Hydaelyn Role-Players
Cliche RP Elements - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Cliche RP Elements (/showthread.php?tid=76)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: Cliche RP Elements - Verad - 09-27-2014

(09-27-2014, 07:12 PM)Myxie Tryxle Wrote: I also feel like it's inevitable based on the experience level of the writer or RPer in question.  It takes a while to mature from the notion of "how awesome is my character" to "how interesting is my character?" 

And then further to reach, "How awesome and interesting is my character?"

RE: Cliche RP Elements - Eva - 09-28-2014

It's a strange thing, looking back on something written over four years ago and disagreeing with oneself.  While I think the topic is interesting, I think I would have preferred to see a new thread created to discuss it rather than one that hasn't seen an update in so many years.

(09-27-2014, 03:42 PM)Faye Wrote: ...it seems like the original post is more focused on calling out certain people, even if unnamed, for their role-play rather than discussing cliches.
I'm inclined to agree.  While I'm sure my overall aim at that time was perhaps towards steering a then-much-smaller RP community from what many at the time would have considered to be somewhat self-destructive styles of RP.  I also think many of us back then were a lot more comfortable with one another and sharing experiences about our own personal backgrounds with RP.  In short, four years ago I posted more often and didn't feel a need to censor myself so much as I do lately.  So I admit this is a bit humbling, or a bit humiliating.  Or a bit of both maybe.  The community has grown.  I have grown.  A lot happens over four years, and the landscape now is much different than it was then.

Now the community is much larger.  There is a greater pool of RPers and the likelihood of similar-minded folk coming together is greater.  My style isn't for everyone.  Just as other peoples' style isn't for me.  Most can find a group here that they mesh well with though, and that's what's important.

As others have said, pretty much everything can be boiled down and called cliché and I recognize this in my own characters as well.  I don't really have much else I wish to add beyond that.  I also think Myxie's post is extremely throught-provoking and I hope many RPers truly read it and give it thought.  Thank you for sharing!

RE: Cliche RP Elements - OttoVann - 09-28-2014

Jeez I wonder if I am a bunch of cliches.

Did I do bad senpai ;__;

RE: Cliche RP Elements - Parvacake - 09-28-2014

(09-28-2014, 12:54 AM)OttoVann Wrote: Jeez I wonder if I am a bunch of cliches.

Did I do bad senpai ;__;
 *huggles* Big Grin

Anyway, on topic, I feel like it varies. Though one of the things I read while glancing over the thread is the whole concept of someone having a good, original idea, and then others jumping on the bandwagon BECAUSE it's so awesome. I tend to avoid this happening or people jumping on my metaphorical bandwagon but keeping many of my character's abilities secret. Some of the cooler things they can do I don't openly RP or reveal save to a select few. Tends to dwindle that down.

RE: Cliche RP Elements - Seriphyn - 09-28-2014

Kale has plentiful cliches, could be said to be a gritty, no-nonsense, down-to-earth male protagonist straight out of contemporary Western action franchises.

However, since that type of male character seems to lack favour in a Japanese MMO, it's not immediately obvious. I like to parade him as unique since he's ordinary and doesn't follow the anime/manga inspiration of a lot of male characters in the community, but really, he just takes a different set of cliches/tropes.

RE: Cliche RP Elements - ArmachiA - 09-28-2014

Don't feel bad if you are the cliche. Every character ever has some aspect of cliche about them. Doesn't hurt to talk about common tropes though.

RE: Cliche RP Elements - Ermine - 09-29-2014

(09-28-2014, 06:44 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Don't feel bad if you are the cliche. Every character ever has some aspect of cliche about them. Doesn't hurt to talk about common tropes though.

This! Tropes thrive and grow and continue because they're familiar - kind of like a hamburger, if you order one from a restaurant, you kind of have an idea of what you're getting.

But, it's the touches that make it yours, what make it special: knowing what tropes your character fall into is helpful, too, because then you can find those stories with characters LIKE that, see how those characters are presented, and get ideas for how you'd like yours to seem.

(to throw myself on this sword: My attached character, I'd consider to fall under the "Lady of Adventure" trope - so if I wanted, I could read in a bit more of other characters, see how their stories unfold, etc.)

I'm pretty sure "Tropes/cliches aren't bad" has come up a couple times in thread, but I hope the ideas make sense!