Hydaelyn Role-Players
Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Rules for Event 2 in first post) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+---- Forum: Chronicled Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Rules for Event 2 in first post) (/showthread.php?tid=7548)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Aya - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 02:16 PM)Melkire Wrote: We need another short break, courtesy another brief moment of levity:

[Image: pq3usRw.jpg]
Hahaha! Askier is really good at creating buzz ^_^

And I know its not set in stone yet, that's exactly what I wanted it to be brought up now, before people's RP and characters were forever altered by it being set in stone.  Just seems like something that ought to be talked about, since its beyond dramatic!

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Gaspard - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 02:17 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 02:12 PM)Gaspard Wrote: split-continuity insight

I have the same issues. In my experience, I've just dabbled with Comic Book timelines. When you're talking to people In The Know, the events happened. When you're dealing with someone not associated, the events never existed.

It can make some ugly schisms down the road, but for my money it's the best bet. Right now everyone in this thread is reading Blood on the Sands #1, written by Osric and inked by Askier guest starring Kahn'a. But some people didn't want to read that issue, so they're still reading Hot Spring Love #600.

Ah, comic books. Is there a problem you can't fix

Reminds me of Champions Online, they've ran a similar model (since everyone 'was' infact a superhero)

Either way, you might be right that it is one of the better solutions in regards of how to handle this, but those 'ugly shisms' can make or break future roleplays, even scratch at the authencity of your characters, or rather, the Roleplays you have.

And while that Comic book method may work out the 'split-continuity' between different characters, It still leaves the part where we're involving a massive landscape in a plot, amongst important NPC's that are Vital to the story. I mean, already now people are kind of going 'Is that really how the Ul'dahn city would react?' I don't know if the certain liberties that where taken in the process will not end up too.. squishy. I mean, How Ul'dah, the Sultana, and all the other NPC's in Ul'dah will react is not at our liberty to choose, unless we go as far as assuming how NPC's react and act, which very well turns them into PC's without Ingame exposure, where those that write the story make calls like 'Sultana does A in regards to B'.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - C'kayah Polaali - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 02:05 PM)Whittledown Wrote: Just tossing this out here, but speculation is probably a bad idea at this juncture.  Since this is Askier's plot perhaps we should all hang back out of this thread for a while until he posts some kind of master "THIS IS THE STUFF THAT OFFICIALLY HAPPENED" post.
He actually did...

The salient point we're discussing is this:
Quote:For meow though, Jin'li got EVERY water source in Goblet and Ul'dah and LOADS of civilians be dying. 

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Melkire - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 02:37 PM)C Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 02:05 PM)Whittledown Wrote: Just tossing this out here, but speculation is probably a bad idea at this juncture.  Since this is Askier's plot perhaps we should all hang back out of this thread for a while until he posts some kind of master "THIS IS THE STUFF THAT OFFICIALLY HAPPENED" post.
He actually did...

Quote:For meow though, Jin'li got EVERY water source in Goblet and Ul'dah and LOADS of civilians be dying. 

Yeah, I think the biggest problem is that not one of us organizers expected or anticipated Jin'li getting EVERY water source. Like, what. There are so many fountains and waterfalls and such through Ul'dah and the Goblet combined... and according to Askier (via VoIP the night of), he emoted Jin's actions out at EVERY SINGLE LOCATION. That no one stopped him before he finished is... um... yeah.

(I blame Warren =P )

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Aya - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 02:39 PM)Melkire Wrote: Yeah, I think the biggest problem is that not one of us organizers expected or anticipated Jin'li getting EVERY water source. Like, what. There are so many fountains and waterfalls and such through Ul'dah and the Goblet combined....

...and according to Askier (via VoIP the night of), he emoted Jin's actions out at EVERY SINGLE LOCATION.
Someone should probably have made sure that there was a Hero available to organize a search team.  That might have helped :-]

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Jancis - 07-14-2014

Isn't there also a whole guild of alchemists in the city?

Creep factor indicator is registering a little high.Cry

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Warren Castille - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 02:39 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 02:37 PM)C Wrote:
He actually did...

Yeah, I think the biggest problem is that not one of us organizers expected or anticipated Jin'li getting EVERY water source. Like, what. There are so many fountains and waterfalls and such through Ul'dah and the Goblet combined... and according to Askier (via VoIP the night of), he emoted Jin's actions out at EVERY SINGLE LOCATION. That no one stopped him before he finished is... um... yeah.

(I blame Warren =P )

You have no idea how badly I wish I could have just started cutting, and-

Well, you probably do.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Melkire - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 02:41 PM)Aya Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 02:39 PM)Melkire Wrote: Yeah, I think the biggest problem is that not one of us organizers expected or anticipated Jin'li getting EVERY water source. Like, what. There are so many fountains and waterfalls and such through Ul'dah and the Goblet combined....

