Hydaelyn Role-Players
Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Thoughts on the Au Ra? (/showthread.php?tid=9359)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Warren Castille - 12-22-2014

Japan.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Aaron - 12-22-2014

My question was ignored Cry

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Berrod Armstrong - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 01:14 PM)Aaron Wrote: How much is the expansion? Do you buy it off Mog Station? 

I swear for some reason I never heard that part of anything regarding the expansion.
It's not for sale yet, I think!

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Steel Wolf - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 01:51 PM)Aaron Wrote: My question was ignored Cry

Sorry, we were all distracted by Shiva x Dragon naughty grindy times.

(12-22-2014, 01:14 PM)Aaron Wrote: How much is the expansion? Do you buy it off Mog Station? 

I swear for some reason I never heard that part of anything regarding the expansion.

No prices have been announced yet. Matter of fact, purchasing hasn't really been elaborated upon more beyond the fact that there'll be a special edition and that it all releases Spring 2015.

Ok! Thanks ^_^

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Zyrusticae - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 01:40 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 01:35 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: We don't even know if the Au Ra come from this alleged union so it's just thought exercise since SE decided to give us all pictures and no words.

I beat the "realism" drum around here a lot and will continue to do so, but once things clearly become magical it's a lot easier to let go of the argument.

...do you think she laid eggs, though?
I HAD AN EXTREMELY VIVID AND MIND-BREAKING MENTAL PICTURE OF THAT -- and then I realized human women squeeze out kids. Suddenly an egg don't seem so bad...
At the risk of breaking your brain more, realize that oviposition is an actual fetish that is more popular than you would think.

(I personally don't see the appeal, but I also don't see the appeal in fetishizing pregnancy so what do I know?)

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Seriphyn - 12-22-2014

Given that FFXIV leans more towards "scientific world with fantastical elements" rather than "fantastical world" straightup, I would hope that Au Ra have been naturally evolved like all of the other five Eorzean races.

Otherwise, here we go, special snowflake race...

(12-22-2014, 02:01 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 01:40 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 01:35 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: We don't even know if the Au Ra come from this alleged union so it's just thought exercise since SE decided to give us all pictures and no words.

I beat the "realism" drum around here a lot and will continue to do so, but once things clearly become magical it's a lot easier to let go of the argument.

...do you think she laid eggs, though?
I HAD AN EXTREMELY VIVID AND MIND-BREAKING MENTAL PICTURE OF THAT -- and then I realized human women squeeze out kids. Suddenly an egg don't seem so bad...
At the risk of breaking your brain more, realize that oviposition is an actual fetish that is more popular than you would think.

(I personally don't see the appeal, but I also don't see the appeal in fetishizing pregnancy so what do I know?)
Sadly, my mind has already been wrecked by that particular discovery. I remember asking oh so innocently 'isn't oviposition something bugs do...?'. Guild chat went silent. Then someone shakily spoke up and explained. I was never the same.

To each their own I guess!

Oh! The Au Ra racial outfits! They're so cool looking! Like rags, except awesome. That scaly shoulder-strap thing appeals to me for reasons I can't even explain.

The bare stomach appeals to me in reasons I can explain very well.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Gegenji - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 02:07 PM)Seriphyn Wrote: Otherwise, here we go, special snowflake race...

Well, we ARE talking about a race that may or may not be the children of Shiva.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Oli! - 12-22-2014

You guys are getting pretty Naulty with all these ice puns and reproduction talks.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Iex - 12-22-2014

Honestly... you cannot apply real world science to a land of magic.

Furthermore, I know quite a bit of people irl who only go up to the shoulder's of the opposite gender. Variation like that can only have a certain extent of demonstration in a game. In FFXIV (except for Lalafell) even the max height of a female of any race is only a couple inches at best taller than a minimum height of the male counterpart. It is a standard set by the artistic team. The Au Ra are a bit of an extreme example of this but still fall into the standard.

As for the physical traits differing from the rest of the races, there actually is less than people seem to think.

The head shape actually is quite similar to each other by what limited pictures we have. The female head is slightly more rounded which is more fitting for a shape of the body they have, while the male is slightly more oval to fit the taller build, but both come to a "point" at the chin. It is harder to see on the males because instead of facial hair they have the scales along their chin which gives them the rougher look everyone wishes the females had.  Once again this is present in all races, females have rounder heads while men have more oval or square. If anything the Au Ra are closer together than others because their jaw shape is very similar.

The horns: They are different, no denying that, but what is the problem with having different horns for the sexes. Lots of games give gender specific traits, but as for the SIZE. If we were to shrink down the height of the male to the height of the female, I believe that the horns would be proportionally similar in size. However directionally they will be different.

The brow: Females have a softer brow than the males. That is once again an artistic standard for every race. While for some of them (elezen and Miqote) (excluding Lalafell because there is relatively zero difference between male and female in comparison to other races) you can give the male a very soft brow, as standard male of all races have a firmer brow.

The eyes: Eye style is very, very varied between options, but once again a standard of 'softer and more round eyes' exists for all females. THE EXCEPTION being Roegadyn where it is the inverse. Males have the rounder and somewhat softer eyes, while females have the piercing narrow eyes.

The Noses: Noses in general are weird and EXTREMELY varied between the options we see. If anything there is nigh zero dimorphism between the male and female pictured short of the size of height of the bridge of the nose, which is once again present on all races in character creator or not depending on the nose you pick.

Ears: I didn't see any ears on Au Ra... just horns.

Lip: Going through character creator, once again I noticed a trend: Pale lips for men that are 'flat' and pursed lips with color for women. Now I know you can change lips in the character creator to give men larger lips... but since we are going off 'standards' and the pictures we are given, the lips are actually less dimorphic than the rest of the races.

Poses: Yes the poses they provided seem to provide different personalities to the genders.

Builds: This is the only truly dimorphic aspect that does not fit perfectly into the present art style, or does it? Look at Roegadyn, Massive Hulking men, but in comparison slender females. In all races, (except Lalafell because zero difference) the females of this particular art style are always more slender and less broad. Even highlander females look petite compared to the male counterparts.

So... really the only thing extremely different is the Height and Horns. Likely the issue of dimorphic differences is because both females possess a pale complexion compared to the males of darker color, which gives the feeling of porcelain dolls. However, we all know better. The character creator has zero limitations between make and female skin tones.

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Warren Castille - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 02:17 PM)Iex Wrote: science

but tumblr taught me these words they can't be wrong

Everyone knows once you put a quote on a internet picture it's true.

Someone say Au Ra are Shiva kids! Quick!

RE: Thoughts on the Au Ra? - Oli! - 12-22-2014

(12-22-2014, 02:17 PM)Iex Wrote: So... really the only thing extremely different is the Height and Horns.

Our point of disappointment, now summarized for your viewing pleasure.

(12-22-2014, 02:17 PM)Iex Wrote: Something other than going MNEH.
Yay research with documented results!