Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP Confession Thread - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP Confession Thread (/showthread.php?tid=12923)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: RP Confession Thread - Vale - 08-18-2015

(08-18-2015, 08:26 PM)Aaron Wrote: Since we're on the topic of ERP.

Confession is every time I go somewhere I pray to god almighty there's a ERP session happening nearby and they mistell if only once and I can clearly read it.
The closest I've come is when I was discussing a particularly... raunchy bit of ERP I'd come across (not me doing it, but others) with someone in private. Some slightly disturbing stuff. Accidentally posted in /ls instead of /p and I think I scarred a bunch of people for life with the details ^_^

RE: RP Confession Thread - Flickering Ember - 08-18-2015

(08-14-2015, 06:26 PM)tortles Wrote:
  • I am guilty of internal monologuing a lot, and I'm glad to see this comment posted! I always wonder if it annoys people. I do it for a few reasons. It's a way to me to explore my character's thoughts by getting something out into writing, rather than letting it swim around in my head. Sometimes a situation doesn't call for speaking or acting, so I want to show that I'm engaged in and aware of the situation by contributing a post. I don't mind that it's revealing anything, because to me it's similar to how you'll see cutscenes of a part of the story that you're not physically present at. It's a snippet more for the player than the character.

This may as well be my confession. I do internal monologuing. However, I also have zero shame for it. Here's the honest truth: I am not a good writer. Actually, I very rarely do writing prompts and even more rarely do I write up short stories for my characters. I do like reading people's stories but I don't do it as often as I could.

I'm not really here to read and write stories, though. I'm not an English major, I don't write fanfiction, and I'm pretty sure my grasp on essay-perfect English is deteriorating as I get older. I see RP as a lot different than writing a story. It is a "story" in a sense, but I see it more as getting to participate in a living world.

What does this have to do with internal monologuing? Well, my personal belief that internal monologuing can be the result of 'eh' writing skill. Though, it's also going to dip into time restrictions as well. I am not going to sit there for several minutes, trying to describe perfectly what my character's facial expressions are.

Not at all, I am going to bluntly state what my character is feeling so you can get a rough idea what their expression looks like so our RP doesn't take longer to get through. (I know I personally don't have all the time in the world) Though, with body language being much more of human communication than words, a lot of what you should be seeing is indescribable. 

I put a lot of importance on facial expressions because 1. I don't think RPers focus on the non-verbal aspects of characters enough and 2. A lot of communication from humans lies in their reactions, rather than their words. 

TL;DR If I am internal monologuing, it's because I want you to imagine that 'internal monologue' as a facial expression. I always try to give others something more substantial to work off of too, as I can also see the frustration of not getting enough to react off of. 
(Confession turned into ranting a little bit but eh. You don't have to like it but those are my reasons!)

RE: RP Confession Thread - Jana - 08-19-2015

Confession is every time I go somewhere I pray to god almighty there's a ERP session happening nearby and they mistell if only once and I can clearly read it.

This seems to happen to me EVERY TIME I EVER TALK ABOUT ANYTHING LEWD

I don't even ERP on this game (though it's more the fault of my spaghetticat character than anything else)!

RE: RP Confession Thread - McBeefâ„¢ - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 02:49 AM)Jana Wrote:

This seems to happen to me EVERY TIME I EVER TALK ABOUT ANYTHING LEWD

I don't even ERP on this game (though it's more the fault of my spaghetticat character than anything else)!

I don't think a night has gone by that Jana hasn't misstelled some vaguely sexy link to another linkshell.

It's why we keep her around ;D

RE: RP Confession Thread - Melodia - 08-19-2015

(08-18-2015, 08:32 PM)McBeefâ„¢ Wrote:

Or you could join in. 

/em rubs on butt
/em swoons as she watches

RE: RP Confession Thread - Aaron - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 07:06 AM)Melodia Wrote:

Or you could join in. 

/em rubs on butt
Now now ladies please,  not in public. <3

RE: RP Confession Thread - Telluride - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 09:05 AM)Aaron Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 07:06 AM)Melodia Wrote:

Or you could join in. 

/em rubs on butt
Now now ladies please,  not in public. <3

Just another day in the pub scene. Add a few shots and some mood music and you're good to go. Bard available for hire.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Kaiz - 08-19-2015

edit: Ignore me. I somehow forgot there was 11 more pages to look at.

... wait, I can use this!

Confession: I often post before reading the whole thread Big Grin

RE: RP Confession Thread - Lilia Lia - 08-19-2015

Actual confession incoming.

I confess that, if anything about your character's backstory is something I find ridiculous or implausible, then I am probably going to avoid any kind of in-depth RP with your character regarding their background.  The result is that I am likely never going to have a deep and profound personal connection with your character, even if it would have made sense for that to happen in the context of our relationship.

