Hydaelyn Role-Players
Plausibility of Vampire RP - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Plausibility of Vampire RP (/showthread.php?tid=13520)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Sounsyy - 09-22-2015

...I mean... very technically, vampirism does exist as canon in FFXIV's lore...
But that's all I'm gonna say on the matter. Please continue this 130 page whateveryouwannacallit.

Garlean Garlic Wrote:A pungent spice used to flavor many different varieties of dishes. It is also thought to ward off vampiric bats, but there is no evidence to substantiate that claim.

Vampiric Tapestry Wrote:Despite the fear-inducing moniker, this flying cephalopod neither sups on blood nor transforms into a bat. Rumors that it does not cast a shadow are unfounded, and all manner of stakes, from oak, to iron, to granite, to cermet, have been found effective in impaling this rather peaceful creature of the clouds.

Vampire Lampern Wrote:Just as its name implies, the vampire lampern is indeed a sucker of blood, using its multiple rows of teeth to latch onto its prey, whether it be sea or land creature, and bore a hole from which to drink.

Barbastelle Wrote:The vampire bat Barbastelle has many epithets, the only remotely flattering one being "the laird of Blind Iron Mines." While cattle mutilations are hardly any one creature's domain, experts are united in the view that the infamous mass draining of the herd at Red Rooster Stead - the so called "Big Gulp" - is the work of Barbastelle.

Wulgaru Wrote:Wulgaru, the false tree. Not a few poachers have vanished after being bound overnight to these vampiric man-eaters by unsuspecting Wood Wailers. The Wulgaru is also drawn by noise and commotion, breaking its arboreal disguise to feast on the blood of its favorite prey: man. In other words, go quietly and fight stealthily, adventurer. If a tree comes alive in the forest, you're not likely to notice until too late.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Warren Castille - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 10:54 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: lore

There are trends in those snippets: A penchant for blood, and allusions to unsavory things. Nothing about superpowers given to mortals by ensnaring elementals and somehow becoming half-spirit.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Alothia - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 10:51 AM)That Guy Wrote: Oh for the love of...I will try to delete the double post when I get home.

But on another note: WEAKNESSES. Do NOT make yourself immortal unless you have some serious weaknesses to go with it. Like..I can trap you in a butterfly net level weakness.

I got your double post. No worries.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Sounsyy - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 11:01 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:

There are trends in those snippets: A penchant for blood, and allusions to unsavory things. Nothing about superpowers given to mortals by ensnaring elementals and somehow becoming half-spirit.

I 100% agree. There is nothing about super powers. My response was related to earlier comments in the thread suggesting that vampires do not exist in the canon. And... they do... actually. Whether they're just myth, superstition, or real, I don't know, but they are, again, very technically there.

So, I was disproving earlier comments such as these:
Quote:There's no real lore-friendly way to RP vampires because there's no such thing as vampires in XIV.
Quote:There is nothing that explicitly says that they exist, therefore they do not.
Quote:So far, we've seen no vampires in game nor even any reference to them afaik.
Quote:Vampires absolutely do not exist in XIV lore. And that's.. pretty much it.

Quoting myself so as to not spam post. AND ANOTHER THING.

OP doesn't want to play a vampire. He wants to play his vampire.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Vyce - 09-22-2015

Thread title:

" Plausibility of Vampire RP "

Which would designate the subject of the thread to the plausibility of vampire RP.

Definition: Plausible
[plaw-zuh-buh l]

adjective

Having an appearance of truth or reason; seemingly worthy of approval or acceptance; credible; believable.

Translation

OP has titled the thread in a way that would lead any who visit it to assume that the subject at hand is whether or not Vampire RP is acceptable, credible, and believable in Final Fantasy 14.
There are no context clues that suggest otherwise in the post.

Answer

It is not.

Conclusion

You get the answers you ask for. If the point of the thread is not what you stated it to be, then either change the title to adequately suit your actual request, or accept the feedback of the community that is answering you honestly. We want to help you succeed and have a positive RP experience.

[Edited to add on to my points]

(09-22-2015, 11:09 AM)Vyce Wrote: Thread title:

Which would designate the subject of the thread to the plausibility of vampire RP.

[plaw-zuh-buh l]

adjective

Having an appearance of truth or reason; seemingly worthy of approval or acceptance; credible; believable.

Translation

OP has titled the thread in a way that would lead any who visit it to assume that the subject at hand is whether or not Vampire RP is acceptable, credible, and believable in Final Fantasy 14.

Answer

It is not.

Conclusion

You get the answers you ask for.

But it is, just not in the way initially presented. A wretched, sub-human creature that subsists on the essence of innocent beings falls right in line with what we currently know of Voidsent. As plenty of others mentioned, Haukke Manor visits the concept slightly. The similarities to Elizabeth Bathory are not to be dismissed, and it isn't like she caused myths or legends or anything with her actions.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Val - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 10:51 AM)Ignacius Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 10:40 AM)Val Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 10:29 AM)Ignacius Wrote: The easiest way to put this is that there appear to be symbiotic relationships where beings consume aether from other beings, particularly primals, and that's the closest that FFXIV gets to a "vampire."  However, this aether is also easily drawn from crystals.