...and according to Askier (via VoIP the night of), he emoted Jin's actions out at EVERY SINGLE LOCATION.
Someone should probably have made sure that there was a Hero available to organize a search team.  That might have helped :-]

Melkire Wrote: From what I've heard, there was supposed to have been a conscious effort from the defenders inside the city to keep a watch out for any potential subterfuge.

Apparently that fell through for numerous reasons.

*shrugs*

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Askier - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 12:12 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: The plot is supposed to run for a month or so. Large sources of water are lost to the city, setting the distraught tone for Phase 2. Everyone is restless and thirsty and tired. I don't think Askier meant that the entire world is fucked, just that there's enough damage and casualty to give the city some severe tension. Those of us who are on the Good Guy Brigade have a week of moving bodies, fending off riots and rationing water to work with going into the next session.

I kind of like it. Phase 1 is just applying the DoTs before the DPS starts in earnest for Phase 2.

Disclaimer: Not talking for Askier, just pointing out how I see it.
Oh my, I stop checking my thread for a day and look what happens! lol.  Alright, I am going to do my best to answer the valid points here and hopefully work a decent compromise to all this.  Before starting, I do appreciate constructive feedback, good or otherwise, so let us begin.  *crackles knuckles and begins*

I certainly have no intention of fucking the world of Eorzea, which I -very- much enjoy Big Grin, and I did not poison any water source outside of Ul'dah.  The amount of poison used was enough to contaminate water sources in Ul'dah, no more. Just like a real poison, too much water would disperse the poison out over to great an area and eventually render the said toxin useless.

(07-14-2014, 12:24 PM)Roen Wrote: I think the consequences for all those that were collared and willingly took part in poisoning of the waters to result in hundreds unaware that would/could die from it...

I think *that* is what I am looking forward to the most at the end this.

Yes. I absolutely think there needs to be consequences for every action taken in RP. Else nothing holds weight.
I am super excited to see how things play out. Bouncy
I love seeing the consequences of my rp actions, hence why Askier is missing an arm. Big Grin  Jin'li is going to be dead after this event.  I went into this event with this plan and he will suffer his consequences because he must.  Though all those whom have -helped- Jin'li thus far were completely unaware of his poisoning plans. This was one hundred percent intentional.

(07-14-2014, 12:46 PM)Melkire Wrote: Some OoC commentary from Mr. Saturday Cartoon Villains Organizer is in order. Warning: here be potential spoilers regarding bygone events.

1. No one on the offensive knew exactly what they were causing a distraction for. The one most in the know was Osric, who only knew that Jin'li would be inside the city and up to... something.

2. Fun fact: Southern California imports the majority of its water from the Colorado River. That means that Los Angeles, one of the largest cities in the United States, is extremely dependent on a non-local source in order to support its population, to the point where the local drought this past year forced local and state governments to consider water restrictions/rationing. Supporting a large population with imported resources is difficult, but not impossible. I've heard tidbits here and there from Kahn'a: apparently there are already several efforts underway to shift Ul'dahn dependence from local to non-local sources.

3. Bottled drinks should still be safe, meaning repercussions for unwitting patrons of the Quicksand and other such establishments should be, for the most part, nil... as those drinks would have been bottled prior to the Atrocity (I like that name). This might be enough to hold over parts of the population.

4. IRL, the average human can go for up to 100 hours (three to four days, usually) without water. Same should go for Hyur, and from there you can extrapolate expected needs for the other races.

5. There will definitely be consequences and repercussions for those involved in the event. There's no getting out of this cleanly for anyone who works, willingly or otherwise, for Jin'li.

6. This is what happens when you let the flashy, nonsensical frontal assault distract you from the real threat. You get Jin'li in ur base, killing ur d00dz.

I deliberately did not poison water sources outside the city, including the river running before the Gate of Nald, so water could still be obtained.  There is a crisis inside the city for sure and people who drink the contaminated water will die but with word having gotten out so fast, people can start lugging buckets to the river.

(07-14-2014, 01:17 PM)C Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 12:55 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Everyone breathe. We're all invested, yes, but we should remember we're discussing the actions of our characters first and foremost.

Osric's post is on the money. This isn't a "everyone in Ul'dah on 7/12 is dead" situation, but it's going to increase tension. It's almost amusing how similar the MSQ from 2.3 lines up with this sort of thing.

There are plans underway to alleviate, but not remove, the looming threat of dehydration. There are plans underway to handle potential events on the way.

The victory means nothing if you don't have to overcome something to attain it.
I hear you, but what starting to bother me is the absoluteness of the scope of this.