So I guess this comes down to me being very critical of people's character backstories, maybe a little more than I should be.  It's just because I actually do avoid situations or stories that don't have credibility in my eyes because they're harmful to my immersion.  But it's definitely closed off some opportunities for me and caused me to alienate a few people.

(Also, I'm not proud of it. I think it's something I need to work on. That's why I consider it a confession.)

RE: RP Confession Thread - Lilia Lia - 08-19-2015

(08-18-2015, 11:02 PM)Flickering Ember Wrote:
(08-14-2015, 06:26 PM)tortles Wrote:
  • I am guilty of internal monologuing a lot, and I'm glad to see this comment posted! I always wonder if it annoys people. I do it for a few reasons. It's a way to me to explore my character's thoughts by getting something out into writing, rather than letting it swim around in my head. Sometimes a situation doesn't call for speaking or acting, so I want to show that I'm engaged in and aware of the situation by contributing a post. I don't mind that it's revealing anything, because to me it's similar to how you'll see cutscenes of a part of the story that you're not physically present at. It's a snippet more for the player than the character.

This may as well be my confession. I do internal monologuing. However, I also have zero shame for it. Here's the honest truth: I am not a good writer. Actually, I very rarely do writing prompts and even more rarely do I write up short stories for my characters. I do like reading people's stories but I don't do it as often as I could.

[...]

If I am internal monologuing, it's because I want you to imagine that 'internal monologue' as a facial expression. I always try to give others something more substantial to work off of too, as I can also see the frustration of not getting enough to react off of.

I want to speak to this a little bit.  I don't think internal monologues are inherently bad and I wish people would stop spreading their opinion on this matter as though it were some kind of objective standard.  I know the difference between what my character can see and what I can read.  I know that if your character's post reveals a bit of their feelings that this is just to add enjoyment to the scene or give me insight into your character.  I actually really like it, too.  It's not bad writing, it can be very good writing and it can make the scene more enjoyable.

There are people I RP with who make use of internal monologue and literary techniques like Free Indirect Discourse which I'm sure drive some people crazy, but I love them.  It helps me understand the character and it helps me interpret the scene.  It gives me context for the way their character is acting, expressing themselves, and so on.  It's an aid to my imagination, regardless of whether my character herself gleans anything from it.

I'd say you should continue to tastefully internally monologue and people who don't like it can just deal with it.  Don't go overboard, be reasonable, and stand up for yourself if people criticize it as though it's a flaw.  It's not.

It's also, I think, a good avenue for introverted characters who want to keep their RP interesting. It's sure a lot more interesting than watching how many adjectives you can cram into a description of them leaning against a wall with their arms crossed, or taking a sip of beer.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Caspar - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 10:34 AM)Lilia Lia Wrote: Actual confession incoming.

I confess that, if anything about your character's backstory is something I find ridiculous or implausible, then I am probably going to avoid any kind of in-depth RP with your character regarding their background.  The result is that I am likely never going to have a deep and profound personal connection with your character, even if it would have made sense for that to happen in the context of our relationship.

So I guess this comes down to me being very critical of people's character backstories, maybe a little more than I should be.  It's just because I actually do avoid situations or stories that don't have credibility in my eyes because they're harmful to my immersion.  But it's definitely closed off some opportunities for me and caused me to alienate a few people.
Being critical seems to be your hat. XD
But I guess if you're very sensitive to things taking you out of the rp, I can understand that.
Myself, I am never "fully immersed." Writing is just another experience to me; I can get pretty invested, sure, but I'm also constantly comparing any work I enjoy with about a dozen other similar works as I watch it. It's like this idea of "dry" and "wet" enjoyment of entertainment media I heard on some site. Certain types of fans are able to simultaneously enjoy their hobby as a consumer and embrace it without shame, but at the same time pick apart and ridicule its flaws. It's this weird dissonance that most people can't deal with and leads them to abandon a hobby rather than stick with it, but some have addictive personalities and can't let go easily.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Leggerless - 08-19-2015

Also, my very first RP I did when I came to Balmung?

A monologue with a vanilla cake. Sweet, delicious cake.

I had to start somewhere.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Aaron - 08-19-2015

(08-19-2015, 06:48 PM)Leggerless Wrote: Also, my very first RP I did when I came to Balmung?

I was talking to a bottle while dancing on a quicksand table.

You're not alone my friend.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Verad - 08-20-2015

I don't immerse, don't value immersion, and find the emphasis on it in roleplay in terms of how best to achieve it and the quite-often minor things that disrupt it to be baffling.

RE: RP Confession Thread - Kage - 08-20-2015

(08-19-2015, 06:55 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(08-19-2015, 06:48 PM)Leggerless Wrote: Also, my very first RP I did when I came to Balmung?

I was talking to a bottle while dancing on a quicksand table.

You're not alone my friend.
Wasn't quite my first but one of the first few things... Kage spoke to the Lalafell NPC that sits at the bar in the quicksand.