Hydaelyn Role-Players
Plausibility of Vampire RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Plausibility of Vampire RP (/showthread.php?tid=13520)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Vyce - 09-22-2015

Honestly, I can see how some people might be under the misconception that because Roleplay is pretending, you can pretend to be anything your heart desires.

Thing is, you are bound by the universe in which you play. You cannot be a werewolf, or a vampire in our world because they do not exist. You can be a vampire or a werewolf in a pretend version of our world that you imagined, but that is because you are the creator of that reality.

Square Enix is the God of Eorzea. They are the creators and destroyers of everything that exists in the worlds of Final Fantasy and our characters are subject to their whims. We could find out that Lalafell only eat candy and were created to be the slovenly servants of the Roegadyn and make toys for all the Roe children in the North pole, and that would be lore because Enix wrote it that was.

The creativity we are allowed to explore here is not limited by our imaginations; its limited by Enix's imagination team.

You could be a succubus like Amandine Haukke and gain power through the suffering of others and the selling of your soul. You could feast on blood and be a slave to the night or anything Enix puts in the lore of Succubi.
Succubi in Enix lore is not the same as Succubi in IRL lore, so you always need to be sure you know everything you can about what you are playing. The parameters are predefined and not up to you to alter.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Allister Dedrick - 09-22-2015

i think the whole 'atmosphere' of vampirism could exist, like as in some cannibal cult of people

they wouldn't be called vampires though, they would just be a collective of people who went batshit insane (ayyyy)

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - SicketySix - 09-22-2015

The problem with these topics stem from the OP in most cases, even when asking for criticism or opinions, usually do not give a damn about them unless they line up with what the want.

OP asked what in the lore would support his roleplay and that was found to be nothing.

Just because there are blood sucking bats, eels, monsters and etc in the world does not remotely mean that vampires are lore friendly. They are not.

That being said, you are free to RP however you want. We have no rule or control over what you do. Just don't come here pretending you care what anyone will think if you obviously do not.

My advice to you is find people similar to what you want to RP as and stick with them. Stay away from people who do not appreciate lore bending, which is about 98% of the people on these forums.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - McBeefâ„¢ - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 12:01 PM)Allister Dedrick Wrote: i think the whole 'atmosphere' of vampirism could exist, like as in some cannibal cult of people

they wouldn't be called vampires though, they would just be a collective of people who went batshit insane (ayyyy)
As S'imba and others have said, there is a vampire legend in Eorzea.

Or otherwise they wouldn't keep naming things Vampire _________ .

So they probably would call themselves vampires.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Warren Castille - 09-22-2015

"You should be afraid," the man said in a strange, exotic accent. His piercing gaze caused his prey to freeze in fear as he took his time moving to the poor woman intended to be his next victim. "You are in the grasp of the vampyr..." He snarled, uttering the word with all of the power it contained and implied.

The woman's features were struck cold, and then after a moment she frowned as her eyebrows narrowed in puzzlement. "Like... the fish?" The disillusioned woman waved a hand and stalked away. "I'm not dying to some stupid fish. You don't even have gills!"

Baffled, the vampyr raised a hand to try and stop her as she moved away. "Wait!" He cried uselessly. "Wait! I... I have lots of money..."

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Sylentmana - 09-22-2015

Did you guys know that in Japanese mythology, vampires survive more by eating fecal matter and insects than blood. They do drink blood, but most often prefer a nice tasty shit sandwich.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Sounsyy - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 12:04 PM)Casden Reeves Wrote: Just because there are blood sucking bats, eels, monsters and etc in the world does not remotely mean that vampires are lore friendly. They are not.

The problem with this is that Eorzean rumors and fearmongering associated with these 'vampiric' creatures is that the rumors have to stem from something.

Garlean Garlic Wrote:A pungent spice used to flavor many different varieties of dishes. It is also thought to ward off vampiric bats, but there is no evidence to substantiate that claim.

Vampiric Tapestry Wrote:Despite the fear-inducing moniker, this flying cephalopod neither sups on blood nor transforms into a bat. Rumors that it does not cast a shadow are unfounded, and all manner of stakes, from oak, to iron, to granite, to cermet, have been found effective in impaling this rather peaceful creature of the clouds.

Garlic repels vampires? Stakes kill vampires? Vampires transform into bats? All of these things are born of Real World mythologies of human vampires. You're not going to drive a stake through a fruit bat's heart to kill it. So the fact that these rumors exist, with the additional repeated use of the term 'vampiric' being used to describe several hematophagous creatures hints to a human folktale origin.

Again, whether actual living, breathing, non-mythological vampires exist in the lore is unknown, but the myth of humanoid vampires certainly does exist. Which entirely discredits the does not exist in lore argument. That does not mean vampires would have powers, burn in sunlight, or whatever the hell else you wanna bring into the 'verse. I'm simply saying lore supports their mythological existence, nothing more, nothing less.

(09-22-2015, 12:27 PM)Sylentmana Wrote: Did you guys know that in Japanese mythology, vampires survive more by eating fecal matter and insects than blood. They do drink blood, but most often prefer a nice tasty shit sandwich.
Thats why I want to be one.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Ignacius - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 12:27 PM)Sylentmana Wrote: Did you guys know that in Japanese mythology, vampires survive more by eating fecal matter and insects than blood. They do drink blood, but most often prefer a nice tasty shit sandwich.

It sounds like that influenced the Twilight series...

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Oli! - 09-22-2015

What if the vampire legends come from the bats and not actual vampires?

(09-22-2015, 12:34 PM)Oli! Wrote: What if the vampire legends come from the bats and not actual vampires?
Yes because they are so dangerous you need a mythological tradition of shapeshifting supernatural beings to defend from a bat that can bite u.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Sylentmana - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 12:33 PM)Ignacius Wrote:

I know Japanese vampires like to eat shit, but even they wouldn't touch that abomination of literature/film.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Ignacius - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 12:37 PM)Sylentmana Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 12:33 PM)Ignacius Wrote:

I know Japanese vampires like to eat shit, but even they wouldn't touch that abomination of literature/film.

They probably wouldn't mind the sparkling, though... >.>

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Caspar - 09-22-2015

I thought that was a non blood drinking youkai, akaname, who licked filth from bathrooms and people.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - SicketySix - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 12:46 PM)Caspar Wrote:
I thought that was a non blood drinking youkai, akaname, who licked filth from bathrooms and people.
Where do you people even find this stuff??
lmao