Hydaelyn Role-Players
[Q&A] Legacy and non-Legacy: What does it all mean? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [Q&A] Legacy and non-Legacy: What does it all mean? (/showthread.php?tid=3355)

Pages: 1 2

RE: [Q&A] Legacy and non-Legacy: What does it all mean? - Selsix - 08-07-2013

Great thread, I'm sure it'll clear up a lot of questions newer players may have.

My only ONE little tidbit is:
(08-07-2013, 01:46 PM)Aysun Wrote: Can I be a Warrior of Light as a new character?
Nothing is stopping you! We're not going to be upset if you decide to write your history to include having gone to the Battle of Carteneau. It is a unique experience and I don't blame anyone for wanting to utilize it in their stories. Just remember to say that you have the tattoo if you ever are in a situation where it could be seen, so that we know. Smile

I'm not exactly sure about this one. I see a lot of people having a problem with the whole "I'm this even if I'm not" thing. It's kinda like roleplaying a halfbreed, or a job that isn't actually in the game. You can't really prove it so a lot of people will likely see it as a one-dimensional kinda thing that is unimportant except to establish that you are a special snowflake.

That aside? Great post, a sticky would definitely prove very prudent.

RE: [Q&A] Legacy and non-Legacy: What does it all mean? - Sarantali - 08-07-2013

(08-07-2013, 09:28 PM)Selsix Wrote: Great thread, I'm sure it'll clear up a lot of questions newer players may have.

(08-07-2013, 01:46 PM)Aysun Wrote: Can I be a Warrior of Light as a new character?
Nothing is stopping you! We're not going to be upset if you decide to write your history to include having gone to the Battle of Carteneau. It is a unique experience and I don't blame anyone for wanting to utilize it in their stories. Just remember to say that you have the tattoo if you ever are in a situation where it could be seen, so that we know. Smile

I'm not exactly sure about this one. I see a lot of people having a problem with the whole "I'm this even if I'm not" thing. It's kinda like roleplaying a halfbreed, or a job that isn't actually in the game. You can't really prove it so a lot of people will likely see it as a one-dimensional kinda thing that is unimportant except to establish that you are a special snowflake.

As someone who has a little bit of a problem with something that people are not....

This is represented by a tattoo. A tattoo which isn't even visible all the time I'm guessing knowing how character clothing models go. This isn't like roleplaying a halfbreed or a job that isn't in the game to me because those could potentially have different animations, different things that should be on your character, etc. That said if someone wanted their job to be "I raise goats" even though there isn't a goat raising job... I don't have to pretend all that hard to imagine that. And, I think that's the rule of reasonability.

Someone who's magic involves time stopping and shape shifting? Again, there aren't... powers to represent that and that could be a stretch for people and generally speaking the people who would be concerned for that would comment.

This is literally a story and a drawing which may or may not appear on your character's body. I think it's safe to say that pretense is fine Wink

Also as far as special snowflake... that's a term for when you ask for something that almost no one else has. Playing a mutant with telepathy in this world could qualify. It's sole purpose - when you're really being a special snowflake - is to try and add something to your character expressly to make them cooler than other people that no one else can do for no other purpose (not to advance story, offer a complication, etc.) than to try and get attention. There's HUGE swaths of people who have this history and really all it amounts to is an interesting point of history. I wouldn't call someone falling to "special snowflake syndrome" when it's something that over 30% of the game players could say they have, too.

RE: [Q&A] Legacy and non-Legacy: What does it all mean? - Selsix - 08-07-2013

(08-07-2013, 09:41 PM)Koren Wrote:
(08-07-2013, 09:28 PM)Selsix Wrote: Great thread, I'm sure it'll clear up a lot of questions newer players may have.

As someone who has a little bit of a problem with something that people are not....

This is represented by a tattoo.  A tattoo which isn't even visible all the time I'm guessing knowing how character clothing models go.  This isn't like roleplaying a halfbreed or a job that isn't in the game to me because those could potentially have different animations, different things that should be on your character, etc.  That said if someone wanted their job to be "I raise goats" even though there isn't a goat raising job... I don't have to pretend all that hard to imagine that.  And, I think that's the rule of reasonability.  

Someone who's magic involves time stopping and shape shifting?  Again, there aren't... powers to represent that and that could be a stretch for people and generally speaking the people who would be concerned for that would comment.

This is literally a story and a drawing which may or may not appear on your character's body.  I think it's safe to say that pretense is fine Wink

Also as far as special snowflake... that's a term for when you ask for something that almost no one else has.  Playing a mutant with telepathy in this world could qualify.  It's sole purpose - when you're really being a special snowflake - is to try and add something to your character expressly to make them cooler than other people that no one else can do for no other purpose (not to advance story, offer a complication, etc.) than to try and get attention.  There's HUGE swaths of people who have this history and really all it amounts to is an interesting point of history.  I wouldn't call someone falling to "special snowflake syndrome" when it's something that over 30% of the game players could say they have, too.

