calculator/ Arithmetic its game.
*equips chameleon rope*
*first round*
*CP / multiple of 2 / Holy /  Cool*

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - Otte - 08-31-2013

I'm a huge fan of pet classes in MMOs and Carbuncle from other FF games, so naturally when I read "Summon" and "Carbuncle" on the class description, I had to roll one. This was before I learned you can actually have your Chocobo fight for you in later levels mind you, but I ended up liking the class enough on Phase 4 to keep playing anyway. And so I got stuck with it!

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - Kylin - 08-31-2013

Summoner was always Kylin's main IC class/job, even in his FFXI incarnations. I was disappointed that I was forced into black mage in 1.0 due to summoner not being released yet.

That said, it irks me that the class is so insanely popular. It just kind of kills the novelty of it all for me personally. I actually boycotted playing it since early access for that reason Laugh. I only recently said screw it and started leveling it, finally realizing that I didn't want others deciding whether I had fun or not.

The other thing that irks me on the RP side would be the ones who use Carbuncle as a "pokemon. Just a personal thing though, and I wouldn't write off anyone playing the whole "Carby is my living breathing pet" angle. But as a warning, if Kylin sees that IC, he WILL make a snide comment about it being just an aetherial construct/tool Angel

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - Cailean Lockwood - 08-31-2013

Personally, I think Carbuncle is cute and all, but I see it more as a way to get the cooler summons once I become a summoner. I hope Shiva will be in the game soon, as she is my favourite summon!

I have always been a fan of summons and I've always picked the class in any MMO I've played that had summons, such as the Warlock in WoW and the Spirit Master in Aion. I've actually never really played much of FFXI, so never got to play a summoner in that game, but it's the job I'm aiming for in this game. ^^

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - jelrae - 08-31-2013

I can tell you th reason I am playing it is because I want a pet.....  I like having an animal companion and I tend to incorporate it into a lot of my characters.  I want to be an archer but I also want the pet sooooo, idk what to do about it XD.  Also I really want to start over in Limsy.  So kinda stuck with it XD

Im re-rolling in faeri tonight so i may roll up a new archer there.  But I really want to do the limsy quest line and I really like the area....  Is there any way to just do all of the cities start quests?

RE: Just something that amuses me but...What is the obsession with Carbuncle? - Asyria - 08-31-2013

(08-31-2013, 08:50 AM)Kylin Wrote: I only recently said screw it and started leveling it, finally realizing that I didn't want others deciding whether I had fun or not.

And that is why I'm a playing Miqo'te!
Besides, I had a blue-haired one before it was cool. Cool

Also while I love the Summoner endgame outfit, I want to play a Scholar more... T_T
But I'll probably end up doing both. Eventually.