Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP Confession Thread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP Confession Thread (/showthread.php?tid=12923)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: RP Confession Thread - Telluride - 09-23-2015

I put off almost all my RP, save for a few events, when Heavensward came out, to level, like most of us did.

Well, that's done. Got the main to 60 in two Combat Jobs and the one Gathering job.

Then, wanted to get all the red scrip miner gear. Put off RP to do that, largely, save again for a few events.

Now, that's done. Got the whole red scrip MNR set, and I'm kinda done with that. Did a couple of more RP events, but not a lot of character stuff.

Then got the burr in my saddle to get my Roe alt into Heavensward, but I don't want to tank through it. So... got the character from lvl26 to lvl51 MNK, and trudged, painfully, through the MSQ, and tonight, finally tonight, the character is in Ishgard.

Now... well, I think I need to RP again. Now, to figure what I can do with the bard. Maybe I'll go back to the multi-character story I've let sit stagnant for months. Maybe there's room for him and the newly-arrived alt in some crazy plot somewhere.

Now, all I gotta do is switch out of grind mode and... just see what there is to get into.

More of a confession is that I'm so picky about guilds, having been terribly burned by a good number of them in the last 7 years, that I'm probably denying myself a really good experience with one. Several really good people have talked to me about it, but now, I kinda have to stick with my guns after pushing some of the offers aside, because if I don't, it's kind of an insult to, well, other options I pushed aside. I simply am not playing a character who's especially well suited to the themes of most FCs I've seen.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Heidrek - 09-23-2015

There's less wiggle room with job lore than the MMO's I've played previously and I'm worried I might accidentally make a mistake and leave a bad impression because of it. Sad

RE: RP Confession Thread - Teadrinker - 09-23-2015

1.) I can't have a homosexual character since I am so strongly heterosexual in real life. It just doesn't compute. Any attempts made have resulted in really hideous RP because I just have ZERO affinity for the same sex and can't fake it.

2.) I'm a lore stickler and have pretty massive issues with people breaking it because they often just don't have good reasons to. There is no storytelling device being used. There's no plot motive. Just "lookit me I'm super cool and awesome" which is obnoxious as hell.

3.) I tend to avoid people whose first line of their wikis talk about how "pretty/studly" they are, how big their boobs are, how they rule a country that doesn't exist or just overall seems like a shrine to themselves. I treat that like a red flag.

4.) RP Tumblrs are usually more hilarious than they are useful. There are some gems though.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Vyce - 09-23-2015

(09-23-2015, 05:32 AM)Teadrinker Wrote: 1.) I can't have a homosexual character since I am so strongly heterosexual in real life. It just doesn't compute. Any attempts made have resulted in really hideous RP because I just have ZERO affinity for the same sex and can't fake it.

2.) I'm a lore stickler and have pretty massive issues with people breaking it because they often just don't have good reasons to. There is no storytelling device being used. There's no plot motive. Just "lookit me I'm super cool and awesome" which is obnoxious as hell.

3.) I tend to avoid people whose first line of their wikis talk about how "pretty/studly" they are, how big their boobs are, how they rule a country that doesn't exist or just overall seems like a shrine to themselves. I treat that like a red flag.

4.) RP Tumblrs are usually more hilarious than they are useful. There are some gems though.

1.) I feel sort of the same about making a heterosexual character, but I get around it by alting a female for variety. The way men and women experience romance is very different, so even though both characters are interested in men, the relationship dynamic functions differently and is a different experience to RP. Having grown up around a lot of women, I suppose it becomes easier to do.

2.) There was a guy last night talking about Communism as if people in Eorzea are going to know that word. They may have a utopian concept, but it isn't called Communism. I appreciated that several people challenged him on it. Lore is absolutely the most important thing in a world someone else created.

3.)I am attracted to things from a commercial perspective and when it comes to my RP, I tailor my characters physically with features that are commercially attractive. If you know the fashion industry you know the type.
BUT! It's safe to assume that 99% of our characters are also hot. Face claims are always actors and models. In my mind there is no point in saying how attractive or powerful my characters is because A) I know he is and B) Everyone else can assume he is just based on the customization features I chose. My profiles will never describe my characters are "more attractive than" or compare their beauty to something because it looks dumb and beauty is subjective. If he has defining features like a square jaw, or a chiseled body (I wouldn't use that term), sure I'll note it, but I never want to try to state that my character is in an elite class of beauty. I don't know what Eorzea's beauty standard is, or how sexy the average citizen is.

