Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) (/showthread.php?tid=513)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Kylin - 09-02-2010

To be honest, only having 10 servers available for OPEN beta was a dumb decision on Square Enix's part. They should have at least had 15. I'm willing to bet that they'll be adding several more very soon.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Mycroft - 09-02-2010

sweetidealism Wrote:I don't think I've heard of any larger groups going to Kashuan, Gysahl, or Istory, so any one of those three would be ideal, no?

I know of one group going to Kashuan, named Disdain.. They're a quite large End-game ls.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Rhio - 09-02-2010

CrimsonVonSanguine Wrote:A revote will put us in the same mess, we would just end up picking another "pretty" or "popular" name. If we vote on anything, I'd say we vote on investing someone with the responsibility of picking a server and discussing some pros and cons with the community :3

Not necessarily. The reason why everyone picked the name they liked most at the start is because we had precisely zero information as to what groups were going to what servers. We had loose guesses based on mapping bosses to games to cities, but those only panned out to an extent. (IX's boss server was Necron, I believe, and who in the world was rolling there?) Furthermore, there are several cities who didn't wind up getting any initial votes, and as a result they never had a chance once Lindblum and Besaid started approaching critical mass.

In other words, I think the initial vote (and quite possibly the final vote - I'll abide by the results with due diligence) went with surface qualities because we lacked any other meaningful criteria. We have more meaningful measurements to go by now.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Smiling River - 09-02-2010

Quote:While I'm not the sort to advocate disrupting the democratic process except when I do, it might be prudent in light of developments to call for a re-vote. We know more now than we did when the vote started, and votes were being primarily cast on the basis of which game we liked more. Our data about who was going where was being collected at the same time as the votes were being cast, and that results in a bit of chaos.

The bold text is the problem. Lots of voters were just picking randomly or voting for the most popular on the poll. If you vote with no reason, you wont get reasonable results Wink

Obviously this is a huge problem at the moment. Let's just wait out the 24hours and see where we are, and where the rest of the major communities are. Maybe we can have a reasonable server alternative, and we can vote either to keep these results or go to that server which less people have already claimed.

Also, the general population that will pick up the game on launch with no idea where different groups are going will probably be attracted to our current leader. New general player, new RPers, the current RPC and a few other communities? If we stick with it, we're screwed.

I wouldn't expect people to wait an hour after work to get in 30min of playtime.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - foxfirestorm - 09-02-2010

My friend (who is more into FF) says the safer servers to probably go to are Cornelia, Kashuan, and Gysahl, because..
1) They are absurd names
2) They were from the old school FF, which mostly people are not familiar with.
3) and now a days, people think of Gysahl, they think of Chocobos (wark!)

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Shamadconde - 09-02-2010

Here's an idea. If we choose to have a revote, let's have it on the 15th. Everyone will have access to the beta by then and the various factions will have chosen their server. Plus if Squenix adds servers (which they SOOO should) we can have more choices. Just a thought.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Siben - 09-02-2010

I say we wait it out until Square drops the actually complete list of servers for Live (you know, the whole 20 they said they were going to have?) and do another vote before OB ends.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - falcolas - 09-02-2010

We have a council, let them decide. A small group can make a reasonable decision faster than us as a democracy can. We're already trusting them with the fates of our roleplaying interaction, why not the server choice?

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Mycroft - 09-02-2010

Shamad Conde Wrote:Here's an idea. If we choose to have a revote, let's have it on the 15th. Everyone will have access to the beta by then and the various factions will have chosen their server. Plus if Squenix adds servers (which they SOOO should) we can have more choices. Just a thought.

I agree with this.. And this time we should consider having it as a 48 hour vote.. Such things shouldn't be rushed, but on the other hand with all the info we're likely to have it should be quicker.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Rhio - 09-02-2010

The full list is back up once again.

As an aside, I know I was the one who put forth the idea of a revote, but I don't in any way mean that as a condemnation of the current process. I just want to make sure that we wind up with the best possible home we can. I am also a lifelong proponent of the idea that home is where you are, not where you wish you could be, so take from that what you will.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - CrimsonVonSanguine - 09-02-2010

Rhio Wrote:
CrimsonVonSanguine Wrote:A revote will put us in the same mess, we would just end up picking another "pretty" or "popular" name. If we vote on anything, I'd say we vote on investing someone with the responsibility of picking a server and discussing some pros and cons with the community :3

Not necessarily. The reason why everyone picked the name they liked most at the start is because we had precisely zero information as to what groups were going to what servers. We had loose guesses based on mapping bosses to games to cities, but those only panned out to an extent. (IX's boss server was Necron, I believe, and who in the world was rolling there?) Furthermore, there are several cities who didn't wind up getting any initial votes, and as a result they never had a chance once Lindblum and Besaid started approaching critical mass.

In other words, I think the initial vote (and quite possibly the final vote - I'll abide by the results with due diligence) went with surface qualities because we lacked any other meaningful criteria. We have more meaningful measurements to go by now.

Actually, the News Room thread regarding server selection did an admirable job of keeping track of which communities were going to which servers.

The fact is, most voters just didn't care. Which is no surprise.

But even ignoring that, once we do have more information regarding the servers, and we do get an idea of where would be best, doesn't necessarily mean the majority of voters will select that server.

I dunno, it just seems a little silly and unnecessarily bureaucratic.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Satisiun - 09-02-2010

Rhio Wrote:The full list is back up once again.

And that is all that matters.

I got to confess, I sort of get this "Oh god it's doomsday!" vibe at the moment from some people. The server vanishes for, what ... a half hour? Maybe a little more? And suddenly it's the end of days, Democracy is bad, and so on and so forth.

Chillax, folks. I apologize if I am overstepping any sort of rank boundaries since I'm just a lowly voter and not a member of the council, or someone who has 100+ posts, but put things in perspective. We're 20 days out from actual release still. Give things at least a couple of days to see how things go, if servers are actually "full" for more than an hour, and let cooler heads prevail.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Jaytyr - 09-02-2010

booo I am on campus so I can't log in and poke it with a stick to see what server has what population or make a character yet. Have my code.. just can't log in from school. The only problem I see with a re-vote is that A) it may have the same results B) It said we wouldn't re-vote. I still say Gysahl ftw, but thats cause I am a nerd. Either way I go with whatever you guys decide. In the hypothetical situation that we would have someone pick for us I think we all know who it would be hehe Cast ftw >.>

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Aveline - 09-02-2010

Quote:(you know, the whole 20 they said they were going to have?)

While I'm pretty sure they will add more, S-E has never said they definitely would, though if you can find an official source please correct me if I'm wrong. The only thing they've said about the number of servers is on the beta tester site:

Quote:Information on worlds that will be available in FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test has been posted.
*New worlds may be added depending on the number of participating beta testers.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Eeam - 09-02-2010

Well, Cornelia was going to be my second vote anyway. :U /sigh