Every source of water in Ul'dah has been contaminated with a toxin that kills people within 24 hours.

That goes beyond "increasing tension". Speaking personally, what I'd like to know is:
  • Shouldn't the NPC guards of the city be able to prevent some of the water supplies being poisoned?
  • How lethal is the poison when it's at the dilution it would be in the water supply? What percentage of the population is susceptible to that?
  • If Jin'li was able to do this undetected, how was anyone able to find out that it even happened? What percentage of the population drank a lethal dose of the poison before that happened?
  • If I were running Ul'dah, and I became aware that this had happened, I'd assume someone was attacking the city. I'd focus on mitigation, but I'd also call up everyone who could hold a sword and ready a defense. This includes both guarding the Sultana (event 2) and the aetheryte (event 3). How will that affect those two events?
This is a large event, and as large events often go, things go awry because people aren't aware of the whole picture. My concern is that this makes it too easy for the villains to achieve victories* that would have long term ramifications which are difficult to play out.

This is a big wall of text, I know. I don't want to sound like an Angry Andy, and I don't want to sound like I'm calling Askier or Osric out for putting this together - this is a fantastic arc, and it's been a lot of fun to play in it (as it was to play in their last arc). I just feel that the actual details of these tension-increasing events need some clarification.
C, you have made some very, very valid points and I hope I can explain this all well enough Big Grin.  Here goes:

1)  The npcs could have if they had known he was up to something.  I planned, and Warren can verify this because I rped it with him, is that I would walk Jin'li up to the water sources with a barrel of posion, but the posion was in in old whiskey barrels, and he dumped the poison in quickly.  If anyone asked what he was doing, he answered, like to Warren, that he was dumping whiskey out because his master was giving up the habit.  If someone smelled the barrel, they would catch hints of the whiskey from the years of fermentation inside the wood.  So if the npcs had seen him doing this, while suspicious, would have probably just sent him on his way with a warning not to do it again.  If I assumed their reaction incorrectly, I apologize but that was my line of thinking and I commuted to it as Warren can attest.

2) For the first day it would remain at maximum potency.  However, like all toxins, it would begin to disperse and break down over time.  In time, maybe a week, week-and-a-half, the toxin would loose nearly all of it's potency and the wells would be drinkable again because the source of the poison is not perpetually inside the water.

3) Jin'li was caught by Alexei, Warren, Erik, Saravena, and others immediately following his last poisoning.  Alexei and Saravena both know who Jin'li is by name and face and Warren had seen Jin'li dump something in a well. Warnings were being send out via IC immediately after I logged back on as Askier after Jin'li escaped.

4) Jin'li is planning on people thinking the city is under attack.  The reaction of the city being under matrial law is, in my mind, the most logical reaction and the one that Ul'dah is currently under with curfews, and rationed supplies.  Jin'li's goal is, truly, to sow panic.  He doesn't -really- serve the Empire, only the voices in his head.  I planned events number 2 and 3 to be extremely one-sided for the heroes because of the increased security.  Hence why I need npcs for them.  Everyone wants to be a hero Angel . lol

(07-14-2014, 01:30 PM)Zhavi Wrote:
(07-14-2014, 01:14 PM)Melkire Wrote: Case in point: depending on how things go, Osric may get taken into custody, thrown in prison, charged with treason, scheduled to hang, broken out of prison, and have to flee for his life. Alternatively, depending on how any potential plea is received, he may be exiled, or taken into a black ops unit, or hanged, etc. ...

Orrrr maybe Zhi will finally have a way to firmly put him under thumb and therefore removed as a threat.  Teehee.  Now just to update ic knowledge. . .Undecided

I hope that any merchant/trader FCs are getting involved in this!  This is the sort of thing that makes me wish I had that sort of character.  Legit rp reason to broker deals under tension?  Yes please!

I really admire all the hard work in the rp that is happening in Ul'dah, ooc tensions aside.  Do remember that this is only Askier's second event, and that it's impossible to organize things in a way that will please everyone when there are a lot of people involved.  I think if something happens that you don't like, or you like to be kept oocly informed, just pm the organizers and ask them to next time please give you a heads up as you don't like feeling like the rug has been pulled out from under you.  That way they can surprise the people who like being surprised while not making anyone feel like they've been duped.  Win/win?

Keep up the good work, you lot.  This rp sounds so delicious.

edit - and remember, playing the blame game isn't fun either.  I know for me sometimes I can do something and be all happy and excited and think it's cool -- only to have someone really upset because it wasn't the sort of thing they're into.  It happens.  It's easy to forget that the sort of rp you're comfortable with and love isn't the sort that everyone else loves.