Well that's certainly fair enough. Forgive me, I come from an RP community on World of Warcraft where players are much less... Let's say, forgiving. I'm used to seeing people catch flak for RPing something that shouldn't even matter, like the issue mentioned above.

I once saw 6 people give a girl a hard time because she was RPing an Orc that lived longer than their "natural" life span. ...Yeah. Glad to see the majority of this community isn't so strict.

RE: [Q&A] Legacy and non-Legacy: What does it all mean? - Eva - 08-08-2013

+1 for this being stickied (even if temporarily).

It's honest, concise, clears up some commonly-held misconceptions, and informative. Kudos to Aysun for putting this together.

RE: [Q&A] Legacy and non-Legacy: What does it all mean? - lady2beetle - 08-08-2013

(08-07-2013, 09:45 PM)Selsix Wrote:
(08-07-2013, 09:41 PM)Koren Wrote:

This is represented by a tattoo.  A tattoo which isn't even visible all the time I'm guessing knowing how character clothing models go.  This isn't like roleplaying a halfbreed or a job that isn't in the game to me because those could potentially have different animations, different things that should be on your character, etc.  That said if someone wanted their job to be "I raise goats" even though there isn't a goat raising job... I don't have to pretend all that hard to imagine that.  And, I think that's the rule of reasonability.  

Someone who's magic involves time stopping and shape shifting?  Again, there aren't... powers to represent that and that could be a stretch for people and generally speaking the people who would be concerned for that would comment.

This is literally a story and a drawing which may or may not appear on your character's body.  I think it's safe to say that pretense is fine Wink

Also as far as special snowflake... that's a term for when you ask for something that almost no one else has.  Playing a mutant with telepathy in this world could qualify.  It's sole purpose - when you're really being a special snowflake - is to try and add something to your character expressly to make them cooler than other people that no one else can do for no other purpose (not to advance story, offer a complication, etc.) than to try and get attention.  There's HUGE swaths of people who have this history and really all it amounts to is an interesting point of history.  I wouldn't call someone falling to "special snowflake syndrome" when it's something that over 30% of the game players could say they have, too.

Well that's certainly fair enough. Forgive me, I come from an RP community on World of Warcraft where players are much less... Let's say, forgiving. I'm used to seeing people catch flak for RPing something that shouldn't even matter, like the issue mentioned above.

I once saw 6 people give a girl a hard time because she was RPing an Orc that lived longer than their "natural" life span. ...Yeah. Glad to see the majority of this community isn't so strict.

I agree with Koren's special snowflake synopsis. It seems to me that critical to being a "special snowflake" is being, you know... special. But this is more a matter of new players wanting to think that they belong. They want to be a part of something that the missed out on. There *will* be people who protest who get upset. And they will be those who see that tattoo as a badge of honor that they are proud of. It really depends on how you look at it, but I would argue that the people who are likely to have the most issues with a new player pretending to be a WoL are the ones who aren't RPers. They are the players who are most likely to see that tattoo as proof that they are cool enough to be legacy players. Those of us who are hard core RPers? Who understand that it's all about developing the character into fun, engaging personas? I honestly think we're the ones who will care the least.

(That's not to say that all RPers will be cool with it. But when people do get upset, I suspect that it will, at its core, have nothing to do with you RPing that you have a mark on your character's body that doesn't show in game, and everything to do with the fact that you are claiming something they consider their own personal badge of honor. In short... they are the ones trying to be the special snowflake, not you. Wink)

RE: [Q&A] Legacy and non-Legacy: What does it all mean? - Aysun - 08-08-2013

Updated with the new information regarding server transfers.

RE: [Q&A] Legacy and non-Legacy: What does it all mean? - neltu - 08-08-2013

Yea for all the folks worried about the economy, do keep in mind that all Legacy servers will have this problem and that in a matter of fact, Balmung has some of the best people! Heck, maybe some folks will even help create a balanced economy, better than the other servers.

RE: [Q&A] Legacy and non-Legacy: What does it all mean? - faceman7381 - 08-08-2013

Level 25 GLA played since 1.0 beta and after the gil reduction for AAR I will have Like 600 some odd gil!  FEAR ME NON-LEGACY PLAYERS!

Joking aside I actually hope I can bum some gil off of people for repair costs at the start of the game....no seriously....for real!

RE: [Q&A] Legacy and non-Legacy: What does it all mean? - Aysun - 08-10-2013

Updated again because SE's stance on server transfers is vague and confusing! XD

RE: [Q&A] Legacy and non-Legacy: What does it all mean? - Aysun - 08-18-2013

Updated with some information about the "special cutscenes" that Legacy players can get.

RE: [Q&A] Legacy and non-Legacy: What does it all mean? - Aysun - 04-17-2015

Believe it or not, I updated this post for reference since it's still relevant, I hear!