RE: RP Confession Thread - SessionZero - 09-23-2015

(09-23-2015, 10:14 AM)Vyce Wrote: 3.)I am attracted to things from a commercial perspective and when it comes to my RP, I tailor my characters physically with features that are commercially attractive. If you know the fashion industry you know the type.
BUT! It's safe to assume that 99% of our characters are also hot. Face claims are always actors and models. In my mind there is no point in saying how attractive or powerful my characters is because A) I know he is and B) Everyone else can assume he is just based on the customization features I chose. My profiles will never describe my characters are "more attractive than" or compare their beauty to something because it looks dumb and beauty is subjective. If he has defining features like a square jaw, or a chiseled body (I wouldn't use that term), sure I'll note it, but I never want to try to state that my character is in an elite class of beauty. I don't know what Eorzea's beauty standard is, or how sexy the average citizen is.

Bolded for emphasis on my point. This is something I actually try to avoid. Most of my characters aren't outright "ugly" but they are certainly not models or maybe even "attractive" in the conventional sense. Two of my oldest, main-est characters, Reilan and Llaine, are both lifetime warriors who bear horrific scars all over their bodies from the trials of war. Reilan may be considered "rugged" for an Elezen and Llaine at the very least not horrid looking but they are both meant to be rough and tumble and certainly far less attractive than the character creator will let me make them look.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Aaron - 09-23-2015

1. I also cant play homosexual or bisexual characters because im straight and can't for the life of me fake it. Nothing wrong with a persons sexuality however, just not my taste.

2. I generally do not take rp or my character seriously (if people havent noticed that already). And i havent really been rping lately because of that. I should probably get more serious about it. But most attempts at that always devolve back into me being more casually ok with whatever. 

3. Not really too big on romance rp because i like to leave the game sporadically and whenever i feel like it ranging from a day to a month at max. And i dont want to get into those kinds of problems. But hey who knows it still might happen.

4. Also this is a big one. To all the girls in game who ive said have pretty characters (A FC mate even jokes im thirsty lol) please do realize before you call me a internet pervert that ME CALLING YOUR "TOON" (WHICH ISNT YOU!) PRETTY DOES NOT MEAN I WANT TO FUCK YOU, YOUR TOON, OR GET INVOLVED IN A OOC ROMANCE WITH YOU.

If i wanted that id literally say straight up "Yo lets meet up somewhere". But i never will do that. Because thats weird as shit to me lol.

(09-23-2015, 12:20 PM)Aaron Wrote: 4. Also this is a big one. To all the girls in game who ive said have pretty characters (A FC mate even jokes im thirsty lol) please do realize before you call me a internet pervert that ME CALLING YOUR "TOON" (WHICH ISNT YOU!) PRETTY DOES NOT MEAN I WANT TO FUCK YOU, YOUR TOON, OR GET INVOLVED IN A OOC ROMANCE WITH YOU.

If i wanted that id literally say straight up "Yo lets meet up somewhere". But i never will do that. Because thats weird as shit to me lol.

Are you sure they're girls calling you a perv though?

No, seriously. I have this policy where unless I hear it on voice chat it's a dude until proven otherwise. It's yet to fail me.

...I'll file that under an additional confession. Cactuar

(09-23-2015, 01:06 PM)Teadrinker Wrote:
(09-23-2015, 12:20 PM)Aaron Wrote: 4. Also this is a big one. To all the girls in game who ive said have pretty characters (A FC mate even jokes im thirsty lol) please do realize before you call me a internet pervert that ME CALLING YOUR "TOON" (WHICH ISNT YOU!) PRETTY DOES NOT MEAN I WANT TO FUCK YOU, YOUR TOON, OR GET INVOLVED IN A OOC ROMANCE WITH YOU.

No, seriously. I have this policy where unless I hear it on voice chat it's a dude until proven otherwise. It's yet to fail me.
RP Communties have lots of ladies. But ultimately the player behind the character doesn't matter. We don't exist as far as RP goes.