Final Fantasy as a whole has some other games with canon vampires (the Marquis Elmdor in Tactics being the first to spring to mind), so if they were going to have blood-sucking vampires in the game, they'd be there.  It's possible they exist and haven't been introduced, but they are presently not part of the canon.  You'd be on your own and working on a person-to-person basis.

Marquis was never once identified as a vampire. His class is just a blatant copy of Samurai and he received his powers through possession of the Lucavi. He has vampire-like qualities/looks, but he isn't one.

He inflicted the status effect "Vampire", which could then be spread by that player to other players through attacks.

He isn't called a vampire, but those he infected certainly were.

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that status effect. I always assumed it was just a general name because he turned them into the living dead, but they could think/move themselves.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Kage - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 11:07 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Quoting myself so as to not spam post. AND ANOTHER THING.

Explain what's bad about this or notable about this? Since there is no "a vampire" and not all vampire mythos is the same, whose vampire is it supposed to be? Yours? Mine?

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Ignacius - 09-22-2015

Yes, they're referring to vampirism the way vampire bats are referred to.  Just as things which consume blood.

Why walking trees would drink blood is a question best posed to Square, but none of the FFXIV lore relates to stealing any kind of life force for strength except the Eikons.  And even the primals seem to get just as much life and power from crystals as they do from other beings.

(09-22-2015, 11:16 AM)Kage Wrote: Explain what's bad about this or notable about this? Since there is no "a vampire" and not all vampire mythos is the same, whose vampire is it supposed to be? Yours? Mine?

Blissfully ignoring lore (and the allowances you could use to justify these things) to shoehorn in a particular vision? There's nothing wrong with playing a vampire. Look forward to my new werewolf alt, who gained his powers when a unicorn was killed by a fragment of Dalamud and he rises to take vengeance on the Duskwights for some reason.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Nirri - 09-22-2015

Gonna be honest here I'm thinking ESO would be more your cup of tea, Celestial Mage. Atleast that game has direct lore on werewolves & vampires and what not and you won't be met with alot of 'EGH not this...' type of responses as you will here.

That being said this thread gave me a few good laughs and made my day a little bit better.

But as other people gave you suggestions to make your character more 'believable' in origins, I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Sylentmana - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 11:13 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 11:09 AM)Vyce Wrote: Thread title:

[plaw-zuh-buh l]

adjective

Translation

Answer

It is not.

Conclusion

You get the answers you ask for.

But it is, just not in the way initially presented. A wretched, sub-human creature that subsists on the essence of innocent beings falls right in line with what we currently know of Voidsent. As plenty of others mentioned, Haukke Manor visits the concept slightly. The similarities to Elizabeth Bathory are not to be dismissed, and it isn't like she caused myths or legends or anything with her actions.

The most interesting part about that is despite the allusions to vampires, she was also accused of being a werewolf.

RE: Plausibility of Vampire RP - Kage - 09-22-2015

(09-22-2015, 11:19 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 11:16 AM)Kage Wrote: Explain what's bad about this or notable about this? Since there is no "a vampire" and not all vampire mythos is the same, whose vampire is it supposed to be? Yours? Mine?

Blissfully ignoring lore (and the allowances you could use to justify these things) to shoehorn in a particular vision? There's nothing wrong with playing a vampire. Look forward to my new werewolf alt, who gained his powers when a unicorn was killed by a fragment of Dalamud and he rises to take vengeance on the Duskwights for some reason.
Sure! As many have said, feel free to do it. Whether or not you are happy with the results of said roleplay is an entirely different matter.

However, I asked you for why it is "his" vampire that is a problem and not say, "yours" or "a vampire"?

I am reminding you again,
(09-22-2015, 11:07 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Quoting myself so as to not spam post. AND ANOTHER THING.

Is it because -for only the first three pages- the topic was about elementals in his vampiric origins -idea-? After that, I have seen nothing else indicating if he has kept to it as the rest of the thread was pretty much a "this is a trollfest I want popcorn".

(09-22-2015, 11:26 AM)Kage Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 11:19 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Sure! As many have said, feel free to do it. Whether or not you are happy with the results of said roleplay is an entirely different matter.

However, I asked you for why it is "his" vampire that is a problem and not say, "yours" or "a vampire"?

I am reminding you again,
(09-22-2015, 11:07 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Quoting myself so as to not spam post. AND ANOTHER THING.

Is it because -for only the first three pages- the topic was about elementals in his vampiric origins -idea-? After that, I have seen nothing else indicating if he has kept to it as the rest of the thread was pretty much a "this is a trollfest I want popcorn".

Fair. My point was just that there exist elements he could borrow to make his idea work, and he's more interested in arguing with people than listening to the sound advice.

Nothing inherently wrong with it, but it won't find purchase inside of a greater community outside of the people he knows will accept such a vastly conflicting concept.