It's rp!  Rather than feel upset, put heads together and start working out ways to solve the problems at hand.  Smile  You're all super talented, creative people.  I have faith.

I appreciate the compliment Zhavi.  Big Grin

My real world job requires I work 55 hours a week, 6 days a week, often 12 hour days.  I know, for a fact, that sometimes I let things slip through the cracks on my events, or my rp, because of my work schedule and that is why I always ask that people roll with any hiccups that I know will occur. I feel bad cause there has been so many complications and confusion as a result of this event and it is my fault for not clarifying things.  I simple ask for patience and understanding with this event and with me as there are over 40 people participating IC'ly to some degree or another currently and that I deal with an enormous amount of PM's and rp currently.  I have never, ever, run an rp event this massive before.  My last event was a bit smaller....okay a lot smaller. Big Grin lol.

Like I told Aya via PM, I am always happy to have feedback.

I hope that I was able to clear at least a few things up with this wall of text. Thumbsup

And, of course, you are all awesome and I love my time on this forumn and in this game.  If you all weren't so awesome, I would never have thought to run events like this one and my last one.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Askier - 07-14-2014

Oh..I almost forgot and this is super importantUndecided.

I was unaware of the fact that, during the Satruday event, there was -not- a search party looking for Jin'li.  I had been under the impression there was going to be one and when  several people (who apparently were not related to the event) -did- stop me while I emoted, including Warren, I assumed that these people were part of an effort to stop me.  It wasn't till -after- the event that I learned from Aya that said search party had never been implemented due to confusion/schedules not working out/ general chaos of trying to mange an event of this size and I do feel bad for that.  Frustrated

This was a hiccup and I am sorry since most of the feedback has been regarding this particular issue.  It was simple miscommunication and I don't want anyone to think I tried to manipulate events to my favor in anyway.  Like I said, baddies gotta lose and I very much went into this event planing to lose. 

Also, the collar situation...um...let me say, simply that I never planned to collar more than three people.  Osric, Kanaria, and Leilani.  However, one of my baddies, whom has been a huge help, said he thought using them against some people would make sense and could he have the go ahead and try to.  I said sure, so long as the players agreed ooc.  To my knowledge, everyone whom is now collared did agree ooc.  But seriously, I never planned on so many...funny how rp happens...lol.

And just in case people were wondering, yes I do have a plan to disarm explosive on collars currently being undertaken.  Was planned all along, just not for so many people.  LOL.  Big Grin

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Warren Castille - 07-14-2014

I'm so glad today was a slow day at work. I've been putting a ton of thought into everything going on in Eorzea.

It's gonna be a shame we have to wait until Saturday to continue.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - C'kayah Polaali - 07-14-2014

(07-14-2014, 03:18 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I'm so glad today was a slow day at work. I've been putting a ton of thought into everything going on in Eorzea.

It's gonna be a shame we have to wait until Saturday to continue.
Pffft! RP never sleeps! Just because the next big event isn't until next Saturday doesn't mean there won't be more RP around this in the mean time...

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Ragnar - 07-14-2014

[/quote]

Erik, Warren, Alexei, and Saravena caught up with Jin'li just as he was finishing. Of these, the latter two know Jin'li by name and sight and Alexei is familiar with Blue Blood Strand 1. It would not be a stretch for these four individuals to compare notes and realize what the Garlean was up to... especially if they took said notes to Kahn'a, who, of the heroes, has the most personal experience with Epinoch sans Askier himself.
[/quote]

Alexei will not be able to share any of his knowledge for a little while.

Also in regards to the idea of plea bargaining, that is a very real possibility. It happens all the time in our justice system and isn't always ratting out the leadership. Many people are given the choice to plead guilty to a lesser crime as a way of keeping the courts from being too clogged. For something like this, those kinds of pleas could be a very real thing given how many people are involved and how long it would take to take each person to trial.

Someone said something about the authorities not releasing descriptions of those involved and I would agree with this. If they released descriptions there would be a very real concern over vigilante justice. Since the city is already in some degree of panic and the guards must be on watch for more attacks, they really wouldn't have time to deal with people taking justice into their own hands.

Anywho, my two cents.

RE: Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Sign up here))(Under Construction)) - Kage - 07-14-2014

I'm sorry, but I plan to do some RPing after I take a nap!

I went back home early from work cause i'm feeling like crap. Hopefully the nap works. Anyway, Kage's plans involve working a more... forceful effort.

He's not one for reconnaissance to say the least.

For the record: as far as the Brass Blades are concerned only the names of Jin'li and Osric are being released. Any known associates of Osric are only persons of interest and just questioned.

(07-14-2014, 03:35 PM)ExKage Wrote: He's not one for reconnaissance to say the least.
We all play to our strengths, man. Big Grin