(09-23-2015, 01:09 PM)Vyce Wrote:

RP Communties have lots of ladies. But ultimately the player behind the character doesn't matter. We don't exist as far as RP goes.

Point taken, and I agree, but if a guy wants to take it OOC and act like a chick when he's not..

And don't say that doesn't happen I've SEEN it...lol

I also can't stand it. Think it's pretty weird. Pretty sad. Confession #5? 6?

RE: RP Confession Thread - Diskwrite - 09-23-2015

As a woman who's played in MMOs for well over a decade... that's kind of a dick move.

I've known (and know) many, many women through these games. It can be really frustrating when people take a "voice or it didn't happen" attitude- especially when sometimes speaking up with your actual voice invites unwanted attention and harassment.

I know the thing you're talking about does happen from time to time, but people assuming male unless told otherwise is a real problem. It contributes to attitudes that games are male-oriented spaces (despite how many female gamers there really are), that women are rarities in gaming communities (even when they're not), and even that women don't really belong there.

I'm not saying you think these things, but I want you to be aware of what that sort of approach is part of.

(This is also the end of what I'll say about it since I don't want to start a sensitive off-topic argument)

(09-23-2015, 01:15 PM)Teadrinker Wrote:
(09-23-2015, 01:09 PM)Vyce Wrote:

Point taken, and I agree, but if a guy wants to take it OOC and act like a chick when he's not..

And don't say that doesn't happen I've SEEN it...lol

I also can't stand it. Think it's pretty weird. Pretty sad. Confession #5? 6?

Show Content

I generally believe the irl gender of the person is the gender of their toon unless proven otherwise. Not like me knowing your irl gender is gonna make me want to date you (even though I'm sure all the girls on this game are exceptionally charming individuals that I'll never meet in person).

But yeah when people assume I'm trying to score cause I compliment either their toon or their personality shown in game this is my reaction.
[Image: tumblr_mxx24a7wMc1qa3pfso1_400.gif]

But ftr, most guys in general may play girls. . . but Role Play as a hobby is generally more woman populated than men. So most female rpers are legit actual girls. It gets more diluted when talking guys though.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Nebbs - 09-23-2015

I don't care what you are at the other end so long as you aren't malicious or cause a mess for people.

I work on this simple premise.. you are all this guy in my head, so I have no illusions. (though this is an anti-illusion)

I am here to RP and play with others, your physical appearance and gender etc.. don't matter to me.

[Image: south-park-gamer.png]

(09-23-2015, 01:50 PM)Diskwrite Wrote:

As a woman who's played in MMOs for well over a decade... that's kind of a dick move.

I've known (and know) many, many women through these games. It can be really frustrating when people take a "voice or it didn't happen" attitude- especially when sometimes speaking up with your actual voice invites unwanted attention and harassment.

I know the thing you're talking about does happen from time to time, but people assuming male unless told otherwise is a real problem. It contributes to attitudes that games are male-oriented spaces (despite how many female gamers there really are), that women are rarities in gaming communities (even when they're not), and even that women don't really belong there.

I'm not saying you think these things, but I want you to be aware of what that sort of approach is part of.

(This is also the end of what I'll say about it since I don't want to start a sensitive off-topic argument)

It's more about making sure that it's not a dude lying than it is about making sure it's a female. The two are not the same.

And this is really only if you actually want to talk to the person OOCly on a more personal level which honestly happens rarely if ever. A lot of people just don't look for that. If someone starts presenting themselves (the person behind the keyboard) as something and we start talking a lot I'm eventually gonna want some confirmation. That's not an anti-woman thing. That's an anti-liar thing.

(09-23-2015, 02:24 PM)Nebbs Wrote: I don't care what you are at the other end so long as you aren't malicious or cause a mess for people.

I work on this simple premise.. you are all this guy in my head, so I have no illusions. (though this is an anti-illusion)

I am here to RP and play with others, your physical appearance and gender etc.. don't matter to me.

[Image: south-park-gamer.png]
And then they end up looking like this in reality
[Image: 3pyWxE80.jpg]

/sweats profusely

Lol all jokes aside though.